It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Rushin in Russia  (Read 28571 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Rushin in Russia
« on: July 27, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
Rushing in Russia / A Blog for Experiencing a Meeting in a WOVO over a long weekend.

Today is July 27th and I am in Moskva.  Got here a couple of hours ago and it is only a layover for a quick trip to Chelyabinsk.  I thought it would be both entertaining and educational for those in this endeavor. For a guy from Los Angeles, I am amazed at how hot and humid the airport is.  I’ll get to that in a minute. 

A couple of years ago, I was heavily involved with a gal, also from Chelyabinsk, that I broke up shortly before we were to announce our engagement.  To say that such a relationship caused me to rethink my role in the endeavor of finding a woman in Eastern Europe is an understatement.  But, in reviewing everything that has happened in her life since then, I can tell you that I was one lucky SOB in ending it and leaving her in Chelyabinsk.  (She recently married a guy from the San Jose area.  You know those internet apps, that add a nose and ears on a picture of someone making them into a dog or a kitty?  Well, still feeling sorry for the guy, I imagined his picture with a long nose and donkey ears.  Don’t get me wrong, the gal is a nice gal, but, playing the long game, I finally figured out what her long game is and it ain’t pretty.  He’s in for a long and unhappy relationship.)

So, now, here I go again.  I have no idea how this will work out but if you would like to live through a guy’s trip vicariously, I invite you to join me on my blog, the good and the bad.

Here goes:

I live in the Los Angeles area and figured that flying the Delta connection is probably the best way to get between Los Angele and Russia.  The sister airline for Delta is Air France.  SO…. I took the all nighter to Paris last night on Air France and then, once there, late afternoon took the flight from CDG to Sheremetyevo.  Those who have read my trip reports, previously will remember that I have anxiety associated with flying.  This was to be no exception.  But, hey, I’m getting ahead of myself.
I was telling my friend Larry, a couple of months ago, that I had pretty well lost interest in dating women from Eastern Europe.  I have no problem meeting gals in Los Angeles and have had a collection of locals that were keeping me interested. 

But I have kept my nose to the ground and still had a small interest in following the overseas offerings.  Unlike our UK contributor who believes that the MOB sites are riddled with scammers, I have known a number of women on Elena’s that are 1.) both sincere and not scammers and 2.) hold dear my ideas of what a family should be.  That is not to say that scammers don’t exist on Elena’s.  But they are so easy to spot that I barely give them notice.

Our gal, that I am visiting in Russia, is both beautiful and kind.  She is no babe in the woods and I am constantly impressed with the sophistication that she uses to enhance our relationship rather than use it to gain advantage or push me in directions that would scare me off.  Later, upon meeting in person for the first time, I will share a physical description of her.   And, if she agrees, will share pics.   But, for now, I thought I’d share my trip blog.

So, yesterday, both my kids dropped me off at the airport.  It was a fun event.  And, no, the doggies are not along on this trip.  Nor will they ever go overseas again.  I have acclimated them to a great gal who knows how to make them happy when I am gone and their days of traveling are over.
Easy check in.  I am gone for six days.  Two of those are for traveling as Chelyabinsk is in the lower Urals, no hop, skip and a jump.  Day traveling there and one day traveling back (Sorry Kiwibreath – traveling is spelled with one ‘L’ in this blog).  I made the trip to CDG in Paris without incident.  I had popped a Xanax prior to getting on the plane, so I fell right asleep.  But prior to going to sleep, my two seat mates were a French couple who also had a daughter on the plane.  They asked me if I would move to their daughter’s seat.  I explained in my limited French that I had paid a premium for that seat and was not about to move.  But, I suggested that since they had extra legroom where we were, why didn’t they offer their seats to the seatmates of their daughter and then they could all sit together.  They were offended by such a suggestion.  Why would they give up their seats since they were better than the seats they were getting.  It would be an attractive offer to anyone.  “Why would we do that”, they complained. (Oh, the French!  The flight attendants were knock outs!

My panic attacks on planes started many years ago when I would travel back and forth between LA and Sacramento at least two days a week.  It happened one day on a runway where we were in a hold, without A/C.  I told the flight attendant that day that I had never experienced such a feeling of helplessness being relegated to the middle seat in a crowded row with sweaty people that I felt like my life was changed forever.  It got to a point where I would see the door leading to a plane and panic and not even be able to cross the threshold.  My doctor prescribed me Xanax for just such occasions.  The problem is that Xanax must be taken around an hour before getting on the plane. 

I timed my medication perfectly yesterday and by the time I got on Air France (I had purchased an upgrade to preferred seating in a Door row with extra leg room) that I fell asleep even before the plane took off.  I slept for about 4 hours out of the flight and spent the rest of the time playing Hangman and watching the Magnificent 7.  When I arrived in CDG, I purchased a European converter (mine were in storage somewhere and my storage unit is at least 130 degrees in the summer and I refused to search them out.)  I made some notes to my office to work on when the employees woke up the next day and was ready to get on the flight to Moskva.

Oops.  I had forgotten to take my medication for the trip between Paris and Moscow!

I thought to myself, ‘what the hell’ I just made a long flight, nothing is going to happen.   I had also purchased an upgrade on this flight and had plenty of leg room.  What I did not expect is that the people had boarded without A/C.  I sat in my seat for a minute and knew I was lost.  Panic ensued.  I got up, walked around, and still was in panic mode.  I asked the flight attendant to give me some ice, both to eat and to rub on my forehead.  I took my medication, but knew that such was not going to be in time.  The premium (head flight attendant) came over and started talking me through it.  Fortunately, he spoke perfect English.  He advised me that the door was already closed and I was not getting off the plane.  But then he said he would put me in row 1 and keep an eye on me.  Such was really important.  It was cooler and had no people around.  The only gal there, close by, was a beautiful Kova who took me under her wing and promised that she would make sure that I would get to Moscow.  For the first ten minutes I read every advertisement in every magazine I could find.  Finally, the plane took off and I was able to settle down and promptly went to sleep.  When I woke up, I was in Russia and wound through the passport control, baggage claim and delivered my baggage to Aeroflot who would be handling the last leg of my flight.  My rusty Russian coming back to me, I had no problem handling this stuff.  To cap off the first part of my trip, I had a cold smoked salmon quesadilla . 

OOOOOhhhhhh.  Boy.  Best food I have ever had in a Russian airport.  It was delicious.   So, here I am, reporting to you, my friends.  And hopefully, I’ll have time to write again as the four days in Russia rush by.

Oh, forgot to tell you.  Made a rookie mistake on this trip.  Was trying to get all things done quickly, once arriving in Russia.  In the baggage area there is a money exchange kiosk.  Went up and slapped down a thousand dollars.  She was the only money exchange player in view.  DIdn’t even look at the exchange rate.  BIG MISTAKE.  She was trading at 40,000 rubles to a thousand US.  Upstairs, as I found out ten minutes later, they were trading at 50,0000 rubles to a thousand US.  Let’s see, 40,000 rubles vs. 50,000 rubles.  $200 error on my part.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.    I had it figured out after the event.  She is there to change money to get a taxi ride or something, but not to do major money exchange.  However.  I did save quite a bit on the tickets, round trip, by segmenting out the trip to Moscow from the trip to Chelyabinsk.                                                                                                                                                 
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Rushin in Russia
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »
Thanks Jone, hope you can post more. Just like reading someone's POV and experience, imagining me going through the process in Russia.

For all those that read this, the last point, never exchange money at airport unless you need taxi or aeroexpress fare. Much, much better rate using ATM machine if cash needed at airport.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 07:45:51 PM »
For all those that read this, the last point, never exchange money at airport unless you need taxi or aeroexpress fare. Much, much better rate using ATM machine if cash needed at airport.

Don't know about Sheremetyevo, but Domodedovo had ATMs just outside the baggage claim area when I was last there.  The only airport where I have ever got an exchange rate that was close to reality was, believe it or not, Boryspil.  Rates at Forex bureaux at Australian airports (and Auckland, for that matter, because they have the same concesionaire) are crap.

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 08:02:23 PM »
Don't know about Sheremetyevo, but Domodedovo had ATMs just outside the baggage claim area when I was last there.  The only airport where I have ever got an exchange rate that was close to reality was, believe it or not, Boryspil.  Rates at Forex bureaux at Australian airports (and Auckland, for that matter, because they have the same concesionaire) are crap.

The exchange rates available at both Boryspil  & Zhuliany  in Ukraine   are identical to what is on offer everywhere -- and are posted clearly for all to see.So--really no reason not to use.Money can be exchanged just about everywhere at all hours-- so no reason to exchange large amounts at one time and have a bulge of  cash!
Credit cards ( Visa & Mastercard) are accepted in most places. Occasionally -- cash is needed --but much less than 5/6 years ago .

You are correct about Aus airports--it is much worse than bank rate.Recently in Melbourne the ANZ  bank  closed it's airport branch --it was THE best and most convenient way-- and fairest price.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline jone

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:24:33 PM »
One more item to share.  Last leg of flight is on Aeroflot.  I know 2Tall will never use this airline, but I have not had any bad luck with it.  So, having booked my ticket I sat with an elderly couple that I totally enjoyed talking to.  But in the row in front of us was a mother, her sister, and three children.  The middle child had to be three years old and the flight was at 12:05 AM.  Needless to say there was a lot of crying.   The mother was on the other side of the isle and the older daughter and aunt were to take care of the middle child on my side of the isle directly in front of me.  The middle daughter obviously wanted the mother's comfort and would not be denied.  I explained in my rusty Russian, that if the mother would move between the oldest daughter and aunt, the middle little crying girl could stretch across the two of them and we could all get a little sleep on the flight.  She did that with immediate and less noisy results.  I was awarded Hero of the Soviet Union by the rest of the folks on the flight.

By choosing to have the Radisson send a taxi to me, at the airport, I sidestepped all of the solicitations when I arrived.  It cost me 1500 Rubles, or about $25.  And I paid the hotel, not the driver.  This hotel substitutes for the five star hotels available in most other cities.  I would give it 3.5 stars on the USA Hotel Meter.  But they compped me a half day and gave me free breakfast when I got here.  Cost of the room is under a hundred a night and is a suite, not a room.  Also had a nice handwritten note (in English) from the Office Manager of the hotel, welcoming me.  Nice touch.

Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline jone

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 11:33:39 PM »
Thanks Jone, hope you can post more. Just like reading someone's POV and experience, imagining me going through the process in Russia.

Yeah, reminds me of the time I bought a pair of gloves at the GUM department store across from Red Square.  I contributed to the Russian economy that day as well.

Offline jone

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 11:37:34 PM »
The exchange rates available at both Boryspil  & Zhuliany  in Ukraine   are identical to what is on offer everywhere -- and are posted clearly for all to see.So--really no reason not to use.Money can be exchanged just about everywhere at all hours-- so no reason to exchange large amounts at one time and have a bulge of  cash!
Credit cards ( Visa & Mastercard) are accepted in most places. Occasionally -- cash is needed --but much less than 5/6 years ago .

You are correct about Aus airports--it is much worse than bank rate.Recently in Melbourne the ANZ  bank  closed it's airport branch --it was THE best and most convenient way-- and fairest price.

I always have a thousand dollars in local currency when I am in a country.  Never know when it might come in handy.  I also keep a thousand in USD.  Sometimes dollars work better than the local bills.

Offline LAman

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 12:02:29 AM »
Yeah, reminds me of the time I bought a pair of gloves at the GUM department store across from Red Square.  I contributed to the Russian economy that day as well.

Yea, I will be contributing to the Russian economy soon. )))
Although, I will contribute a more to the Ukrainian economy. And since I am a nice guy, I will leave some with Belarus!!!!

Also considering sharing some links for travel on bus/train in both countries!!

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 06:50:19 AM »
Enjoying reading about your current trip Jone. Its a breath of fresh air compared to all the political nonsense here. Thanks!!!!  :clapping:
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline LAman

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 07:26:44 AM »
I don't mind flying on Aeroflot, never had a bad experience, besides from LA there is a non-stop flight to Moscow 11-12 hours with NO connections. Why didn't you use this Jone with your anxiety attacks? Sometimes if you book early flights are inexpensive. Only bad thing about flights are the amount of obnoxious people on board, more so on return flight. I will be taking this flight next month.

Offline Gator

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 10:22:02 AM »
A trip report!  And composed by an interesting correspondent.

Reading such is definitely one of the benefits of being a RWD member.

Looking forward to reading more about Chelyabinsk and learning more about the qualities of the woman who compelled you to get back on your horse. 

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 12:10:07 PM »
Rushing in Russia / A Blog for Experiencing a Meeting in a WOVO over a long weekend. 

A couple of years ago, I was heavily involved with a gal, also from Chelyabinsk, that I broke up shortly before we were to announce our engagement.  To say that such a relationship caused me to rethink my role in the endeavor of finding a woman in Eastern Europe is an understatement.  But, in reviewing everything that has happened in her life since then, I can tell you that I was one lucky SOB in ending it and leaving her in Chelyabinsk.  (She recently married a guy from the San Jose area.  You know those internet apps, that add a nose and ears on a picture of someone making them into a dog or a kitty?  Well, still feeling sorry for the guy, I imagined his picture with a long nose and donkey ears.  Don’t get me wrong, the gal is a nice gal, but, playing the long game, I finally figured out what her long game is and it ain’t pretty.  He’s in for a long and unhappy relationship.)

But I have kept my nose to the ground and still had a small interest in following the overseas offerings.  Unlike our UK contributor who believes that the MOB sites are riddled with scammers, I have known a number of women on Elena’s that are 1.) both sincere and not scammers and 2.) hold dear my ideas of what a family should be.  That is not to say that scammers don’t exist on Elena’s.  But they are so easy to spot that I barely give them notice.

Oh, forgot to tell you.  Made a rookie mistake on this trip.  Was trying to get all things done quickly, once arriving in Russia.  In the baggage area there is a money exchange kiosk.  Went up and slapped down a thousand dollars.  She was the only money exchange player in view.  DIdn’t even look at the exchange rate.  BIG MISTAKE.  She was trading at 40,000 rubles to a thousand US.  Upstairs, as I found out ten minutes later, they were trading at 50,0000 rubles to a thousand US.  Let’s see, 40,000 rubles vs. 50,000 rubles.  $200 error on my part.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.    I had it figured out after the event.  She is there to change money to get a taxi ride or something, but not to do major money exchange.  However.  I did save quite a bit on the tickets, round trip, by segmenting out the trip to Moscow from the trip to Chelyabinsk.                                                                                                                                               

How did you suss her out Jone? I know some girls make foolishly amateur errors by taking certain actions, saying or doing certain things or not covering their tracks properly/inadvertently leaving tell-tell signs. For many of us in this dating game we are faced with the possibility of a girl playing the long game. I know if a girls intently into us its the best way to avoid it but some girls are just so damn convincing that they are into us its not always east to tell. I get the impression in Ukraine perhaps in a lot of FSU many girls become like this in order to survive. But it will be handy knowing all we can about what to look out for? so we don't find out too late which is a tenancy of the long game I think.

I'm guessing you're talking about me with Elena's ;D I think as you get to know the game more its easier to pick them out. At my stage I can pick out quite a lot but still think I would stand too much chance of picking out a bad one. Like I said the other day most seem to be in the big tourist cities of Moscow, Kiev, St. Petersburg, Odessa, etc. When you get to far flung places like you're going in Chelyabinsk or as someone pointed out to me a while back Barnaul then I think it gets a hell of a lot less - since these places are not the usual FSU dating traps. I think most, myself included go to the touristy cities first when starting out as we can't resist mixing the two - dating & tourism. Essentially it seems peculiar to avoid the big tourist cities if never been to them before and go somewhere many would consider obscure. A mistake but one most of us tend to feel compelled to do at first I think.

I also find it easy to make silly mistakes and not get the best deal at all times, hazard of the game I guess, No doubt your employees will be working the currency mistake off for you Jone ;D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline jone

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 02:50:41 PM »
Ah, where was I? Oh yes.  This morning.  The payoff!

Sorry folks.  She never showed.  Trip over.  Time to go home.  Her grandmother was ill.  She was called into work.  Her shoe lost a heel. 

Everyone can go back to their political arguments.  There's nothing to see here.

**********************************************************************************

Okay.  Just kidding.

Four days ago, before I left, my gal, we’ll call her The Princess Bride or PB for short, let me know that she was not going to meet me at the airport.   Even though my plane would arrive at a time normal people are sleeping, it sent a chill up my spine.  Your man is coming halfway around the world and all of a sudden you say that you want to wait to meet?  Her advice to me was to rest up and we could meet when I am rested.  Hey.  I’m gonna sleep on the plane for fifteen hours.  Shouldn’t I be rested when I get there?  But, as Freud says, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  I shouldn’t read too much into it.  After mulling it over, and at the advice of some friend on this forum, I decided to let it go.  Besides, having the hotel send a car was quick and easy and saved me trouble.

I arrived at the hotel at 5:30 in the morning.  My room is a mini-suite on the top floor and looks over City Center.  I had driven past it on past trips but had never been inside.  Both the pool and spa were unavailable for my trip which disappointed me as I want to get some swimming in.   So I did what any normal traveler would do:  I went to my room, turned on the TV and charged my phone and computer.  I sent PB a note saying a I had arrived and looked forward to our day together.  We use WhatsApp to communicate and, in sending the note, I got a chill.  Instead of noting that the message was received and waiting to be read, it showed me a clock which meant ‘no communication’.  Again, in my mind, I was playing over the possible causes for this – the most glaring that she had blocked me on her phone.  After waiting around a bit, I fell asleep on the bed.  When I woke up it was 10:00 in the morning and I immediately looked at my phone.  So I used the phone to try and decide what would happen if the meet didn’t occur.  The first thing I looked at was Google.  Damn.  That didn’t work.  Oops.  Had not put in the user name and password correctly from the hotel….. okay.  Fixed it.  Just then my phone chimed.  My message to PB had gone through and she had already responded.  WhatsApp needed the internet on my side, not hers.  My imagination had run away with me, when the fault was mine. 

We immediately made plans.  We would meet at 13:00.   That’s 1PM to you non-nautical rookies.  Great.  It gave me time to shave, clean up, put my clothes away in the closet and dresser, and still be down in the lobby in time to see my date.  Okay.  It is a Russian woman.  I should have known better.  At 1PM a text: “I am 15 minutes late.”  Fifteen minutes later, another text.   I am near.  Finally, just before 1:30, I see my gal get out of a taxi. 

Now I come from Los Angeles.  Even there, our Walmarts are filled with women who believe a nice dinner eating out is a Big Mac.  The woman getting out of that taxi demonstrated all the reasons men like us seek women in Eastern Europe.  Simple.  Slender.  Beautiful.  Upon more careful examination, I see her smile.  Un-fricking-believable.  I am a face man.  If a woman’s body meets acceptable standards, I will always turn my attention to a woman’s face.  PB has a face that launched a thousand ships.  She has a perfect smile and bright, bright, blue eyes.   She was dressed in a pink and white blouse, hip hugging slacks and the signature stiletto heels.  Once I got past the immediate effect she had on me, I noticed that she had a Padarki in her hand.  Classy lady.

As with any first meet, lines of communication need to be established.  My Russian is ochen ploxha.  Her English is great if she is reading, but listening to me talk a mile a minute is something that she has never heard.  We had significant work in front of us.   Walking and establishing how much English she could understand was the order of the day.  We talked.  We listened.  I could make out the details of her life, but she often used words in Russian that I did not understand.  My favorite word was MMMMMEEEEEDDDDLEEEENNNNEEEEE. 

All the time, I’m talking to her I notice how fine her hair is -the way it blows with the smallest breeze.  I see the happiness in her eyes when she comprehends something complicated I said or when I pay her a compliment.  I note how tall she is without her heels.  All of these details play in my head as she tells me one story after the next.

I see a Bon Bons.  It is a pastry and ice cream joint.  My weakness in Russia is Marozhina.  (Ice cream.)  I suggest going in there and we agree.  She shares with me my gift.  It is a hard cover edition of Pushkin’s Evgenii Onegin with side-by-side Russian and English.  She could not have selected a more appropriate gift for me.  Pushkin is my favorite Russian writer and this is one of his books I have not read.   PB tells me that she had to read it for school but that she liked it.  Now my paltry Chocolates and Dodger Jersey that I brought seems much less thoughtful than her contribution.   

More later …..                                                                                         
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:45:22 PM by jone »

Offline BillyB

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 09:54:21 PM »

Thanks for sharing this near real time trip report. Although we're near and dear to your heart, make sure that gal gets adequate attention too!
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline jone

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 11:08:45 PM »
I don't mind flying on Aeroflot, never had a bad experience, besides from LA there is a non-stop flight to Moscow 11-12 hours with NO connections. Why didn't you use this Jone with your anxiety attacks? Sometimes if you book early flights are inexpensive. Only bad thing about flights are the amount of obnoxious people on board, more so on return flight. I will be taking this flight next month.

Good morning.  I have taken Aeroflot many times, sometimes directly from Los Angeles.  But they were over sold and the trip would have cost an additional $1600.00  Some of the money I saved, I used on upgrades.  Usually, when I take Aeroflot across the big pond, I upgrade to Business Class.  Better Borscht.

Offline jone

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 11:14:18 PM »
Quick notes not as part of the narrative:

PB and I were talking yesterday and I mentioned that I was writing a blog.  Of course, she had to read everything I had written to that point in time.  She questioned me about my anxiety attacks and amazed that I would still make the flight knowing of my troubles.  I explained to her that such troubles could be overcome and that I refused to have such issues cloud my decision making or my future.  I love to travel and if suffering short bouts of anxiety is the only issue then, bring it on.

She is on her way over to the hotel this morning and we will visit the open air fair that Chelyabinsk has in the summer time. 

Offline jone

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »
Here is the next blog entry.  Some details are repeated from the above post.  But my blog did not contain them so I included them in my thoughts.

Back atcha. 

When you fly halfway around the world for a first date, you should have your head examined.  Especially if that date is not backed up with a plan B.   And I have a history of needing my head examined.  I was totaling up in my mind the cash I had laid out for the trip, coupled with the missed opportunity for employment income.  The amount is no small potatoes.  But, hey, if I am gonna take a vacay, may as well be one that has a potential of changing my life.  We hadn’t talked that long on Skype.  I’ve actually only known this woman a couple of months.  Wait.  Not even that long.  I first shared info with this woman on the thirtieth of June.  Today makes one month since we first shared information.  Is there a doctor in the house?  My reasoning and justification is so out of whack they may lock me away.

And what about this woman in front of me?  What is she thinking?  She had sent me a text message prior to my arrival saying that my decision to visit her without delay and with such risk had won her heart.  My heart is still beating hard.  But beginnings are difficult times and without a translation service communication is tedious. 

PB tells me that she was in a car accident.   She tells me that she has scars on her body, but also scars that create in her a fear of driving. I think to myself that she will have to overcomes such fears if she were ever to live in Los Angeles which is a very car-oriented city.  I tell her about my ended relationship with the woman in her city.  While she already knew about it, filling in the details, I can see that she might think ‘been here, done that’.  What makes our relationship special?   

Leaving Bon Bons, I mention that I would like to share with her the gift(s) I brought her.  I have yet to mention the PB has a son.  He is seven.  This weekend, he is with his grandparents.  Okay, one more rule I break?  Never wear new shoes on a trip where you will be doing a lot of walking.   PB is in high heels (and looks gorgeous) and I am in new shoes which are pinching my toes.  Should have brought my older shoes that are broken in.  Because my feet hurt, we get a taxi back to the hotel.  We arrive at the hotel and I get the presents from the room and bring them down to the lobby.  She smiles and tells me they are wonderful.  I also bring a small, remote controlled helicopter for PB’s son.  She had told me that seeing him was off the table, but even if she delivers the helicopter, I know that he will enjoy it and it will make her happy. 

She asks me what I do when I’m not with her.  I tell her that I am writing a blog about my trip and sharing it with others, like me, who may be going overseas to meet a woman.  But in retrospect, I realize that, maybe, this blog would even be better for a woman, who is waiting for a man who is coming to visit her, understanding what he is going through to get to her and what his doubts are.

She immediately asks if she can read the blog.  I have not yet reached her description, so I agree.  I trot up to the room, change my shoes and put on more comfortable pants and take my computer for her to read the blog.  This is only the Word version and not what is posted and commented on the internet.  She asks many questions to me.  The biggest question is why I would get on a plane, knowing that I have anxiety about flying.

The hotel has a beer hall style restaurant and we decide to eat there tonight.  We sit down and she knows exactly what she wants.  Some greens with shrimp and then a dish made with yogurt and kvass. I order, what I think, is a fish medley.  But when it comes, the fish is all raw.  PB comments that it is a meal that typically is eaten with beer.  I don’t drink alcohol.  I choked down about half the plate and then send it home with the waiter.  It is only six thirty but jet lag is catching up with me and I am slowly falling asleep.  So far, so good, but I have watched PB talking all day and realize that I am mesmerized by her lips.   Before she leaves, I scoop in for a small kiss.  She is not sure how to react and slightly pulls away.  Did I make a mistake?  Instead she asks what time we will be together tomorrow and where will we go?  I suggest the open fair that Chelyabinsk has in the summer time.  She agrees and off she goes in the taxi. 

Day 1 completed.   As I fall asleep, I wonder if sharing the blog with PB was a mistake?  And I also wonder if her knowing there is a blog will restrict her actions?  What harm can it do?  I am only here for four days and maybe having open communication will allow her to understand me better?  I wonder.                                                 

Offline BillyB

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »
And I also wonder if her knowing there is a blog will restrict her actions?  What harm can it do?  I am only here for four days and maybe having open communication will allow her to understand me better?  I wonder.   

I don't think disclosing the blog can help you but it can hurt. She's learning who you are and she may be thinking you're the kiss and tell kind of guy and may put restrictions on what you can and can't do physically. By her acting differently, it will hurt your ability to read her. If the trip ends without one passionate kiss, you also may act differently and forgive her behavior due to her knowing of the blog.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline jone

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 07:40:04 PM »
I don't think disclosing the blog can help you but it can hurt. She's learning who you are and she may be thinking you're the kiss and tell kind of guy and may put restrictions on what you can and can't do physically. By her acting differently, it will hurt your ability to read her. If the trip ends without one passionate kiss, you also may act differently and forgive her behavior due to her knowing of the blog.

Who knows?  Billy may be right.  But the deed is done and we will have to see how it plays out.  But then, for all the forum knows, I may be sitting at my desk in California, making all this sh&t up.

Offline JayH

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 08:47:01 PM »
Jon--new shoes !! How slow a learner are you !! I walk further  ( & at 3 times the speed) on FSU trips in a day than I walk in a month at home !
 Getting  footwear comfortable is first priority and the second is passing the visually acceptable test!! :)

Not sure about blog -- could go either way  eg  as BB said the show & tell may not go down very well. My long term Ukrainian ex would have killed me if I did that -- and I resolved to only ever write publically  a long time retrospectively anything that concerned her.
Perhaps asking her about it would be appropriate?
On meeting son-- she will not want to introduce any confusion in child's life -- and not introducing prematurely is something I am very familiar with.
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 09:07:28 PM »
Jone,

Thanks for sharing your TR and your emotions / thoughts being all over the place is so typical of what must of experience

The blog thing ? .. Might be inspired - she's obviously a classy lady - given her gift to you.

I'd defo show her the part about the kiss ... 

Offline jone

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 09:53:18 PM »
Jone,

Thanks for sharing your TR and your emotions / thoughts being all over the place is so typical of what must of experience

The blog thing ? .. Might be inspired - she's obviously a classy lady - given her gift to you.

I'd defo show her the part about the kiss ...

I don't need to.  But that is another story.  You are on day one.  We are already done with day two, beginning day 3.

As to the shoes..... yeah, another rookie mistake.  Thought I had broken them in but, upon arrival, realized how little I had actually been walking in Kali.   Have my Reef sandals on and feel like the Kali boy I am.  And PB threw away her stilettos yesterday for sandals as well. 

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 10:23:35 PM »
...PB comments that it is a meal that typically is eaten with beer.  I don’t drink alcohol.

You don't drink alcohol?  Is this like a Russian woman saying in her profile that she doesn't drink alcohol, and then you find out that alcohol doesn't include wine or beer, or is it like me - that you truly never drink ANYTHING (except possibly some cough remedies) which includes alcohol?

I can't remember you ever writing this before - it would have been nice to know that there was someone else in this situation when I was posting on the topic (unless, of course, that was before you joined the forum).

Offline JayH

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2017, 11:00:55 PM »
You don't drink alcohol?  Is this like a Russian woman saying in her profile that she doesn't drink alcohol, and then you find out that alcohol doesn't include wine or beer, or is it like me - that you truly never drink ANYTHING (except possibly some cough remedies) which includes alcohol?

I can't remember you ever writing this before - it would have been nice to know that there was someone else in this situation when I was posting on the topic (unless, of course, that was before you joined the forum).

I am almost a non drinker !! I am often driving -- so drink zero in that circumstance  . I do drink a little wine with meals,cannot recall when I last drank a beer .
I have not been drunk in over 25 years--or even alcohol affected. The last occasion I was drunk was with  "Russians" on vodka-- and thought I was going to die the next day ! That result and various circumstances saw me turn to Perrier with a dash of lime !

I have found that most FSU women are very happy with me being close to a non drinker -- alcohol abuse is rife in the FSU and many have bad experiences as a result of that.

Something AJ said in another thread is relevant-- a girl with a decent background will look on excessive drinking as a red flag.
It is true that many girls profiles say they are a non drinker-- but what they mean is that they are not a drunkard!

As an aside -- some years ago --I sent a girl a photo --taken in my home with full range of spirits and wine in the background -- she then spent considerable time cross examining me as to why so much. Not sure she ever quite accepted it was there for guests !!

Offline jone

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2017, 11:33:18 PM »

My brother died form alcohol abuse.  He was my best friend.  I found him in his home.  I vowed, then, that alcohol would never be part of my life. 

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541321
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701