It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Poll

How involved is your wife in American politics?

Very involved
5 (10.2%)
pays some attention
22 (44.9%)
ambivalent
3 (6.1%)
no interest at all
19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: political wives?  (Read 47324 times)

Offline Ronnie

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: political wives?
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2008, 01:34:25 PM »
Jazzy,
Not all Russian women feel the way you say you feel. Particularly those who have lived in the west for a number of years.  But that doesn't mean your feelings aren't springing from some real source.  I'm sure you understand that some of your friends are insanely jealous of you.  That's why many, if not most, RWs hide their engagements (to WM) and pending emigration from their friends.

Jazzy, if you husband spent much of his time mocking Russia and ridiculing it's inhabitants how would it make you feel about the future of your marriage?  If you love your husband, as you express you do, you might consider making an effort to clean out the caustic notions and open your mind to the prospect of a new and better life on the other side of the world - a world that used to be hidden from you and your countrymen by what Churchhill called an "Iron Curtain."

Jazzy if you care to share with us the origins of your hostilities, I think you would find a very caring and supportive audience here. If you prefer, you can share in your native language...not all of us are monoglots (though there's nothing wrong with that)...and many of us have spent portions of our lives living in both societies.  

You have posted more than 1,000 times, clearly you are trying to connect with western society.  And, whether you accept Anna Politkovskaya's words or reject them, it does appear that you understand (as she stated) that your only access to unfiltered information is now through the internet.

------
I have a comment for Bulldog.  The members of the press are 80% aligned with the Democratic party.  (I'm aligned with neither BTW - a proud independent voter). In an election year that changes everything you read in the the American press.  

But press reports aside, every nation has current problems and the US is no exception.  American leaders (government and corporate) have made two major mistakes over the last several years and those are the root of all those listed by Bulldog.Too many American leaders have felt that if something is good then more of it must be better.  

Such simplistic notion is not only untrue but dangerous in every example I can think of: The things we need most, vitamins, medicines even water can kill if we intake too much is too short a time.  We need to breathe to live, but if we breathe too fast we hyperventilate and the body reacts by restricting blood flow to the brain.  America's leaders have believed, and many continue to believe, that wide-open trade policies and unrestricted immigration (legal or not) are good and more is better.  

Most of America's problems today stem from those two miguided ideas.  The truth is that vital industries must be protected and jobs retained onshore if America is to remain economically strong.  Having a lot of workers in America may be good in the short run for companies who operate their businesses here but the other side of the coin is beginning to show it's face.  Those workers, whose incomes are stagnant due to the burgeoning labor supply, are not going to be able to remain viable customers for those very businesses.  

Yet, it is the income of the average American (the middle class) that makes America the largest market for the world's goods and services.  Where would the world's largest industry..tourism..be without middle-class American tourists? Middle-class American incomes drive the tax revenues that fuel America's foreign aid, world health initiatives and social programs and of course the military - a military that will soon be less powerful than that of Communist China. (BTW Russia and America are not a threat to one another...China is a threat to both...the sooner each country understands that, the better the world will be).  

Every other issue on Bulldog's list can be traced back to these two mistaken beliefs..that if something is good, more of it is better.  Unfortunately, there won't be a candidate in the presidential election this fall who understands the changes that are needed to cure the ills.  Americans will have to use the internet,  through groups like numbersusa.com and grassfiresociety.com (to name a few) to keep our leaders from taking the world back to the dark ages.  Last year's  comprehensive immigration bill was crushed by these organizations of average American workers.

But ladies, problems with America, don't begin to compare to the problems with Russia. Any debate on that issue would be an insane exercise. My fervent hope is that one day Russia will join the western world instead of trying to seal itself off from it.  The people there have a lot to offer us and we have a lot to offer them.   Put your issues out there and let the collective conern and fellowship support you in these times of major life change.

Ronnie, aka Ronchik
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 01:49:41 PM by Ronnie »
Ronnie
Fourth year now living in Ukraine.  Speak Russian, Will Answer Questions.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2008, 02:24:54 PM »
As Tony Blair so eloquently stated "the true measure of a great country is to count how many are trying to get in, as opposed to those who are trying to get out".  Or something like that

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2008, 04:26:55 PM »
In his best work, On the Nature of Things Titus Lucretius Carus wrote,

"Quod ali cibus est aliis fuat acre venenum" 
or, "What is food to one person may be bitter poison to others."

Lack of freedom may be torturous confinement to one but secure comfort to another.  There is no accounting for such things.
Ronnie

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2008, 06:18:04 PM »
Jazzy,

Everyone is throwing quotes at you.  Here is one just for you.

You need to practice these because the Brits relish puns (fun with words).  This one is not only fun, it is unfortunately applicable to the topic:

In a democracy, it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes

I have a 100 of these, and they are a good test of your language comprehension.

Offline Jazzyclassy

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2008, 11:08:34 PM »
Thank you Gator for phrases it is very useful :)

To Ronnie

unlike you my husband never ever mocked Russia in the way you do and others, that is the first item, second he accepts me for who I am with all my opinions and negative ones, he does not try to change my mind, he explains  in a good nice kind language his point of view and why he thinks so.

He is  indifferent to politics and even though of course he has his point of view about this or that political regime , he is not trying to debate it like I do , cos he knows that those talks wont change life of simple people for the better, he finds it useless to spoil each others nerves to argue till everybody's sick about this or that political matter, and I agree with him completely. It is just sometimes I can not help but want to express my protest towards Superiority in this World and toward total Slavery which American government is trying to establish.

Of course not all Russian women feel like I do , especially those who are living in the USA, strange you compared those things.
About other Russian women being jealous of me marrying my husband, they simply did not do that as  I never told and never provoke those people to have such feelings about my marriage, they found out only much later . And actually many of them do not consider it to be a good thing, they felt sorry for me that I could not find normal Russian guy in Moscow, and that I will leave my family , friends and all this surrounding, so not all women think it is a huge luck. I do not care what they think as it is my life my decision and my love which is the most important.

about hostilities , I do not really have it towards any simple people of any nation.
I just feel it is not fair  for one country to rule the world , my position is too way idealistic to be real , and I do not think I will ever change, if I do , it wont be because some Ronnie from RWD is making me, it will be cos I will realise it

About supportive and caring audience ahahha you make me laugh here, you should have read much more topics here before they were deleted or corrected by Admin :) so I really do not know how to call the audience here :) :P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 11:11:37 PM by Jazzyclassy »

Offline DKMM

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2008, 11:24:39 PM »
Jazzy is a clever girl with a strong opinion, but that is something we like in RW right guys?  I find her points of view refreshing (while obviously showing she hasn't been to America) and enlightening for people to get a rather realistic view of the modern RW.  I find what she says to be similar to what I heard from my ex, a fellow moskovite.

There is nothing wrong with a healthy dose of skepticism but I must admit after several months of it I got really sick of dealing with defending my country against ridiculous statements made by my ex.  It made it hard to imagine a life with her here especially when I hear from the OMB's about how hard it is the 1st year anyway.  At the same time she declared she owes nothing to Russia and doesn't mind turning her back on it (she saw the difference between the people and the state).

Shadow, I moved a chunk of money into ING stock a few weeks ago to help hide it from our bank problem here... so far so good!  I also recommend Singapore (EWS) and global REITS if anybody is paying attention to my opinion.

Offline KenC

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2008, 07:02:14 AM »
Jazzy is a clever girl with a strong opinion, but that is something we like in RW right guys?  I find her points of view refreshing (while obviously showing she hasn't been to America) and enlightening for people to get a rather realistic view of the modern RW.  I find what she says to be similar to what I heard from my ex, a fellow moskovite.

There is nothing wrong with a healthy dose of skepticism but I must admit after several months of it I got really sick of dealing with defending my country against ridiculous statements made by my ex.  It made it hard to imagine a life with her here especially when I hear from the OMB's about how hard it is the 1st year anyway.  At the same time she declared she owes nothing to Russia and doesn't mind turning her back on it (she saw the difference between the people and the state).

Shadow, I moved a chunk of money into ING stock a few weeks ago to help hide it from our bank problem here... so far so good!  I also recommend Singapore (EWS) and global REITS if anybody is paying attention to my opinion.
DKMM,
I will have to disagree with your assessment that Jazzy is a good representation of what we look for in RW IMO.  Sure most have a certain amount of patriotism and a bit of negativity toward America, but not to the extremes that Jazzy takes them to.  She is not the norm but a caricature of the traits most commonly found in RW with the extremes almost to the level of a cartoon character.  I see no "cleverness" at all, only a very shallow and narrow view of things with an absolute closed mind to any form of logic or reason.  I could respect someone with "strong opinions" if they could validate them with facts or logic, but Jazzy can never do that and when pressed she tries to use her emotional womanhood as an excuse.

My wife came with a "healthy dose of skepticism" as you say.  Nothing wrong with that,  We had many many debates regarding the misinformation given from both respective governments.  Like in any reasonable mature debate of the subject, there was much give and take involved.  Some of her positions changed and some of mine did too.  But there is no reasonableness in Jazzy's character at all.  To debate with her is a foolish waste of energy.  If Jazzy were an good example of what we would find in women from the fsu, there would be no need to go there at all.
KenC
You are a den of vipers and thieves-Andrew Jackson on banks
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies-Thomas Jefferson

Offline mischief

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2008, 08:31:52 AM »
I believe the way any government in any country operates is based on economic, social and cultural environment people live in... For example, the principles of freedom you apply for yourself does not work in some cultures and will never work... like in FSU countries understanding  of freedom lacks understanding of responsibility...
Therefore to evaluate and judge a particular country and/or system many factors and  peculiarities should be taken into account... and lack of knowledge of the peculiarities of mentality and social interaction will make any evaluation inaccurate...
There will be always advantages and disadvantages of living in any country (if you have a opportunity to choose), it all depends on your priorities... Social Security Program's Benefits available for residents of small European countries like Norway are impossible to introduce to such a huge diverse country like the US... yet due to it's diversity the US can be home for a person from any nation...
Jazzy, you can have a strong opinion but it is necessary that you learn to express it in a civil way... it is for you sake in the first place, especially if you plan to live in GB... I lived a year in England studying in  college and spent every summer working with British people for about six years ... as much as I love GB, have many dear friends there I do not think it would ever be possible for me to feel there at home... while in the US it is easier to find people that will be culturally, intellectually and emotionally close to you...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 04:02:13 PM by mischief »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2008, 09:58:31 AM »

Oh thank you almighty Ronnie , but please do not worry for us , we will cope without you somehow

I think you  know more about Russia  than I do ,  not living there, what I know about America it is my point of view, I discuss it here  am not telling that I am right, so once again if you want to pick on me about american issue, you are welcome, but do not need to show that You know everything , as you do not

this site is owned by american people , and they prove one more time that there is no freedom of speech neither in america nor on this site and no need to bla bla bla else

Jazzy,

This board has influences from across the globe - not only American.

Also, regarding your reference to "Freedom of Speech", I should refer you to this much earlier post of mine from long ago -- http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=1374.0

What is says about Freedom of Speech, is this:

* Quotation from the the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

What that says is that *CONGRESS* shall not pass laws to limit your ability to say what you like. RWD is not Congress.

So you have the right to say whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want: on your own property, within the confines of your own space in accordance with the laws of the land. However, you do not have freedom of speech on privately-owned websites, or privately-owned forums.

RWD is NOT Congress, and DOES have the legal right to prescribe what is discussed, and what is NOT, within the confines of this virtual space. Refer to the Terms of Service which prescribes acceptable behaviors.

If you want to criticize RWD, you should really prepare a sound basis for your criticisms. If you find that we are acting outside of the Terms of Service (found HERE) or the RWD Vision (found HERE), please let me know directly.

- Dan

Offline Shadow

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2008, 11:19:18 AM »
Jazzy you confuse freedom of speech with freedom to say whatever you want.
In any country freedom of speech means the right you have your opinion and to tell it to others. Als others are free to have a disagreeing opinion and tell that to you.
This does not mean that when telling this opinion you can say whatever you want and insult others, just as others should not insult you.

If you wish to debate the value of opinion, build you statement with proof not with emotional words.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »
Jazzy, it seems to me that you come here and say whatever you want. That is freedom of speech. Some of us disagee with you and say so. That too is freedom of speech. If your posts were deleted or we were not allowed to disagee then we don't have freedom of speech.

Offline Gator

« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2008, 01:41:46 PM »
Jazzy,

What KenC had to say in his recent post reflects how he feels from developing a close understanding with his lovely and loving wife.  I gather there was much reasoned debate, and both kept an open mind.   Such an approach builds respect, very important in a relationship.   What if Ken and Lena had kept a closed mind and refused to listen to, much less consider, the other's opinion?

KenC experienced firsthand this success and he is trying, in his own way, to help other men do the same with their RW.  I hope that you are just as open minded and reasonable when you move to UK with your husband.  Your anti-American ways suggest that you are not.  In fact, it seems to me that you believe everything negative that is presented by your Russian media and that you are not thinking on your own. 

Some of your opinions have merit, yet that fact becomes lost when you say something that is dead wrong, do not substantiate it, and continue to argue it in face of contrary information.    I thought you are more intelligent than to do that. 

I read your comments about KenC being a bully.  He is simply direct.  Few men like to deal with a woman with whom we must always wear kid gloves.  Yes, sometimes it is necessary, but all the time become tedious.  In fact that trait is one of the three top traits of RW that RWD men want to avoid according to a survey in Odds and Ends. 

If you think KenC is a bully, please consider how an ex-Marine Drill Instructor may have responded:

"DID YOU HAVE A BIG BOWL OF STUPID FOR BREAKFAST THIS MORNING, NUMBNUTS? I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANOTHER WORD OUT OF THAT COMMIE CRY-HOLE IN THAT SH*T-PILE YOU CALL A HEAD! AND THAT GOES TRIPLE FOR THE REST OF YOU PANSY-ASSED MORONS! NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF MY PRESS ROOM BEFORE I SHOVE MY BOOT SO FAR UP YOUR ASS THAT YOU CHOKE TO DEATH ON MY SHOELACES!!!!

[fictiously attributed to Ronald Lee Ermey]

« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 01:52:03 PM by Gator »

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2008, 02:58:35 PM »
Freedom of speech cannot exist without a truly free press.  No nation has freedom of speech when a government says, "you have freedom of speech" with the understanding that if you speak truth about those in power, you will be murdered.  Nor can there be freedom when the government directly or indirectly owns the press.

Without freedom of speech, there can be no other freedoms.  To say that some cultures are not capable or ready to be free ranks as the most preposterous claim ever uttered.  Freedom is in nature.  It is a basic right of all people and all people yearn for it and cannot live complete lives without it. 

Highlights of the findings of the International News Safety Institute:

One thousand news media personnel have died trying to cover the news around the world in the past 10 years*.

Only one in four died in war and other armed conflicts.

The great majority died in peacetime, covering the news in their own countries.

Most of those killed were murdered because of their jobs; eliminated by hostile authorities or criminals.

Nine out of 10 murderers in the past decade have never been prosecuted.

The news media death toll has increased steadily since 2000. The last full year covered by the report, 2005, was a record with 147 dead. It has since emerged that 2006 was even worse, with 167 fatalities, according to INSI's annual tally.

The Top 21 bloodiest countries over the past 10 years have been Iraq (138), Russia (88), Colombia (72), Philippines (55), Iran ** (54), India (45), Algeria (32), the former republic of Yugoslavia (32), Mexico (31), Pakistan (29), Brazil (27), USA (21), Bangladesh (19), Ukraine (17), Nigeria, Peru, Sierra Leone & Sri Lanka (16), Afghanistan, Indonesia & Thailand (13)
Shooting was by far the greatest cause of death, accounting for almost half the total. Bombing, stabbing, beating, torture, strangulation and decapitation were also used to silence reporting. Some men and women disappeared, their fate unknown.

In war, it was much safer to be embedded with an army than not - independent news reporters, so-called unilaterals, accounted for 92 per cent of the dead.

Overall, armed forces - regular or irregular - police and officials accounted for 22 per cent of killings.

The death toll was evenly split between press and broadcast. But news agencies, which are fewer in number, were relatively badly hit with six per cent of the total.

Most of those who died were on staff -- 91 per cent against 9 per cent freelance -- and one-third fell near their home, office or hotel.
Ronnie

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »

unlike you my husband never ever mocked Russia in the way you do and others, that is the first item, second he accepts me for who I am with all my opinions and negative ones, he does not try to change my mind, he explains  in a good nice kind language his point of view and why he thinks so.

Jazzy, I fail to see anywhere where Ronnie or anyone else has mocked Russia here.

... he finds it useless to spoil each others nerves to argue till everybody's sick about this or that political matter, and I agree with him completely. It is just sometimes I can not help but want to express my protest towards Superiority in this World and toward total Slavery which American government is trying to establish.

Perhaps you should follow your husband's lead on this one, because suggesting that the American Gov't is pushing "toward total Slavery"  sounds beyond absurd to me. I can agree with you that Kosovo and Iraq were both huge, and maybe even criminal mistakes (it's been said that Clinton's order to send troops into Kosovo would have been a much better charge for impeachment than the whole Monica Lewinsky thing, and I've been fairly vocal about the Iraq invasion being a bad idea since they started suggesting it). As far as Belarus, you are WAY off the mark, anything the US is doing now is in direct response to prior actions taken by Lukashenko against his own citizens as well as the world at large. Virtually all the arguments you've made about US policy could also be applied to Russian policy.

About other Russian women being jealous of me marrying my husband, they simply did not do that as  I never told and never provoke those people to have such feelings about my marriage, they found out only much later . And actually many of them do not consider it to be a good thing, they felt sorry for me that I could not find normal Russian guy in Moscow, and that I will leave my family , friends and all this surrounding, so not all women think it is a huge luck. I do not care what they think as it is my life my decision and my love which is the most important.

Hold that thought until you return "home" after living a year or two abroad, and see how many still feel "sorry for you"  ::) I can just about guarantee you're going to be quite shocked by what those same people are saying then  :o

Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline Jazzyclassy

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2008, 10:53:46 PM »
Gator ,

The fact that KenC is the most repulsive person in so many internet boards such as RWD it is not a secret and that he is a bully that is for sure. And you do not have to be a child to understand that.

You can not be real men if you humiliate a russian woman in the board, much more younger than you are and who can be your grandaughter, at the same time you compare this woman with your russian wives, and humiliate her and insult her dignity much more, just cos she has the other opinion. I have no respect for such men and will never have, who are claiming and boasting to be from a higher Society,belonging to High class manners and meanwhile they are ready to  mix a woman with mud , no matter which views she can have. Not everybody think like you think "gentlemen".

I failed to explain my position about KenC and his constant mocking at any of my posts no matter what I say  to Dan,I honestly think Dan just does not hear what I try to explain , he is shutting his eyes, ok , let this be on his conscience, I 've always believed that the administration of this site is loyal and fair, but  I begin to doubt this seriously

About political views, you are all living in America , you have pro Americanized policy and of course it is natural to defend your country and to be patriotic, that's fair I understand. But why are you forbiding the other person to defend his/her own country like you defend yours.Where is your loyality?

The topic was about expressing your true honest views on politics in general, why do I have to lie about my views just in order to suit this dedushka KenC?

In real life , knowing such an ill reaction on my opinion about politics I wont even participate in such debate with american people and pro americanized nations like ukrain for example, that is all, so do not you worry about my life in the UK, worry about yourself please, no need to take somebody's problems on yourself.

I wonder why I can calmly talk with my friends from europe about politics and they never ever react like all the memebers of this forum do , so do not think that I am an alien , person with a black sheep attitude, you are wrong, but who cares,  you will never apologize for insults and even more will encourage such dedushkas who do not know what to do else  like KenC to participate here and to insult other women,if that was your wife KenC who would be insulted? I bet you would be wild, but you would not understand that while insulting other women, cos you are all over yourself.

All these bullies and insults will return back to you , so go on , carry on your mockings "hero"

« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:55:45 PM by Jazzyclassy »

Offline Jazzyclassy

« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2008, 11:19:57 PM »
    Hold that thought until you return "home" after living a year or two abroad, and see how many still feel "sorry for you"   I can just about guarantee you're going to be quite shocked by what those same people are saying then             

You know Jet,  there are very nice people in Russia who do not change their mind about such topics as love, if someone who is trully happy for you no matter where you found you love, they will always be supportive and those who feel sorry for you and then when you come and visit them they try to lick your arse, those people should not be taken seriously that is all.

No need to put yourself as an outstanding genius that you have an international marriage, it is  like the same marriage with your nation woman or man , so no need to think much more of yourself than you really are.

Offline DKMM

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2008, 12:01:07 AM »
Ken,
Its more common these days.  The whole country is a changing and the media has an anti american bias.  Some of what I see JC write is echoed by other friends I have over there and they are a very diverse bunch... Just saying what I hear that's all.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2008, 12:14:27 AM »
Freedom of speech cannot exist without a truly free press.  No nation has freedom of speech when a government says, "you have freedom of speech" with the understanding that if you speak truth about those in power, you will be murdered.  Nor can there be freedom when the government directly or indirectly owns the press.

As long as we are talking about principles, don't throw the rest out with the bath water..

What about good old 'Innocent until proven Guilty?'

I can imagine that reporters get into many situations with folks that dislike their reporting.  Fact is that it has become a dangerous job.  Any fatalities among weather reporters?  Just because a reporter is killed does not mean that a government is behind it.  I can imagine a wide range of enemies exist.

Regarding government involvement in these crimes without any parties declared guilty, If one considers the RU Government did it, consideration must also be made that maybe even the US or other government was involved, trying to give a 'black eye'.  All kind of motives out there.

We probably never will know the truth so it's kinda stupid to broil ourselves over a fire here.

Eduard

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2008, 01:42:05 AM »
There is an  obvious anti-American bias in Russian media. Every time an announcer mentions something about the US they have a sarcastic tone of voice and a facial expression that obviously makes Russian public think "oh those silly Yankee idiots"
This has been happening for quite some time now and every time I'm in Russia it amazes me how people changed from looking up to the US to almost hating her.
I think it's just part of Putin's policy: give people somebody to hate and that powerful emotion can be directed for the benefit of Putin's organization.
Make no mistake, Putin is not a solo act. It's a powerful system/organization with it's KGB routs. The power is in the hands of a few very smart, very well educated, very history conscious and very greedy people who know exactly what they are doing. I don't predict that anything is going to change in Russia for the next 25 years or so. The power will be transfered to the next person selected by the committee, "elections" Soviet style will be held to appease people and give them a sense that they actually have a say in Russian politics....people are relatively happy with the stability that they wished for in the turbulent 90s so they don't really want anything to change. A few opposition voices that dare to speak out will be silenced KGB style as they have been in the past. An "unprotected" citizen will still not have any rights and can be killed, robbed, put away with no consequences to anybody. They will continue having laws that guarantee that any person or business who is in business breaks the above law, this way they have anyone and everyone "on the hook" and if you became inconvenient for someone who is better connected you can be dealt with any way they choose...It's a discusting, corrupt system and some Russians understand how disfunctional it really is. But the masses, the vast majority accept it as the "norm" since this system is all they know and grew up with. It can be compared to an abused child growing up in a disfunctional, abusive family. That's all he knows and until he grows up and wonders off on his own, learns that there are other ways he thinks that he is living a "normal" life...
Now there is enough corruption here in the US. Judges are bought, government contract bids are rigged, Everyone connected to Busch family is making millions off of his war in Iraq while the country is about to hit recession, yet a human being feels secure here, generally there is a rule of law, unlike in Russia where unless you have some serious connections you can just dissapear one day.
A Russian friend of mine who decided to move his family here to the US was telling me how his brother who is a pretty big businessman in Russia was complaining to him about the situation today: "I miss the times when we had to deal with gangsters. At least they kept their word and once you were paying them a percentage they would keep all the trouble away. Now, it's just "bezpredel!" (no limits, complete anarchy)
now the cops shake us down, but the cops are on rotation so they try to hit you for as much as possible, without being concerned that you will be out of business tomorrow. At least gangsters looked at your books and made sure that you can stay in business and pay them regularly. These cops on the other hand just want to get you for everything you've got with no concern about what happens tomorrow!"
A funny and very sad anecdote of Russian reality today...yes most gangsters are gone, now the government and law enforcement took their place..how ironic

Offline deccie

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2008, 02:56:48 AM »

About political views, you are all living in America , you have pro Americanized policy and of course it is natural to defend your country and to be patriotic, that's fair I understand. But why are you forbiding the other person to defend his/her own country like you defend yours.Where is your loyality?
Jazzy, it is an easy thing to do to defend your own county without thinking. It is a far more difficult thing to do is to support your country where it is right to do so and to work for change where your country is wrong.
It doesn't have to be an absolute either/or situation. There are a lot of people on this board living in other cultures apart from the one they grew up in. There are not all pro american unquestioning bigots as you would seek to imply. Quite the contrary I have see quite a few posters in this thread who readily admit America has problems.

The topic was about expressing your true honest views on politics in general, why do I have to lie about my views just in order to suit this dedushka KenC?
It is one thing to hold an opinion on a particular topic. It is quite another to then be able to defend that opinion on a logical, reasoned basis. I think it is part of a civilised society to be able to expect people to be able to defend their opinions on particular topics. We have enough trouble with all the *ists and *isms in this world and that is what you end up with unless a requirement is made of people to be able to logically argue their case.

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2008, 04:18:39 AM »
You know Jet,  there are very nice people in Russia who do not change their mind about such topics as love, if someone who is trully happy for you no matter where you found you love, they will always be supportive and those who feel sorry for you and then when you come and visit them they try to lick your arse, those people should not be taken seriously that is all.

You were the one who suggested that nobody around you was jealous and instead they felt sorry for you. My point was that they will not show any jealousy NOW as there is nothing for them to be jealous of, NOW. Once you've moved abroad, lived there for a while and then return, that's when you'll understand things much more clearly regarding who your true friends really are, and not before. I am speaking from the experience of my wife, but not only her, we've spoken to many other couples where the wife had similar experiences upon returning to Russia. "Crabs in a bucket"  ;)

No need to put yourself as an outstanding genius that you have an international marriage, it is  like the same marriage with your nation woman or man , so no need to think much more of yourself than you really are.

You're going to have to point me to the posts where I put myself "as an outstanding genius"  ??? If offering opinion, I usually try to speak from personal experience, that's all. What you seem to be unwilling to accept is the idea that many things in your future, are already in the past for those of us who've been married a while and to make a comment like "it is  like the same marriage with your nation woman or man" proves that in a way. As far as a person thinking much more of themselves than they really are... Mrs. Pot may I introduce you to Mr. Kettle... I'd like to respectfully suggest that there is at least one person involved in this discussion who's self importance is considerably more evident in her posts than mine.  ;)
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline Jazzyclassy

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2008, 04:29:31 AM »
Jet I did not mean in particularly you

I told about it in general  that international marriage it is just the same normal marriage you could have with the person of your nationality

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2008, 05:14:33 AM »
Gator ,

The fact that KenC is the most repulsive person in so many internet boards such as RWD it is not a secret and that he is a bully that is for sure. And you do not have to be a child to understand that.

You can not be real men if you humiliate a russian woman in the board, much more younger than you are and who can be your grandaughter, at the same time you compare this woman with your russian wives, and humiliate her and insult her dignity much more, just cos she has the other opinion. I have no respect for such men and will never have, who are claiming and boasting to be from a higher Society,belonging to High class manners and meanwhile they are ready to  mix a woman with mud , no matter which views she can have. Not everybody think like you think "gentlemen".

I failed to explain my position about KenC and his constant mocking at any of my posts no matter what I say  to Dan,I honestly think Dan just does not hear what I try to explain , he is shutting his eyes, ok , let this be on his conscience, I 've always believed that the administration of this site is loyal and fair, but  I begin to doubt this seriously

In real life , knowing such an ill reaction on my opinion about politics I wont even participate in such debate with american people and pro americanized nations like ukrain for example, that is all, so do not you worry about my life in the UK, worry about yourself please, no need to take somebody's problems on yourself.

I wonder why I can calmly talk with my friends from europe about politics and they never ever react like all the memebers of this forum do , so do not think that I am an alien , person with a black sheep attitude, you are wrong, but who cares,  you will never apologize for insults and even more will encourage such dedushkas who do not know what to do else  like KenC to participate here and to insult other women,if that was your wife KenC who would be insulted? I bet you would be wild, but you would not understand that while insulting other women, cos you are all over yourself.

All these bullies and insults will return back to you , so go on , carry on your mockings "hero"

Jazzy,

I addressed your concerns in my reply to the PM you sent me yesterday.

Here, you have decided to escalate things - and you are now in attacking mode.

I understand your frustration, but YOU have contributed mightily to the problem that you now find frustrating.

I do not have the time to review all the messages you may consider to be insulting or offensive. If you care to find each one - use the Report to Moderator button - and someone will review each one. If you contributed to the problems, it is unlikely that anything will be done.

If you find that you are unable to interact constructively with KenC, I suggest you use the 'Ignore' button. It is not a perfect solution, but it should serve to diminish, at least, the posts you see that you find antagonistic. The other, superior, solution would be for you and KenC to write one another (off the board) and reconcile your differences - if that is possible.

- Dan

Offline Serebro

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2008, 05:51:38 AM »
A Russian friend of mine who decided to move his family here to the US was telling me how his brother who is a pretty big businessman in Russia was complaining to him about the situation today: "I miss the times when we had to deal with gangsters. At least they kept their word and once you were paying them a percentage they would keep all the trouble away. Now, it's just "bezpredel!" (no limits, complete anarchy)
now the cops shake us down, but the cops are on rotation so they try to hit you for as much as possible, without being concerned that you will be out of business tomorrow. At least gangsters looked at your books and made sure that you can stay in business and pay them regularly. These cops on the other hand just want to get you for everything you've got with no concern about what happens tomorrow!"
A funny and very sad anecdote of Russian reality today...yes most gangsters are gone, now the government and law enforcement took their place..how ironic
I am sorry, Eduard, but the friend of your friend seems to be an "old school" person who got used to bribery.You give a bribe and you get what you want.You didn't have to worry about small details like making certificates or something.You could give money to the "right person" and you could do and sell what you wanted.

10 years ago it was nearly impossible for my family to start its own business because you had to pay a lot to "gangsters"and do it regularly and if you didn't you and your family would be kicked out of this filed or even killed, so mainly people who were close friends of "gangsters" or "gangsters" themselves could start business and control the situation.

Now both me and my father run their own businesses so many of my friends do and I don't see the situation as "bezpredel".Of course now I have to worry a lot about the quality of services and make a lot of documents to start my own business but the idea is that the population get some protection as I can't really do what I want just by paying money to the right person.Of course it's not perfect but it's definitely not worse than it was 10 years ago.

just a note.

Offline chivo

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2008, 06:24:52 AM »
Ken,
Its more common these days.  The whole country is a changing and the media has an anti american bias.  Some of what I see JC write is echoed by other friends I have over there and they are a very diverse bunch... Just saying what I hear that's all.

One could content the same with the western press regarding Russia.

The fact is there is not some big anti-American movement here. Yes you'll find some, but mostly what you get here is balance. By balance, I mean, some one to stand up to America's propaganda machine. I mean BS does beget BS now doesn't it.

Ever since the fall of the Soviet Union, America has flexed its power far more than it should. Well, if you're an American its all well and good, but if you're not, just shut up and enjoy the fact that America is a better country than yours, and you all should live like us.

To be honest, Jazzy is partly right about what she says, she just doesn't express it as best as possible. Maybe she does lean to much on emotion, which lends itself to some illogical conclusions.

Believe me its not just Russia as she says, its most of Europe too.

Point is it's easy to come on these boards an bash Russia. I see (and hear) it all the time, especially from Americans. I've said it a million times, that you all need to take a closer look at what your country is doing before you start to throw stones.

want to talk about freedom of the press. Well in America, under Bush, freedom of the press basically is agreeing with FOX News, who controls the media there. Oh you can disagree strongly with the powers that be and live, but in essence you'll be committing career suicide instead.

anyway here are somethings written by an American:
http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.php?ARTICLE_ID=8336&IBLOCK_ID=35

http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.php?ARTICLE_ID=17534&IBLOCK_ID=35

http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.php?ARTICLE_ID=10127&IBLOCK_ID=35

Jazzy, this one's for you.
http://www.exile.ru/blog/detail.php?BLOG_ID=17706&AUTHOR_ID=

Another thing to point out is that, slowly but surely, some things are changing. Most of you are dealing with beliefs that just aren't current with what's happening today.

One thing I like to do is put myself in the other person shoes as best as possible, to see things from a different perspective. It's one of the things here that has changed my view on things happening around the world.

Me thinks some of the views here are a bit one sided. Maybe its time to buy some new shoes.

chivo

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1873
Total: 1884

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM