It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Measles Outbreak in Europe. Vaccinations up to date?  (Read 4945 times)

Offline DaveNY

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Measles Outbreak in Europe. Vaccinations up to date?
« on: March 07, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »
There is currently a measles outbreak that has spread across Europe. In Europe, there were more than 21,000 cases of measles and 35 deaths last year, a fourfold increase in cases compared to the previous year. With more than 5,000 cases each, Romania and Italy had the biggest epidemics.

Other countries that have reported measles cases are: Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

It's not just eastern European countries such as Russia and Ukraine, the outbreak also includes countries like Italy, where the outbreak is especially bad, also the UK, Sweden, France, Germany and many other major European countries.

This story doesn't seem to be getting much press from the American media, don't know why. I found it on a couple of Canadian media outlets.

If you're going to Russia, Ukraine or anyone in Europe make sure your family's measles vaccinations are current.

http://globalnews.ca/news/4068798/europe-measles-outbreak-vaccination/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/measles-travel-phac-1.4564113

Online Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Measles Outbreak in Europe. Vaccinations up to date?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:37:51 PM »
I would hardly call it an epidemic, the numbers are still real low considering the many millions of people in Europe, even for the UK alone 21000 cases would be nothing. I think it looks more like the Canadian authorities winding up their population as they know they are perhaps not as well vaccinated as a lot of Europe so it could spread more easily & quickly than in Europe. I have certainly seen nor heard of any cases around where I am. I have heard no articles on the news either. So I wouldn't panic.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline JayH

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:18:32 PM »
Ignoring the Trenchcoat ignorance ( again !)_ :cluebat:

Measles outbreaks in numerous areas in Ukraine have proven deadly for children over the last few months.

Ukraine reports hundreds of measles cases

The current case count stands at 735, and the vaccination rates are very poor, according to health officials.

In 2016, only 45 percent of children in Ukraine were vaccinated against measles.

Over the past 15 years, spikes in measles in Ukraine have been seen three times – in 2001, 2006 and 2012, respectively. During these years, the incidence increased by tens and hundreds of times. In particular, in 2012 about 13,000 cases were reported.

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/ukraine-reports-hundreds-measles-cases-vaccination-rates-low-33129/

Ukraine’s efforts to stop measles outbreak continue as case total increases

Measles continues to spread in Ukraine, with new cases now being reported in all oblasts and Kyiv. These cases are the latest in an expanding outbreak that affected over 3 000 people and claimed the lives of 5 children and adults in 2017.

http://reliefweb.int/report/ukraine/ukraine-s-efforts-stop-measles-outbreak-continue-case-total-increases
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:24:11 PM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 12:34:49 AM »
19 years ago there was a school of thought that the combined measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) jabs and this influenced some Mums and health bodies to a thinking it might be 'safer' to NOT inoculate

16 years ago, my youngest was due her first jab and my then estranged wife refused to have it done....'too much risk'

Eventually, it was done and thank God- there was no side effect seen in a v.small percentage of kids.

The article that kicked all this off was discredited by 2014

I'd never heard of this outbreak and would be interested to know of it's cause.. i.e. is till still ignorance on behalf or parents / cost ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy

Offline JayH

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 01:31:36 AM »
 A major problem in the FSU has been a major question of exactly what is being vaccinated .  Substitution has been historically rife -- and in Ukraine today there is huge concern  & suspicion about what is being used.
Some of the people doing the reassuring are not always what I would call convincing.
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 02:03:15 AM »
As a child I had the measles and the thinking was that having the measles gave the patient lifetime immunity to getting the measles a second time. However I was told in the 90s by my doctor that the new thinking was the immunity didn't last a lifetime and as an adult I should get vaccinated. Don't know if that still holds true or if now in my 60s do I need to get another vaccination?

Offline msmob

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 02:09:29 AM »
Good question

This is from the UK Nation Health Service

My biz partner is a  doctor  - though a retired Gynaecology  surgeon - will ask

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/mmr-vaccine-when-needed/

Seems adults may be should be inoculated - if going to prevalent regions

Offline JayH

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 02:35:57 AM »
As a child I had the measles and the thinking was that having the measles gave the patient lifetime immunity to getting the measles a second time. However I was told in the 90s by my doctor that the new thinking was the immunity didn't last a lifetime and as an adult I should get vaccinated. Don't know if that still holds true or if now in my 60s do I need to get another vaccination?

In recent years I have revisited all the childhood ( & later eg tetanus update shot )vaccinations etc  Because of the countries I was in  my Doctor advised that it was probably a good idea to do a total review and update.
I have had no reason to doubt that was good advice.

There was a recent measles outbreak  in Australia that was traced to a guy flying in from Pakistan and the follow up chasing everyone who had come in contact not easy.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 05:10:02 AM »

I had both types of measles as a baby. During my pregnancies, my blood was tested for various things, and my immunity to measles measured off the charts. So, you can be tested, and the likelihood is, you’re probably fine.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 07:03:44 AM »
Ignoring the Trenchcoat ignorance ( again !)_ :cluebat:

Measles outbreaks in numerous areas in Ukraine have proven deadly for children over the last few months.

Ukraine reports hundreds of measles cases

The current case count stands at 735, and the vaccination rates are very poor, according to health officials.

In 2016, only 45 percent of children in Ukraine were vaccinated against measles.

Over the past 15 years, spikes in measles in Ukraine have been seen three times – in 2001, 2006 and 2012, respectively. During these years, the incidence increased by tens and hundreds of times. In particular, in 2012 about 13,000 cases were reported.

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/ukraine-reports-hundreds-measles-cases-vaccination-rates-low-33129/

Ukraine’s efforts to stop measles outbreak continue as case total increases

Measles continues to spread in Ukraine, with new cases now being reported in all oblasts and Kyiv. These cases are the latest in an expanding outbreak that affected over 3 000 people and claimed the lives of 5 children and adults in 2017.

http://reliefweb.int/report/ukraine/ukraine-s-efforts-stop-measles-outrbreak-continue-case-total-increases

Wow, hundreds of cases! Lol, that's an epidemic! Sounds to me more like sheer hysteria. In poorer countries more may succumb to the measles. In wealthier countries few do. I had measles as a child as did my siblings, we survived, no need for expensive vaccinations just decent living conditions & lots of rest. People these days are too pampered, running of and getting vacinations for this that and the other. It's how we've ended up with a youth with such a sense of entitlement.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Boethius

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 07:30:48 AM »
It is an epidemic in Ukraine, there are thousands of cases, not hundreds, and there have been deaths. Given this is completely preventable, your dismissal of this is cavalier and heartless.

Oh and your linking of vaccinations to a sense of entitlement is yet another example of the stupidity you are wont to post.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 07:33:50 AM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 01:55:47 PM »
A major problem in the FSU has been a major question of exactly what is being vaccinated .  Substitution has been historically rife -- and in Ukraine today there is huge concern  & suspicion about what is being used.
Some of the people doing the reassuring are not always what I would call convincing.

The suspicion of what is being used (i.e., fake vaccines) is one factor for the low rates.  The other is theft.  For example, the government paid a group to vaccinate children.  That group took the vaccinations and sold them.

In Soviet times, vaccination rates were 100%, or close to it, in Ukraine.  In my husband's district, if you didn't show up at your appointed vaccination date, even as an adult (for tetanus boosters, for example), the local health clinic would come to your home.

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
Boethius brings up a good point about having a tetanus vaccination or booster. If you travel to the FSU like my family does you want to make sure your tetanus shots are up to date. You don't want to have an accident and get an infection that a tetanus shot could have prevented. Trying to find and get a tetanus shot when you don't speak the language or know where the hospitals are can be dangerous to your health.

Get a tetanus vaccination or booster before going to the FSU or any international destination.

Online Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »
A real case of the worried well here. If you've had measles or been vaccinated previous then you're fine. In any case it only tends to knock of those with weak immune systems. Tetenus is unlikely to be need if already vaccinated. In any case you would have to be rolling around in the muck & sh*t and injure yourself whole doing so. Never really the scene I depict getting into for FSU dating. Can be treated in any case.

Offline Davo2

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 04:02:42 PM »
Wow, hundreds of cases! Lol, that's an epidemic! Sounds to me more like sheer hysteria. In poorer countries more may succumb to the measles. In wealthier countries few do. I had measles as a child as did my siblings, we survived, no need for expensive vaccinations just decent living conditions & lots of rest. People these days are too pampered, running of and getting vacinations for this that and the other. It's how we've ended up with a youth with such a sense of entitlement.

It's not  pampering trench, it's your social responsibility as a parent to have your children vaccinated and the reason diseases like polio are no longer a problem for our generation.

Measles are not something to be taken lightly. I developed measles induced encephalitis when I was 11 and was in intensive care for 3 weeks. Another girl who was in the same ward suffered servere  brain damage from it. It's the most debilitating pain you'll ever experience and it can be fatal.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:14:36 PM by Davo2 »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 04:13:46 PM »
Yes, encephalitis is a common adverse effect for measles sufferers, both children and adults.  Measles in pregnant women can result in stillbirths, miscarriage, or severe birth defects. It also affects the immune system long term.   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:26:26 PM by Boethius »

Offline Jumper

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 09:25:24 PM »
19 years ago there was a school of thought that the combined measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) jabs and this influenced some Mums and health bodies to a thinking it might be 'safer' to NOT inoculate

16 years ago, my youngest was due her first jab and my then estranged wife refused to have it done....'too much risk'

Eventually, it was done and thank God- there was no side effect seen in a v.small percentage of kids.

The article that kicked all this off was discredited by 2014

I'd never heard of this outbreak and would be interested to know of it's cause.. i.e. is till still ignorance on behalf or parents / cost ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy

There are still conflicting studies as far as the combination shots,and the common carrier mercury,and a link to autism.
I have 3 friends with autistic children who all showed no signs until after initial inoculation.
Yes this is also the time signs woukd naturally occur,so it's completely subjective.
Scientifically I'm sure it's safer than most of what we do,or our kids injest.i get that.
I also fully support vaccination.

Still  without a real need for combined injections at such a specific developmental neurological stage.
, there seems only convenience at hand to do it that way ,with possible devastating risk.

I feel zero regret in deciding to separate those injection times and styles for our wee one.
It may not have lessened any risk, but we felt safer that way,and she is vaccinated.

Offline msmob

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 12:07:57 AM »
A real case of the worried well here. If you've had measles or been vaccinated previous then you're fine.

Ah, our Trench ain't a medical expert, either  :cluebat:

I'm grateful to the OP for starting this thread. It has highlighted a trend in my part of the world, whereby  folks into 'natural medicines' have shunned the MMR virus and one school in my area - where most parent are from the 'knit your own yogurt' brigade have had THE outbreak for the whole of the South West of England

It seems Steiner schools in the UK, Australia, etc., have multiple outbreaks and the parents  / admin - STILL don't insist on inoculations  :cluebat:

2017. Oz : http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/second-steiner-school-student-in-perth-infected-with-measles-ng-67aec0de166a14c41185e0e3b6c7d1ab

2018 UK: http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/thousands-more-children-could-immunised-1314801

Offline deccie

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 08:22:54 PM »

The suspicion of what is being used (i.e., fake vaccines) is one factor for the low rates.  The other is theft.  For example, the government paid a group to vaccinate children.  That group took the vaccinations and sold them.

In Soviet times, vaccination rates were 100%, or close to it, in Ukraine.  In my husband's district, if you didn't show up at your appointed vaccination date, even as an adult (for tetanus boosters, for example), the local health clinic would come to your home.

That is true. We have started the vaccinations for our kids but they are not yet concluded as getting imported  vaccine here has been a problem. We've already had some doctors try to use expired ones so you have to be incredibly vigilant.

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 01:09:41 AM »
Growing up in the United States as a child I had a number of childhood infectious diseases, including measles. Polio was the topper.

It seems in the fSU there is a widespread reluctance, mistrust or fear of vaccinations. The odd thing is most women there are all to prone to run in high heels during a blizzard to obtain antibiotics if there is a sniffle, for there sproglets.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541327
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701