It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Russia  (Read 1086764 times)

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2850 on: March 10, 2015, 06:32:15 PM »
The Scythians have long disappeared from this world. They used to make beautiful zoomorphic gold jewelry:

There used to be Greek colonies there, too (Chersonesus et al.):

Yes, and IIRC Feodosya (Theodosia) was originally a Greek colony.  However the treaty between Catherine the Great and the Ottoman Empire would seem to have more importance then a former Colony.  What do you think about that?  Have you read the article, which was published by a newspaper in Turkey?

edit to add -- here is the link to the story

http://thewatchtowers.com/turkey-under-ottoman-empire-treaty-with-catherine-the-great-if-crimea-declares-independence-it-returns-to-turkey/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:49:32 PM by AC »

Offline alex330

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2851 on: March 10, 2015, 08:27:23 PM »
The Scythians have long disappeared from this world.

Well, did they disappear or did they migrate and become assimilated with succeeding cultures? :)

I have heard that Ossetians are the closest modern day ancestors to the Scythians. Interesting that the kurgans become progressively younger extending from the Black Sea up towards Scandinavian countries.

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2852 on: March 10, 2015, 08:35:29 PM »
Wouldn't modern Ukrainians be the descendants of the Scythian tribes?

Offline AC

• Banned Member
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2853 on: March 10, 2015, 08:40:49 PM »

I'm sure some of them certainly are.  Do you remember that "Scythian Treasures" from Crimea was on display in Amsterdam when Crimea was seized by Russia?  So I believe the status of those treasures is still up in the air.

edit to add

http://euromaidanpress.com/2014/09/10/dutch-museum-returns-some-items-of-crimean-scythian-gold-to-kyiv/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:42:49 PM by AC »

Offline alex330

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2854 on: March 10, 2015, 08:52:35 PM »

Not such a simple yes or no answer after such a long period of time. Modern day Ukraine and it's people were certainly influenced by the Scythians (genetically and geographically). Several different theories out there on the whole thing though. Many Slavs are haplogroup R1a, the predominant Scythian haplogroup.

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2855 on: March 11, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »
Ukraine calls for Russian documentary on Crimea to be sent to Hague Tribunal
Russian documentary contains contradictory claims by Russian President Vladimir Putin

The Ukrainian Prime Minister has asked for a Russian documentary trailer to be sent to the International Criminal Court in the Hague. The documentary is going to be broadcast on Russian television and in it, Vladimir Putin admits he planned to annex Crimea.

Arseniy Yatsenyuk, Prime Minister of Ukraine: "I ask the Ministry of Justice to send this trailer to the Hague Tribunal. It is important that the movie in its entirety is also sent to the Hague Tribunal - this film should be of interest to international prosecutors and investigators. It answers the question of who gave instructions to seize Ukrainian territory in Crimea and violations of international law, and who was responsible."

The documentary was produced by Kremlin-run Channel One news station, which the government uses as a mouthpiece to get it's message out to the masses. In the trailer, Putin says he planned to annex Crimea from Ukraine, even before a referendum was held.

Although the referendum was widely condemned by the international community as residents voted while hundreds of Russian soldiers stood around polling stations with their automatic rifles, Putin has up until now used the referendum as the main reason for annexing Crimea. But now it appears he has contradicted himself, but it's the not first time he's done so. He also claimed that Russian troops were not in Crimea last year before its annexation, only later to say that, 'of course' Russian troops were in Crimea.

The US Secretary of State recently because frustrated with his dealings with his Russian counterparts and said the following during a committee hearing:

John Kerry, US Secretary of State: "Russia is engaged in a rather remarkable period of the most overt and and extensive propaganda excursive that I've seen since the very height of the Cold War. And they have been persisting in their misrepresentations, lies -- whatever you want to call them -- about their activities there to my face, to the face of others on many different occasions."

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that she quit her regular phone conversations with Putin because he had mislead her.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://uatoday.tv/politics/ukraine-calls-for-russian-documentary-on-crimea-to-be-sent-to-hague-tribunal-414713.html

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2856 on: March 12, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »

Pint-sized Putin tells women to 'squat down' so he doesn't look too short in photo

POOR old President Putin, all he tried to do was patronise, sorry, congratulate some ladies on International Women's Day but it didn't exactly go to plan.

To celebrate the global event a selection of short women were invited to the Kremlin in Moscow to meet with Vladimir for a photo opportunity.

However the President's cronies forgot to tell the women not to wear heels and as a result Putin's tiny stature was highlighted for all to see.

Standing only at about 5ft 6inches the pint-sized President was left red-faced as he was dwarfed by the women – many of whom were wearing heels.

Officials had forgotten to tell those attending that they could only be photographed with the President if they were wearing flat shoes.

An insider said: "The President of Russia Vladimir Putin traditionally invites a selection of Russian women to congratulate them on International Women's Day.

"Fourteen women were selected and invited to the Kremlin to take part in the official meeting with president. And in line with Kremlin rules, no one can be taller than he is to avoid causing embarrassment in pictures and video.

"That’s why his bodyguards are always shorter then he is, to give the impression Putin is a tall person."

Putin is believed to be somewhere between 165-170cm but hides the fact well by making sure he is only photographed with people smaller than he is.

The insider added: "They were told to try and squat down a little bit during the official photo session."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/430311/Vladimir-Putin-Russian-president-short-height-women-rights

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: No Selection
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2857 on: March 12, 2015, 11:15:51 PM »
Seems Mad Vlad has lit a shuck and gone to ground...

Where is Putin? Russian leader’s absence sparks rumors.

washingtonpost.com

Putin's disappearance implies a Russian dictatorship

..."It's time to do away with euphemisms like "authoritarian ruler" or "strongman". Putin is a dictator who runs Russia through fear and stealth. Whatever the reasons for his absence, the country can't function without him in the driver's seat. Irrational fears surface instead. And so do irrational hopes."...

http://www.smh.com.au/world/putins-disappearance-implies-a-russian-dictatorship-20150313-142tjo.html

Can Putin's Absence Indicate A Palace Coup In Moscow?

..."Recently media has been flooded with chatter surrounding Russian president Vladimir Putin’s absence from the public eye over the past week, with rumors suggesting that there might have been a palace coup in the Kremlin, and even far-fetched hypothesis that Putin is dead, or at least has health problems."...

forbes.com

The very scary reality behind the silly rumors of Putin’s death

..."Rumors are swirling today about the possible illness — or even death — of Russian President Vladimir Putin. Mainstream media outlets have reported that he may be sick."...

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/12/8205193/putin-death-rumors

Rumors abound. Everything from he's suffered a stroke to he's hiking in the Appalachians. One thing's for sure, the Russian people are getting a bit antsy and their social media is going off the Richter scale.

Two things I've noted. Russian media hasn't picked up the story so far and there are reports of unusual  helicopter movement in and around the capital.

Maybe there's something to these rumors.

Brass
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:20:57 PM by Brasscasing »
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline southernX

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2858 on: March 12, 2015, 11:54:15 PM »
Two things I've noted. Russian media hasn't picked up the story so far and there are reports of unusual  helicopter movement in and around the capital.

Maybe there's something to these rumors.

Brass

yes , it will be interesting to discover what is going on ,

it would be too ironic if  their were to be any truth in his stroke/ death 

i dont think ukraine is that lucky ,

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2859 on: March 13, 2015, 12:07:41 AM »
IF any of these possibilities comes into play I suspect that the  next line up won't include Medvedev.
Who'd be the next to step to the throne and what would his war plans include?  Sergey Ivanov perhaps?

Could it get worse?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:13:58 AM by AkMike »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2860 on: March 13, 2015, 02:42:29 AM »
The Russian Federation Constitution stipulates that the successor shall be the Chairman of the Government (Prime Minister). In such cases, new elections must be called and carried out within three months time from the date of such a vacancy.

(Chapter 4, Article 92)
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2861 on: March 13, 2015, 08:43:13 AM »
Seems Mad Vlad has lit a shuck and gone to ground...
His alleged girlfriend/wife just gave birth -

http://www.i4u.com/2015/03/89426/putin-back-amidst-baby-rumors-alina-kabaeva-surfacing-switzerland

Hardly a ringing endorsement for Russian healthcare, even for the elite.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline jone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2862 on: March 13, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »
I understand the term 'gone to ground'.  But what does 'lit a shuck' mean?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline AC

• Banned Member
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2863 on: March 13, 2015, 10:13:23 AM »
I understand the term 'gone to ground'.  But what does 'lit a shuck' mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=light%20a%20shuck

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2864 on: March 13, 2015, 11:05:37 AM »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Brasscasing

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2865 on: March 13, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »
His alleged girlfriend/wife just gave birth -

http://www.i4u.com/2015/03/89426/putin-back-amidst-baby-rumors-alina-kabaeva-surfacing-switzerland

Hardly a ringing endorsement for Russian healthcare, even for the elite.

Ah, well there we have it, then.

Actually, it probably had more to do with security than level of healthcare. Putin's paranoid by nature. Her protection during pregnancy and subsequent birth would have been a top priority for him.

The secrecy around her transfer to Switzerland, his subsequent leaving the country and attendance are the example. If western intelligence agencies new about it I'd be surprised. It certainly wasn't given to the media. Everyone was left wondering why and where "The Boss" was hiding. The Swiss weren't talking either.

In other words, another flawless operation by the Kremlin. Operation 'Make More Babies For Mother Russia' was a success. ;D

Brass
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2866 on: March 13, 2015, 07:48:48 PM »
This is from facebook so take it with a grain of salt..

Using tineye.com I can't confirm it but it looks like something big is happening in Red Square.   :clapping:

Maybe Lenin will have a new next door neighbor?  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2867 on: March 13, 2015, 08:12:31 PM »
Every one knows I am a no exceptions prolifer.  I regret with the birth of Putin's bastard, I think I can make one exception.  We could use the Obama rule and commit a post birth abortion.  Doctor Gosnell will see you now . . .

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2868 on: March 13, 2015, 08:15:28 PM »

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2869 on: March 13, 2015, 10:35:56 PM »
Well, did they disappear or did they migrate and become assimilated with succeeding cultures? :)

Amazingly, they kept their culture and language. They are known as Black Sea Greeks or Pontian.

When the former USSR  broke up many took up the offer of Greek passports and 20, 000 ended up on the former British colony of Cyprus.

I lived there and dated a Russian speaker whose best friend was a 'Ponti'.

They generally speak Russian as a first language but retained the ability to speak a dialect of Greek.

As times got hard, they are often blamed on the island for increasing crime, but I found them to be hard working and too often treated as second class citizens.

The Greeks have a propensity to retain their language / culture despite being part of the Ottoman Empire/Turkey or various flavours of Moscow rule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontic_Greeks
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline AC

• Banned Member
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2870 on: March 13, 2015, 10:53:12 PM »
Every one knows I am a no exceptions prolifer.  I regret with the birth of Putin's bastard, I think I can make one exception.  We could use the Obama rule and commit a post birth abortion.  Doctor Gosnell will see you now . . .

Is this supposed to be funny?   :deadhorse:

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2871 on: March 13, 2015, 10:54:48 PM »
That is pretty sick.  :rolleyes:

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2872 on: March 14, 2015, 02:24:46 AM »
This is from facebook so take it with a grain of salt..

Using tineye.com I can't confirm it but it looks like something big is happening in Red Square.   :clapping:

Maybe Lenin will have a new next door neighbor?

It is construction on the upcoming celebration for the first anniversary of the annexation of Crimea. That is just a few days away.

Offline alex330

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2873 on: March 14, 2015, 07:46:02 AM »
Amazingly, they kept their culture and language. They are known as Black Sea Greeks or Pontian.

Maybe this was the fate of a small portion of the population but the Scythians were most likely a very diverse group of tribes with similar characteristics. The Greeks traded wheat with them for some time so there was most likely intermarriage. A large part of the civilization was swallowed by subsequent groups like the Sarmatians and Alans. A smaller group (archaeological finds and genetics) was thought to move northwest becoming isolated for some time and eventually becoming or integrating with tribes that led to the Slavs and integrating or at least closely cooperating with the Vikings ancestors where their culture is also found in digs.

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2874 on: March 14, 2015, 09:17:20 AM »
I sometimes have joked with UW that "everyone knows, that Greece was founded by Ukrainians who don't like winter!" ... hmmm...
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541468
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 3366
Most Online Ever: 12701