It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Travel question, Ukraine to South America via Europe  (Read 12698 times)

Offline jonathan_80

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Travel question, Ukraine to South America via Europe
« on: November 08, 2015, 07:42:56 AM »
Hi Everyone - Long time lurker here and finally decided to register so I can ask a travel question of the group.  I live in the US but in January will be down in Argentina on business.  I am considering flying a girl from Ukraine down for a visit once my business is done.  The itinerary would look like this:

Kiev to Barcelona
Barcelona to Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires to Mendoza (fortunately no airport change at BA required)

She would just be doing carry on luggage, so that makes one aspect much easier.  My main questions (so I can give her good advice for making her way down there) are-

- Would she need to go through Customs in Barcelona, or would she be able to stay air side in some sort of transfer terminal?  I would presume there would be no need for a Schengen transit visa, but again, that's why I'm asking. 

-  She would have an 8 hour layover in Barcelona.  Would she be able to exit the airport to see some sights?  (perhaps only if she had a Schengen visa?)

- From 99% of information I can find, it seems Ukrainians are not required to get a tourist visa for Argentina...but I have found a couple of websites that claim they are indeed required.  Has anyone heard anything different?

I appreciate any help or advice anyone would be willing to give.  Thanks! 

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
Re: Travel question, Ukraine to South America via Europe
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:58:23 AM »
Your particular questions likely would have to be answered by the Argentinian consulate. I don't know that we have anyone from Argentina here at the forum to help out. Have you looked for the Argentina government website?

Somebody here likely can answer your Schengen visa/transit question. I don't think she'll need one if she doesn't leave the secured area in Barcelona and can make her connection without doing so

Offline jonathan_80

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 10:32:47 AM »
Thanks, FP.  I had searched for the Argentina Consulate website before and all I could find was Spanish language websites.  Just now I went and looked again and up popped an English language one.  I swear it wasn't there before!   :)  According to the Consulate website, she should not need visa.  But there were a couple of official looking "visa help" sort of websites out there that advised that Ukrainians most definitely needed a visa to enter Argentina, so it confused me.  I think we're good to go on the visa. 

As to the schengen, I'm still a bit uncertain because schengen requirements can vary a bit from country to country.  From what I can tell so far since I posted, she "should" be fine going through Barcelona as both her arriving flight and departing flight are out of Terminal 1.  There should be no need to exit through Customs.  However, it seems there's no way she can leave the airport for sight seeing unless she has a proper visa.  Too bad on that.   :(  I still can't find enough info on the Madrid airport to find out whether she can do the same thing on her return trip home.  I'll keep looking and in the meantime perhaps someone here will know for certain. 

Offline GatoMoon

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 10:34:16 AM »
Hi Everyone - Long time lurker here and finally decided to register so I can ask a travel question of the group.  I live in the US but in January will be down in Argentina on business.  I am considering flying a girl from Ukraine down for a visit once my business is done.  The itinerary would look like this:

Kiev to Barcelona
Barcelona to Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires to Mendoza (fortunately no airport change at BA required)

She would just be doing carry on luggage, so that makes one aspect much easier.  My main questions (so I can give her good advice for making her way down there) are-

- Would she need to go through Customs in Barcelona, or would she be able to stay air side in some sort of transfer terminal?  I would presume there would be no need for a Schengen transit visa, but again, that's why I'm asking. 

-  She would have an 8 hour layover in Barcelona.  Would she be able to exit the airport to see some sights?  (perhaps only if she had a Schengen visa?)

- From 99% of information I can find, it seems Ukrainians are not required to get a tourist visa for Argentina...but I have found a couple of websites that claim they are indeed required.  Has anyone heard anything different?

I appreciate any help or advice anyone would be willing to give.  Thanks!

Believe it or not, I was thinking the same thing last night about inviting a girl from Kiev to Buenos Aires - but for vacation !   I had looked exactly the same route and also 8 hour layover in Barcelona too!

I also see that they do not require visa, but of course, I will have double check.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Ukrainian_citizens

I'm afraid I am not that helpful at the moment, cos I am where you are at the moment.    The only difference that I will be more advantage as I would be joining her at Barcelona airport  as I'm from UK.    I've never been to Barcelona airport but as for Madrid (for Colombia), I had to go out of a terminal and to re-check in for a different terminal.  Same goes for Rome airport when I visited Buenos Aires last May.  These 2 airports might cause problems.   It's better to double check though.

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 10:40:21 AM »
  It's better to double check though.

The nice thing about most of these situations is:  No matter how many times you check, double check, and triple check . . . you might encounter a different situation when you actually try it in person.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline jonathan_80

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »
 Thanks for that insight, Gato.  A bit concerning your experience in Madrid, but if you were coming from another Schengen or European country, you might have come in to different terminal than my girl will.  I'll definitely look in to it some more.  It would stink to have to jump through the hoops of getting a Schengen for her (if she even could) just to transit her through Madrid on the way home.  I suppose I could try to find a ticket that routes her back through Barcelona on the way home.

ML -  Definitely right there.  I can't remember which African country I went through years back, either Kenya or Tanzania, where their consulate assured me before departing that a visa was not required.  When I arrived on the plane, they looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "of course a visa is required!"  Thankfully they had option to buy it on arrival otherwise I would have been screwed.   

Offline alex330

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 02:02:06 PM »
According to the rules she is allowed one transit airport stop without a Schengen VISA I believe. Without the Schengen VISA she would not be allowed to leave the airport. Word in the FSU circles here is that Spain is stricter than some of the other countries in Europe.

No VISA needed for Ukrainian citizens if visiting Argentina for less than 90 days.

http://cnyor.mrecic.gov.ar/node/5544

Like ML says, you may encounter a different situation in persona than what the rules are and what you read online.
My wife has traveled to many Western European countries without a Schengen but was recently stopped in Estonia and entered into the database.

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 02:43:20 PM »
The nice thing about most of these situations is:  No matter how many times you check, double check, and triple check . . . you might encounter a different situation when you actually try it in person.

I had the similar problem when I first visited Belarus (in 2000).   London - Minsk but Kiev - London on my way back.   I was told that they issued visa on the border, but it wasn't.   I had to buy new flight ticket on my way back from Minsk again LOL.

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »
According to Barcelona airport, there are two Terminals. T1, built in 2009 is the main Terminal, and T2 is mainly unused, except for some low cost carriers.

Offline zooble

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 04:59:46 PM »
Firstly you need to check which terminal and airport the planned flights are in. Then your best bet is to check the airport website or travel forums.

I'm surprised no one has said anything about a holiday in another country being your first trip  :D

Offline ML

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 05:28:34 PM »

I'm surprised no one has said anything about a holiday in another country being your first trip  :D

Just an oversight to this point.

So yes, do not do it.

If you do marry a gal after your first meeting was as a holiday trip to a third country, then a divorce will occur in month 17 . . . or maybe it is month 27, can't remember which; but one of those two.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »
Thanks, FP.  I had searched for the Argentina Consulate website before and all I could find was Spanish language websites.  Just now I went and looked again and up popped an English language one.  I swear it wasn't there before!   :)  According to the Consulate website, she should not need visa.  But there were a couple of official looking "visa help" sort of websites out there that advised that Ukrainians most definitely needed a visa to enter Argentina, so it confused me.  I think we're good to go on the visa. 

As to the schengen, I'm still a bit uncertain because schengen requirements can vary a bit from country to country.  From what I can tell so far since I posted, she "should" be fine going through Barcelona as both her arriving flight and departing flight are out of Terminal 1.  There should be no need to exit through Customs.  However, it seems there's no way she can leave the airport for sight seeing unless she has a proper visa.  Too bad on that.   :(  I still can't find enough info on the Madrid airport to find out whether she can do the same thing on her return trip home.  I'll keep looking and in the meantime perhaps someone here will know for certain.

The Argentine consulate is the one I would believe. I would strongly advise you to call them to verify it. Call the Argentina embassy in Washington DC.

I'm with Alex, I don't think she needs a Shengen for one transit connection but, I'm not sure. She shouldn't need one if she's making the connection in the same airport. You can check with Spain's consulate to make sure.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 06:25:47 PM »
Firstly you need to check which terminal and airport the planned flights are in. Then your best bet is to check the airport website or travel forums.

[/b]

Don't get your panties in a twist, somebody will probably be along shortly and light him up. He asked for visa travel advice and we do try to help when we can  ;D

Offline jonathan_80

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 07:05:11 PM »
[/b]

Don't get your panties in a twist, somebody will probably be along shortly and light him up. He asked for visa travel advice and we do try to help when we can  ;D

And who said it was our first time together?  I do not see this insinuation in my OP.  I have been there to see her twice already.   8)

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 07:25:13 PM »
And who said it was our first time together?  I do not see this insinuation in my OP.  I have been there to see her twice already.   8)

It is because they assumed when they looked at your atavar.  I also need to revise my atavar too !!!

Spouse's Country: Russia
Trips: None (yet)

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 07:42:56 PM »

Wasn't me. Ask zooble  :devil:

Offline jonathan_80

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 11:35:04 PM »

Ah, I see.  I just registered today and must not have set things right.  I'll take care of that now.   :)

Offline jonathan_80

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 04:05:36 AM »
I've found out a bit more information about Madrid.  Looks like she would arrive at Terminal 1, and would need to get to Terminal 4 to depart for Kiev.  I can't find information about whether she would have to go through Customs, but it is mentioned there are special shuttle buses for "transferring non-schengen passengers with a boarding pass" between all terminals.  I'm thinking this could be good news for her situation, but it's still too vague for me to feel completely comfortable.  I'll keep searching. 

Offline zooble

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 05:21:36 AM »

haha whoops!  :devil:

When i wrote that post it had "0 trips" next to your name so I thought it was going to be the first . What a mess I've caused 8)

Offline jonathan_80

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »
Update - I found information on another forum that seems to affirm (based on info from the Madrid airport website) that she should have no problems coming back through Madrid.  Even though she will arrive and depart from a different terminal, they have a special shuttle bus that will take her while keeping her airside.  Unless I hear anything different, it sounds like she's good to go! 

Offline ML

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 11:01:54 AM »
What's the worst that could happen if they don't let her change planes?

She would have to live the rest of her life in Spain?

Does she know how to perform the flamenco?

Offline jonathan_80

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 05:12:56 PM »
What's the worst that could happen if they don't let her change planes?

She would have to live the rest of her life in Spain?

Does she know how to perform the flamenco?

Good point.  I do not think she can perform flamenco, but I do plan on taking her to some tango lessons in Argentina.  ;)  I think she'll do just fine.  If there are issues getting through Madrid, I think she just needs to flip that blonde hair, wink at the customs official with those blue eyes, put some extra accent in to it, and they'll let her go wherever she wants.  That's unless she winds up with a female customs official. Doh!   :D

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 06:24:49 PM »
Good point.  I do not think she can perform flamenco, but I do plan on taking her to some tango lessons in Argentina;)  I think she'll do just fine.  If there are issues getting through Madrid, I think she just needs to flip that blonde hair, wink at the customs official with those blue eyes, put some extra accent in to it, and they'll let her go wherever she wants.  That's unless she winds up with a female customs official. Doh!   :D

There are tango lessons in Buenos Aires - better and cheaper :)   Not sure about Mendoza except for drinking wine :)

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Travel question, Ukraine to South America via Europe
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 09:09:19 PM »
Hi Everyone - Long time lurker here and finally decided to register so I can ask a travel question of the group. 

Welcome to the forum!

Udachi!

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Muzh

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 02:08:24 PM »
Ahh! Argentinian women. {sigh}

Boy, great memories.

Hi Jonathan. Has an Argentinian woman ever caught your eye?  >:D
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1883
Total: 1894

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM