It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 440249 times)

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
At least it's nice to see the Germans still have a sense of humor!

Picture below said: Police Warning! Do not leave your valuables on display in your car!
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10

You once told us Italy have enough beds for everyone, and the social healthcare system you have can bear the brunt of this current dilemma. Maybe then you can tell us that excerpt from this medium is fake news:

http://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-11/italy-doctors-coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-milan-health/
Listen to the audio of the two Milanese doctors in the article talking about the real horrible conditions inside the quarantine area.

Is this reality now true in Italy or not? You keep trying to paint a rosy picture of Italian living, then critize the US for not having enough test kits, when maybe you should be more concerned Italians are dying by your side because of inadequate medical equipment? People being denied intubation for whatever reason is just diabolical. A person who have a hard time breathing and is now left alone is just not right. What a sad way to die...

My Italian is good, but I'd rather someone like Sandro who is expert give you his 'lowdown' on what is on the tape.  I heard some hypotheticals and a lot of 'could be possible' along with one second, third or tenth hand account about those over 60 being refused treatment with a respirator at one hospital.  It is contrary to what I have heard.  Of course, there will be some hard decisions that doctors will have to make like 'sorry but he's too 'gone' so best to let him go so we can give this other person that has decent chances this respirator'.

Some areas like Milan are of course swamped.  Manufacturers of respirators are working 24/7 to fit the need and all are working to open more intensive care beds.

Sandro lives in that area so I'll respectfully defer to him.  In our area thus far there is enough capacity and despite much lower numbers capacity is being increased.

Unfortunately, the situation you described may well present itself on a larger scale back home.

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
The 'troll' suggests you re-read your post re 'numbers' ...

Given you and facts have a loose relationship, it would have been amusing at any other time to read your suggestion of 'inaccuracy'...

Fact is, Italy is further down the line than our respective nations DESPITE measures taken far in advance of the US...

It is noted that we haven't heard from Sandro and can only hope he's just 'given up' on reasoning with 'us'...

Offline GQBlues

My Italian is good, but I'd rather someone like Sandro who is expert give you his 'lowdown' on what is on the tape.  I heard some hypotheticals and a lot of 'could be possible' along with one second, third or tenth hand account about those over 60 being refused treatment with a respirator at one hospital.  It is contrary to what I have heard.  Of course, there will be some hard decisions that doctors will have to make like 'sorry but he's too 'gone' so best to let him go so we can give this other person that has decent chances this respirator'.

Some areas like Milan are of course swamped.  Manufacturers of respirators are working 24/7 to fit the need and all are working to open more intensive care beds.

Sandro lives in that area so I'll respectfully defer to him.  In our area thus far there is enough capacity and despite much lower numbers capacity is being increased.

Unfortunately, the situation you described may well present itself on a larger scale back home.

Whether this is happening anywhere, Italy, US, China, etc...is just wrong. Maybe this was my point about all these silliness all of us engages in 'on who's on second base' all the time. It's a pandemic. We are all in on this reality and it's not a case of 'better or worst'. This virus obviously does not discriminate.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection

Well it may or, it may not. That has yet to be determined and the prognosticating from all on this thread actually means dick in the larger picture. The cases of the virus that we know to date isn't exactly projecting the same path as experienced in China and Italy. Are we just in denial and you guys know more than we do? Hardly. You know what you are experiencing and I do not doubt you one bit. We know what we are experiencing, too.

There has been widespread panic in the national media. Literally everything from the WHO and the CDC gets parroted ad nausea over and over. The instructions are all the same, panic, worry, wash your hands, don't touch your face await further instruction all this for a virus that hasn't begun to reach proportions of the seasonal flu in both contagion or deaths. I think most folks here believe it is very real. Medical help is available to everyone. (how that's paid for isn't a discussion for this conversation). I think I can say with full conviction anyone who believes they may have it are getting themselves checked out. It is not being ignored or taken lightly. In fact some of us believe the hysteria is much louder than the actual virus

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
shouldn’t the death rate of covid-19
be calculated as the number of deaths divided by the number of recoveries?
and NOT the number of of deaths divided by the number of infected...

for China’s data the mortality rate would be at 5% using the first method of calculation
and 3.7% using the second way

the virus ACTUALLY does discriminate...
it freaking loves "geezers"
especially geezers with an underlying medical condition

less than 3% of the total infected in Wuhan were under the age of 18
and of those who were infected, they were the group with the mildest symptoms

I am going into self quarantine in about a month
besides my companions, my only outside human contact will be with teenage girls that I hire...

you low-brows, stop thinking what you're thinking
take a look around you, you're all gonna have "shrinkage issues" when you do
your scrotum will go into hiding as much as it can
to protect itself, it's nature's way, don't be worried comrades

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 10:31:27 AM by krimster2 »

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
One week ago today, I flew home through S Korea. In Korea, they checked my passport to see if I went to Iran or China in the past 14 days. They did not check for Italy. I was put on a plane from an EMPTY Incheon airport to a bustling Atlanta airport. In Atlanta, there was no health screening, but passport control did review my passport. Once again, was not asked about Italy

So whatever it is about the Italian strain, its only recently became a reason for drastic measures

Border patrol already knows where you been based on scanning of the passport. They ask the question where you been anyway just in case your passport isn't telling the whole story. America knew Europe had a problem not because their European test kits told them but because when American doctors ask sick patients where they been and the pattern is they just came back from Europe, doctors will report that to the feds and it's easy to figure out, Europe never had control of virus and America's problems are coming from Europe, not China.

An American guy goes to the doc with a cough and fever, does not get tested and sent home with aspirin and told to drink lots of liquids.

Not true. A few articles written by journalist based on a few cases doesn't make it true. If a person lives in small town USA and never owned a passport, he'll probably get sent home with medicine. If a person lives in high risk areas like mine, King County, and we went to the doctor with flu like symptoms, the doctor will direct the person where to go for the COVID-19 tests if the doctor doesn't have the test in his clinic.

BC, if it makes you feel good to bash Trump and his handling of the virus more than bashing the Italian government, Chinese government, and WHO for not putting out warning earlier, do whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better. Truth is WHO was not allowed into China to evaluate the situation for themselves. They believed China's reporting which claimed they have control over the virus so WHO continued to educate people and countries it's safe to vacation, do business, and allow flights in and out of China. WHO and China failed the world the most.

Right now Italy is paying a high cost in life and loss of economy. It's not Trump's fault. As a matter of fact, based on Trump's ban on individuals and Italy's ban on flights, it tells me everybody had the same info at the same time and Trump may deserve credit for saving European lives. Most likely America spied on China to get info on the virus, intercepted calls, found out China lost control of the virus, and Trump made a decision to tell our allies that China isn't winning the fight on the virus and don't listen to WHO's recommendations. Take action to protect yourselves. I believe Trump is the kind of guy that will do that for America's friends. Trump may deserve credit for helping Italy determine a ban of flights from China earlier than what they would decide on their own but the media will never report it.

death/mortality rate is number of deaths divided by number of deaths plus recoveries. The infected aren't finished with their battle to be calculated yet but we have a big enough sample pool to reasonably predict the end result. Two reason the mortality rate is very low. China has provided Waterdown numbers and people have taken the infected and lumped them into the recovery category before their fate is determine which give the impression the overwhelming majority is surviving the battle with the virus. Go look at death and recovery numbers and ignore China's. It's alarming to see a high rate of people dying.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BC

Not really, it should be the number of deaths divided by the number of infected - which over time will change and become more accurate as the numbers and testing rise. Remember many may not be tested because their symptoms remained minor and did not get bad enough to warrant going to the doctor or hospital or meet testing criteria.  I would say that the numbers from S. Korea would be more accurate as it seems they tested the largest portion of the population on a per capita basis.  Statisticians will also go further by drilling down to the age groups most affected and their proportionate representation of the population.

The data ain't in yet though.  In 6 months or so will probably have a better picture.

Offline BillyB

Not really, it should be the number of deaths divided by the number of infected - which over time will change and become more accurate as the numbers and testing rise. Remember many may not be tested because their symptoms remained minor and did not get bad enough to warrant going to the doctor or hospital or meet testing criteria.

BC, with more testing happening around the world that gives us a more accurate picture, the mortality rates have been going up. They like to tell us everything is alright and mortality rates are low because people are walking around undetected and won't die but they aren't telling us that people have died and aren't going to test them because the living has priority on test kits.

In an article I read the Italian health care system is stressed out. Not enough medicine and respirators for every COVID-19 patient. Doctors have had to make hard decisions who gets the treatments and they are choosing the people that are more likely to live which tend to be healthier and younger people.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BC

BC, with more testing happening around the world that gives us a more accurate picture, the mortality rates have been going up. They like to tell us everything is alright and mortality rates are low because people are walking around undetected and won't die but they aren't telling us that people have died and aren't going to test them because the living has priority on test kits.

In an article I read the Italian health care system is stressed out. Not enough medicine and respirators for every COVID-19 patient. Doctors have had to make hard decisions who gets the treatments and they are choosing the people that are more likely to live which tend to be healthier and younger people.

Billy,

Indeed, the data will get better as time goes on.  Best we have at the moment is data from S. Korea.

Regarding the article you read, refer to my post above.  Of course the system in the hardest hit area is stressed out.  Again defer to any input Sandro wants to give who lives in that area.  Other than some youtube stuff I'm not seeing such generally reported in the news here.

Offline BillyB

Europeans criticizing Trump for not taking enough action also criticize Trump for taking too much action. Trump can't do anything right!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-shrugs-off-eu-anger-over-coronavirus-travel-ban-when-they-raise-taxes-on-us-they-dont-consult-us/ar-BB116zot?ocid=spartanntp

Vice President Mike Pence said Thursday that there has been “irresponsible rhetoric” from people who have downplayed the seriousness of the U.S. coronavirus outbreak.

http://www.yahoo.com/news/pence-says-theres-irresponsible-rhetoric-114342263.html

It's serious folks. It was always serious from the beginning it showed up on earth.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:42:36 AM by BillyB »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Well Boris had a meeting with the Cobra Kai today. We are now moving the delay phase. No school shutdowns at present though. Just self isolate for 7 days if you come down with any cold or flu like symptoms. In a few days the elderly with pre-existing health conditions will be told that they should self isolate as I was saying should happen on here just yesterday ;)

Apparently our government advisors reckon we are about 4 weeks behind Italy. That's not a bad heads up to us to plan ahead and avoid any mistakes Italy makes. I would assume that the UK could be likely to take a different tack in terms of avoiding shuttering businesses as in Italy as that could be a vicious downward spiral.

On the BBC News website in Italy today:

"Italy has now seen 1,016 deaths, amid a total number 15,113 infections. Civil protection officials say 1,258 have recovered."

So back and forth around the 50 per cent each way line. So over a thousand people have died so far! They are unlikely at the worst if it yet either.

Odds are there will be a shutdown of travel between countries. The virus could be a real game changer in how things are.

Looks like news websites are moving away from the number of infected to deaths rubbish so the real stats now seep out.

Today the government advisors reckon the virus will be tailing of by around May time. I think that is wishful thinking. Probably put out so as to not panic the population. I reckon we are in for the long haul on this one.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Online krimster2

"Not really, it should be the number of deaths divided by the number of infected"

ok, but why?
since you don't know the outcome of the currently infected, they are currently "alive" but 5% will die later
this leads to quite a variance
I kinda think the deaths/recovery is a more accurate metric with less variance
moy dva kopec
but I'm just lookin at it numerically
maybe there's a non-numeric reason to look at it as you suggest
I dunno, can you explain why you chose your calculation?

Offline msmob

Well Boris had a meeting with the Cobra Kai today. We are now moving the delay phase. No school shutdowns at present though. Just self isolate for 7 days if you come down with any cold or flu like symptoms. In a few days the elderly with pre-existing health conditions will be told that they should self isolate as I was saying should happen on here just yesterday ;)

Trench, do tell us how 'self-isolating' has worked on cruise ships and nursing homes ....

Apparently our government advisors reckon we are about 4 weeks behind Italy. That's not a bad heads up to us to plan ahead and avoid any mistakes Italy makes. I would assume that the UK could be likely to take a different tack in terms of avoiding shuttering businesses as in Italy as that could be a vicious downward spiral.

Hmm, if you are relying on BoJo's words - AGAIN - you're open to be pilloried .. it's nearly THREE weeks since Italy cordoned off red areas .. 21 Feb ... :popcorn:

Odds are there will be a shutdown of travel between countries. The virus could be a real game changer in how things are.

Looks like news websites are moving away from the number of infected to deaths rubbish so the real stats now seep out.

'Real stats' ?  Where you selective in listening to the factor of how many folk may be infected in the UK, now ?

Today the government advisors reckon the virus will be tailing of by around May time. I think that is wishful thinking. Probably put out so as to not panic the population. I reckon we are in for the long haul on this one.

NOT what was said...they hope to delay the peak ... they did not speak of any certainty ..

Not for the first time, you demonstrate to hear what you seem to want to hear and rarely heed the advice you are given ..

Offline GQBlues

This is plain crazy. But a great way for trenchcoat to get a little money on the side to help with his wife hunting.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
 :rolleyes:
Trench, do tell us how 'self-isolating' has worked on cruise ships and nursing homes ....

Hmm, if you are relying on BoJo's words - AGAIN - you're open to be pilloried .. it's nearly THREE weeks since Italy cordoned off red areas .. 21 Feb ... :popcorn:

'Real stats' ?  Where you selective in listening to the factor of how many folk may be infected in the UK, now ?

NOT what was said...they hope to delay the peak ... they did not speak of any certainty ..

Not for the first time, you demonstrate to hear what you seem to want to hear and rarely heed the advice you are given ..

Dispute all you like Mobers. While you are being complacent this poster is tooling up to prepare for the coming escalation in the Crisis :)

You'll be feeling pretty foolish soon when you're left feeling under equipped in the face of the ensuing Crises ;)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline fathertime

This is plain crazy. But a great way for trenchcoat to get a little money on the side to help with his wife hunting.
I really think trenchcoat would be better off selling the TP by the milometer. 

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline GQBlues

Nah- I don't see him being a good salesperson.

But I find it interesting that Nevada doesn't have a recorded infected person considering Las Vegas, Reno, and Lake Tahoe are huge gathering areas...

Offline msmob

:rolleyes:
Dispute all you like Mobers. While you are being complacent this poster is tooling up to prepare for the coming escalation in the Crisis :)

You'll be feeling pretty foolish soon when you're left feeling under equipped in the face of the ensuing Crises ;)

What will I be short of..?

Toilet paper? I bought a pack of 24... There's plenty already in the UK

Hand sanitizer?

That is out of stock..because of selfish ppl like you...but we are washing our hands..

Food? People were not starving in China..

Like most things... You never think things though..

Offline mhr7

Sean Hannity used his syndicated talk-radio program Wednesday to share a prediction he had found on Twitter about what is really happening with the coronavirus: It’s a “fraud” by the deep state to spread panic in the populace, manipulate the economy and suppress dissent.

“This coronavirus?” Rush Limbaugh asked skeptically during his Wednesday program. “All of this panic is just not warranted.”

The Fox Business anchor Trish Regan told viewers Monday that the worry over coronavirus “is yet another attempt to impeach the president.”

Views from the looney far-right. You'd think a pandemic would be a time for a country to unite, guess not.

http://www.yahoo.com/news/sean-hannity-thinks-coronavirus-panic-120516477.html

"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline BillyB

On the BBC News website in Italy today:

"Italy has now seen 1,016 deaths, amid a total number 15,113 infections. Civil protection officials say 1,258 have recovered."

Trench, since people, experts, governments and the media are having a hard time understanding mortality rate which gets them to severely underestimate the danger of this virus, I'm going to do a comparison today so more people will "get it".

WHO doesn't use the word "Pandemic" often. They reserve that word for worldwide epidemics that threaten humanity. Let's do a little comparison with the COVID-19 pandemic and the last designated WHO pandemic, the 2009 Swine Flu.

Swine Flu in Europe had  500,000 infected  and  caused 2889 Deaths which means they had 497,111 Recoveries. Mortality rate is not calculated by infection. Mortality rate is deaths divided by deaths plus recoveries so basically it's 2889 divided by (2889 + 487,111). The confusion comes from deaths plus recoveries also equals total infections when an epidemic is over and people think infections is what needs to be used in calculating mortality rate but not true and during an event where people are currently fighting for their lives, using infections into the calculation definitely waters down mortality rate estimates as we see from the reports on COVID-19.  Since everybody is finished with their battle swine flu in Europe, the final mortality rate is .57% which is 5.7 times more deadlier than the flu which kills .1% of the people it infects. 1 out of every 173 people in Europe who caught the swine flu died. Normal flu we experience kills 1 out of every 1000 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_Europe

Italy, now with a large sample pool of COVID -19, has 15,113 infected, 1016 deaths, and 1258 recoveries. To calculate the current mortality rate of Italy deaths(1016) divided by (deaths(1016) plus recoveries(1258)) which translate to a 44.7% mortality rate killing close to 1 out of every 2 people in Italy and is 447 times more dangerous than the flu and 78.4 times more dangerous than the swine flu. Hopefully with more numbers coming it, death rate will go down but don't expect it to go down to swine flu pandemic numbers.

Even if someone doesn't understand numbers, they have eyes. Just look at the World crashing down around you in a very short time this virus showed up. This is just the beginning of COVID-19. It hasn't reached the amount of infections the Swine flu pandemic achieved yet but if it does, you will see quarantines implemented in a way that makes the Italian quarantine look like a joke. The world wasn't crashing during the swine flu pandemic. Not all pandemics are equal and COVID-19 kills people at a much higher rate than the flu and swine flu.

The high mortality rate is scary but what is more scary is that this coronavirus is related to the cold virus and humans have tried for over a 100 years to create a suitable vaccine for the cold viruses and failed. At least with the Swine flu virus, it was comforting to know that discovering a swine flu vaccine was possible and only a matter of time in getting it out to the public. Governments will tell you they are working on a vaccine. After a few years pass by, if they haven't found one, they probably never will. We get colds 2-3 times a year. With no cure, we may have to live with COVID-19 multiple times a year forever just like we live with cold viruses. Periodic quarantining may be a big part of our lives from here on out. The only solution we have now is locking down people, finding those infected, quarantine those people separate from the population and eradicate this virus from the human body so we don't have to live with it anymore. If we miss just ONE person and they go around infecting others, we will continue to have outbreaks. Fighting COVID-19 will cost lives and our economies but it must be done. Trying to do this cheap will cost humanity more in the end.

Offline GQBlues

Views from the looney far-right. You'd think a pandemic would be a time for a country to unite, guess not.

http://www.yahoo.com/news/sean-hannity-thinks-coronavirus-panic-120516477.html

Product of Google.

Offline mhr7

Product of Google.

Product of Yahoo homepage.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline msmob

Trench, since people, experts, governments and the media are having a hard time understanding mortality rate which gets them to severely underestimate the danger of this virus, I'm going to do a comparison today so more people will "get it".

Does 'getting it' include your making up the meaning of pandemic?

'A disease prevalent over a whole country or the world.'

With that and your 'mortality rates'....

I'll leave you in continued ignorance

Online krimster2

if the virus doesn’t start to slowdown SOON due to the rising temps
then we are SCREWED!!!!
maybe it means it’s not so temperature sensitive as people thought
and instead it just got started in the winter
if it does continue to grow
then by the end of winter, it’ll be GAME OVER

public schools and universities all shutting down in Harris County TX NOW!
and the county next to us!

the Houston mayor’s office issued a public warning...
they say Houston could have a 30% infection rate this winter
with one out five requiring hospitalization!
that's a few hundred times current capacity!

or as Republicans say “Democratic Hoax” like the Meuller report and like the impeachment
democrats are just mad they lost
and are trying to deflect from Hillary’s emails

the virus has infected far less than the bubonic plague or smallpox for example
so why all the media hysteria
no one is afraid of those!!
just more libtard nonsense

The President's speech last night was PERFECT!
it shows how brilliantly he is handling the problem
and the full extent of his leadership capability!!
I feel highly reassured!!!

thank you ALL for voting for him, cuz I was stoopid and voted for Hillary
and not REAL SMART like you guys!!!
so again, thanks!!!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 03:59:33 PM by krimster2 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2236
Total: 2246

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM