It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My Russian friend seeks asylum in USA  (Read 6533 times)

Offline ProfessorJeep

My Russian friend seeks asylum in USA
« on: September 29, 2022, 10:24:14 AM »
Background: the Biden administration just announced that they welcome Russian asylum seekers who are fleeing the military mobilization.

Current: My Russian ex is a doctor who is next in line to be called up to the front. She’s had doctor friends die already when they were mobilized. The announcement she shared with me shows that any time doctor with military experience, surgical training, or a few other criteria will be mobilized.

She wants to GTFO. I’m doing my best to help.

Question/situation: What resources or free legal aid would best assist her?

What I know of asylum goes like this: she needs to percent herself at the southern border with her young daughter and say that she has a credible fear of persecution in her home country if deported.

She can’t apply for asylum remotely; it has to happen in the United States or at a port of entry.

She can only do it at the Mexican border, because if she goes to Canada first, Canada and United States have an agreement that she should seek asylum in Canada instead.

It appears that the “remain in Mexico“ policy has been recently lifted, so I don’t know how long she and her daughter would have to stay in Mexico before entering the US and waiting for her asylum hearing.

What else can you add/alter about this understanding?

Does anyone have suggested resources, free legal aid, an immigration lawyer that cost money but is great, or a better idea?

Thanks and advance!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:30:45 AM by ProfessorJeep »

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: My Russian friend seeks asylum in USA
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 12:31:42 PM »
Maybe something similar...

Offline ProfessorJeep

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 02:34:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Yeah, that whole waiting at the border thing is what worries me. Not always a safe place.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 11:36:38 AM »
Current: My Russian ex is a doctor who is next in line to be called up to the front.

She is not a war protester nor a supporter of Ukraine.
She is only wanting to protect her ass now.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ProfessorJeep

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 08:30:57 AM »

Offline ML

Letting Russians into USA
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 08:45:25 AM »
America and I are happy to protect her ass. 🇺🇸
http://www.reuters.com/world/us/white-house-us-welcomes-russians-seeking-asylum-2022-09-27/

The USA and other western countries should make a clear distinction between:

A) those Russians who got out of Russia within a couple of weeks of the February invasion.

B) those Russians who are now getting out of Russia, not because they oppose the invasion of Ukraine, but because they fear having to fight against Ukrainians.

Screen into the west those in group A.

For those in group B . . . tough shit.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ProfessorJeep

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 10:49:49 AM »
It’s clear that you have strong feelings here, ML. I myself have strong feelings about the unjust invasion of Ukraine.

I’m not interested in a debate. I’m only looking for information that could help my friend, and you don’t have any. Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

Have a nice day.

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 01:01:13 PM »
Over the years, I’ve been a visa sponsor for many FSU citizens
K-1 for my wife and another two K-1 visas for Russian sons-in-law who and are married to my daughters

one of whom is now living in the USA and second will be as well in a few more months

so my Russian crew has only gotten bigger and badder

in addition, I sponsored a work visa for a Russian citizen, who came to the USA under a tourist visa
but then applied for asylum due to religious persecution AND WON, and is now a US citizen
he worked for me for a number of years

I have also applied for Russian tourist visas for female relatives and employees, and can show you samples of winning cover letters to write to the US embassy to get a tourist visa issued to a Russian woman…

you could easily go to El Paso and go meet her on the Mexican side and then cross the border with her to the USA...

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 11:41:48 AM »
 You might want to be wary of Russian citizens wishing to relocate to the west. Potentially they could be Russian agents planning terrorist attacks.

But Russian soldiers were roaming Europe carrying out murders and sabotage attacks well before 2022. Chemical or biological attacks, or resuming Moscow’s long-term practice of sponsoring violent terrorists to wreak havoc in the west, are all still options for a leadership in Moscow that has abandoned all restraint along with any aspiration to salvage its relationship with Europe.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/05/ukrainian-advances-russia-vladimir-putin

Since the United States is the primary supplier of high-tech weaponry to Ukrainian forces, it seems plausible that Putin could attempt to target U.S. embassies in Europe, carry out cyberattacks against U.S. government networks or, in the most drastic scenario, execute an attack on U.S. soil. Moscow could also step up efforts to promote disinformation among U.S. populations, meddle in the November midterms and continue to amplify divisive issues — race relations, abortion, vaccines — that could result in violent extremism.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2022-10-02/russian-military-defeats-ukraine-terrorist-attack-west
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline Lily

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 05:03:06 PM »
I wish I could advise the OP on a more substantial basis.

However, the best I could recommend is to read on the asylum grounds, build your case, look for local articles / websites describing facts which are basis of her persecution, have proofs such as letters / emails from friends who could witness her well grounded fears of persecution in her home country. No lawyer will build your case for you. Only you have to do it, to save your butt.

You should know your case to a tee, better than any lawyer who you retain.

Good luck and courage. Your friend needs it.
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 05:41:15 PM »
You know guys there is a far easier way through all of this for her. She just crosses the Mexican border as an "undocumented immigrant" i.e illegal at the usual unspecified crossing points then just keeps her head down once in the good ol' US of A.

All Jeep has to do is to keep her locked up ahem.. I mean hidden in his basement, garage, etc and no one will know she is there. In a country the size of the US and with so many other illegals one more will be like a needle in an enormous haystack. I mean why bother with all the hassle of the legal channels with all the ordeal it entails when the easy answer is staring you in the face. There's no doubt no assurances she would get legal asylum anyway. Jeep just has to keep her basement, garage, housebound till the conflict is over then all's good ;)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline BC

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 10:53:01 PM »

You should know your case to a tee, better than any lawyer who you retain.

Great advice Lily.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2022, 12:42:26 PM »
Another place that might be helpful is VisaJourney.   I had not been on their forum and site for a decade and a half but on a quick look it seems to be still fairly active and was a great asset when I needed help way back. 

Offline ML

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2022, 04:52:54 PM »
Turbo, rumors were that you had passed away.

Good to see those were not true !!

Online krimster2

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2022, 07:26:47 PM »
just marry an American and file for either a K1 or K2 visa
meanwhile you can claim asylum at any border entry to the USA
biggest hurdle to leaving will be the Russian government blocking exits (especially if you're a yong male!)

go to an FSU state like Kazakhstan to visit family, etc
then go to Mexico, Russians can get a 180 day visa to Mexico
then head North and cross the border at a place called "El Paso"

I have two young Russian guys who are military age stayin with me for the holidays!
they went from Russia to Israel to USA...
Snovum Godum Tovarische!

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2022, 07:37:47 PM »
Turbo, rumors were that you had passed away.

Good to see those were not true !!
Never trust rumors.  I am still upright.  Nice to see you and everyone.  It's been a while. 

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1873
Total: 1884

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM