It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 456452 times)

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
If you're trying to say China's numbers are just as accurate as America's or Europe's, just say it. Do you think Italy wants to be accurate with their coronavirus death numbers or do you think they are intentionally lying? How about China?

BillyB-

Had the league of nations, especially the overlord nation France, not decided to allow the Chinese slaughter at the hands of the marauding Japanese army, causing the western-backed Chiang Chung-cheng's, aka Chian Kai Sek, administration to fight two wars on both fronts - The Japanese invasion and the communist party, led by Mao Zedong, from within; things might have been different for all of us today.

That period of turmoil led to Chiang Chung-cheng's eventual exile to what is now known as Taiwan until the end of his life, and the mainland China falling to the communist rule that still exist today. 

Had Mao Zedong not prevail in their internal political strife, we never would have had Bruce Lee. Cheng-Dok-seng, the first known Chinese to eat Horseshoe bats, never would've been born. The Beehive, the Olympic Stadium never would've been built, and Sweet Sour Chicken would not have become a favorite recipe by a diabetic American pensioner with a 7.3 A1C count living in Georgia.

History teaches of all us lessons folks like you and jone never seem to learn from, much less understand.

Sh!t Happens!
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10

No nation has published 'accurate' numbers.

Not the Italians, not the Germans, not the French, not the Americans.

I assert these nations are reporting stats with a smaller confidence interval than China's.

And by China's underreporting, the western nations above were not as prepared as they could have been.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:30:44 AM by Gator »

Offline Gator

Does it matter at this point?  Will knowing the exact numbers cure anyone? Will it lower our numbers? Don't we all have enough numbers to know it's pretty serious?

Numbers are very important.  A basic rule of management is that you achieve what you measure.   And as we reopen the economy, responding numbers are important to decide whether we hit the brakes or  press down on the throttle. 

If you just want to assess some blame there will be plenty of time for that down the road.

Agree.  Not only the time available; the existing information is too incomplete to "prosecute" in the press or on the world stage.   The prosecutor needs to collect more evidence. 

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
Numbers are very important.  A basic rule of management is that you achieve what you measure.   And as we reopen the economy, responding numbers are important to decide whether we hit the brakes or  press down on the throttle. 

Are we doing that? or will our numbers remain hospital admissions when it is too late to do much? What is Georgia's plan?  Home of the nations largest national and international airport, Georgia's plan affects the whole nation. What about neighbouring states that would be affected if is making a mistake? Are you concerned with their plan?

Offline GQBlues

...and we have vaccine for the 'seasonal flu'...
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Online krimster2

• He/Him
  • Trips: Resident
so when will you dumb phuque Trump voters realize that for every dollar of federal Corona Virus relief
about 90% of it goes to the 1%
and the remaining 10% to everyone else below that
but even some of that 10% gets taken by the 1 percent as well
you’re just like the poor people in Russia...
you’re happy with the crumbs the oligarchs give you
that fall to the floor while they cut up the pie for themselves

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/industry/fed-balance-sheet-tops-5-trillion-for-first-time-as-it-enters-coronavirus-war-mode/74840444

so, my trip to Russia is “exploratory”
I tried living in Moscva winters once...
it was awful!
because I was trying to live a “normal” life, commute to work, etc...
this time will be different from that...
it will be interesting to see how this Green Zone is maintained
the closest thing to that here is the quarantine protection of a US military base
Russia intends to setup hundreds of these protected quarantined zones
that are around strategic resources like factories, etc...

one of the bad parts of this is that pre-Corona I was going to be retiring and living part-time in Costa Rica and part time on South Padre Island Texas by the end of this year....
but Corona has killed that...
it’s very likely that the mini coffee plantation I was building in Costa Rica
will never be inhabited by me
and I will end up making it a gift to the drug cartel that moves in
after the current government which is owned by the tourism industry collapses
and mining, forestry, development and drugs all band together and take them on

in Russia, I will be expected to do a LOT of work and also sink some of my own money into these new projects that the RF gov is pushing
so I’d have to give up on the retirement idea, and end up working my butt off again, which really sucks...

my oldest daughter’s boy friend is the son of one of my investor/clients, someone far, far, wealthier than me, they will likely get married at the end of this year...
this means I am only rarely going to see her after August, :(
youngest has several job offers from friends of mine in the Green Zone
or if I stay, she could work with me

if I choose to live in the USA
my life in America will be pretty bleak...
I expect the USA to have a long, slow crawl to a financial collapse next year
the recent fed meeting notes even are predicting this as well
go read it for yourself...
this is the beginning of the end folks...
I'm buying all the gold and palladium I can
but it's impossible to buy now in qty
and retail price is getting higher and higher above spot every week

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:49:13 AM by krimster2 »

Offline Gator

Are we doing that? or will our numbers remain hospital admissions when it is too late to do much?

Hospitalizations are a lagging indicator and should not be used.  I recall Fauci and Birx saying respiratory ailments is a better indicator, as their numbers increased before hospitalizations increased.   

I would hope that some randomized testing would also be performed on a statistically representative basis.   

Are you concerned with their plan?

No.  Some new infections will occur.  In fact, I expect the number of daily new cases to increase, but maintained at a pace not to exceed the capacity of the healthcare system.  An increased pace enables the attainment of herd immunity sooner. 

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine

OK, then I have a plan for this.

I am going to start a pre-paid funeral business.
Soon, I will start taking payments after I set up schedules for Cremation, Plot burial, etc.
I could even provide mourners, as are often available in the Orient.
Even wailers (soft or loud), if you wish.
Let me know what other services are desired.
Maybe even assisted s_____ for those who don't want to wait.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online krimster2

• He/Him
  • Trips: Resident
let the dead bury the dead

thank you for your business offer...
I have already decided upon the kind of death I want
I am a warrior and will die a warriors death...
but not before I hear the wailing of the children of my slain enemies

I'm reading up on cannibalism, it's an old tradition here in Texas
two separate local Indian tribes did this...
from what I know about butchering adult vrs baby lambs
children will be the tastiest

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:58:49 AM by krimster2 »

Offline BC

Gator,

Herd immunity is still a very unknown factor.  Also requires getting the bug in the first place.  I doubt you or I would want to do so as we're likely in the higher risk category with chances of not surviving at least 25%

Only anecdotal, but it may be that those who are repeatedly exposed to higher quantities of the virus, like doctors and nurses may have worse outcomes than the general population.

We really do not know enough about this bug yet to make truly educated decisions.  Much is a coin toss.  But even us laymen can look at some of the data and see the results of methods used in different countries.  Can you spot the outliers in the image below?

Offline BillyB

...and we have vaccine for the 'seasonal flu'...

Sounds like fake news. Video doesn't say what CDC webpage list the numbers or if they read the numbers from the CDC last month, or how they are doing calculations. In a matter of a couple of months, 130,000 Americans finished their battle with COCID-19 and over 45,000 are dead. Close to 700,000 are still fighting the virus. Many of the 700,000 will end up dead within 30 days from now.

http://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Although the flu has a vaccine, the flu is free to infect 175 million Americans without anybody worrying about it. Exponential increase of flu infections aren't bad. We can't let COVID-19 exponentially increase. Last month we had a few dozen dead. We now have over 45,000 dead. We now know what an exponential increase of dozens is for COVID-19 in one month. That amount of increase should teach us something but for some reason we are still talking about if COVID-19 is bad or not. We do not want to see how 45,000 dead exponentially increases in one month so we stay at home and sacrifice trillions of dollars and our economy to stop the spread. BTW, the head of the CDC said a few days ago next outbreak in America may be worse than this one.

In other news Guayaquil mayor thinks her city has 8000 COVID-19 deaths since the death toll is that much higher than normal for this period. Her nation, Ecuador, currently reports 520 deaths for the entire nation.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/like-the-horror-of-war-mayor-of-virus-ravaged-ecuador-city-calls-for-drastic-response/ar-BB132aiN?ocid=spartanntp

Underdeveloped nations like hers are going to take a beating so bad that it will make NY and Italy look like paradise.

Herd immunity is still a very unknown factor. 

That is true. We don't know if we will acquire immunity and if we do acquire immunity, it probably may not last for more than a couple of years.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

Sounds like fake news. Video doesn't say what CDC webpage list the numbers or if they read the numbers from the CDC last month, or how they are doing calculations. In a matter of a couple of months, 130,000 Americans finished their battle with COCID-19 and over 45,000 are dead. Close to 700,000 are still fighting the virus. Many of the 700,000 will end up dead within 30 days from now.

http://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Although the flu has a vaccine, the flu is free to infect 175 million Americans without anybody worrying about it. Exponential increase of flu infections aren't bad. We can't let COVID-19 exponentially increase. Last month we had a few dozen dead. We now have over 45,000 dead. We now know what an exponential increase of dozens is for COVID-19 in one month. That amount of increase should teach us something but for some reason we are still talking about if COVID-19 is bad or not. We do not want to see how 45,000 dead exponentially increases in one month so we stay at home and sacrifice trillions of dollars and our economy to stop the spread. BTW, the head of the CDC said a few days ago next outbreak in America may be worse than this one.

BillyB-

You're too much of an alarmist. Funny, too sometimes. It isn't that hard to get the information you seem to presume doesn't exist when it isn't convenient for you.

But here you go...http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Offline BC

GQ,

I cannot see the US getting out of this first wave with less than 100K deaths, now likely more.

Offline BillyB

It isn't that hard to get the information you seem to presume doesn't exist when it isn't convenient for you.

But here you go...http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

I know that information and it proves the journalist in the video was wrong. How did they come up with their calculations? That is why I don't like journalists translating English to English for me. Just show me the numbers you showed me in the link and I'll decide what is going on. CDC predicts 24,000-62,000 deaths from the flu. We will easily surpass that with COVID-19. We currently have 45,000 official deaths not to mention the unknown deaths. We are averaging well over 2000 deaths a day so if we stop the exponential increase and the curve flattens for the next 30 days averaging 2000 dead, we will add 60,000 deaths to the 45,000 we have now.

BillyB-

You're too much of an alarmist. Funny, too sometimes.

I've always dealt in reality and the pathogen of the century is alarming so my reaction to it is normal compared to others. Fortunately our government understands the virus and  took action as early as January when most people were clueless about what was going on. Months ago when Krimster was laughing at dumphucks and predicting exponential increase. I knew what he was talking about. From zero to a few dozen dead in a couple of months to 45,000 dead the month after is what exponential increase looks like. Fortunately Krimster's predictions of millions or tens of millions of dead won't come true because we've taken action. But if we can't find a cure and this virus eventually infects everybody on earth at least once, you will see hundreds of millions dead.

GQ,

I cannot see the US getting out of this first wave with less than 100K deaths, now likely more.

I'm with BC on this one. With 700,000 currently infected and we add 25,000+ new cases everyday, there is no way we are going to end the first wave with under 100K deaths. The second wave will definitely start before the year's end will also add to this year's death toll.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

GQ,

BC-

You do know now both Drs. Fauci and Brix will disagree with you based on their latest estimates, yes?

You could be right, the worst seasonal flu, I believe, netted 80,000 deaths. Again, that's with a vaccine, while COVID has none for now. Conceivably, 100K is plausible. I won't argue with that.

Giving these figures, which to me isn't that different, does COVID really deserve shutting down the entire country and society like this when we go through this almost every year with influenza?

Offline GQBlues

I know that information and it proves the journalist in the video was wrong. How did they come up with their calculations? That is why I don't like journalists translating English to English for me. Just show me the numbers you showed me in the link and I'll decide what is going on. CDC predicts 24,000-62,000 deaths from the flu. We will easily surpass that with COVID-19. We currently have 45,000 official deaths not to mention the unknown deaths. We are averaging well over 2000 deaths a day so if we stop the exponential increase and the curve flattens for the next 30 days averaging 2000 dead, we will add 60,000 deaths to the 45,000 we have now.

See. Like I said, you're too funny sometimes. Weren't you the one who was doing all these nutty calculations on this very thread not too long ago? Somehow you 'believe' your calculation is still reliable? LMAO.

CDC didn't 'predict' the number in that link BillyB. It estimated it

I've always dealt in reality and the pathogen of the century is alarming so my reaction to it is normal compared to others. Fortunately our government understands the virus and  took action as early as January when most people were clueless about what was going on. Months ago when Krimster was laughing at dumphucks and predicting exponential increase. I knew what he was talking about. From zero to a few dozen dead in a couple of months to 45,000 dead the month after is what exponential increase looks like. Fortunately Krimster's predictions of millions or tens of millions of dead won't come true because we've taken action. But if we can't find a cure and this virus eventually infects everybody on earth at least once, you will see hundreds of millions dead.

Based on your nutty calculations you've graced us with, that borders on comical, BillyB.

I'm with BC on this one. With 700,000 currently infected and we add 25,000+ new cases everyday, there is no way we are going to end the first wave with under 100K deaths. The second wave will definitely start before the year's end will also add to this year's death toll.

Noted. Please advise Dr. Fauci and Brix before today's briefing.

Offline BC

BC-

You do know now both Drs. Fauci and Brix will disagree with you based on their latest estimates, yes?

You could be right, the worst seasonal flu, I believe, netted 80,000 deaths. Again, that's with a vaccine, while COVID has none for now. Conceivably, 100K is plausible. I won't argue with that.

Giving these figures, which to me isn't that different, does COVID really deserve shutting down the entire country and society like this when we go through this almost every year with influenza?

That is a very easy question to answer GQ.  The numbers, even if high are much less than what could be expected for covid to 'roam free'.  We have at least a level of containment that is keeping the daily number of infections somewhat in check.  I posted a conceptual graphic of Italy daily infections that I crudely superimposed on a bell curve to show how I feel we are progressing here.  The clear area within the curve above the red line are infections that did not take place along with deaths.  Since the US graphic remains flat and has not yet reflected a distinct downward trend, it is difficult to estimate how high or how far along we in the US are within the curve.  My gut tells me we are somewhere on our end of the field somewhere around the 20 to 35-yard line, with possible setbacks ahead...

As far as Italy goes, I estimate with the lockdown that the number of infections was at least halved and deaths only one-third of what 'could have been'.

As far as Birx and Fauci go, I expect adjustments will be made in their assessments, maybe not today, but sooner than later.. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:46:04 PM by BC »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
so when will you dumb phuque Trump voters realize that for every dollar of federal Corona Virus relief
about 90% of it goes to the 1%
and the remaining 10% to everyone else below that
but even some of that 10% gets taken by the 1 percent as well
you’re just like the poor people in Russia...
you’re happy with the crumbs the oligarchs give you
that fall to the floor while they cut up the pie for themselves

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/industry/fed-balance-sheet-tops-5-trillion-for-first-time-as-it-enters-coronavirus-war-mode/74840444

so, my trip to Russia is “exploratory”
I tried living in Moscva winters once...
it was awful!
because I was trying to live a “normal” life, commute to work, etc...
this time will be different from that...
it will be interesting to see how this Green Zone is maintained
the closest thing to that here is the quarantine protection of a US military base
Russia intends to setup hundreds of these protected quarantined zones
that are around strategic resources like factories, etc...

one of the bad parts of this is that pre-Corona I was going to be retiring and living part-time in Costa Rica and part time on South Padre Island Texas by the end of this year....
but Corona has killed that...
it’s very likely that the mini coffee plantation I was building in Costa Rica
will never be inhabited by me
and I will end up making it a gift to the drug cartel that moves in
after the current government which is owned by the tourism industry collapses
and mining, forestry, development and drugs all band together and take them on

in Russia, I will be expected to do a LOT of work and also sink some of my own money into these new projects that the RF gov is pushing
so I’d have to give up on the retirement idea, and end up working my butt off again, which really sucks...

my oldest daughter’s boy friend is the son of one of my investor/clients, someone far, far, wealthier than me, they will likely get married at the end of this year...
this means I am only rarely going to see her after August, :(
youngest has several job offers from friends of mine in the Green Zone
or if I stay, she could work with me

I'm buying all the gold and palladium I can
but it's impossible to buy now in qty
and retail price is getting higher and higher above spot every week

That sounds exciting stuff you will have happening there Krim. If your daughter marries into a wealthy family like that it would likely open up a lot of interesting opportunities there, far larger than most would have access to, could end up in Russia's highest echelons of power. I wish you well in your endeavours :)

I think if I was young in my twenties again, doing Uni somewhere in the FSU could be fun, could have loads of hotties after me :D Especially if I made out I had a few bob, lol.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Gator

Herd immunity is still a very unknown factor. 

Concept been discussed and practiced for long time.  Analyzed to have occurred for measles but on a temporary basis  because 1)  births constantly added susceptible people to the herd.and 2) the very high Ro for measles  (12-18) necessitated a 92-95% herd immunity threshold.    Only after the wide use of vaccination was measles virtually eliminated.  Since then, "free riders" are allowing outbreaks.   

In contrast the Ro for COVID-19 is believed to be  2-4.  The issue of asymptomatic, contagious cases complicates  the math however.     

Also requires getting the bug in the first place.

Not for everyone.  Just 30-70% (a spread that narrows with more data about the Ro). 

I doubt you or I would want to do so as we're likely in the higher risk category with chances of not surviving at least 25%

This seems much higher than what I recall.   Yes, I am in the more vulnerable age group.  But 25% is too high when the CFR in Florida is only about 3%, and maybe 1/10th of that given the untested asymptomatic cases.   

Can you spot the outliers in the image below?

I give you a more scientific chart, and yes it shows the US is currently faring the worse of 20+ nations from around the world, but still the curve is flattening. 

P. S.  I was reluctant to show it and others to you because the US case trajectory is not good compared to other nations, knowing you would not recognize how the data are skewed by NYC.   :D 

Go to http://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Data rich site. 

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:55:29 PM by Gator »

Offline GQBlues

That is a very easy question to answer GQ.  The numbers, even if high are much less than what could be expected for covid to 'roam free'.  We have at least a level of containment that is keeping the daily number of infections somewhat in check.  I posted a conceptual graphic of Italy daily infections that I crudely superimposed on a bell curve to show how I feel we are progressing here.  The clear area within the curve above the red line are infections that did not take place along with deaths.  Since the US graphic remains flat and has not yet reflected a distinct downward trend, it is difficult to estimate how high or how far along we in the US are within the curve.  My gut tells me we are somewhere on our end of the field somewhere around the 20 to 35-yard line, with possible setbacks ahead...

As far as Italy goes, I estimate with the lockdown that the number of infections was at least halved and deaths only one-third of what 'could have been'.

As far as Birx and Fauci go, I expect adjustments will be made in their assessments, maybe not today, but sooner than later..

Have we really ‘contained’ it, BC?

Many of these experts seem to believe now that the infection rate is actually more like 5 times on the low side to as much as nearly 10 x what had tested positive so far.

If true, then what this means to me is, COVID is not even as deadly as influenza if you consider the majority of the fatalities are mostly with the elderlies plus the comorbidity factor.

Influenza’s mortality, on the other hand, strikes even the healthy young and relatively younger adults. So far, COVID still has not reached the averaged annual fatality rate of influenza despite actually having  vaccines for it.

Yet, strange behaviors kick in with COVID like people hoarding toilet papers, governments skid to a halt and fathertime believes he was a communist Chinese under Mao Zedong in his previous life!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 01:02:10 PM by GQBlues »

Offline BillyB

Weren't you the one who was doing all these nutty calculations on this very thread not too long ago?

Which one of my calculations was wrong? Everyone of them are right showing this virus is much more dangerous than the flu. I also predicted this virus was going to change our lives and the way we behave. Do you think the hassles in your life brought on by the virus is short term?

Noted. Please advise Dr. Fauci and Brix before today's briefing.

It's their job to give the public information that isn't going to get them to panic. They provided us with guestimates and if it isn't end of the world bad news, they will talk about it in briefings. Some estimates were as high as 200,000 dead based off the action we're taking. Then it got dropped down to 60,000 dead but the curve isn't falling as fast as people think so it's easy to see 100,000 dead now.

If you really believe this virus is no dangerous than the flu and you were President, what course of action would you take? Would you let it run wild like the flu is allowed to or shut down businesses and tell everybody to hide for a month or two to stop the spread? It seems like you would take no action. You've seen what one month's worth of exponential increases looks like. Would you stall to see what the second month of exponential increases look like on 45,000 deaths? If you don't calculate the situation right and miss taking action by a week, tens of thousand will die. Miss it by a month, hundreds of thousands, if not millions will die.

Why do we even need to discuss numbers anymore? Just look what this one virus does to hospitals in the first month of exponential increase. If you think what I'm talking about is nutty. Look at what Trump did. Created China travel restrictions in January and later closed the world to America. He declared every State in America a disaster. He signed bills that cost trillions of dollars to keep businesses shut down and people sitting at home unemployed. What was he thinking man?

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 01:08:30 PM by BillyB »

Offline Gator

We don't know if we will acquire immunity and if we do acquire immunity, it probably may not last for more than a couple of years.

:D

Billy, think about what happens when your body defeats  a viral infection.  The human body's recuperative powers are amazing, and unlike Joe Biden  they has an excellent memory.   :) 

Something to be thankful for, and marvel indeed.

R-E-L-A-X   

Offline jone

Looking at BC's graphs, I kinda have the feeling that we'll have a tail for this trend line.   Whereby we get the disease down to a fraction of its height, but nevertheless not dying out.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BC

Concept been discussed and practiced for long time.  Analyzed to have occurred for measles but on a temporary basis  because 1)  births constantly added susceptible people to the herd.and 2) the very high Ro for measles  (12-18) necessitated a 92-95% herd immunity threshold.    Only after the wide use of vaccination was measles virtually eliminated.  Since then, "free riders" are allowing outbreaks.   

In contrast the Ro for COVID-19 is believed to be  2-4.  The issue of asymptomatic, contagious cases complicates  the math however.

With measles, we can consider onward immunity as a constant of 1 because it is more or less permanent after getting the disease or immunization.  This may not be the case with Covid.  6 months?  1 year? many years??  We just don't know.   

Not for everyone.  Just 30-70% (a spread that narrows with more data about the Ro). 

Again, much more data would be necessary to build confidence.

This seems much higher than what I recall.   Yes, I am in the more vulnerable age group.  But 25% is too high when the CFR in Florida is only about 3%, and maybe 1/10th of that given the untested asymptomatic cases.

You caught my brain fart..  Yes the numbers are lower but I would personally hate to test the figures.

I give you a more scientific chart, and yes it shows the US is currently faring the worse of 20+ nations from around the world, but still the curve is flattening. 

You guessed correctly.  The other outlier is the UK which also has a continuous flat top instead of dropping with a similar 'approach' to containment and general attidues as the US. Seems the UK is not included in your graphic.  Strange...

P. S.  I was reluctant to show it and others to you because the US case trajectory is not good compared to other nations, knowing you would not recognize how the data are skewed by NYC.   :D 

Disagree... every nation has 'hot zones' and clearer zones.  Remember the virus does not know it is in NYC or Timbuktu and is only programmed to find hosts that lets it 'enjoy' replication.  Kinda human like in a way :)

Go to http://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Data rich site. 

Thanks! will check it out.

Offline GQBlues

Which one of my calculations was wrong? Everyone of them are right showing this virus is much more dangerous than the flu. I also predicted this virus was going to change our lives and the way we behave. Do you think the hassles in your life brought on by the virus is short term?

Sheesh, BillyB. It's in this thread. Having me waste my time looking for that would be akin to a person smelling the bottom of his shoes to make sure he stepped on dog poop, when he already knows it is in fact dog sh!t. LMAO.

It's their job to give the public information that isn't going to get them to panic. They provided us with guestimates and if it isn't end of the world bad news, they will talk about it in briefings. Some estimates were as high as 200,000 dead based off the action we're taking. Then it got dropped down to 60,000 dead but the curve isn't falling as fast as people think so it's easy to see 100,000 dead now.

You somehow believe our current condition is NOT the result of the *panic they've unleashed* to the public so far? Considering our current state is unprecedented, how much more of a reaction do we need to dive deeper into this abyss before you can classify it 'panicked-driven'?

If you really believe this virus is no dangerous than the flu and you were President, what course of action would you take? Would you let it run wild like the flu is allowed to or shut down businesses and tell everybody to hide for a month or two to stop the spread? It seems like you would take no action. You've seen what one month's worth of exponential increases looks like. Would you stall to see what the second month of exponential increases look like on 45,000 deaths? If you don't calculate the situation right and miss taking action by a week, tens of thousand will die. Miss it by a month, hundreds of thousands, if not millions will die.

Again, year in and year out, tens of thousands of Americans die of influenza. We have vaccines for this every year yet it still claims about the same numbers every year.

If I was president of the US, I'd surround myself with blondes that look like Natasha Hensridge and brunettes that looks like Kate Beckinsale. I'd even consider all the in-betweens.

Why do we even need to discuss numbers anymore? Just look what this one virus does to hospitals in the first month of exponential increase. If you think what I'm talking about is nutty. Look at what Trump did. Created China travel restrictions in January and later closed the world to America. He declared every State in America a disaster. He signed bills that cost trillions of dollars to keep businesses shut down and people sitting at home unemployed. What was he thinking man?

Our hospital need projections were ALL overblown. Surely you're well aware of this by now, no?

As for why our country currently is at where it's at - that was exactly my curious contention in case that fact escaped you.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 01:27:29 PM by GQBlues »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541451
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 1861
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 1856
Total: 1864

+-Recent Posts

Re: Trippin in St Pete by krimster2
Today at 12:26:08 PM

Re: Trippin in St Pete by Trenchcoat
Today at 07:34:19 AM

Trippin in St Pete by 2tallbill
Today at 06:20:16 AM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:03:56 AM

Re: Trippin in St Pete by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:01:18 AM

Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 01:53:18 PM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 10:57:05 AM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 10:55:23 AM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 10:11:31 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:44:27 AM