It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: I got engaged  (Read 7215 times)

Offline Timmy K.

I got engaged
« on: May 23, 2005, 02:09:05 PM »
 Well I guess I have myself a future wife, it was a expierience of a life time. I could write a book so if you have questions just ask.

Offline Timmy K.

I got engaged
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 02:36:35 PM »
Another picture one of my favorites

Offline Photo Guy

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
I got engaged
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 03:35:06 PM »
Timmy,
:)  Congratulations!   WOVO?  (Not that it's that important)

I recognize that lake - New Hampshire, right?   ;)
The report should be interesting.
How did you first meet her? An agency?
...She's beautiful.   -Doug
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 03:35:00 PM by Photo Guy »

Offline jb

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
I got engaged
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 04:11:24 PM »
Good for you, Tim

Offline Todd

I got engaged
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 04:32:34 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline Timmy K.

I got engaged
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 05:15:44 PM »
Thanks Doug,

Sorry I missed you when we were both there, one of my bags got lost. Yes it was the one with all the gifts, my phone numbers and addresses of the other ladies I might have to meet. I got it back that following Wednesday I think. I lost track of which day it was a couple of times there.

I guess I should give all you people a report,  it has been 3 weeks since I've been back and things were a little off balance on the home front here. I got a few surprises when I got back with some money owed to me but everything is getting in order to start the process to get her over here.

PART 1-  Friday April 8, 2:30 pm Borispol.

Dazed, jetlagged, helpless and one missing bag. A whole bunch of student exchange pupils in the terminal. What a madhouse it was. I finally spotted Vika and the agency lady/ translator and off to the car we went. I gave Victoria the three wilted roses from here in Des Moines and instant {what do I do now} How was your flight, this and that. I am tired and hungry and my eyes were blood shot. It seemed there was no interest at first in me from her. Yes I was not what she expected......at first. We got to our apartment and Victoria had arrived the day before and she had enough food prepared for 6 hungry men and she had the homemade sweater she knitted for me. I ate and then cleaned up and the lady from the agency {IRINA} gave me the bad news. Victoria had said I was not what she expected. We decided to give it a few days, over the weekend and see what happens. So I just stayed myself not trying to impress her, being my self just like the honest letters I wrote. We went to St, Michels cathederal and a few other local sights within walking distance the first few days. Irina had other business on Monday and Tuesday and out came the dictionaries and we started to communicate one word at a time. Things were warming up, we started to laugh at what we were trying to explain to each other. The first sentence she learned was { The Book} ha ha ha- Get the book, OK I had three of them and we made it work. Left overs for 3 days but very good I must say.First good thing I did , I washed the dishes, she was very surprised. Victoria is from a very poor enviornment so the simple things are important to her. She liked to go window shopping and look at all the nice things she has always dreamed of having. She is very easy to please, she likes little things like little stuffed animals so she now has 3 or 4. Oh Yes I almost for got, since we are both in the construction business she had magazines of all kinds of things she worked with, windows , doors, flooring and she even had a couple of samples of parquet flooring for me. So that was a big icebreaker for us. Then I got my bag back and I gave her one of the gifts. She was very pleased at my kindness. this is where I lost track of which day it was. Irina showed up and we went out to eat at DeJu Veu. { I know this isn't spelled right} Finally a lot of questions and answers with Irina to translate. I think the biggest asset for Victoria and I was that Irina liked to sleep until noon and would not show up to our apartment sometimes as late as 5 in the afternoon. So we adapted to this and did our own thing keeping it simple, we walked here and we walked there checking out different places in every direction of independence square.We got on the Subway alot and wakled here and walked there. We were holding hands and started to really look into each others eyes and then a kiss or two.Then about day 5, 6 or 7 I'm not sure we ended up in the same bedroom. I was about asleep and I heard this beautiful little voice TEEM { this is how she says Tim]     TEEM come here, so I did {seet Teem} and I did on the edge of her bed and well you all can guess the rest. We got directions to the zoo and this is where Victoria learned to use my digital camera, 170 pictures later and she is a pro now, she took pictures of everything that moved in the zoo. HA HA HA

OK tomorrow night part 2

I got engaged
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 06:40:06 PM »
Good for you (both) Tim that you did not give up at the first sign of uncertainty! It sounds like you did the exact right thing by not trying to overly impress this lady. Honestly is always the best policy and the fact that even though you were not quite what she had imagined you would be but she gave you a chance bodes quite well for your relationship. She is obviously not a scammer or she would have hit the road and left you standing there.

Good luck and please finish your trip report as it is not often that we hear such an encouraging story. If I can help you with the K-1 process just IM me or post your inquiry here as there is a wealth of knowledge among those that post here.

Offline Bruno

I got engaged
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 06:55:26 PM »
Timmy, i think that you can thank the plane compagny for the loose of your bag :shock::D

Without this, maybe you have begin visit other women and miss the hapiness you know now... the destiny was here for help you... some little detail who change all...

These five days together have allow both of you to know each other and go over the first impression... it is why i don't think in the one way wonder...

You have charm her with your character and this is a very strong basis... of course, this method use more time that only physical attraction... but give a more long term result...

I wish you a lot of happiness... and don't forget to post one picture when you will be married... and maybe you can start a family business... i speak about work together, not children :D:D:D

Yep, it seem that it was a very good move to have choice a woman who work in the same sector... this have allow you to have some common interest... and i am sure that you have find this very interesting because the wood working in FSU is very different that by us...

Go on with your report... and again, congratulation

Offline Vaughn

• Trips: No Selection
I got engaged
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 05:31:50 AM »
Irina had other business on Monday and Tuesday and out came the dictionaries and we started to communicate one word at a time. Things were warming up, we started to laugh at what we were trying to explain to each other.

Bravo! I admire other men who brave the barrier with
the book in hand, and that laughter is so indicative of healthy bonding. Tim, if construction starts up there begin to fall off, think Southeast - the market's going crazy here year round. Kudos for your homework and patience, and good luck to you and Victoria.

Offline Timmy K.

I got engaged
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 01:57:00 PM »
 HELLO EVERYBODY AGAIN

A day late with the "rest of the story",  PART II

The day at the zoo was pretty long, they were closing by the time we left, so we decided to go out to eat. Victoria was anxious to see the pictures she took at the zoo so on the subway we went back to infependence square, we went below deck at the mall droped off my computer chip and had them develop 2 sets of pictures. I'll never do that again not 2 sets, it cost about $135 and we did not need 2 sets. I still don't know what I was thinking there. But Victoria got 2 picture albums started anyway one for her and one for me. This was a liitle surprise she did for me, this was the next day, she wanted to pick up the photos and get a couple of woman things for her self so I gave her some money, she came back in less than 1 hour with 2 picture albums and away she went with sorting pictures. I thought that was very sweet of her.  OK Back to eating in the mall, we went to the food mart there to this Ukrainian fast food place. Very good but late that night about 2 am I got sick. I think it was alittle bit of food poisening. It had to be from theses cabbage roll things because Victoria didn't eat them.  WOW, I couldn't keep nothing down for about 36 hours, had the chills, then got a fever and cramps and diharrea.{ Yes I know you all wanted to hear that  he he}  But any way this is where I found out just how much a Ukrainian/ Russian woman really cares for her man. Victoria cared and gave me attention the entire time I was ill like I was a newborn baby. I have never recieved that much attention by any woman EVER !!-- except by my mother when I was born but I don't remember that. She kept me tucked in just right while I was in bed and then during the next day while I was on the couch suffering, the same thing. If I even moved a little bit she was there.  I'll never forget this as long as I live. She cooked up some of these stuffed dumpling things that reminded me a little bit of my mothers homemade chicken and dumpling soup and I got well. Of couse the day after I got well we went walking and I let her buy all of theses little things from the side walk markets. I could not believe how plesed she was of just getting these little things, she got a little music jewelry box for my mother, It was great how well we got along.  We did have 2  arguments, one was very silly and we laughed about it less than an hour later. It was a misunderstanding {language barrier when we were making the bed.} The other was a little more serious. I'll tell you about that one later it was 2 days before we went to Kharkov to meet her parents and friends.

The day I got well Irina got a chest cold and was out for 2 more days, out came the books again. Victoria wanted to go see "SOFIYIVKA" park so on Wednesday 4-20-05 we went there, Irina, her driver, Vicka and I. It was raining that morning and I really did not want to go to some national park  and walk around in the rain but we did anyway.It is a beautiful place with a lot of history and myths. Everyone put on rain suits except me, I just stayed under the umbrlela most of the time. Got alot of pictures there and bought a book about the place. Any way this place is south of Kiev about 4.5 hours away by a town called Uman.  I really enjoyed the ride,  the country really reminded me of my home state of Nebraska, lots of farm land and flat as a pancake and also of Iowa where I am now. The little villages were really something. I couldn't believe it, hardly no wood framed houses.All little stone cottages. What amazed me the most was all of this rich farmland and probably only half is farmed. I guess no one can afford the machinery, and I heard that no one knows who owns alot of it. In this entire 4.5 hour drive I only saw 3 tractors. I know they can grow good vegetables there, and the dirt is as black as it is here in Iowa.

Can any one give me some insight on this? All of that land and not farmed.

OK Final part tomorrow I hope.

Offline andrewfi

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: None (yet)
I got engaged
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 07:52:44 AM »
Ukraine actually has many more tractors and combines than it needs for its agricultural industry. Many are old, but the servicable fleet is very large. Per acre of cultivated land the ratio is higher than, for example, the US. Not all land is farmed, that is becasue they do not need to and because if they did farm all the land they could there would be neither the infrastructure to deal with the output (elevators, port capacity and railroad), nor would there be buyers for the grain, in most years. Per unit of input Ukrainian farming is pretty efficient.

Offline Timmy K.

I got engaged
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 04:58:35 PM »
HELLO EVERY BODY,

I guess I should finish the story, alot later than planned and really no excuse, just a little burnt out with missing Victoria, which way to go with the visa things, alot of overtime on the job and I was sick with a summer time cold for a week. Also just plain tired of spending alot of time on the computer.

OK  Well we went and got the train tickets to Kharkov, 3 round trip tickets one for me , Victoria and Irina Also we got a 3 bedroom apartment through Victorias mother.   At the train station right after we got the tickets I started to get second thoughts. All the fears were hitting me pretty hard, the age difference, acceptance of her parents, what if she leaves me when she gets her green card, will she really be happy with a working man like me and more. After we got the tickets we decided to go out to eat at this carnival place close to the river, there were 2 restaurants there and we ate at one that had a disco and disc jockey and Karaoke. It was pretty  noisy in there. Irina was trying to translate for us but the hearing was difficult for every one.Victoria knew something was on my mind  and asked me about it. While we were trying to converse the subject of dancing came up and Victoria said I love to dance and go out as much as possible. RED FLAG  This is not what she said in her letters and I mentioned this. So as noisy as it was in there and after hearing that the fuel got added to my heavy load of suspences and anxietys. Needless to say I told Irina I needed to tke a walk and think. WRONG MOVE  Victoria did not hear Irina and I was already up and headed for the door for some fresh air. Big insult to Victoria, me getting up and walking out. She followed and needless to say she was alittle mad and said that she thought that maybe I did not love her and so on. The trip back to the apartment was a silent one.  We slept in seperate rooms that night. I thought it was over. Next morning I tried to explain with the books and then I smiled and she smiled at our predicament and realized about an hour later after using one and two and three words with the dictionaries we finally understood what was happening.Again I told her the truth how I was feeling, I even called my dad and asked him how it was with him when him and my mom got engaged. Same thing with my mom I asked her also. Dad said it's natural just go for it and compare all the good and see if it outweighs the bad. Of course the good won.   When we got to Kharkov I had 13 roses for her mom and was welcomed with open arms from every one.Little chicken me was surprised. ha ha ha  What a bunch of beautiful people. Her parents, her cousin and friends and even her half drunk brother who was late and had to be met at the subway station because he was broke and could not find his way so dad went to rescue him.. Me and her mom even did some repairs to the kitchen cabinets together, she brought a hammer and a little handful of nails and we fixed the drawers on the kitchen cabinets. Neither of us could understand a word but we enjoyed this very much. I will never forget this.  Victoria and I did all the preparations for the dinner together we got up at 5:30 in the morning and started cooking up all the food for our simple little engaement ceremony. Her mom and dad came later, her mom blessed us and tied our hands together with a towel and we drank juice from these 2 wooden spoons and exchanged rings.

So now we are going to get married in October in Kharkov and go for a  marraige visa

So long for now  I'll try to get on here more often but I have a future wife to think about, and there are many thiongs I want to get done around my {our}house, which I have been doing.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1949
Total: 1958

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM