It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Just bought a ticket  (Read 6822 times)

Offline Fash

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Just bought a ticket
« on: September 27, 2015, 11:32:31 PM »
Well, I've never been accused of being indecisive.

Just purchased a ticket to Ukraine in March.

Will now spend some time following these instructions... http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=14615.0

Looking forward to the next adventure.

Fash-on

Offline cc3

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Just bought a ticket
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 06:59:32 AM »
Hopefully, you didn't buy it on Aeroflot!

Offline Fash

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:38:20 AM »
Hopefully, you didn't buy it on Aeroflot!

I read some not so spectacular reviews of Aeroflot as well as Turkish Air, so when I saw United with a round-trip from LAX for $780 I pounced.

Hard to believe the fare was that low. Maybe I will fly into a full blown war zone, or maybe not. Whatever happens, the Fash is ready.  :devil:

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »

I read some not so spectacular reviews of Aeroflot as well as Turkish Air, so when I saw United with a round-trip from LAX for $780 I pounced.

Hard to believe the fare was that low. Maybe I will fly into a full blown war zone, or maybe not. Whatever happens, the Fash is ready.  :devil:

A lot can happen in 6 months my friend. When you do start communication with an interesting live woman, strike quick while the iron is still hot or she may not be available come March

Offline BdHvA

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 07:27:15 PM »
A lot can happen in 6 months my friend. When you do start communication with an interesting live woman, strike quick while the iron is still hot or she may not be available come March

Faux Pas makes a good point, I would start in earnest your search on line in early 2016.

See what replies you get. Consider many women are not online from end of December to the second week of January.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline KenInUtah

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »
Whats wrong with Aeroflot?  We did the SVO-LAX route last week and everything was fine and on-time

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 08:35:34 PM »

Yep, an FSU woman would have to have a lot of faith and patience to wait half a year for a man she never met to show up. Also within that time either of them could have a change of heart, especially if the other shows a very bad side. If I were Fash, I'd speed things up and see her soon, even if it's for a few days. He too will be putting half a year of his life on hold.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Fash

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 09:17:20 PM »
Yes, I am pretty busy from now until the New Year. When I saw that ticket price I thought the deal was too good to pass up.

I figured I would take a peek around the sources in the link from the OP and go from there.

The recommendation is to start a couple of months before my departure, and that sounds reasonable to me.

Looking forward to this experience and I have no expectations, we will see what comes of it.

Also, I love the winter and winter activities so it will be interesting to see what's available for fun.

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline LAman

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »

In a couple months you would find a cheaper price from LAX, this past year it was ~$732 and now oil is cheap.
BTW, how many stops on those United flights? (FRA or MUC)

Offline Fash

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 10:39:37 PM »
In a couple months you would find a cheaper price from LAX, this past year it was ~$732 and now oil is cheap.
BTW, how many stops on those United flights? (FRA or MUC)

1 stop in France.

LOL, it would be just my luck to pay too much. But I just didn't think I could go wrong. I saw tickets for less, like you mentioned, but I have never flown Turkish Air and thought I read someones comment about the plane being cramped. I have flown United without any memorably bad experiences, but there is a first time for everything. We will see.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 11:17:35 PM »
My only complaint with Air Chance /France was losing my luggage for a few days in Paris.  But then it was the reason for choosing my current wife, so it wasn't all bad.  Hope you luggage arrives as promised.

Doug (Calmissile)

Offline LAman

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 12:40:27 AM »
1 stop in France.

LOL, it would be just my luck to pay too much. But I just didn't think I could go wrong. I saw tickets for less, like you mentioned, but I have never flown Turkish Air and thought I read someones comment about the plane being cramped. I have flown United without any memorably bad experiences, but there is a first time for everything. We will see.

May I ask how/why United is stopping in France? Maybe you mean 'FRA' , which is Frankfurt, Germany..... maybe???

Only problem with Turkish is the overnight stays, which you would need buy visas. Flights are quick and comfortable( especially from LAX).

Offline jone

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 04:38:42 AM »

May I ask how/why United is stopping in France? Maybe you mean 'FRA' , which is Frankfurt, Germany..... maybe???

Only problem with Turkish is the overnight stays, which you would need buy visas. Flights are quick and comfortable( especially from LAX).

I love that LAX flight on Lufthansa to Frankfurt.  Good first flight to where ever you are going.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Fash

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 06:13:35 AM »

Ha, yes you are correct, it's Frankfurt. I could swear I saw France somewhere. It must have been written on the back of my eyelids I was so tired.

Anyway, I'm just glad I have the ticket. It seemed the biggest problem was that most guys never even sack up and go.

Good to know about needing visas for overnight stays. I think this will be good for my first trip to Europe.

Offline Fash

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 06:15:07 AM »
I love that LAX flight on Lufthansa to Frankfurt.  Good first flight to where ever you are going.

Thank You. Looking forward to this  :-)

Offline LAman

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 08:21:26 AM »

ANY first flights from left coast straight to anywhere in Europe is good in my book and same coming back. I try to AVOID any stops on east coast ( especially with lines in immigration in NY(see below) or flight delays in Chicago).
 Recently, I had a 1.5 hour connection in NY and when I got to room for immigration there had to be 500-600 people waiting in lines. Very important for those who need  to know, there IS a 'quick connection' line used for those who have short connecting flight (1-1.5 hr), took 35 minutes to get through immigration and turn in customs forms before I was able to get my luggage to re-check-in and quickly run to my gate to make flight while they were boarding. On a positive, plane was changed from 737 to 767 so more roomy. Does anyone notice that american airlines charge for EVERYTHING.......the inseat TV's had a spot for CC charging....I slept.

Offline ML

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 08:34:06 AM »
Good advice from LAman.

We try the same thing for Ochka.

For instance, we try to avoid her first landing in a USA city that requires she change planes and go on to final destination.  The first landing is where customs and immigration is involved . . . and where holdups can occur.

Better to have plane change somewhere in Europe, then with direct flight on to final destination USA city.  We do this, even where the cost might be higher.

This way, she goes through customs and immigration at her last stop; so if there are delays, there is no missed connecting flight.

I realize this doesn't work for everyone in every location in USA.

One other note:  USA has customs and immigration stations WITHIN SOME OTHER COUNTRIES.  For instance, Ireland and Canada.

So even there, you can get hung up with time delays and missed flights in going through USA customs and immigration.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
ANY first flights from left coast straight to anywhere in Europe is good in my book and same coming back. I try to AVOID any stops on east coast ( especially with lines in immigration in NY(see below) or flight delays in Chicago).
 Recently, I had a 1.5 hour connection in NY and when I got to room for immigration there had to be 500-600 people waiting in lines. Very important for those who need  to know, there IS a 'quick connection' line used for those who have short connecting flight (1-1.5 hr), took 35 minutes to get through immigration and turn in customs forms before I was able to get my luggage to re-check-in and quickly run to my gate to make flight while they were boarding. On a positive, plane was changed from 737 to 767 so more roomy. Does anyone notice that american airlines charge for EVERYTHING.......the inseat TV's had a spot for CC charging....I slept.

For US citizens I recommend the Global Entry program. You just walk up to a kiosk and answer a couple of questions, scan your finger prints and get a ticket. You hand the ticket to the customs guy and go on your way after getting your baggage. I believe it was about $70 and you have to visit a Customs office in an international airport. Highly recommended to avoid long immigration lines. As an example, in JFK, I am waiting for my luggage about 10 minutes after leaving the plane.

HDL
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:07:49 PM by HoundDaddyLee »

Offline jone

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 12:19:48 PM »
I recommend that you get your passport updated to the Electronic Chip type.  I go to the little kiosk at the side of customs, fill in a couple of questions and I go through expedited customs - for free.  (It must be because of my good looks.)

Just so you know, they scan my passport twice.  Once at the kiosk, which pulls up my data.  And once when I go through the quick line.  The thing that takes me long is waiting for my bags.  (And when I put them under the plane, my dogs.)
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 01:52:30 PM »
Fash, unless you stop in Istanbul overnight, I don't think that you will need a visa on most common United routes from the USA to Ukraine. But, best to call United and get an answer direct from the airline. If if is FRA, that is indeed Frankfurt and you will not need a visa.

The IATA designation for Paris is CDG and no visa is needed there.

Good advice on Global Entry. It requires a background check, a personal interview in which you need to know where you've lived and worked for the past several years. They already know, so make sure you remember well so that your info matches what they have already.

Global Entry also includes the USA's TSA Pre-Check, so no need to apply and pay for both. Global Entry requires that you complete a lengthy online application, and if that is approved then an interview is scheduled. If accepted, you'll let the airline/travel agent know of your status each time you book a flight. The current cost for USA citizens is $100.

It means that liquids can stay in your bag, you don't need to pull out laptops and tables, nor do you have to take off belts and shoes. Plus, as others have mentioned, you avoid the long screening lines at most airports.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:55:20 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Fash

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 02:02:35 PM »
Great advice from everyone.

Thank You.

Offline JayH

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 03:36:24 AM »
Bump-update?
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 05:30:26 PM »
Bump-update?

The OP hasn't been logged in since 4th October.  With luck he'll come back after the trip to let us know how it went - but I won't hold my breath.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 04:45:51 AM »
Well, I've never been accused of being indecisive.

Just purchased a ticket to Ukraine in March.

Will now spend some time following these instructions... http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=14615.0

Looking forward to the next adventure.

Fash-on

Well it's now March, just wondering how you got on in your search OP?
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541321
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701