It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The Chicken in Kiev  (Read 37430 times)

Offline Davo

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: The Chicken in Kiev
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2019, 06:26:43 PM »
I spent several months on fdating and dmnotify last year. I noticed my views were down from two years ago, but I still had a good reply rate, despite my pictures being not very good quality.

Online dating started falling into place once an ex girlfriend showed me the messages she was receiving from local men.... “Hi, how are you today” etc... 90% of men opened with a boring line like this and wonder why they don’t get replies.

A good first message challenges a woman to invest time and thought  in her response and stands out from the 100’s of other messages. I typically draw on Australian stereotypes... The Steve Erwin / Crocodile Dundee stereotype that portrays Australia men a tough and fearless, Australian animals etc...  but in a humorous way. I’ll give you some examples of a messages that got me replies on fdating.

“Hello Svetlana, I have a question that only a Russian woman with your obvious intelligence can answer.... if a Russian bear and an Australian drop bear fought, which one would win?”

Svetlana has never been sent a message like this so she’s interested to see where this goes. She googled drop bears and realises that it’s a urban legend and a prank that is often played on tourists, she also sees I have a sense of humour. The photoshopped pictures online are terrifying, so she replies “of course an Aussie drop bear will win😜”

I follow up with “Svetlana, when we are trekking in the Australian bush together you will be safe with me by your side. Usually Vegemite spread behind your ears repels drop bears, but a much better way is to passionately kiss an Australian man when a drop bear is near, this will make you immune to attack😉”

In two messages I’ve shown a sense of humour, put the vision in her head of being with me in Australia and flirted in a none direct way.

I have a handful of different versions..... I’ve also used this message and combined both countries stereotypes so she can see I know a little about Russia.

“Hello Svetlana, Are you a strong Russian woman who can stop a galloping horse?..... wrangling wallabies on foot is tiring!!!😜”

This might seem childish, but I had a 50%+ reply rate last year with this type of opening message.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:39:57 PM by Davo »

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2019, 06:52:06 PM »
I also did something like Davo in terms of humor in my first message and every message thereafter.

Only 1% or so didn't like it; and, of course, it wouldn't have worked out with them anyway.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Boomstick77

« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2019, 11:15:21 PM »
Just because I’m such a sweetheart of the week I’ll post some pics of me and my honey...by the way trench..I got the cheap girl...yes...the places I rolled my eyes at..isn’t this what you wanted...I can show ya you know.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2019, 01:56:50 AM »

Right I've deleted my Fdate profile and created a new one, with a slightly different front profile pic. First day I got about 25 views, not all in the FSU and one letter from a lady claiming to be in Kiev,

chances are she'd tell you it's Kyiv - as Boethius patiently explains to you .. it's what the UK calls Ukraine's capital ..

she didn't look my type, slightly tanned so didn't follow up on that one.

Curious ?

Do you think the tan means she's been on holiday ...with another guy / another guy's money ?

BTW Trench : 

From an earlier post of yours where you state:

Skype is of course necessary if doing VO and less so if doing VM so if I pick up a VO I would of course use Skype though I know it doesn't often tell whether there is natural chemistry there.

More Twaddle: Listen to Trenchie's 'advice' at your peril ..

Video chat is a useful medium for both of you to see if there is a mutual attraction and you might avoid wasting time meeting someone that you KNOW you'll not want to meet in person

Offline Blighty

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2019, 03:51:31 AM »
chances are she'd tell you it's Kyiv - as Boethius patiently explains to you .. it's what the UK calls Ukraine's capital ..

More Anglophobic hatred from msmob. My wife finds it interesting that the English language has its own spellings for cities such as 'Kiev', 'Warsaw', etc. Not a problem for her as she enjoys being Anglophile!  :cluebat:

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2019, 05:38:48 AM »
Just because I’m such a sweetheart of the week I’ll post some pics of me and my honey...by the way trench..I got the cheap girl...yes...the places I rolled my eyes at..isn’t this what you wanted...I can show ya you know.

Ok Boomstick you've got my attention, tell me more :D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2019, 05:48:58 AM »

Curious ?

Do you think the tan means she's been on holiday ...with another guy / another guy's money ?

BTW Trench : 

From an earlier post of yours where you state:

More Twaddle: Listen to Trenchie's 'advice' at your peril ..

Video chat is a useful medium for both of you to see if there is a mutual attraction and you might avoid wasting time meeting someone that you KNOW you'll not want to meet in person

Mobe, your obviously a guy who lets his employees do the work and spends all his time at leisure in Sochi, Georgia, Cyprus, etc, etc and just watch the money flow in of other people's hard work. For those of us that can sit around Skyping all the time for the joy of it, it's a different matter.

I have grown up knowing Kiev as Kiev, that I am happy with and used to so I stick with it. The fact that Ukraine has decided in recent years to abandon it and use the slightly differently pronounced and spelt Kyiv is down to them. Yes I know Kiev is the Russian transliteration and Kyiv the Ukrainian.

I don't see why I should have to suddenly change calling it what I call it which is very similar sounding and spelt because of political correctness/change by the Ukrainian government. I carry on doing what I am happy calling it and stuff it, I'm happy doing that so, so be it.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2019, 06:16:45 AM »
The PERFECT example of Trench in action...

You are the guy trying to date UA women and probably telling them you will not change how to spell a word.

The pronunciation is different...the emphasis..you Muppet...

BTW..the Russian guys are equal partners..even though two non FSU chaps...one being me..have funded the project..

Yup...a Muppet

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:18:47 AM by msmob »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2019, 06:32:00 AM »
The PERFECT example of Trench in action...

You are the guy trying to date UA women and probably telling them you will not change how to spell a word.

The pronunciation is different...the emphasis..you Muppet...

BTW..the Russian guys are equal partners..even though two non FSU chaps...one being me..have funded the project..

Yup...a Muppet

I don't mean your partners, I mean your employees, yes that's right all those underlings you know doubt regard as inferior to even be thought about doing all the work. Your of course in Georgia or whatever exotic location you seem to change to next on a weekly basis so are not there to do the work, nothing of substance of course. Seems to me that you see your roll as put the money in, the underlings do the work and you just sit back and go off continually holidaying while the cash cow keeps putting out. 

Offline msmob

« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2019, 06:38:36 AM »
Muppet

All who work with me...work WITH me and share equally in the profits..

As ever, you are clueless

Offline ML

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2019, 07:04:20 AM »
Mobe, your obviously a guy who lets his employees do the work and spends all his time at leisure in Sochi, Georgia, Cyprus, etc, etc and just watch the money flow in of other people's hard work. For those of us that can sit around Skyping all the time for the joy of it, it's a different matter.

I have grown up knowing Kiev as Kiev, that I am happy with and used to so I stick with it. The fact that Ukraine has decided in recent years to abandon it and use the slightly differently pronounced and spelt Kyiv is down to them. Yes I know Kiev is the Russian transliteration and Kyiv the Ukrainian.

I don't see why I should have to suddenly change calling it what I call it which is very similar sounding and spelt because of political correctness/change by the Ukrainian government. I carry on doing what I am happy calling it and stuff it, I'm happy doing that so, so be it.

Now here you really  are totally off base.

How do you spell the capital of China and how do you pronounce it?

And now justify your different actions regarding how you spell the capital of China vs how you spell the capital of Ukraine.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:06:54 AM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2019, 07:36:57 AM »
More Anglophobic hatred from msmob. My wife finds it interesting that the English language has its own spellings for cities such as 'Kiev', 'Warsaw', etc. Not a problem for her as she enjoys being Anglophile!  :cluebat:

Kyiv is the name of the city in the English language.  The non-English spelling is Київ.  Nothing to do with being Anglophobic or Anglophilic.

Kiev is the English version of Киев, which is the Russian name for the city.  Calling it Kyiv is acknowledging and respecting a nation's determinism for it's own city.  Or just do what you do because you can't be bothered to respect the wishes of others.

Offline msmob

Re: The Chicken in KYIV
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2019, 08:27:23 AM »
 Good evening, Blighty..!

I can only assume wifey served the vodka early? !)

A little visit the the BRITISH Embassy website in Ukraine will be instructive for you....and the other Muppet, Trenchcoat....

http://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/british-embassy-kyiv.uk

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:34:59 AM by msmob »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2019, 09:43:56 AM »
Now here you really  are totally off base.

How do you spell the capital of China and how do you pronounce it?

And now justify your different actions regarding how you spell the capital of China vs how you spell the capital of Ukraine.

Well they changed it to Beijing quite a time ago now so realistic to expect people to call it that. If it's a recent change then it can't reasonably be expected of people to change their habits on other people whim.

I personally always thought Peking sounded more Chinese and quaint.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »
Muppet

All who work with me...work WITH me and share equally in the profits..

As ever, you are clueless

You mean their all laid out on the beach with you! Where do all the profits from your business come from :-\ maybe a UWO would reveal ;D

Offline msmob

Re: The Chicken in KYIV
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »
 Why would the Uni of Western Ontario be interested?

Even when SC is lying on the beach, she earns.... ''Where did you buy that Bikini ?''

'SC answer: ''What colour would you like?''

You would not understand enterprise... Like most things..they are beyond you...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:58:33 AM by msmob »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »
Well they changed it to Beijing quite a time ago now so realistic to expect people to call it that. If it's a recent change then it can't reasonably be expected of people to change their habits on other people whim.

It's not a whim.  It is a transliteration, as is Beijing.

The change to Kyiv was made in 1991, so not exactly "recent".

This post was composed without the aid of google.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:09:01 AM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2019, 10:26:05 AM »
It's not a whim.  It is a transliteration, as is Beijing.

The change to Kyiv was made in 1991, so not exactly "recent".

As said before Chicken Kiev is still Chicken Kiev not Chicken Kyiv even by Kievians/Kyivians.

And so what are we supposed to call the famous Peking Duck?

Offline msmob

Re: The Chicken in Kyiv
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »
As usual, Trench is wrong....AGAIN...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-d12328627?m=19905

At least TWO Kyiv restaurants...one called Chicken ...KYIV..

Trench.... Greeks and G.Cypriots still insist on calling Istanbul 'Constantinople'....Do you have Greek / Cypriot roots..?

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2019, 12:16:01 PM »
I spent several months on fdating and dmnotify last year. I noticed my views were down from two years ago, but I still had a good reply rate, despite my pictures being not very good quality.

Online dating started falling into place once an ex girlfriend showed me the messages she was receiving from local men.... “Hi, how are you today” etc... 90% of men opened with a boring line like this and wonder why they don’t get replies.

A good first message challenges a woman to invest time and thought  in her response and stands out from the 100’s of other messages. I typically draw on Australian stereotypes... The Steve Erwin / Crocodile Dundee stereotype that portrays Australia men a tough and fearless, Australian animals etc...  but in a humorous way. I’ll give you some examples of a messages that got me replies on fdating.

“Hello Svetlana, I have a question that only a Russian woman with your obvious intelligence can answer.... if a Russian bear and an Australian drop bear fought, which one would win?”

Svetlana has never been sent a message like this so she’s interested to see where this goes. She googled drop bears and realises that it’s a urban legend and a prank that is often played on tourists, she also sees I have a sense of humour. The photoshopped pictures online are terrifying, so she replies “of course an Aussie drop bear will win😜”

I follow up with “Svetlana, when we are trekking in the Australian bush together you will be safe with me by your side. Usually Vegemite spread behind your ears repels drop bears, but a much better way is to passionately kiss an Australian man when a drop bear is near, this will make you immune to attack😉”

In two messages I’ve shown a sense of humour, put the vision in her head of being with me in Australia and flirted in a none direct way.

I have a handful of different versions..... I’ve also used this message and combined both countries stereotypes so she can see I know a little about Russia.

“Hello Svetlana, Are you a strong Russian woman who can stop a galloping horse?..... wrangling wallabies on foot is tiring!!!😜”

This might seem childish, but I had a 50%+ reply rate last year with this type of opening message.

Thanks Davo, been thinking this over. I guess there could be room for a hit of humour to kick things of and see how it goes. Normally any sort of humour than the sort that occurs naturally/randomly doesn't really grab me. I think anyone going that reminds me of the dating scene here where women want the guy to make a prize fool of himself for their entertainment just turns me off. I guess though a bit of humour like this is ok though as it's doesn't descend to that level which I hear a lot of FSW don't like anyway. Not sure what I could do for the UK though.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2019, 02:00:48 PM »
As said before Chicken Kiev is still Chicken Kiev not Chicken Kyiv even by Kievians/Kyivians.

And so what are we supposed to call the famous Peking Duck?

I wasn't referring to chicken kiev (which is a dish of Russian, not Ukrainian origin, based on French influences).  I was referring to the city.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2019, 02:16:15 PM »

I wasn't referring to chicken kiev (which is a dish of Russian, not Ukrainian origin, based on French influences).  I was referring to the city.

Well Kyiv is just the Ukrainian spelling of Kiev in English. If Chicken Kiev is of Russian origin then maybe Kyiv shouldn't be called Kyiv at all but something completely different of Ukrainian origin perhaps?

Offline Boethius

« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2019, 02:55:18 PM »
Kyiv has a different pronunciation than does Kiev, as ML pointed out.  Furthermore, Kyiv is the transliteration the Ukrainian government wants, just as the Chinese government wants Beijing, not Peking, and the Indian government wants Mumbai rather than Bombay.

As for the culinary argument, it's irrelevant.  Crab Rangoon was invented in the US, not Myanmar (Rangoon is now known as Yangon).  General Tso's chicken is named after a real Chinese warrior, though the dish is also American.  Russian dressing was invented in America, and is practically unknown in Russia.  Similarly, Russian tea cakes are an American invented Christmas cookie unknown in Russia. 

Well Kyiv is just the Ukrainian spelling of Kiev in English. If Chicken Kiev is of Russian origin then maybe Kyiv shouldn't be called Kyiv at all but something completely different of Ukrainian origin perhaps?

Chicken kiev is of French origin - invented by a French chef who lived in Russia.

The name "Kyiv" comes from neither Russian nor Ukrainian, but from one of the three founders of the city, Kyi, one of the leaders of the Polianians, a Slavic tribe (ETA - this is according to the Primary Chronicles).  Their language was Proto-Slavic, so neither Russian nor Ukrainian.  The city has had the same name for over 1,500 years.  There is no reason to change it.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:24:56 PM by Boethius »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2019, 03:08:19 PM »
Kyiv has a different pronunciation than does Kiev, as ML pointed out.  Furthermore, Kyiv is the transliteration the Ukrainian government wants, just as the Chinese government wants Beijing, not Peking, and the Indian government wants Mumbai rather than Bombay.

As for the culinary argument, it's irrelevant.  Crab Rangoon was invented in the US, not Myanmar (Rangoon is now known as Yangon).  General Tso's chicken is named after a real Chinese warrior, though the dish is also American.  Russian dressing is invented in America, and practically unknown in Russia.  Similarly, Russian tea cakes are an American invented Christmas cookie. 

I preferred Bombay, sounds much more dramatic and exotic.

None of those dishes you mention I am at all familiar with. I really do think people should stick with what they are happy with, never mind what governments want, it's what people want to do that counts, their free will.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2019, 03:16:02 PM »
If you know educated Ukrainians who speak English well, they will tell you they prefer "Kyiv" because they are Ukrainians.

It doesn't really matter what you find the "best".  It's what the people of that region desire that should govern.  It's disrespectful to not consider their wishes.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1872
Total: 1883

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM