It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Where is the best place to buy an engagement ring in Kharkov? 2  (Read 4153 times)

Offline FSUrookie

Hello to all. I need some input and suggestions as to where the best place to buy an engagement ring in Kharkov would be. Ideally buying an engagement ring in the U.S.A. and bringing it to Ukraine would be best, but I would rather have it sized in Kharkov to insure the best fit and making my girl happy. I have read on these forums that many of the Jewelry stores are rip-offs in Ukraine, but I have also heard that there are a few decent jewelry stores in Ukraine that offer quality diamond rings at a decent price. Also, I am not debating wether to buy the ring here in the U.S.A. or Ukraine. I want to buy it in Ukraine, so, with that said, Where is the best jewelry shop in Kharkov? Surely, someone on here has bought jewelry at a Kharkov jewelry shop. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Thor

Re: Where is the best place to buy an engagement ring in Kharkov? 2
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 02:44:37 AM »
Hello to all. I need some input and suggestions as to where the best place to buy an engagement ring in Kharkov would be. Ideally buying an engagement ring in the U.S.A. and bringing it to Ukraine would be best, but I would rather have it sized in Kharkov to insure the best fit and making my girl happy. I have read on these forums that many of the Jewelry stores are rip-offs in Ukraine, but I have also heard that there are a few decent jewelry stores in Ukraine that offer quality diamond rings at a decent price. Also, I am not debating wether to buy the ring here in the U.S.A. or Ukraine. I want to buy it in Ukraine, so, with that said, Where is the best jewelry shop in Kharkov? Surely, someone on here has bought jewelry at a Kharkov jewelry shop. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Go to Sumskya street and maybe Sovjetskaya. There you can find some good Jewelery stores. It is mostly Turkeys gold, and I am not an exspert and dont know what kind of quality the gold are, but it seemed ok..

Offline Rvrwind

• Commercial Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 04:53:08 AM »
Where is the best place to buy an engagement ring in Kharkov? 2

A jewelry store might be a good place to start,  ;) and why the 2? Do you need two of them, Mmmmm, better find two different stores, ;D.
Sorry just had to. ;)
Tver Angels Local and International Introductions
Classy Ladies for Discerning Gentlemen

RVR-Canadian Cowboy
Dyin' is easy, it's livin' thats hard!!!

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 04:00:04 AM »
Not withstanding that the traditions of an engagement ring is very Western. And the reality because of government taxes 40 to even 60% more expensive than in the United States I would go to Tiffany's in Kiev, at least you can be certain of the quality.

Since some seem determined to be stubborn than I would spend as much time learning about diamonds and jewelry Stateside. Another option is purchase a loose (unset) stone and present that explaining she can pick the ring style in the United States. It should be noted almost 80% of modern settings can easily be sized.

The settings I have seen in Ukraine can be of high quality or very crude. Again knowing what is comparable is important. As a final note in one store in Kiev I was certain the sapphires and emeralds were synthetic, the old adage of if it is to good to be true it usually is.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:04:55 AM by BdHvA »
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 05:19:36 AM »
Get a cheap ring that fits in UA and get it made by someone you trust in your locale and take it to UA

As you've been told, I'd not worry too much about an engagement ring ....  the 'I'm married one' is important - if you can agree which hand she'll wear in on - bearing in mind that married women wear it on the RIGHT in the FSU !

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 06:57:02 AM »
I have family who owns a retail store on 47th street in Manhattan
I know the business somewhat...

your chances of buying “crap” are VERY high in Ukraine!!!
no downside for someone to sell you counterfeit jewelry, there won’t be fraud charges, etc, no charges at all, just make a few months to a years salary off a tourist soon as you walk out the door...
no legal recourse for you, when an appraiser says your diamond is junk...

on top of that, Russian yellow gold is more “rose” colored (they use a different alloy) that I don’t care for, I like my gold to actually look like gold
but of course my wife prefers white gold and platinum

also be aware that ring sizes use a different “scale” in Ukraine
you can go online and convert between Ukrainian and USA sizes

as has been mentioned, buy a cheap temporary one (which is what I did)
then take your fiancee into a good jewelry shop in the USA
have her first pick the setting
and then pick a stone
you shoulda seen my wife’s face when they laid out over 1 million $$$ worth of multi-caret diamonds
and I told her, “pick one”, which she did
it’s all she talked about for a month
and she’s still enthralled with her big diamond and it has many little friends now

an alternative is to covertly get her ring size and purchase before you go
but wimmin genuinely like picking out their own more...
even if you’re planning a surprise you should talk to her about her preferences
and if you do that you might as well get her size
bottom line: DO NOT buy expensive jewelry in Ukraine, you WILL have buyer's remorse for many, many reasons including 20% VAT plus to 20% luxury sales tax and very poor selection compared to what you find in any large American city, let alone 47th street in Manhattan's diamond district

crap!  Vladivostok!!!  chivo?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:50:45 AM by krimster2 »

Offline jone

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 12:02:26 PM »
I think the 'rookie' was married and has a 12 year old kid already.   The OP was from 2007.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Gator

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 01:24:51 PM »
I think the 'rookie' was married and has a 12 year old kid already.   The OP was from 2007.

:ROFL:

Two names from the past:  Thor and the iconic Rvrwind.   Thor made many FSU dyevs wet. 

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541002
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1882
Total: 1893

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM