It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Sochi  (Read 22199 times)

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
More Sochi
« on: March 21, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »

Sochi's Moremall shopping centre - impressive

The dog knows the best places to rest and take in the scenery

Russia v Portugal Rugby

Yacht Club

Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: More Sochi
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:45:24 AM »
Nice photos. I like the pic of the mall, especially the three RW in the foreground.
Sveta has a beautiful golden suntan.

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:03:28 PM »
St. Patricks's night was celebrated on Saturday 21st here ;)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:25:15 PM by msmobyone »
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 03:09:17 AM »
Have you been to the 33 waterfalls yet?  That was one of the great memories of my trip - travelling in Army trucks over a dry riverbed to a spectacular set of cascades, followed by dinner and Russian dancing (and yes, ML, the lady swimming in the second photo IS wearing a top!).

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 10:58:08 PM »
Not been. The weather is not condusive to such fun. Too much grey and rain (((

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 11:30:57 PM »
Have you been to the 33 waterfalls yet?  That was one of the great memories of my trip - travelling in Army trucks over a dry riverbed to a spectacular set of cascades, followed by dinner and Russian dancing (and yes, ML, the lady swimming in the second photo IS wearing a top!).

Funny how that photo has been looked at twice as many times as the other two!  :ROFL:

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »
Yesterday, we were recovering from the festivities of Saturday.

We went for a long walk in Riveria Park and bought many fruits to make fresh juices.We encountered a VERY rude lady who objected to us waiting to enter a car park - the barrier stayed down as the ticket issuing machine had run out of paper. Sveta was at the wheel and after we had ignored her repeated sounding of the horn she came to Sveta's car to 'berate' her - rather loudly.

My Russian was  more than good enough to ask her if she had eyes - and pointed to the guy fixing the machine and suggested she might like to return to her car to reflect on her 'nekulturnaya' behaviour. She shouted at me and when I undid my seat belt and told her to STFU in English she was transfixed for a second and the growing crowd applauded me and she ran back to her car- much to the entrainment of the man trying to reload the ticket paper and other motorists.

Today went to the FMS - federal migration service - to arrange a private visit visa. It was 'interesting', but the invitation section was not busy.

I decided to give up on the idea -as  the process is long and can be invasive to the invitee.

I will arrange another double entry tourist visa and hopefully my biz visa will be arranged.

After, we had lunch in a simple Georgian style restaurant - overlooking the grey, Black Sea.

We ate, Hatchapuri - a sort of cheesy fried bread and Slashlik - grilled meat on a stick - very succulent - with a salad.

After we went to Stalin's Villa. The tour lady there clearly adored Stalin - who I regard rather differently.

Stalin's Dining Table

The after dinner view to the sea

Another balcony view - over the garden

Me telling Stalin what I thought of him

giving orders

Russian Billiards

After, a 5 mile drive to the top of a mountain -- overlooking Sochi and a 'folly' which would have had great views of the sea and Sochi - if there wasn't low cloud

Towards the Black Sea

Then back home for Sveta's juice blend of carrots, celery, pomegranate, spices, oranges, grapefruit, apple and ginger ..KNOCKOUT  ;)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:28:51 AM by msmobyone »

Offline pokerintherear

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 08:01:23 AM »
I must ask a question

Moby does the dog go on all dates with you?

Me personally, this would drive me nuts. Most likely a deal breaker. You must cope well with the situation.

Hats off

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »
Great pics. Enjoying the TR. Thanks :clapping:
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:19:41 AM »
Fast approaching the end of our time together  :(

The weather  was great before I came and will be beach weather, again - the day I leave. Has it mattered ? Not a jot. I can't wait until my next visit.

Today, we will go to the Olympic Park - as it will not rain and I want to try to see the Formula 1 racing circuit - the venue for the World Cup Football (Soccer) and the stadium events of the Winter Olympics - on a cycle.

There are many observations I wish to make, but I'll reserve them but when I have caught up on sleep.

Svietik.Coral has even allowed me to take over her kitchen and cook. I like cooking and last night we ate Georgian style - I adore the food from Armenia/ Georgia - The Levant - in general. Until I lived in Cyprus, I had NO idea about women from the former USSR - other than that they might be large with airy arm-pits and drink Vodka ))

the result .

She doesn't drink alcohol much and NO meat - she happily eats raw carrots / cabbages and a multitude of other vegetables and fruit and little bread.  Her dog is tiny and I relied on his 'support' when eating meat  :)

Her friends and neighbours have been great and kept arriving with gifts of home made food to try - after my experience with the 'night before' Police Breath Test' we have had the perfect excuse to offer others drink, but we stuck to mineral water and home made fresh juice. It didn't spoil the atmosphere  :chuckle:

I didn't like honey, before - but Black Honey - I do not - not as sweet - as a nutty, smoked flavour. I have had a had cold for two days - not debilitating - and S.C's friends started arriving with numerous  'home remedies' to cure my minor affliction.

Russians tend to be very guarded people when it comes to other nations and when it comes to driving - very much - only think about themselves, but when you enter the home of people from the former USSR - you are an honoured guest and laugher flows... this could be my terrible Russian :chuckle:

I am not a fan of small dogs, but Svietiks Russian Toy Terrier- who goes everywhere - where permitted - with her has become a firm friend. Video later..

Normally, I would say sharing a bed with another man was not for me, but he weighs less than most cats and has provided hours of entertainment as he chases pigeons, plays with his squeaky toy.

Sochi is a bizarre place. It has had a lot of money spent on it by the state - anxious to portray a resurgent Russia and it has been a loved region and holiday home to most of the Soviet leaders and now Putin - who has a residence in the northern suburbs of Sochi and a huge place 250 km to the north - near the resort of Gelendzhik - also on the Black Sea.

I think he hoped that this would promote tourism in Russia and if you see how the money has been spent - it is staggering. I cannot see how it can ever survive at the high level of state support it must need, without tourism from other nations. During the peak season  / new year - the mountain resorts were full. But during mid March I met one other tourist  - snow boarding - from the UK.

It's rather sad and if Yanu' hadn't been removed -until elections had been held and the Kremlin hadn't used this excuse to 'correct' the result of Khrushchev's gift to Ukraine in '54, this region might have been a bigger magnet.

For now, it is a secret paradise for folk from the west.

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 12:22:26 AM »
I must ask a question

Me personally, this would drive me nuts. Most likely a deal breaker. You must cope well with the situation.

Hats off

poker

The Dog is part of the package..the family .. and I adore him ...and his 'Mum'...I will miss the little fella ..nearly as much  ;)

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 01:09:55 AM »

Today started off with some admin

followed by a trip to the bank to pay some bills at a terminal and then we bought some pre-mixed dough for me to make some Khatchapuri - a sort of Georgian cheese bread.

Then we parked the car in a place - paid parking - as I now have an aversion to on street parking

outdoor theatre

The main promenade and Aqua Park  is to the left and the Port to the right ..can you translate the restaurant name ?

Sochi life ..

the outdoor theatre - as viewed from the beach

walking to the port..

photos from the Port

the shops for the yachtsmen's wives, girlfriends or mistresses  - or all ?

the sun.. at last ..

Coast guard and Customs section

the moment of the cast ..

Map of port and river mouth

street chaos..Sochi style...Note how many cars are white ..

looking east up the river to the city centre

From the same spot looking west to the Black Sea and the ferry port to Turkey.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:12:19 AM by msmobyone »

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 01:16:47 AM »

Shopping in Russia takes me back to my childhood - you could find little businesses that would fix shoes, little convenience shops and people with skills to recycle mechanical items that we would throw out.

I adore the markets and buying fresh produce - trying things before you buy. Prices now are fantastic with the rouble being two times weaker.

You can see the prices in roubles, here:

Clothes are may be MORE expensive than the UK - which always compares favourably with mainland Europe.

This is supposed to be a Chloe - but it was a fake and was sent back, pronto. In Europe such claims would result in the seller having their stock impounded. Russia doesn't seem too bothered abound copyright, still.

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 01:19:55 AM »

The Stadium based Winter Olympics were in Adler - a part of 'bolshoi'- greater Sochi - 20 minutes down a motorway / highway and only 1 km from the 'border' with 'Abkhazia' - the disputed breakaway 'republic' from Georgia.

I cycled around the park - at 150 roubles an hour and got to see the Torch, the F1 circuit, fun fair, and the stadiums .

Venue for SOME of the  the 2018 Soccer World Cup

Formula 1 Racing Circuit

Quite an advert for the region

After all the cycling we had lunch overlooking the Black Sea in Sochi and headed to S.C's dressmaker to see S.C's creations  'tested' - on her, of course...

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 01:25:16 AM »

I like bright clothes..   I have salmon pink Brogues  :laugh: Luckily, SC is a bit of an exhibitionist, too when it comes to style !

I bought both of the 'crazy shoes'  in TKMAXX Manchester  - http://www.tkmaxx.com/page/home they were dirt cheap - probably as they couldn't give 'em away in Manchester  :chuckle:. I regularly get stopped by WOMEN to ask where I bought them.

This brings me to the subject of clothes in Russia..  It has many of the same chain stores found in W.Europe, but despite the crash of the Rouble they are not 'good value' .. I have found that Poland, Ukraine and Russia are often much more expensive than the UK for the same item.

As SC is into making dresses we researched some on line clothes firms :

Miza Sezar    http://mira-sezar.ru

The dresses look great on the models - we ordered a yellow cocktail dress for 1500 - approx 25USD - back in mid Jan....a VERY large 'small' dress arrived. Crap quality.. We paid 1800 Roubles via RBK banks 'wallet' system - ising a credit card-  over 3 months ago  - including delivery - and STILL await a refund. Every time, they ask for more info to return monies... AVOID

z.95    http://z.95.ru

Much more professional - initially - as soon as you order they call you to confirm the order - you pay the courier - in cash on delivery.

Their prices were higher - as they appeared to be an outlet for haute couture desigher clothes

Remember this dress ?

you should:

It was advertised as a 'Chloe' design - we rejected the lot - as they were clearly 'rip offs' and I note these claims - and the prices have tumbled.  We paid the courier for for 'designer dresses' and

1/ received a call the next day to say we had only paid 25 percent of the dresses - the courier had tried to go without a signature and I called him back and had quietly took an image of his signature  :nod:  This was a 'mistake'.

2/ we rejected the lot - based on the counterfeit status and material not being as advertised.

In both cases we await a refund - having sent the goods via EMS tracked courier - such experiences do not bode well for the quality of RU internet shopping  :scared0005:

3/ La Moda http://www.lamoda.ru/

allow the client to wear the clothes while the courier waits, then pay - even with card - you pay 500 roubles for each extra item you order of the same size. If none fit - you pay nothing. Not cheap - but professional

4/ Yoox.com   http://www.yoox.com - recommended by the owner of another site dealing with the challenges of meeting / marrying former USSR ladies.

Offer a wide range of shoes / clothes on line across many countries in the world

SC ordered from the RU version of the site and then changed her mind  - delivery time - before the goods were shipped - the card hadn't been charged as the goods hadn't shipped

I ordered the same goods from them to be delivered to the UK and paid for next day - no issues with customs - as they come from Italy. YOOX sent the wrong shoes  :(   As I had seen the order - but not realised it was a  slightly different style I agreed to send back the first pair  - pre-paid UPS shipping label enclosed - and ordered a Saturday delivery as I was flying out to Istambul early Mon am.

I awoke on the Sat am to find UPS' tracking site announcing my postcode was not a Sat delivery zone and it had been rescheduled for Monday.. >:(

Yoox don't work on Saturday - you can't call them - and UPS' customer support was useless - I wanted the tel no. of the depot to collect on the Sunday night - refused - I asked to speak to a manger -   they promised a call back - which came on Monday - while I was checking in ... 'well done' UPS..

I drove to the local depot using Google's sat nav app and it sent me on a route that took me into a buses/ taxi's only zone... I realised too late and returned to a 60 GBP fine - 'reduced' to 30GBP if paid promptly. By now these shoes were becoming expensive  :GRRRR:

At the depot the human face of UPS was helpful and the guy roared with laughter when I showed him my tracking info - showing the shoes had arrived 6 hours previously at an airport 150 miles away. ''They are out for delivery mate'', so I was able to speak to the driver and was back home to meet him... 'well done' UPS for the 'accuracy' of your tracking info..

SC  was so pleased to get the shoes, but they were too big  :laugh: ... these are the shoes we paid 600 roubles to have modified and appear in the photos above..

I rang yoox and asked them if they had received the wrong shoes and they confirmed they had had them 7 days - but awaited 'inspection' and that I should be refunded this week...

It is now clear to me that internet shopping firms do not rush to refund and make money on the interest.

I like the business model where you only pay for what you buy and the courier waits - if you are in Moscow or Piter - you might even get the dresses within 24 hours. Sochi and most other cities take 5 days.

SC wants me to bring some decent silk on my next trip and will design an evening dress. - I think the results are far more interesting...

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 05:01:33 AM »
Ripping stuff Moby. I hope all your dreams come true.  :)

I must ask a question

Hats off

I would take every opportunity available to remind it that I have yet to eat dog, but it’s on my ‘to do’ list.  8)

Offline Noch1

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 05:34:37 AM »
Ripping stuff Moby. I hope all your dreams come true.  :)

I would take every opportunity available to remind it that I have yet to eat dog, but it’s on my ‘to do’ list.  8)
Its not even a real dog, that would be more like an appetizer :)
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 06:11:54 AM »
THANKS, Vinnvinny  ;D

As for my new little - very little -  friend. I miss him and his one man attempts to clear the sea promenades of pigeons and seagulls.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:19:07 AM by msmobyone »

Offline msmobyone

Re: More Sochi - to the end of Russia
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 01:34:21 AM »
This is a video of the bike ride we took south from the Winter Olympic Stadium in Adler, Sochi to the border with 'Abkhazia'

We hired the bikes - approx USD 2.50 / hour - and that gave us time to cycle 8 km there and back and I zoomed around the stadiums and Formula 1 circuit perimeter.

Svietik.Coral can be heard laughing a lot and her friend - Natasha - from Minsk, in Belarus - accompanies us in our race.

I cycled most of the journey single handed, with my mobile phone filming - so the video is jerky - despite Youtube's best efforts.

Please excuse my Russian accent and construction of verbs - incorrect person - I was multi-tasking and I'm poor at  that  :nod:

The mountains at the end are spectacular.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:00:22 AM by msmobyone »

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 07:02:31 AM »
If you are still in Sochi try and grab a snapshot of Putin's dacha for me. Might need a wide angle lens ?

Offline Gator

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 09:50:39 AM »
Moby One,

T/Rs with more photos than words are refreshing and quick to read.  Thanks.

Fine looking woman in your life.

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 10:58:13 AM »
If you are still in Sochi try and grab a snapshot of Putin's dacha for me. Might need a wide angle lens ?

Next time..  will sail and take some ;)

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 11:01:44 AM »
Moby One,

T/Rs with more photos than words are refreshing and quick to read.  Thanks.

Fine looking woman in your life.

Thanks, Gator  :thumbsup:

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 03:21:57 AM »
from the outside of the Olympic Park - looking in ..

www.dropbox.com/s/4qv9r2t9kadt80p/2015-03-25%2012.47.00.mp4?dl=0

It's a vid

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:01 AM »
Moby, excellent trip report

Udachi!

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541282
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701