It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Where is your best chance for success?  (Read 13840 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Where is your best chance for success?
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:06:55 AM »
It is a simple word, just 3 letters: где.

A question word.
Pretty simple in English too, G-d-ye, just 3 little letters.

Где means "where" and you should learn that word because it will be of immense importance when you visit.  Some examples:

Где туалет? (Where is the toilet?)

Где метро? (Where is the Metro?)

Где супермаркет? (Where is the supermarket?)

Где ресторан __(name)____? (Where is the _______ restaurant?) Note the Russian word order here.

Где _______ улица? (Where is _______ street?)

Где Красная площадь? (Where is Red Square?)

Over the years I have observed that many men continue over and over to miss the most important где question: Where should I travel?

For decades, we men have proven beyond doubt that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while hoping to achieve a different result. We do a little reading on the Internet (most of which is BS), ask advice of clueless friends who have never traveled, and buy a ticket to the same over-fished and scam laden cities.

It is time for men to ask that one simple question, Где, and put some thought into the answer -- BEFORE purchasing a plane ticket.

So, Где do we go--without thinking about it first?

- Ukraine.

I love Ukraine so please forgive me, but many guys go there because they get their panties all in a knot over the prospect of obtaining a visa to Russia or Belarus or Uzbekistan and fear the simple registration process upon arrival.

When we get to Ukraine we head straight to a place like Odessa where the women have been fleecing sailors out of their money for generations. With all due respect to the very few who have emerged from Odessa, with a lady, and unscathed, nothing has changed in Odessa for hundreds of years. You arrive, you are fleeced by the pros, you go home with a big credit card bill. There are exceptions and they are just that -- the exception.

Nikolaev
-- another way to spell Odessa. See notes above.

Kyiv (Kiev) -- north of Odessa and Nikolaev. See notes above and on Moscow.

The vast majority of single and available, beautiful and marriage-hungry ladies are in Russia. Your chances of success there trump anywhere else in the FSU by spades.

Those who travel to Russia often start with Moscow. This city has the highest standard of living by far and these ladies are not looking to connect with an Western guy and go live poorly in a small town or farming community. This is the largest city in Europe with 14 million inhabitants and these ladies are sophisticated, wear designer clothes, buy shoes with price tags that have commas, go to a spa weekly, have their nails and makeup done by some salon in a high-rise, many have access to a car, and they understand the kind of lifestyle they would like to live. If you can't provide that, then you are wasting your time. If you can provide it, then flash the AMEX and buy a bride. Just don't forget to keep up with the monthly payments. Oh, and hope that your spending limit is bigger than other guys she will meet once you bring her to the West.

Piter as the locals say; we from the West call it Saint Petersburg. A smaller Moscow with more of a cultural identity, fewer women, but often just as sophisticated and demanding. A nice place to visit with a girl not from Saint Petersburg. Yes it does have water, but did you know that Moscow is also considered to be a "port city" due to an extensive canal system for sizable water traffic? For those who wish to protest about exceptions -- see the comments above about exceptions in the Odessa section.

If some Saturday morning you were about to go fishing and a trusted friend told you about a spot along the river that had excellent fishing, but was a bit off the beaten path and never crowded, my guess is that you'd head off to that place less traveled.

That would be a very smart move, by the way. When you are traveling thousands of miles and spending thousands of dollars or euros on a venture at which you have little experience and are overloaded with BS information, you need to make some smart moves to even the odds for success.

If your panties are still in a wad over the visa situation and you insist on going to Ukraine, at least stay away from polluted areas like Odessa, Nikolaev, Kyiv (Kiev), etc.

No matter which country, your chances of success are going to be optimal where few bride-seekers travel. There are some sizeable places that are not mega cities. Ladies there have fewer options locally and almost no interest from Western men. Imagine that she is a 42 year old babe, 9+ on the scale, kids are grown and the only men who wish to date her are a married boss, or the unemployed alcoholic in apartment C-9 on the third floor.

Or, she might be that 32 year old hottie with no children. She isn't going to have children either at this rate because the only locals interested are 58 year old widowers or mafia dons who want her to sign a contract in exchange for a nice life that includes being available for dinner and sex anytime the dude's wife is out of town. No children allowed. She doesn't do 58 year olds, or mafia bosses, so you are in luck!

When you arrive at such a city, she stands at attention if you are a decent gentleman who sees value in her character, doesn't mind that she has two grown kids, or no kids but wants one, and understands that her degree & experience in pharmacy, or in economics, or medicine, likely means a good job eventually in Canada, the UK or USA. You are your only competition! All the other losers are back in Odessa or Moscow racking up massive credit card charges.

Где она? (Where is she?) She could be in Kirov (pop. 501,000), Omsk (1.2 million), Saratov (875,000), Izhevsk (626,000), or in Irkutsk (623,00) along the shores of the only lake in the world large enough dump all the North American Great lakes inside and still have room for more.

Где она? (Where is she?) She could be in Rostov-on-Don (1.1 million) and close enough to watch Russian regulars sneak across the border into Eastern Ukraine at night--just don't be caught with a binoculars or camera if you do observe. Maybe she is in Penza (506,000) less than 390 miles from Moscow.

Где она? (Where is she?) She might be in Barnaul (634,000), Ufa (1.15 million), or along the banks of the river at Yaroslavl (608,000), or in Orenburg (564,000) and she will hold your hand as you walk across the pedestrian bridge over the Ural river dividing Europe and Asia. You might be surprised to learn that 51% of Asia lies within the borders of Russia, as does almost 49% of the European continent.

Где она? (Where is she?) You may find her in Kaluga (342,000) a University town teaming with "babes" and just a 2 hour train ride from Moscow. Or, Rybinsk (200,000) where some of the most fierce battles of WWII (Great Patriotic War) took place with unimaginable loss of life. She may be in Tver which in ancient times challenged Moscow to be the capital of Russia. Just don't befriend the mayor of Tver. Back when Crimea was annexed, the mayor petitioned the Kremlin for the same financial aid package that Crimea received. He is not exactly on good terms with Mr. Putin these days.

Где она? (Where is she?) Perhaps you will find her in Kursk (450,000). Or, she may be living in or around Pskov (209,000) with ancient churches and monasteries near the border of Estonia. Lots of beautiful, and single, ladies in that region.

Где она? (Where is she?) Maybe Veliky Novogorod (223,000) the home of Grandfather Frost and the Snow Maiden when they aren't out delivering presents to children on the New Year's morning. She may be up in Arkangelsk region (500,000 region), where I swear there is something in the water of those lakes up there because you'd have to search for days to find an ugly girl. If you ever wanted to start a harem....that is your new home.

Где она? (Where is she?) She may be in Astrakhan, just 875 miles south of Moscow. There is a lot of ancient history here, and some recent history too. In August of 2011 Mr. Putin was fishing in the Volga river when he decided to take a dive underneath the water. Whoa! Who'd a thunk that on just the third dive of his career he went straight down and found 2 sixth century Greek urns just waiting to be discovered. Beginners luck, I guess. That was the same fishing trip at which Mr. Putin broke the news to Mr. Medvedev that he should shelve his presidential re-election campaign, because Mr. Putin planned to return to the big office in the Kremlin. Ironically that conversation took place at the very same hour that former Soviet president Gorbachev was speaking at a large business luncheon back in Moscow and endorsing the Medvedev campaign. Oops.

Где она? (Where is she?) Maybe she is in Ulyanovsk, the birthplace of Vladimir Lenin. It also holds the distinction of hosting the only scanctioned NATO airbase inside Russia. That didn't last long as the press, much more independent back then, started to report on the unique rental arrangement. The Kremlin cancelled the lease, but one does have to chuckle each time a certain Russian president complains about NATO "encroachment."

Где она? (Where is she?) Have you looked for her in Perm? (1 million), or Novosibirsk (1.6 million) and surprisingly Russia's third largest city receives few Western visitors. Maybe she works in one of the Samovar plants in or near Tula (485,000) and you could pick up a nice hot water samovar while enjoying the eye candy. You might find her among the beautiful ladies in Ivanovo (407,000) just 185 miles outside Moscow.

There are 76 cities across Russia that have populations larger than 250,000 and not including Moscow or Piter.

Где она? (Where is she?)  Did you know that you can travel to the former Soviet nation of Kazakhstan without a visa for US travelers? This is where many US rockets and Satellites are launched nowadays. The ladies are gorgeous with a blend of Slavic and Asian features.

Где она? (Where is she?) Well, she might be in Belarus. Some guys are scared away because normal bride agencies are banned. But matchmaking agencies do exist and you can find a gal online, communicate with her via letters, and then allow the matchmaking agency to arrange your visa and meeting with the girl for a few hundred. After that, you have met the agency obligation and the two of you can set the agenda moving forward.  A visa to enter is up to 5 days at the Minsk airpost as long as you didn't fly from Moscow. But, a 30 day visa is not that difficult and the matchmaking agency will arrange it for you at under a hundred. Or, if you enter by car, bus, or train from Poland you can stay without a visa for up to 10 days.

Belarus girls are all in fit shape, drop-dead gorgeous, and you have NO COMPETITION. You are there with all the chocolate at your fingertips while all the other losers are getting fleeced in Odessa, Kyiv and Moscow. 

Где? Only 3 letters of the Cyrillic alphabet. But perhaps the most important 3 letters of your search.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:44:52 AM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Where is your best chance for success?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 02:23:11 AM »
A lovely thread !

Merry Christmas, Mendy !

Где она? (Where is she?) Well, she might be in Belarus. if you enter by car, bus, or train from Poland you can stay without a visa for up to 10 days.

Really?  I just drove via Poland from the UK to Sochi and circumvented Belarus  - believing otherwise !

Have you info on this ?

Offline wallm

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 06:07:20 AM »
Fantastic info.   :clapping:

This is the kind of information needed in this forum that is sorely missing due to the never ending baloney about Trench.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 06:37:09 AM »
 ::)

I assume you're interest in the Russian language means you're going to be giving this FSU thing another shot Wall?

I've tried using 'where' - 'Gde' when I'm Ukraine but rarely did it seem to be understood. I'm guessing either they only spoke Ukrainian, my pronunciation was of or my accent was difficult to understand (not that I consider myself to have a strong regional accent at all) or perhaps maybe I was in a region with a particular accent/dialect.

I've used some other basic Russian words with more success. I basically just memorise a small list of words such as 'where' such as 'I would like...' 'what is the...', 'I love you', etc, etc.

I tend to find that trying to help a Russian girl out in conversation with a bit of Russian not a good idea. I did it with the second girl I met whose English was not good and got to say I think those that say poor Russian devalues you are probably right. I would much rather use a word translator and show the girl even though it can get a little tedious sometimes.

I think I really need to get some time in online with a Russian Language teacher when I get the time to get them to help me with pronunciation, etc. I pronounce 'Gde' - Ged dee - if that is at all right?
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 06:39:48 AM »
Russians - gde
Ukrainian- de

Every Ukrainian can understand Russian and it’s still the most commonly used language in Central Ukraine and east.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BillyB

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 11:01:35 AM »
If your panties are still in a wad over the visa situation and you insist on going to Ukraine, at least stay away from polluted areas like Odessa, Nikolaev, Kyiv (Kiev), etc.

Another reason why guys choose easy to travel places is because they're nervous to go off the beaten path. Another reason why guys choose easy to travel places is because it's a stress on their finances to travel a few extra kilometers. Another reason why guys choose easy to travel places is because they know there are more English speaking people in tourist areas. Another reason guys choose panties is because they're simply more comfortable.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 11:12:55 AM »

Another reason why guys choose easy to travel places is because they're nervous to go off the beaten path. Another reason why guys choose easy to travel places is because it's a stress on their finances to travel a few extra kilometers. Another reason why guys choose easy to travel places is because they know there are more English speaking people in tourist areas. Another reason guys choose panties is because they're simply more comfortable.

Well, that's a post from someone who hasn't been to Russia or Belarus - just two examples - for a while......

1/ I've been in Piter, Moscow and not a few other cities in my travels and  most Russians WANT to speak English....to help.. let alone the signs in ...English in touristy areas

2/ Visas ? It's always been EASY for Americans - for example - to get long-term Visas for  Russia and Belarus makes it easy to pitch up at the airport - if on a short visit

3/ What's to be nervous about ? 

Find someone you'd like to meet and stop making excuses ;)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 11:53:52 AM »

Apparently Moby, you've been on these forums for years and failed to understand the concerns of newbies travelling to the FSU based off what they write. The light is on upstairs but nobody's home. Pay attention sometimes.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline kynrazor

• Always optimistic :)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 12:11:50 PM »
It is a simple word, just 3 letters: где.

A question word.
Pretty simple in English too, G-d-ye, just 3 little letters.

Где means "where" and you should learn that word because it will be of immense importance when you visit.

Belarus girls are all in fit shape, drop-dead gorgeous, and you have NO COMPETITION. You are there with all the chocolate at your fingertips while all the other losers are getting fleeced in Odessa, Kyiv and Moscow. 

Где? Only 3 letters of the Cyrillic alphabet. But perhaps the most important 3 letters of your search.

Wow Mendy, your post is gold! No wonder you're a journalist!

Just a follow-up question. What are your thoughts on the prospects of finding one in Voronezh (est. 1,032,895), fairly close to Rostov-on-Don, or say in Kazan (est. 1,216,965), descendants of the Tatars?  :)
Sincerely,
Kyn

Offline alex330

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 12:23:13 PM »
or say in Kazan (est. 1,216,965), descendants of the Tatars?  :)

We know several very beautiful women (sisters) living here from Kazan. One just sold her restaurant there to move to the US. Very nice personalities. I would definitely search there.

I respectfully disagree on Odesa. Yes, it has a bad reputation, but it is a big city with large numbers of beautiful women. I was there Spring of 2017 and single women were seated alone in tourist bars waiting for a guy to walk up and speak to them. Obviously you need to have something going for you to fish there though.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:29:42 PM by alex330 »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 12:28:11 PM »

I recall a resort we visited in the Caribbean some time ago. The service was nice, the accommodations were excellent, and the weather was very nice. However, the beach was over-crowded. A very large resort with a beach so crowded that people were vying for a spot to lay a beach towel. That is what it is like when you fish is a crowded pond. On a venture where many guys return home empty handed and disappointed, why should one choose yet another handicap?

If traveling a few extra kilometers is a strain, then the entire venture is a strain. The real problem is that guys have struck up an email relationship, the girl indicated that she is not interested in long correspondence, and the guy feels pressured to travel immediately. He shoots his wad (of cash) too soon and returns home committed, but now is even further pressured to start the immigration process with those associated costs.

English is now the most selected subject for the foreign language requirement to graduate. If she is below 40, she has had some English already. She may have forgotten a lot, may not feel comfortable, or her speaking skills lag behind reading comprehension (very common in learning a different language), but she is no stranger to English. If she is in a hurry for you to travel, then you must impress upon her that you are in a hurry for her to learn.

Guys travel with no rifle (basic Russian) in their suitcase far too often. Learning some basic Russian will save you in certain situations. It reminds me of the large waves of Russian soldiers attacking the Germans. When rifles were in short supply the commanders would order the troops to place men with rifles at the front and then to charge the enemy. As those men dropped, the men behind them were to pick up the fallen rifles and continue the charge. Travel when you are equipped and truly ready for travel, not when some girl you've never met dictates.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:48:12 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »

I respectfully disagree on Odessa. Yes, it has a bad reputation, but it is a big city with large numbers of beautiful women to ignore. I was there Spring of 2017 and single women were seated alone in tourist bars waiting for a guy to walk up and speak to them. Obviously you need to have something going for you to fish there though.

Alex, good to "see" you again! Hope all is well.

Odessa has not changed. Of course there were single girls waiting in tourist bars. They know the best fishing spots.

The bait, or something going for you, is a credit card with a big spending limit. :-)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:50:04 PM by mendeleyev »

Offline ML

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 12:39:58 PM »
Mendy is right about Odesa.

The most dishonest people as a group in Ukraine can be found there, and most of the women I met were very insincere.

Actually if I lined up all the women I have met anywhere ranked by insincerity . . . the top 10% would be mostly from Odesa.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 12:45:12 PM »

Just a follow-up question. What are your thoughts on the prospects of finding one in Voronezh (est. 1,032,895), fairly close to Rostov-on-Don, or say in Kazan (est. 1,216,965), descendants of the Tatars?  :)

Thank you.

Some of the most beautiful women can be found in the Voronezh and Rostov areas. Check out the town of Shakhty (239,000) not far from there, too. Shakhty is a mining town that has seen some really hard economic times but is beginning to recover.

Rostov-on-Don is on the river, of course, and a nice place with lots of single ladies.

Kazan is a beautiful place. The only caution is that while Kazan has successfully blended Islam alongside Orthodoxy for generations, a guy needs to be settled on his own religious roots, if any, before trying to woo a woman who may have very different religious traditions. If the homework is done properly, then Kazan is a great place to find a quality bride.

If for no other reason, Kazan is a stunningly beautiful place to visit. As you know, the women there are just as stunning.  A round trip train ticket, second class, is only $51 in USD. Just 12.5 hours each way. During the Olympics and for a while afterward there was a doubledecker express train, the Red Arrow Express that operated a high speed connection from Moscow to Kazan in 4 hours. But I think that has been discontinued.

I can say nice things about Kazan because I've been paid to do so, not to mention that it is truly a fantastic location with a great history. My voice will be on a video sometime in late 2018 and early 2019, produced by the local tourism and exhibition board...in English. I do not know when it will be released.

I will say this: voicing the video for Kazan was far easier than one I voiced for the governing tourism board in Norway a couple of years ago. Dear Lord, correctly pronouncing the names of some of those towns, mountains, and lakes was the biggest challenge I've ever experienced on a similar project.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:10:27 PM by mendeleyev »

Offline alex330

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »
Alex, good to "see" you again! Hope all is well.

Odessa has not changed. Of course there were single girls waiting in tourist bars. They know the best fishing spots.

The bait, or something going for you, is a credit card with a big spending limit. :-)

Nice to see you back as well Mende. All is wonderful on our side. Eating warm borsch on a chilly Florida day and six years of marriage next week. The forum has missed your amazing knowledge of all things FSU.

This particular girl did not seem like a pro dater. My wife and I spoke with her while listening to music at an outdoor cafe. But yes, Odesa in general will have a larger number of women who know how to separate men from their wallets. I personally feel most adults should know better than to fall for that. And be able to see it coming before it gets carried away. Maybe I can read people better than others and am assuming others can as well...

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 01:14:02 PM »
Mendy is right about Odesa.

The most dishonest people as a group in Ukraine can be found there

Odesa has had that reputation since the 19th century.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 04:48:36 PM »
...Где она? (Where is she?) Have you looked for her in Perm? (1 million), or Novosibirsk (1.6 million) and surprisingly Russia's third largest city receives few Western visitors...

Awesome post, and I agree about Novosibirsk, my wife's hometown. IMO, Russia's capital for gorgeous women. That was a Russian bear to travel to, but she was, and still is, worth every coming/going redundant inch of travelling from Los Angeles for me.

Next to my wife, during my search were gals from Ekaterinberg (which I'm surprised Mendy didn't name) and Yaroslavl. The rest were all from Moscow.

But wasn't Yoshkar-Ola the Fleece capital of Russia (not on the list, but likely deservedly so)?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:54:28 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 09:09:02 PM »
Awesome post, and I agree about Novosibirsk, my wife's hometown. IMO, Russia's capital for gorgeous women. That was a Russian bear to travel to, but she was, and still is, worth every coming/going redundant inch of travelling from Los Angeles for me.

Next to my wife, during my search were gals from Ekaterinberg (which I'm surprised Mendy didn't name) and Yaroslavl. The rest were all from Moscow.

But wasn't Yoshkar-Ola the Fleece capital of Russia (not on the list, but likely deservedly so)?

Hey, GQ! Nice to see you.

I debated about including Yekaterinberg as there is so much history there. It is a ways out there for some travelers, but it is the city of Boris Yeltsin, the Ipatiev House where the Romanov family was imprisoned and then murdered in the basement. There is the forest where the Bolsheviks threw acid on their bodies, set them on fire and tried to bury them down mine shafts. Then the magnificent church of the Spilled Blood built over the place where the Ipatiev house once stood. Really a place of amazing history.

And, as you say, amazing ladies.

As to Yoshkar-Ola, it was at one time thought to be the Fleece capital of Russia. I don't hear much out of that location anymore and perhaps it is just too far off the beaten path with a declining population now down to about 200K. For awhile there were no direct flights from Moscow, but now there is a daily flight from Moscow's Domodedovo (DME) airport.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 12:38:48 AM »

There was a plane crash at Rostov on Don a couple of years ago in bad weather, about March time I think. Apparently the runway is not to great there, a bit short or something. It's also quite near the conflict zone bordering Ukraine and although well behind the front line they may wonder what you are doing there and take an interest in you.

I think Mendy is right with regards to safety. I've said it before on here that some posters make it sound a lot easier than it necessarily is - at least for a relative Newbie. They say you just jump on here or there, do this or that, etc. However particularly for us UK guys a lot of the stuff they mention may be some distance and as a guy without much idea it's not always straight forward. In addition as I have found invest in and consider personal security precautions - these have been mentioned on here before. Not leaving your self exposed or standing out in the wrong way is something to be doing.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline mhr7

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 12:52:46 AM »
There was a plane crash at Rostov on Don a couple of years ago in bad weather, about March time I think. Apparently the runway is not to great there, a bit short or something. It's also quite near the conflict zone bordering Ukraine and although well behind the front line they may wonder what you are doing there and take an interest in you.

I've lived in a city 35 km from Rostov for 3+ years and never had any problems with any authorities. A new airport opened in Rostov last month in preparation for the upcoming World Cup.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline mhr7

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 12:59:00 AM »
I debated about including Yekaterinberg as there is so much history there. It is a ways out there for some travelers, but it is the city of Boris Yeltsin, the Ipatiev House where the Romanov family was imprisoned and then murdered in the basement. There is the forest where the Bolsheviks threw acid on their bodies, set them on fire and tried to bury them down mine shafts. Then the magnificent church of the Spilled Blood built over the place where the Ipatiev house once stood. Really a place of amazing history.

Cool, I'll be there in 2 weeks and will be sure to see the sights.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline msmob

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 02:35:03 AM »

Apparently Moby, you've been on these forums for years and failed to understand the concerns of newbies travelling to the FSU based off what they write. The light is on upstairs but nobody's home. Pay attention sometimes.

In all those years I've always given the same advice... "stop finding excuses and get on a plane and find out for yourself.."

I'm sure you just missed it...

Offline msmob

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 02:46:20 AM »

More Trench bollox, I'm afraid..

1/ The FlyDubai crash ?  I wasn't aware an official conclusion had been reached.... other than a prom finding ... the  conditions were adverse - possibly the pilots should have diverted to - say - Krasnodar - but chose to keep trying at Rostov ( pressure from company ? ) or some reckon elevator issue with 737

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flydubai_Flight_981

2/ Rostov on Don is considered SO unsafe, the UK ( and other western nations) have visa application centres there ;)

3/ Man Utd played football there, recently - I must have missed reports of injuries to their supporters ....

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 04:02:48 AM »
There was a plane crash at Rostov on Don a couple of years ago in bad weather, about March time I think. Apparently the runway is not to great there, a bit short or something.

As Moby says: absolute bollocks!  I've flown into Rostov (the original) in an Airbus, and there was plenty of room left on the runway when we turned off to taxi to the terminal.

It's also quite near the conflict zone bordering Ukraine and although well behind the front line they may wonder what you are doing there and take an interest in you.

Knowing what you've written over the last couple of years, I would wonder - but why on earth would they?  Do you seriously think that Russian security staff are going to expect you (a non-Russian speaking Englishman) to be a Ukrainian spy in disguise?  Rostov has some really beautiful sights - I would happily return if I ever go back to Russia.

I think Mendy is right with regards to safety. I've said it before on here that some posters make it sound a lot easier than it necessarily is - at least for a relative Newbie. They say you just jump on here or there, do this or that, etc. However particularly for us UK guys a lot of the stuff they mention may be some distance and as a guy without much idea it's not always straight forward.

Stop writing stuff that makes you sound like an even bigger idiot than I take you for.  If you are "a guy without much idea" you shouldn't even be looking in the FSU for a girlfriend or wife.  It IS easy - I didn't know anybody when I first visited Russia, and only a little bit of the language, but I had no problems finding my way around.  Even on a trip in the Moscow Metro, when I realised that my train was going in the wrong direction, it was easy enough to get off at the next station, change platforms, and go back the way I had come.

If you've got someone to meet you (your possible future wife, apartment owner or agent, matchmaker or whoever) then you're made.  Use the internet before you go, and STUDY where you're going and how to get around - it's not rocket science.

In addition as I have found invest in and consider personal security precautions - these have been mentioned on here before. Not leaving your self exposed or standing out in the wrong way is something to be doing.

"Invest" in what, exactly?  A gun?  A collapsible truncheon?  A Swiss army knife with 200 blades and a horseshoe pick?  A can of mace?  If you take the same precautions you do when you're walking around your own city you should be fine.  The vast majority of people EVERYWHERE are never any trouble for anyone else.  Again, if you're that worried, you shouldn't be going in the first place.

Offline CaptB

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 06:38:19 AM »
Hi Mendy,

I have been extolling the virtues.......of exactly what are saying in this thread. You have given many more examples of places to go other than St. Pete, Moscow, Odessa, Kyiv etc. etc. I agree with all your choices. I will add a few of my own.

TVER, RUSSIA One of the very earliest FSU place to find a bride. Guess what. No one has gone here for years (my first FSU visit back in 1999. Getting a "Russian visa"...is no big deal. Those that save a few bucks and go to Ukraine.....are missing out. Lifetime Partners was the main reason to go to Tver. American owned agency....with offices in California, USA. Along with European Connection & Loveme.com.......the original pioneers.....for FSU brides/dating. LTP is still in business. A good place to go because almost everyone is going to Ukraine...these days. Nothing wrong with Ukraine. But going there to save a few bucks on a visa.....is ridiculous !!! This journey.....whether Ukraine or Russia (or Belarus, Georgia, Estonia, Kasakstan, Kirgizstan etc. etc. etc.........) will not be cheap. Most will spend 10's of thousands of dollars before their journey ends........i.e. marriage, green card, citizenship etc. My advice (which I followed myself) was to pick an interesting place......a place you would like to go to......because it is a nice place to visit. I have met many FSU "women" who were going back home to visit family and friends.......sans their husbands......who showed no interest in going back to visit. For me...Tver is a first love.......but I really love my wife's home city of Stavropol, Russia. Hopefully I will visit again....soon.

O.K. for the folks that have already chosen their future FSU bride.......you can't pick an area "first".......you have already found your someone first.....before choosing an "area"
first.....I get it. But the "NEWBIE"......CAN !!!!! choose a nice part of "ANY COUNTRY".......first.......then try to locate a suitable partner. That will keep you from being one of the guys whose wife visit (FSU home) alone.......because their husband thinks the place is "shit city". Sorry for the attitude here.......but whatever advice is given on this forum.......there is "ALWAYS" a counterpoint. To find a "nice" partner......is the goal. But if you have not found someone.......why not start in a "NICE" place................just saying.

STAVROPOL, RUSSIA  My wife's hometown. 450,000 (or so) population. Very mild winters. Currently -19 degrees F here in Northern Michigan. Stavropol is currently 48 degrees 
F. Nice downtown, beautiful parks, very nice people, low crime..........a really nice place to live.....or visit.

SAMARA, RUSSIA About 1 million people.......feels like 75,000. South end of the Volga River. Beautiful man-made beach (about 3 kilometers long).....nice people....beautiful women. I would be happy to live in Stavropol or Samara.

This reply is not against Ukraine........but most of us "geezers" started out looking in Russia.......which is still a great place to look. Yes.....it is not as easy........but quality partners are still their to be found.

Cant B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541392
Total Topics: 20862