It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Male/female imbalance makes it hard for girls to find husbands  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Male/female imbalance makes it hard for girls to find husbands
« on: February 28, 2015, 09:35:35 AM »
Not in Russia. In Hong Kong:

It is not hard to understand why women look for love outside of Hong Kong, say marriage brokers and sociologists. Hong Kong is a tough marriage market for women because of the city’s skewed gender ratio — 876 males for every 1,000 females, a gap predicted to worsen to 712 to 1,000 by 2041.

“Men are in a short supply,” says Paul Yip, an expert on population policy at the University of Hong Kong. “And men always like to marry down, women always like to marry up . . . what we will see is an increasing number of women who remain single.”

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/39be5806-b685-11e4-a5f2-00144feab7de.html#axzz3T3UXy3Cv

At first glance many people would see this modestly sized male/female imbalance and think that it will just affect the small number of females who won't be able to find husbands. But it affects far more than just them. Here is why.

The economist Alex Tabarrok "asked why a relatively small change in the sex ratio (m:w) from 50:50 to say 40:60 should make such a big difference." Dr. Tabarrok finds the explanation from British economist Tim Harford:

Imagine, says Tim, a marriage supermarket.  In this supermarket any man and woman who pair up get $100 to split between them.  Suppose 20 men and 20 women show up at the supermarket, it's pretty clear that all the men and women will pair up and split the $100 gain about equally, $50,$50.  Now imagine that the sex ratio changes to 19 men and 20 women.  Surprisingly, a tiny change in the ratio has a big effect on the outcome.

Imagine that 19 men and women have paired up splitting the gains $50:$50 but leaving one woman with neither a spouse nor any gain.  Being rational this unmatched woman is unlikely to accede to being left with nothing and will instead muscle in on an existing pairing offering the man say a $60:$40 split.  The man being rational will accept but this still leaves one women unpaired and she will now counter-offer $70:$30.  And so it goes.

If you follow through on the logic it becomes clear that in the final equilibrium no married (paired) woman can be significantly better off than the unmarried woman (otherwise the unmarried woman would have an incentive to muscle in with a better deal) and so because the unmarried woman gets nothing the married women can't get much more nothing.  Thus when the sex ratio is 20:20 the split is $50:$50 and when the sex ratio is 19:20 the split is more like to $99:$1 in favor of the men.

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2010/02/revisiting-the-marriage-supermarket.html

Now I know what some of you are thinking. Finding one's soulmate isn't like visiting a marriage market. It's like walking on a beautiful beach at sunset, gazing at the incredible shades of orange and purple as the sun moves down to the horizon, when your eyes fall upon the person you immediately recognize as your soulmate, the person you are destined to spend the rest of your life with. Or something like that.

But for most people it doesn't quite work out like that.

This dynamic is a big reason that guys decided to search for a wife in FSU and FSUW decided to consider Western guys.

We see the phenomenon at work at some college campuses, where in recent years there are typically more girls than guys (where girls make up around 57% of the people enrolled):

Jayne Dallas, a senior studying advertising who was seated across the table, grumbled that the population of male undergraduates was even smaller when you looked at it as a dating pool. “Out of that 40 percent, there are maybe 20 percent that we would consider, and out of those 20, 10 have girlfriends, so all the girls are fighting over that other 10 percent,” she said...

[A college guy had a similar opinion] “Guys tend to overshoot themselves and find a really beautiful girlfriend they couldn’t date otherwise, but can, thanks to the ratio,” he said.

Mr. Ivey himself said that his own college relationship lasted three years. “She didn’t think she would meet another guy, I didn’t think I would meet another girl as attractive as her,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/fashion/07campus.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Anyway, to circle back to the original article, have you considered trying to fine a wife in East Asia?

Before I began my FSUW search I dated some Chinese girls in the US, but never really thought about searching in China. I really don't know why though. Perhaps it was because soon after I began my search in FSU I got hooked.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:38:40 AM by Larry1 »

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Male/female imbalance makes it hard for girls to find husbands
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 10:09:12 AM »
Before I began my FSUW search I dated some Chinese girls in the US, but never really thought about searching in China. I really don't know why though. Perhaps it was because soon after I began my search in FSU I got hooked.

I like Slavic women too. When pursing them, they are worth the extra step traveling to the other side of the globe.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Steamer

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »

It is not hard to understand why women look for love outside of Hong Kong, say marriage brokers and sociologists. Hong Kong is a tough marriage market for women because of the city’s skewed gender ratio — 876 males for every 1,000 females, a gap predicted to worsen to 712 to 1,000 by 2041.“Men are in a short supply,” says Paul Yip, an expert on population policy at the University of Hong Kong. “And men always like to marry down, women always like to marry up . . . what we will see is an increasing number of women who remain single.”

Perhaps in Hong Kong but not in mainland China. After decades of traditions that favored male children over female the ratio is quite the opposite. The females that remain have become very picky and the males have resorted to looking abroad.

This is from my daughter in-law and her family who immigrated to the US and return yearly.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:55:05 AM by Steamer »
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline Larry1

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 11:03:08 AM »

Perhaps in Hong Kong but not in mainland China. After decades of traditions that favored male children over female the ratio is quite the opposite. The females that remain have become very picky and the males have resorted to looking abroad.

This is from my daughter in-law and her family who immigrated to the US and return yearly.

Yes, China's one-child policy was crazy and generated results that should have been predicted by PRC senior leadership. But they were commies, so what can you expect?

Offline ML

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:25:31 AM »
"Thus when the sex ratio is 20:20 the split is $50:$50 and when the sex ratio is 19:20 the split is more like to $99:$1 in favor of the men."

No, this will not happen.

The example overlooks idea that there will be homosexuals in each group.  So who knows what the outcome will be when the match-ups start.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Larry1

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 11:28:14 AM »
The example overlooks idea that there will be homosexuals in each group.  So who knows what the outcome will be when the match-ups start.

It's a model created to illustrate Harford's principle. Thus it would be exclusively hetero.

Offline ML

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 11:30:51 AM »
"Before I began my FSUW search I dated some Chinese girls in the US, but never really thought about searching in China. I really don't know why though. "

Very, very big reasons.

We mostly recognize there are some cultural differences and different ways of thinking between WM and FSUW.

But this difference pales when compared to the cultural and thinking differences between WM and Oriental women.

Also there is the height thingy.

Vast majority of Oriental women are really too short to make a visually good combination with WM.  Sure you can go for it if you like the Mutt and Jeff look.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Larry1

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »
Also there is the height thingy.

Vast majority of Oriental women are really too short to make a visually good combination with WM.  Sure you can go for it if you like the Mutt and Jeff look.

I'm 6'1" (1.86 for the metric folks).  Although I've had a few short girlfriends, most have been tall. And FSU has a lot of tall, slender girls.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 02:49:12 AM »
I'm 6'1" (1.86 for the metric folks).  Although I've had a few short girlfriends, most have been tall. And FSU has a lot of tall, slender girls.

Believe it or not, China does too.  Although the average Chinese woman is slightly shorter than the average Western woman (maybe an inch or two), I saw many gorgeous, tall, slender women when I was in China (and in Thailand).  Stereotypes are just that - there are many short, not quite so slender, young women in the FSU as well.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540998
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1971
Total: 1981

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM