It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Crimea joining Russian Federation  (Read 60769 times)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Crimea joining Russian Federation
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2014, 06:35:48 PM »

I am part New Jersey Sicilian (on my mother's side) and that looks like my family. My daughters tell me I look like Tony Soprano.

I hope not - he's dead!  :o

lordtiberius

« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »

"Putin's plan for Crimean Tatars is clear", Borys Wrzesnewskyj

Comments by Borys Wrzesnewskyj, Timothy Eaton Memorial Church, Toronto, Canada, 31 May 2014.

- 0:25 Mustafa Dzhemilev receives Poland's first human rights award, Lech Walesa Solidarity award, Warsaw, Poland
- 1:04 Mustafa Dzhemilev meets US President Barack Obama
- 1:30 Situation in Crimea is worsening
- 1:58 Русское Единство (Russian Unity). Сергей Аксёнов (Sergey Aksyonov) criminal connections, Crimean criminal gangs
- 3:00 Annexation of Crimea by the Russian Federation
- 3:16 Raw video footage of Russians abducting Crimean Tatar human rights activist Reshat Ametov. Ametov was found tortured and murdered two weeks later.
- 3:56 Stalin's ethnic cleansing policy.

Video sponsored by the Chair of Ukrainian Studies University of Toronto.

Event sponsored by
Chair of Ukrainian Studies Foundation
St. Vladimir Institute
The Temerty Family
Timothy Easton Memorial Church
Borys Wresznewskyj

Timothy Eaton Memorial Church
http://www.temc.ca

Deportation of the Crimean Tatars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportat...

Crimean Tatars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_...

Крымские татары, Кримськi татари, Mustafa Dzhemilev, Mostafa Cämilev, Мустафа Джемілєв

lordtiberius

« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
This explains why Crimeans are so nutty:

Offline Wayne

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »
Russian Federation passed the Dima Yakovlev Law which bans citizens of USA from adopting children from Russia. Now that Crimea is taken, that law also applies to Krim.

Some weeks ago, I read a story about a 16 year old girl who was that last child from Crimea adopted by an American family.

Years ago when I first started writing to women from other countries, I was involved with a woman from Simferopol. Her mother ran an orphanage in Simferopol. I got some first hand information about these children. I had contact with an American family who had previously adopted several children from Ukraine.

So it seems that a small percent of families who abused their adopted children have ruined it for everyone.

There is a local family here who adopted two sisters when they were teenagers. These two girls became friends with our daughter. The family runs an old folks home and basically uses these sisters as free labor to help care for these old people. The girls birth mother is alive, but she is a drunk and unable to care for her daughters.

It seems like instead of this Dima Yakovlev Law they should have insisted on more complete investigations of US families wanting to adopt Russian children. Perhaps they could have had a trial period where the US family lives in Russia with the child for a certain length of time before the adoption becomes final? From the Russian side, they could make sure that the prospective family knows about any medical or mental problem that the child might have.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #179 on: July 11, 2014, 10:08:09 AM »
Wayne, I think you are getting your head all screwed up by your newly formed Russian connection.

There are some adopted children abused in USA . . . no matter what the previous citizenship of the children.

But the percentage of such abused adopted children in USA is miniscule.

Now, look at the percentage of orphaned children in Russia who are abused . . . it will be many times the percentage of such in USA.

Natural born children of USA parents (and parents around the world) have been working in family businesses since the beginning of time.

Why should adopted children not also be part of this family work????
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline jone

« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »
It was never about US families abusing adopted children from Russia.  It was about keeping Russians in Russia, plain and simple.  My niece is from Arkhangelsk.   My sister and her husband adopted her when she was 18 months old.  She graduated high school this year and is a beauty!
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Wayne

« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2014, 11:54:22 AM »
The sisters were 14 and 15 years old when they entered USA. The American couple did not send the sisters to school. The state law says you must attend school until you are 16 years old or have graduated from high school.

These sisters are in their early 20's now. They do not have:

driver's license
state I.D. card
social security card
green card

Their English ability has not improved much because they were isolated from society.

However, I think they are still much better off than they would have been if they were put out on the street at 16 in Ukraine. At least they have a roof over their head and something to eat.

Offline ML

« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2014, 11:58:47 AM »
However, I think they are still much better off than they would have been if they were put out on the street at 16 in Ukraine. At least they have a roof over their head and something to eat.

Now you are getting it.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2014, 09:27:54 AM »
My wife says that tourists are down by 75% this summer. The beaches are empty. Art galleries are all closed. She sold only one piece.

But the weather is hot and sunny; there is a lot of fresh fruit. The fish are biting, and you can have the whole lake to yourself.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2014, 10:57:43 AM »
My wife says that tourists are down by 75% this summer. The beaches are empty. Art galleries are all closed. She sold only one piece.

But the weather is hot and sunny; there is a lot of fresh fruit. The fish are biting, and you can have the whole lake to yourself.

Sounds like the pro-Putin bunch can get some good deals on hotels and such in Crimea.  Who will be the first to go and then report back?

Offline Wayne

« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2014, 11:49:46 AM »
I will probably be the only one on this forum to venture there this summer, but we won't be staying at any hotel. Our new place is a short walk to the sea. We will travel around by car. Planning a camping/fishing trip. Might eat in restaurants a few times. Going to visit with wife's family.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Wayne

« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2014, 10:51:37 AM »
I found this interesting information about the banking problems:

By Steve Stecklow, Elizabeth Piper and Oleksandr Akymenko

SIMFEROPOL Crimea (Reuters) - Outside a high-rise building on the outskirts of this disputed region's capital, a steady stream of frustrated residents exited a government office, clutching folders of bank records and shaking their heads in disgust.
    "They are not returning the money," complained Margarita Pobudilova, a 77-year-old retired factory worker who for months has been unable to access more than $3,000 of her life savings.
    Ten months after Russia invaded this Black Sea peninsula and seized it from Ukraine, the financial fallout is still being felt. Thousands of ordinary citizens have little or no access to their funds. Losses for Ukrainian banks continue to mount as billions of dollars worth of loans they issued in Crimea go unpaid. Lawyers for the banks are preparing legal actions against Russia, which confiscated many of the banks' buildings, equipment and cash
Meanwhile, Crimea has been thrust into a kind of technological time warp: Most ATMs no longer accept non-Russian bank cards; foreign credit cards can't be used to buy things. Most non-local mobile phones can't receive a signal. And even if they could, calling other Crimeans is complicated: Most of the peninsula's residents recently had to get new mobile phone numbers because Ukrainian services were cut off.
    The banking and phone chaos are another front in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia.
    In Crimea, which has been part of Ukraine for 60 years, Russia has basically blown up the existing banking system, forcing Ukrainian banks to close, banning the Ukrainian currency and replacing the region's retail banking network almost overnight. The resulting economic turmoil has shuttered some businesses and complicated life for thousands, forcing people to deal with a Kafkaesque bureaucracy to try to get their money returned.
For all the havoc Russian President Vladimir Putin's conquest has caused, many living here don't blame him for their hardship. In interviews, residents accused Ukrainian banks and the government in Kiev of stealing their money. That distrust indicates – at least for now – a victory for Russia in the propaganda war and suggests that Kiev's chances of regaining the peninsula soon are slim.
    The international community has condemned Russia's annexation of Crimea, with the United States and the European Union imposing economic sanctions on Russian individuals, companies and banks. Russia has retaliated with its own sanctions and support for pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine.
    Andriy Pyshnyy is chairman of the management board of Ukraine's state-owned Oschadbank, which until March had 296 branches in Crimea. He described how one day they were taken over by Russian banks. "In the evening (our) outlets work," he said. "In the morning, a new bank is opened and just the name is changed to RNCB Bank." Russian National Commercial Bank is one of at least 30 Russian banks that have rushed in to fill Crimea's financial vacuum
Many in Crimea – where average monthly wages last year were less than $400 – still can't access their Ukrainian bank accounts.
    The situation was exacerbated in April when Putin offered Crimeans who had leased their cars through Privatbank, Ukraine's largest bank, some unusual financial advice.
    Toward the end of a live television broadcast in which Putin answered viewers' questions, he dipped his hand into a folder and read out this one: "I hired a car on lease from Privatbank. It will take me only two years to repay the loan," he said. "Privatbank no longer operates in Crimea. What am I supposed to do?"
The president's answer: "Please use the car and don't worry."
    The remark may have been related to an ongoing feud between Putin and Ihor Kolomoisky, one of Privatbank's largest shareholders. Russia has accused Kolomoisky of funding Ukrainian battalions fighting the separatists.
    In any case, following Putin's suggestion, thousands of individuals and companies that had borrowed money from Ukrainian banks stopped repaying their loans.
    "If the ruler of the country told them not to pay, why would they pay?" asked Alexander Dubilet, chairman of Privatbank, which had lent more than $1 billion in Crimea.
    In all, Ukrainian banks had loaned Crimean businesses and individuals about $1.8 billion at the time Crimea was annexed, according to Ukraine's central bank.
    Pyshnyy of Oschadbank says "99.99 percent" of its loans in Crimea - which totaled more than $500 million - are now delinquent
The surge in bad loans has made it more difficult for Ukrainian banks to repay Crimean depositors, according to an official with Ukraine's central bank. The fact that the Russians also seized many of their branch offices and records didn't help, either. "To function properly, we need ... access to our branch network, our outlets, our ATMs, to our documents, our files," Pyshnyy said.

FROZEN FUNDS
    To help Crimeans, Moscow has been compensating depositors with accounts at Ukrainian banks through a fund that insures Russian bank deposits. According to the Fund for the Protection of Depositors in Crimea, which is part of Russia's Deposit Insurance Agency, as of Nov. 6 it had paid out more than $500 million to 196,400 depositors.
    The compensation is capped. Yevgenia Bavykina, Crimea's new deputy prime minister in charge of economic affairs, told Reuters last month that depositors were owed more than $425 million in part because the fund has a limit of about $15,000 per bank account.
    She said the fund still hopes to repay depositors the rest of their money by selling property confiscated from Ukrainian banks. Crimea's government also is urging people who took out loans to repay them to the deposit protection fund, rather than to Ukrainian banks. Expressing confidence they will comply, she said, "People here are notable for their decency and their volunteering
Bavykina said the fund has compensated most people who have applied. In thousands of cases, however, it has had difficulty verifying exactly how much money was on deposit, she said.
    With no Ukrainian bank branches left operating in Crimea, the required verification records often aren't available, frustrated Crimeans say.
    Pobudilova, the retired factory worker, had invested about $3,600 in a one-month deposit at Ukraine's Kyiv Rus Bank in February. By the time her investment matured, the Russians had invaded Crimea, and Ukrainian banks were being forced out. She said she has no access to the money because the bank blocked her debit card.
    She applied to the deposit protection fund, but was told it could not compensate her unless her investment contract with her bank was extended. The fund advised her to write to Kyiv Rus Bank.
    Her grandson, Vladimir, said she tried to contact the bank. "They did not even want to talk to her," he said.
    Kyiv Rus Bank declined to comment
Pobudilova said she had planned to give the money to her grandchildren but now doesn't know what to do. "The fund is saying I am supposed to receive the extended contract from the bank," she said. "I'm 77 years old. I'm not able to deal with that."

"I WILL LOSE LOTS OF MONEY"
    In another case, a retiree named Iryna, who declined to provide her last name, said she has no access to more than $100,000 on deposit at Privatbank and has received no satisfaction from either the fund or the bank.
    She said her problems began with her passport. She has lived in Crimea for 40 years but had replaced her passport two years ago in Ukraine's capital, Kiev, after the pages split apart. The new passport stated she lived in Kiev.
    After the annexation, she said, "I realized I was in trouble." She said she spent months trying to change her passport to list her address in Crimea, eventually going to court
When she tried to withdraw her money from Privatbank, she said the bank only offered her a five-year savings agreement that paid 7 percent annual interest – much less than Ukraine's annual inflation rate. She said she refused. Privatbank said it could not comment on the specifics of her case without more information.
    By the time she won her court case and obtained an official document stating she is a Crimea resident, she said she had missed the deposit protection fund's deadline for applying.
    The fund is now offering her only partial compensation. "I will lose lots of money," she said. "And I need that money for my son's education."
ANY CHEATING?
    Legally, Ukrainian banks are required to repay Crimean depositors because Ukraine does not recognize the Russian annexation, said Oleksandr Pysaruk, first deputy governor of the National Bank of Ukraine, the country's central bank. But he said the hundreds of millions of dollars in delinquent loans make that difficult
If you're liable on the savings but the loans don't get repaid, you've got a capital hole," he said.
    Ukrainian banks' policies towards their Crimean customers vary. Some give priority to Crimeans who have moved to other parts of Ukraine. But only 19,150 people out of a population of nearly two million have migrated, according to Ukraine's Ministry for Social Policy. As for delinquent loans, Privatbank is continuing to charge interest; Oschadbank's chairman says his bank isn't. "We want to understand the position of the borrowers," said Pyshnyy.
    Executives with state-controlled Ukrgasbank in Kiev, which had 11 branches in Crimea, said any of its customers there could travel to other parts of Ukraine and withdraw their deposits. By August, depositors had withdrawn 80 percent of the $25 million in funds on deposit.
    Oschadbank has a similar policy of allowing customers to access their funds elsewhere in Ukraine, and "is the only bank in Ukraine where the individuals' funds and placements are guaranteed by the state for 100 percent," said Pyshnyy. He said the bank carefully checks records submitted by customers, especially those who still reside in Crimea. "We want to be sure about any cheating of the bank by customers."
    Pysaruk, the central bank official, said some Crimeans have tried to double-dip by seeking compensation from both the Russian fund and Ukrainian banks. "We don't have numbers, but they were not just random occasions," he said
Privatbank, which in Crimea had 321,000 clients with deposits, has suspended all of its bank accounts there. Crimeans who have moved elsewhere in Ukraine can receive part of their deposits back, Dubilet said. For those still living in Crimea, "we're asking our clients to wait some time until we have solved these issues iRUSSIAN PRESSURE
    How long that will take remains unclear.
    The Crimean protection fund said it has paid out more than $250 million to 109,300 Privatbank customers. But Privatbank and other banks do not know which of their depositors have been reimbursed or how much.
    Privatbank chairman Dubilet said the Russians seized more than $150 million of the bank's real estate and equipment, $30 million from its safes and another $10 million from its ATMs. In April, Privatbank sold its Moscow subsidiary, saying it was the victim of "unprecedented political pressure" by Russian authorities.
    Dubilet said Privatbank hasn't yet calculated its total losses in Crimea. He said its lawyers are considering legal action against Russia in several jurisdictions. Meanwhile, a Crimean court ruled this week that Privatbank owes local depositors $232 million and should pay them back.
Privatbank's problems in Russia and Crimea appear to be related to a nasty spat between Putin and Kolomoisky, a billionaire businessman who is one of the bank's largest shareholders.
    In March, after Kolomoisky was appointed governor of a region in eastern Ukraine, Putin called him "a unique imposter." In telling Crimeans not to worry about car loans owed to Privatbank, Putin added, "If Mr. Kolomoisky and Mr. Finkelshtein don't want your money, it's their problem." Boris Finkelshtein is the former head of Privatbank's Crimea operations
Russian authorities later launched a criminal case against Kolomoisky, issuing an arrest warrant, confiscating some of his property in Russia and accusing him of organizing and funding Ukrainian forces in the separatist conflict. The case remains open.
   At a press conference in March, Kolomoisky referred to Putin as "completely unstable, completely mad. He has this messianic urge to restore the Russian empire to the borders of 1913 or the Soviet Union to the borders of 1991."
    Kolomoisky didn't respond to a request for comment
Dmitry Peskov, Putin's spokesman, said the president had no conflict with Kolomoisky. "The only thing is that Mr. Kolomoisky is sponsoring units of extremists in the eastern regions (of Ukraine). This is the problem, and this is the reason why he's being treated in Russia as a guy sponsoring extremists."
    As for Putin's suggestion not to repay loans to Privatbank, Peskov said the president was referring to the fact that the banks' branches were closed. "That's the meaning: because if you don't have any branch to make a payment then you don't pay."
    The tensions between Kiev and Moscow will make it harder to solve problems like the one Ukraine's central bank faces. The Russians did not confiscate the central bank's building in Simferopol, but the bank has no access to about $250 million in Ukrainian currency in its vault.
    Pysaruk, the first deputy governor, said the bank has held discussions with Russia's central bank and while the Russians indicated they might be willing to buy the building and return the cash, no agreement has been reached.
Calling the annexation of Crimea "a land grab," Pysaruk said Russia should be responsible for all costs, including compensating Ukrainian banks for their losses. "The simplest way, if you ask me, would be for the Russians to pick up the check for everything," he said.
(Additional reporting by Natalia Zinets in Kiev,; Maya Nikolaeva in Paris and Michael Shields; in Vienna; Edited by Simon Robinson)

Offline JayH

Crimea joining Russian Federation
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2014, 01:17:05 AM »
Crimea should be returned Ukraine.
Більше читайте тут: http://tsn.ua/politika/rosiyskiy-politik-zaklikav-povernuti-krim-ukrayini-397306.html

Crimea should be returned Ukraine. This was stated by Russian politician Grigory Yavlinsky, founder of "Apple". In his view, it is necessary to create between Russia and Ukraine "safety belt" with international observers regulate economic relations with trade and supply of gas and abandon the Crimea, "that the problem is not Russia pursued a lifetime." "We need to say so, not our Crimea", - said Yavlinsky said, adding that the only way to prevent war. To do this, consider policies should make legitimate referendum on the status of Crimea organized by Ukrainian laws. He also said that Russia is hovering over two global threat - the war and the collapse of the economy. To avoid this, it is necessary to begin negotiations with the Ukraine, to withdraw from the territory of the country of mercenaries and techniques to achieve security and public.
Більше читайте тут: http://tsn.ua/politika/rosiyskiy-politik-zaklikav-povernuti-krim-ukrayini-397306.html
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Boethius

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline JayH

« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »
Since Russia invaded Crimea , Ukraine suffered a loss of at least 1 trillion USD
Більше читайте тут: http://tsn.ua/groshi/okupaciya-rosiyeyu-krimu-vililasya-ukrayini-zbitkami-u-ponad-trilyon-griven-petrenko-398157.html

"Currently available figure formed earlier losses relating to the Crimea. There are more than a trillion USD. This 1 trillion 80 billion USD, and clearly understand the need to count the losses on the Eastern Ukraine," - said Petrenko. Clarifying the damage caused to the state in the Donbass, the minister said that "such a calculation is not performed because physical access to those facilities in order to assess the real damage, no."
Більше читайте тут: http://tsn.ua/groshi/okupaciya-rosiyeyu-krimu-vililasya-ukrayini-zbitkami-u-ponad-trilyon-griven-petrenko-398157.html
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JayH

« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2015, 03:49:55 AM »
January 21, 2015, 12:40 Kiev

Sevgil Musaeva-Borovik, "Just say that Crimea - Ukraine is not enough"

What do you think of Crimea will return to Ukraine?

- You know, recently I realized that the Crimea will be back! Required! Before there were more pessimistic views on what is happening there.

- And as a result, such a change of views took place?

- I was at a conference in Lviv, which tells about the Crimea. I was approached by a very young student, and we chatted with her for a long time, then said that the Crimea would return sooner or later. She compared the Crimea with the phone, which was left without its only charger. The phone was taken away, and the appropriate charging him there but the same. Very simple, but very accurate analogy.

http://ru.krymr.com/content/article/26802074.html

Offline Boethius

« Reply #192 on: July 19, 2015, 10:44:59 PM »
I had an interesting couple of days this week, as I had a few dinners with some famous Ukrainian artists in town researching a project.  One of the researchers on the team, who is from Western Ukraine, told me that thousands of Crimeans have moved there recently, for a variety of reasons.  I specifically asked if the Crimeans were Tatars and Ukrainians, and was told no, they are of all ethnicities.  I was told things in Crimea are very tough, unless one has a relative outside Crimea who can help, and that many have given up waiting for their lives to improve, for a variety of reasons.

The person who told me this had no reason to fabricate it, and I know he wasn't lying.

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2015, 11:18:04 PM »
I had an interesting couple of days this week, as I had a few dinners with some famous Ukrainian artists in town researching a project.  One of the researchers on the team, who is from Western Ukraine, told me that thousands of Crimeans have moved there recently, for a variety of reasons.  I specifically asked if the Crimeans were Tatars and Ukrainians, and was told no, they are of all ethnicities.  I was told things in Crimea are very tough, unless one has a relative outside Crimea who can help, and that many have given up waiting for their lives to improve, for a variety of reasons.

The person who told me this had no reason to fabricate it, and I know he wasn't lying.

I believe what you said is correct.  Another forum had a recent video made in Yalta.  My wife watched the video and was interested because she lived there for a number of years and still has an apartment there.  The video showed the waterfront boardwalk all cracked and deteriorating.  Also there is a huge fence on the waterfront that was open until recently.   The woman interviewed indicated something to the effect "Russia wanted Crimea, but brought no money.  The place is falling apart.  If things do not change, we want to reunite with Ukraine."
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline JayH

To Many in Crimea, Corruption Seems No Less at Home Under Russian Rule
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2015, 12:49:25 AM »
Freedoms of speech and assembly have largely evaporated, as has a free and independent news media, but that is not what upsets people here. It is the familiar demons, government corruption, venality and incompetence, that have infuriated many.

A half-dozen cabinet members and other senior officials have been either arrested on corruption charges or fired for incompetence in recent months, and a Kremlin audit released in June found a huge chunk of highway funds missing. Two nights before his beach appearance, Mr. Aksyonov spent more than three hours answering a battery of questions live on television, a rare event, trying to explain it all.

Aside from the political shambles, Crimea has been isolated from the outside world by Western sanctions. Credit cards from abroad do not work. Cellphone signals drop constantly, and app stores are often inaccessible. Many mainstream web services like Gmail are frequently blocked, too.

University degrees issued here are no longer recognized in the West, prompting an exodus of thousands of foreign students. Even minor international travel links remain suspended. The Turkish government stopped a ferry service across the Black Sea, as well as an attempt by a Chechen airline to fly from Simferopol, the Crimean capital, to Istanbul with a pit stop in southern Russian.

“We have ersatz education, ersatz mobile phones, ersatz banks. As a result, we live in a kind of isolation here,” said Vladimir P. Kazarin, a university professor. “Even other Russian systems perceive us as something foreign. We are not entirely integrated as part of Russia.”

To Many in Crimea, Corruption Seems No Less at Home Under Russian Rule

GURZUF, Crimea — On a sweltering summer day, Crimea’s burly prime minister, Sergei Aksyonov, stood in a black suit on a contested public beach in this resort town, once a famous retreat for artists like Anton Chekhov.

The prime minister, who was appointed by Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin, tried to speak over the din created by about 100 jostling residents all yelling at him simultaneously. An occasional voice soared above the rest to hurl abuse like: “There were scoundrels in Ukraine, there are scoundrels in Russia. They all stay here!”

Mr. Aksyonov pleaded repeatedly for calm and for time, trying to reassure everyone that Russia’s annexation of Crimea last year would improve matters eventually, but that nothing would change overnight. “I am not a magician who can make everybody happy in a few minutes,” he said.

Seventeen months after Mr. Putin deployed Special Forces troops to seize Crimea from Ukraine, prompting the deepest confrontation with the West since the Cold War, life on this Black Sea peninsula remains in disarray.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/14/world/europe/in-crimea-a-disputed-beach-is-a-symbol-of-corruption.html?_r=0

Offline Wayne

« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2015, 10:11:57 AM »
My wife says that mail is delivered once a week. I am trying to figure out how to send an express mail package to her. Nothing works!

The cost of food, utilities, taxes, drugs and everything keeps going up.

Offline southernX

« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2015, 08:42:09 PM »
My wife says that mail is delivered once a week. I am trying to figure out how to send an express mail package to her. Nothing works!

The cost of food, utilities, taxes, drugs and everything keeps going up.

wayne it seems life has greatly improved for your wife under russian rule then ?
how does she feel about all this improvement in her daily life there ?

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #197 on: August 18, 2015, 09:59:39 PM »
wayne it seems life has greatly improved for your wife under russian rule then ?
how does she feel about all this improvement in her daily life there ?

SX

What Wayne just described is a great improvement there? I remember Wayne saying his wife is happy with Russia taking Crimea. Wayne, has your wife changed her mind about the new management? I remember you said she's building a house in Crimea. Still have plans to live there?

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2015, 11:37:50 AM »
The dacha was almost complete before the revolution began. The yard is planted with fruit trees, grapes, strawberries, flowers, etc. There is no grass to cut! You can walk to the Black Sea and see it from the second floor windows. Across the street is a very large vineyard that streches for miles.

Offline ML

« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2015, 05:52:02 PM »
Wayne, if you don't mind my asking, how long has it been since you and your wife have spent lengthy time periods together?

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541013
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1882
Total: 1893

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM