It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Does speaking fluent Russian give you a better chance at success?  (Read 8558 times)

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
I've read some threads and trip reports here from guys who have fluent Russian.  One poster named 2BitBandit said he could converse in Russian, but it didn't seem to enhance his success.  Many others here barely speak a word yet have developed solid relationships with Russian women.

In Moscow I found enough women who had good to excellent English.  My Russian is very basic, I know a few hundred words and simple phrases.
I would converse 98.25% in English and throw in a few words for the heck of it.  Usually they were amused. 

If you were fluent in theory you would have a much wider selection of women to date.  However if your goal is for the lady to immigrate to your country then obviously it would be better if they have decent English or whatever language that country uses.

Oddly enough the expats I met who did have fluent Russian learned it for cultural reasons.  One was a gay guy (why he went to Russia with so many beautiful ladies I will never know) and another a girl who studied it in university and always wanted to go to Russia.  Some of the straight male guys learn it to a certain extend but they play the foreigner card to get ladies.

I find the women who speak English really don't care if you know Russian well, it's not a hindrance to developing a friendship or relationship.

Would like to here others' thoughts and experiences on this.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:55:53 PM by Sting23 »

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Does speaking fluent Russian give you a better chance at success?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 02:09:37 AM »
It helped me 'break the ice' with my partner ...

My Russian ex hates my accent and prefers me to speak English ! ;)

IF your intended speaks English - it shouldn't be a deal-breaker - other than being able to thank folk...

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 11:13:39 AM »
It is better to understand Russian . . . but not to speak it.

That way you know all the things people are saying about you, and they don't know you know.

Great advantage for business meetings and woman chasing.

- - - - - -

Another tactic for business bargaining.
Act a little bit dumb.  The other side will let down their guard somewhat as they think they will take advantage of your dumbness.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Madlen

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 11:32:23 AM »
Does speaking fluent Russian give you a better chance at success?

Absolutely not :).

Some men say to women:"I want learn russian, because it is my respect to you".

They begin, and after "здравствуйте" they stop :D. Hard task  :D.

Of cource, if he wants to relocate, he need to learn.
Be as You are).

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 03:41:40 PM »

They begin, and after "здравствуйте" they stop :D. Hard task  :D.

I remember learning that word =)  why can't everyone just say Привет to each other.  Languages which have formal/informal forms just makes it harder.

In English you can say "Hi" to a stranger and they won't be offended.

Now I just say "Zdrasti"

Offline Boethius

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 05:23:46 PM »
In all the years I have heard non native speakers speaking Russian, I can count on my hands those that were completely fluent in Russian. 

I cannot imagine being in a relationship with someone with whom I could not speak easily and fluently on every subject under the sun.  But that may not be important to others.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:40:02 PM »
In all the years I have heard non native speakers speaking Russian, I can count on my hands those that were completely fluent in Russian. 

I cannot imagine being in a relationship with someone with whom I could not speak easily and fluently on every subject under the sun.  But that may not be important to others.

Hi Boethius, are you Russian then?  You write English like someone who was educated in an English speaking country. 

Fluency in a common language is important but not everything.

I have Russian friends with varying levels of English.  As long as they have a baseline level and can hold a conversation that is sufficient. They may make mistakes or not understand certain slang or sayings but that's why there is google translate.

More important is how well you get along together as people. 

Offline wallm

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 08:59:17 PM »
Hi Boethius, are you Russian then?  You write English like someone who was educated in an English speaking country. 

She is from the 51st state like you, I think.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 09:49:17 PM »

Some men will fail often if women understand them. But if you're a decent guy, you have a bigger dating pool speaking Russian.

There are plenty of English speaking FSU women to go around. I'm too busy of a man to learn a new language anyway. It's best you focus succeeding in your career. If a woman had a choice to marry an officer of a company or a man who knows two languages, guess which man most women will choose?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline TwoBitBandit

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 10:32:04 AM »
I've read some threads and trip reports here from guys who have fluent Russian.  One poster named 2BitBandit said he could converse in Russian, but it didn't seem to enhance his success.  Many others here barely speak a word yet have developed solid relationships with Russian women.

TwoBitBandit's ears are burning!

I'd say it's not a requirement to learn Russian.  But it's quite helpful.  Certainly, lots of men have been successful without learning Russian.  It *is* a time investment: probably for the average person you need about 600 hours of study and practice to communicate most ideas effectively, and 1200 hours to sound like some kind of an adult.

I found that it opened up a much larger dating pool.  In Moscow and St. Petersburg, you can find enough women who speak passable English.  But Russia is a big place.  There are about thirty cities [1] between 500,000 and two million inhabitants where one could look.  People who speak passable English are less on the ground in those cities.  I'm not sure what caused you to point me out, but it's probably not obvious from the way I wrote my trip reports that virtually all my dates were completely in Russian.  I believe there are a higher portion of sincere women more off the "beaten path".

One approach you might consider is finding a city with some kind of immersion school for foreigners studying Russian.  While you're in Russia, you can have a few lessons during the day (when most of your potential dates would be at work or school, anyways) and then go chase girls in the evenings and weekends, which is what I did on a couple of my trips.  About a month before I left, I started writing girls on Russian-language dating sites, and packed my evenings and weekends with as many dates as I could arrange.  I have actually met a few Westerners doing exactly this: I see them for a few weeks a year when they can take vacations from their job and study at the local school catering to foreigners.

I've been living in Russia for several years now, so I find Russian immensely useful.  Do you need to call your internet service provider and tell them you bought a new router and your MAC address has changed?  You're going to need Russian.  Do you want to call and get pizza delivered?  You're going to need Russian.  You need to explain to your landlady that the shower drain is plugged and could she please send someone to fix it?  You're going to need Russian.  But if you plan to bring your potential wife to the western world, then it's not quite as important.

But also consider this: do you really want to understand the woman you're dating?  If you want to understand her parents, her friends, her extended family and colleagues and her relationship with them, you're going to need Russian.

Obviously, I took an unusual path.  Most guys don't learn Russian, and it worked out fine for them.  It's like everything in life: you make your choice and you get your results.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_and_towns_in_Russia_by_population

Offline Boethius

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 11:34:05 AM »

Ukrainian is one of my mother tongues.

Fluency in a common language is important but not everything.

As I posted, for me, being able to communicate at a deep level is critical. For others, it may not be.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 11:37:28 PM »

If a woman had a choice to marry an officer of a company or a man who knows two languages, guess which man most women will choose?

As ever, BillyB - IMHO - belittle a woman's rationalising how to choose a husband

Offline Belvis

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 01:18:12 AM »
I've been living in Russia for several years now, so I find Russian immensely useful. 

It's a pity you have stopped to share your dating experience since Galina's visit in Paris. Seems many events happened during these 6 years. Your dating trend about Novosibirsk was unforgettable and prompted me to join the forum.

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 02:29:51 AM »
If a woman had a choice to marry an officer of a company or a man who knows two languages, guess which man most women will choose?

She'll chose the one she's in love with.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline Madlen

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 07:09:37 AM »

It depends on the goals of women: love, money, interest, career advancement....
All women are veryyyy different. Each has own aim.

In accordance with her goal she is looking for a guy and chooses a guy.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:13:28 AM by Madlen »
Be as You are).

Offline kynrazor

• Always optimistic :)
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 09:10:04 AM »
It depends on the goals of women: love, money, interest, career advancement....
All women are veryyyy different. Each has own aim.

In accordance with her goal she is looking for a guy and chooses a guy.

And what would be womens' goals from the most important to the least for the majority of women in the FSU?
Sincerely,
Kyn

Offline Madlen

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 09:54:49 AM »
I am not God  :D, but I am Russian-Ukrainian, so I have my own knowledge and understanding of our women's mentality :).

Each woman has own priorities and values.
Common to most  women is the following (I mean adequate women):

1- family, love
2- health
3- work, interests and hobbies, self-development

It is short about main  :D.
Be as You are).

Offline BillyB

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »

Ladies and gentlemen, if everything was equal in love, respect, and physical looks between two men except one man knows her first language and the other has a successful career, most women would choose the man who has accomplished more in his career. I'm not belittling women. It's a fact and I agree they would make the right choice doing just that. So if a guy has a little time on his hands to improve his life, it's best he focus on his career instead of a second language.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline CaptB

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 02:15:31 AM »
I studied Russian for six months before my first trip to Russia. The course had 8 cassettes and was called "Learn Russian in your Car". I spent about an hour a day in study. It allowed me to ride busses, taxis, shop, order food......basically get around without an interpreter. The women I dated appreciated it.....as did their friends, relatives, agency employees etc. It was a good ice-breaker. Mainly it allowed me to rely less on an interpreter. Most of the guys going through the agency made no attempt to even learn a few phrases. I felt it did give me a leg-up. My mispronunciations provided the women with some entertainment :-) Learning some Russian was definitely a positive experience.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline ML

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 11:14:02 AM »
I spent some time with over a hundred FSU gals with only a couple of bad dates where the woman had virtually zero English and had lied about that fact.

The only thing I could say was:

'Voda biz gaza' at restaurants.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline LAman

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 11:51:11 AM »
I spent some time with over a hundred FSU gals with only a couple of bad dates where the woman had virtually zero English and had lied about that fact.

The only thing I could say was:

'Voda biz gaza' at restaurants.

Much, much easier to say...'piva'!!!
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline msmob

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 01:34:29 AM »

Absolutely not :).

Simply cannot agree...  !

The ability to communicate - share thoughts - in a common language is priceless

I was married to a RU woman - no longer together - and VITAL subjects were misunderstood ....   Now she is near fluent in English and I'm much better in Russian and we are amazed at each other's progress and can laugh at past HUGE misunderstandings

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 07:26:45 AM »
Learn the language,,   Russian, Ukrainian and the combo Russian Ukrainian that is spoken in central Ukraine...
We need a government of action to fight for working families!
Caleb Maupin

Offline Boethius

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 08:21:57 AM »
The combination of Russian and Ukrainian is called surzhik. Don’t bother learning it. It would be akin to learning grammatically incorrect, hillbilly English.

Offline ML

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »
The combination of Russian and Ukrainian is called surzhik. Don’t bother learning it. It would be akin to learning grammatically incorrect, hillbilly English.

Like Spanglish.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541013
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1879
Total: 1890

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM