It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Education of Children in USA vs. CCCP  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Education of Children in USA vs. CCCP
« on: August 27, 2019, 06:06:50 PM »
This is one RW's account of contrasting the childhood education she received in CCCP schools vs. the education her children receive in American schools.  She believes the Soviet system had its problems yet was better than the current American system.   

I have heard some of this before from my wife.   

http://thefederalist.com/2019/08/27/childhood-schooling-in-soviet-union-better-than-u-s-public-schools-today/

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: Education of Children in USA vs. CCCP
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 06:31:31 PM »
I'll have my wife read this later.

However, I think it is mostly a case of comparing apples and oranges because different educational systems stress different things.

There is more than one way  to 'skin a cat', etc.

But as to one point, I am usually amazed to realize how good my basic English skills and math skills are when I got my early education in 'one room school houses.'

Amazed because the teacher had to cover 8 or so grades and all the subjects.
How did she ever have time to keep me on the right track ?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:40:21 PM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 06:59:43 PM »
I had a slightly different perspective...
I lived 3 years in Sevastopol, and enrolled both my children in the "elitny" downtown K-6 Academy
I served on the school board, and was helping several Ukrainians who were working on a US AID grant to make our school 100% compatible with core EU standards
My wife and I were volunteering our time interpreting German and English EU educational materials into Russian and helping with US AID report filing
I was also the equivalent of a PTA association "boss" for BOTH my daughter's classes, which meant I had to be responsible to collect monthly dues from parents, etc, and organize school "fix-it work parties"
buy gits for teachers, organize parties, etc

worst experience of a Crimean school, having to go every morning with an empty garbage bag and collect empty vodka bottles and hypodermics thrown over from the apartment next to the school the night before

Crimean school was one grade ahead in coverage compared to a public school in Texas for the equivalent grade
this is based on when my children came to America and attended an American school straight from Crimea

my oldest daughter now attends Rice University full time and is a BioChemistry major but is planning on going into medical school in 2 more years
youngest wants to be either an electrical engineer or computer science engineer
and is going to community collegel and high school simultaneously, at age 16 has already completed college Calculus Level I and II

American high school in Texas are racially segregated based on "AP" or "Advanced Placement" and non-AP, students who fall below AP test scores and grades
AP is almost all middle and upper class white and Asian, and non-AP is mostly Black and Latino and poor whites

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:04:50 PM by krimster2 »

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 07:44:53 PM »
The article is inaccurate.  The Soviet education system was modeled on the American system, not the German system.  I noted Soviet attitudes in the article.

I don't think the Soviet system was superior.  There was an emphasis on conformity, which doesn't exist in the US educational system.  They were better at math, at least for those now in their thirties, as they didn't use calculators.  But I think overall, the Soviet education system was inferior because it was too politicized.

But, then again, when I note posters here believe that what I post is google searched, rather than the result of reading broadly, perhaps the US education system does need improvement.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 07:53:31 PM »
She believes the Soviet system had its problems yet was better than the current American system.   

I have heard some of this before from my wife.   

I've heard the same from a number of FSU women. Lots of pressure to succeed. Of course some education is based on what the government wants the people to learn and some corruption was involved with bribing teachers for good grades.

I have no problem believing the Soviet system was better when talking to the ladies but I always remind them the Communists never provided the environment for their citizens to truly succeed.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1887
Total: 1898

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM