It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Ukraine Travel Warning Dec. 14 2016  (Read 17770 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Ukraine Travel Warning Dec. 14 2016
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2018, 01:06:56 PM »
Also, even if the police are "lightweight", refuse them once and they will come back in greater numbers.

Depends if they can find you again.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Nightwish

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2018, 01:14:12 PM »
I must say, what a freaking pissing contest this has become.. e-penis contest...

How many of you yankees would even think about getting in a fight with one of your own cops in US, none I would believe for one simple reason, police there - as in Ukraine - carry guns and sticks and aint afraid to use them if needed.
Sure stand up to them if they try and shake you down, but get physical, and you loose..almost guaranteed each and every time.. with any luck, you maybe get out alive.

Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2018, 01:16:35 PM »
Yes, very small numbers Boe. Like a SWAT team here. They don't stand on the street corners to shakedown tourists.

Point taken, however, I still think you are underestimating their training.

ETA - Here is an article I found from the 2015 agreement (there were previous agreements with Canadian forces, dating back to the 1990's) -

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/analysis/bringing-new-policing-to-ukraine-416298734.html

Depends if they can find you again.
It's Ukraine and you're a foreigner.  Of course they can find you. 

Your lack of knowledge of how Ukrainian society works is appalling.  You are completely oblivious to what you don't know.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 01:20:57 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »
Think odds are the dodgy police officers will target the most easiest prey, now no offense to US forum members but think of your archetypal loud mouthed, stick out like a sore thumb, unaware of his surroundings fat American guy. The odds of a guy like that turning out to be a martial arts genis are pretty remote, anyone else, who knows.

When I was on Odessa last year two police officers passed me, they were both pretty young, say late teens/early twenties. Neither looked particularly strong or tough. One seemingly gave a slight motion to the other towards me as I walked along the pavement. The other motioned back to him very dismissively. I perceived this as potentially them scouting around for prey. The second I think more experienced than the first at spotting the targets to go for. They were both of the 12-13 stone range and slightly shorter than me, me about 14 stone and not much fat.

That said I also noticed some hugely built guys sat around drinking outside many of the bars/restaurants in Odessa city centre. With these guys if not able to avoid then would be better to let mouth do the talking than directly getting into one.

Last time I was in Kiev I used my card more than anything and kept my money low. At the moment I'm investing in a good concealed money belt, idea being I will try to keep all notes out of wad and just have cards to be on the safe side. I can always get more notes out of cash machines as and when I need them. The idea of anyone taking my cash just  gauls me.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2018, 01:30:49 PM »
It's Ukraine and you're a foreigner.  Of course they can find you. 

Your lack of knowledge of how Ukrainian society works is appalling.  You are completely oblivious to what you don't know.

So in a city the size of Odessa which in the summer will have loads of foreigners they are going to find you, lol.

Unless you hang out in the touristy areas I think not, not immediately anyway. I'm guessing there will be enough time to go back to hotel, etc, pack and get the hell out of dodge by taxi to another city. Or just jeep your head down in hotel for a good number of day, change clothes and grow or shave a beard.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2018, 01:34:26 PM »

Think odds are the dodgy police officers will target the most easiest prey, now no offense to US forum members but think of your archetypal loud mouthed, stick out like a sore thumb, unaware of his surroundings fat American guy. The odds of a guy like that turning out to be a martial arts genis are pretty remote, anyone else, who knows.

Despite the conversation so far, which has all been about hypotheticals, Ukrainian police are not shaking down anyone these days, for the most part.  That is part of the anti corruption drive.  They were dismissive of you as, in their eyes, yet another "Western loser" coming to sleep with Ukrainian tarts.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2018, 01:38:35 PM »
So in a city the size of Odessa which in the summer will have loads of foreigners they are going to find you, lol.

Unless you hang out in the touristy areas I think not, not immediately anyway. I'm guessing there will be enough time to go back to hotel, etc, pack and get the hell out of dodge by taxi to another city. Or just jeep your head down in hotel for a good number of day, change clothes and grow or shave a beard.

Yes, they will find you.  You stick out like a sore thumb wherever you go.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2018, 01:46:09 PM »
I also have to ask, why are you traveling to a country where you have such an obvious lack of respect for the locals?

Offline Boethius

« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2018, 02:01:58 PM »
I must say, what a freaking pissing contest this has become.. e-penis contest...

How many of you yankees would even think about getting in a fight with one of your own cops in US, none I would believe for one simple reason, police there - as in Ukraine - carry guns and sticks and aint afraid to use them if needed.
Sure stand up to them if they try and shake you down, but get physical, and you loose..almost guaranteed each and every time.. with any luck, you maybe get out alive.

Very true.  The better half just got home, and I told him about this thread.  His first question was, "And you're hanging out with these idiots?"  Then, he reminded me, that assaulting a police officer is a criminal code offense, with a range of sentences.  He then said, "Believe me, you don't want to be a foreigner in a Ukrainian jail."

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »
it would be WAY tough for a foreigner in a Ukrainian prison unless you were connected or paid for protection
your status would be on the pedophile level, you would have to partner with them for protection
real fun group to hang out with...
8 to a cell sleeping on a concrete floor
your sleeping spot will be the one next
to the hole in the floor toilet
remember to face away from it when you sleep
so as not to be splattered...

Offline Boethius

« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »
Pedophiles don't last in Ukrainian prisons.  They are usually killed within a month.

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2018, 02:24:24 PM »
imagine how tough the ones who survive are...
then imagine in a large metropolitan city in Russia or Ukraine
what percentage of the population has been to prison
and what that would do to someone when they got out
so how many of these people are just walking around you every day?

Offline Boethius

« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2018, 02:29:16 PM »
Keep in mind that not everyone in prison in Ukraine is there for crime.  Even after the collapse. men were jailed for political reasons, though usually on fabricated criminal charges, as there are no longer any political crimes in the criminal code.

Offline alex330

« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2018, 02:42:24 PM »
Sure stand up to them if they try and shake you down

Think this was the initial argument. Nobody is looking to rumble with officers in a foreign country, but don't hand over your wallet to a couple skinny cops trying to shake you down.

But it's funny that so many think Ukraine is so scary. It's not as bad as many make it out to be.

And like Boe and Trench say below -

Ukrainian police are not shaking down anyone these days, for the most part. 

Think odds are the dodgy police officers will target the most easiest prey

When I was on Odessa last year two police officers passed me, they were both pretty young, say late teens/early twenties. Neither looked particularly strong or tough. One seemingly gave a slight motion to the other towards me as I walked along the pavement. The other motioned back to him very dismissively. I perceived this as potentially them scouting around for prey.

That said I also noticed some hugely built guys sat around drinking outside many of the bars/restaurants in Odessa city centre. With these guys if not able to avoid then would be better to let mouth do the talking than directly getting into one.

Offline alex330

« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2018, 02:49:41 PM »
How many of you yankees would even think about getting in a fight with one of your own cops in US,

Think Trench is a Brit.

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »

Nightwish arguments between citizens and police happen all the time in the US. Just look at youtube and social media. There are literally hundreds of examples available.

I live in NYC and have witnessed arguments between citizens and NYPD's finest. Even though it is perfectly legal to video American cops while they are working the NYPD frequently tries to prohibit videoing of arrests and police work. Citizens continue videoing even when threatened with arrest. Citizens are often arrested because they refuse to stop filming. In the overwhelming majority of arrests they are released within hours and no charges are filed. Of course nothing happens to the NYPD officers unless they assault the citizens. These police-citizen interactions are common in NYC and other large US cities. 

It is important to remember there are legitimate reasons to question a cop's questions and/or actions even in the US.

Offline alex330

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2018, 03:39:14 PM »

The prisons in Ukraine are not as bad as some here say either. We have relatives that have served time in Ukraine. Yea, it sucks and conditions are poor but better to be locked up in Ukraine than here in Florida or Latin America.
No rapes I am told, not as much violence between races like we have here. You can bring them clothes, food, chai, etc.

I have also done some charity work with Penal Colony number 74 in Odesa on Lystfdorskaya. It's not so bad.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »
I think it depends very much on where you're held and the charges.  There have been a lot of human rights investigations on Ukrainian prisons.

Here is one article, from last year -

http://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/ukraines-repressive-corrupt-prisons-struggle-unreformed.html

Offline Boethius

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2018, 04:15:08 PM »
Nightwish arguments between citizens and police happen all the time in the US. Just look at youtube and social media. There are literally hundreds of examples available.

I live in NYC and have witnessed arguments between citizens and NYPD's finest. Even though it is perfectly legal to video American cops while they are working the NYPD frequently tries to prohibit videoing of arrests and police work. Citizens continue videoing even when threatened with arrest. Citizens are often arrested because they refuse to stop filming. In the overwhelming majority of arrests they are released within hours and no charges are filed. Of course nothing happens to the NYPD officers unless they assault the citizens. These police-citizen interactions are common in NYC and other large US cities. 

It is important to remember there are legitimate reasons to question a cop's questions and/or actions even in the US.

I believe Nightwish meant physically assaulting an officer, as that’s what Trench said. Most Americans who assaulted an officer would be charged.

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2018, 06:26:03 PM »
I believe Nightwish meant physically assaulting an officer, as that’s what Trench said. Most Americans who assaulted an officer would be charged.

Even if we're talking about physically assaulting an American police officer there are still numerous instances where citizens escape arrest. For instance many of the demonstrations where BLM and antifa protest and there are many such demonstrations, result in few arrests.

Either because the demonstrators are masked and escape back into the crowds making ID impossible or because the assault resulted in no harm and it was difficult to ID and/or apprehend the suspected assailant.

It's true that if there's a couple of cops standing around and someone assaults one cop that person is going to be arrested however when it comes to large protests the rules change. The police simply can't go charging into a hostile crowd to arrest someone who sucker punched a cop. The police would cause far more problems than that one arrest would warrant.

Boethius, I believe you're Canadian? Policing and law enforcement can be different between our two countries. A fellow lawyer working for the Brooklyn DA tells me that her office would be overwhelmed if they charged everyone who casually assaulted a member of the NYPD when there are large demonstrations in NYC. Demonstrators for large organizations such as BLM, antifa and others know this. They literally put on workshops on how to avoid arrest during the protests.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2018, 09:14:22 PM »

The first beating in public view usually isn't the worst beating one will get for fighting cops in most countries. For some people they'll get tortured in jail everyday. Steak and lobster is definately off the menu while sitting jail. It's possible all food will be off the menu.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2018, 10:27:16 AM »
I also have to ask, why are you traveling to a country where you have such an obvious lack of respect for the locals?

Urm, for the Ukrainian tarts :D

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2018, 08:04:11 AM »
Jay-Z

here is your Ukraine!
between a rock and a hard place
how much longer will it last

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three and a half years ago, Ukrainians rose against corruption. This year, Ernst and Young’s Corruption Perception rating found that Ukraine was the most corrupt of 41 corrupt countries. Russia was sixteenth. Eighty-eight percent of Ukrainians believed that corruption was widespread in their county.

The foreign professionals, a motley crew of reformers who were invited to help fix the Ukrainian economy—named variags after ancient Vikings—have mostly left. 

Chicago-born Natalie Jaresko, the finance minister of Ukraine who was invited to come from the U.S. to fix the Ukrainian economy, decided not to wait for the results of the reforms she enacted. She is now back in America and is executive director of a U.S. federal control board overseeing Puerto Rico’s finances, with a comfortable annual salary of $625,000.

Mikheil Saakashvili, the variag from the former Soviet republic of Georgia, gave his diagnosis: “Ukraine would need another 20 years of toil to rise economically to the level of the pre-Maidan years.” Poroshenko fired the former president of Georgia from his position as governor of the Odessa region.

Ukrainian reformers, like post-Maidan Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk, have also resigned. In an interview in March, he estimated his net worth at “more or less $1 million.” Most believe it is on the “more” side; some even estimate a billion U.S. dollars.

Head of the Ukrainian National Bank, Valeria Gontareva, having declared $2 million in income in 2016, resigned from her post in May. The list goes on.

In May, Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman said he was prepared to resign if his ambitious retirement reform bill did not pass Parliament. The reform bill would increase monthly retirement payouts to 12 million Ukrainians from $51 to $60, or even $70. Before Maidan, payouts were $190.

The average monthly salary in Ukraine is about $230. Before Maidan, it was $410.

This year, real estate analysts predict that the value of apartments in Kiev will sink another 10 percent—on top of 2016’s 25 percent drop. A one-bedroom apartment in Kiev can be bought for $15,000. Real estate prices have sunken to 1990s-levels, Ukrainian portal Vesti reported.

Free medicine, which is guaranteed by Article 49 of the Ukrainian Constitution, no longer exists.

In the meantime, Ukraine’s national debt is rising. In 2016, it grew 8.3 percent. The Ministry of Finance reported that it is now more than $74 billion—67 percent of country’s GDP.

Poroshenko says that visa-free travel to Europe, which allows Ukrainian tourists to stay in EU countries for 90 days with no rights to employment, is what the Maidan was all about. This was what they were fighting for on Kiev’s streets in 2014.

According to UN data, almost 60 percent of Ukrainians live below the poverty line. In 2015, 28.6 percent did. Only five to 10 percent of Ukrainians meet the financial standards necessary to enjoy the newly acquired freedom to travel to EU. Thirty-four percent of Ukrainians want to leave their country. The highest share of potential emigrants (55 percent) are people younger than 30 years-old.

those who love Ukraine can only weep over what's coming next..
but let's tell it the way it is...

Italy's debt to GDP is 132 percent

Greece's debt to GDP is 181 percent

UK debt to GDP is 83 percent

2016 figures.

I think Ukraine's economy is bad but still not near critical. Unemployment in Ukraine is currently around 9.9 percent, inflation is still taking its toll most I think at around 16 percent so causing much hardship for Ukrainians with prices of goods in shops vastly inflated out of many of their price range.

In the UK we had not too dissimilar bad economic figures many decades ago but we are not too bad off these days. I think though with Ukraine some of the unemployment figures could be worse than they potentially are since many Ukrainians seek illegal employment in the likes of Poland. That may steadily start to change in the coming years gradually over time when the UK leave the EU. With the end of East European EU countries right to work in the UK, many from Poland, many will return home/not be able to go to the UK anymore to work. Hence the knock on affect could be that Ukrainians are no longer needed for the workforce in Poland and other former eastern bloc countries. So there could be a tightening up along the border there.

Of course some Polish will remain in the UK and some will find work in other EU countries such as France & Germany, etc (and this may have a telling affect on the native populace there), but I think in general more Polish will stay in Poland. The government there will no doubt respond more firmly to concern then over illegal migrant workforce.

Interesting that Poroshenko doesn't hold out much hope for any membership of the EU instead contenting himself with visa free travel. Sounds like he may be trying to steer the country towards a neutral situation between the EU & Russia to try and end the conflict.

So unemployment could well increase in Ukraine in future years perhaps, so more misery for Ukrainian people and perhaps more motivation for Ukrainian women to seek husbands abroad in more stable countries.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2018, 12:49:36 PM »
Italy GDP per capita -      $30,507 2017
Greece GDP per capita  - $18,637 2017
Ukraine GDP per capita - $  2,905 2017

Ukraine's unofficial unemployment is likely double your number, and millions of Ukrainians work abroad.

Yeah, their situations are really comparable. :rolleyes:

Poroshenko likely has been told by the EU that membership is not in the cards, because it isn't.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »
Italy GDP per capita -      $30,507 2017
Greece GDP per capita  - $18,637 2017
Ukraine GDP per capita - $  2,905 2017

Ukraine's unofficial unemployment is likely double your number, and millions of Ukrainians work abroad.

Yeah, their situations are really comparable. :rolleyes:

Poroshenko likely has been told by the EU that membership is not in the cards, because it isn't.

And people think Italy is in trouble, lol.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541002
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1875
Total: 1886

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM