It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Getting Over The Hurdles - The First Year of Marriage  (Read 18709 times)

Offline TigerPaws

• 16 years together & still very much in love
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Getting Over The Hurdles - The First Year of Marriage
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2006, 08:34:36 AM »

Ken,

My lady discovered she was very uncomfortable going back to Russia the first time, she was treated like a tourist by some of her family and most of her friends to the point of almost being hostile towards her, She was more than ready to come home after a couple of weeks but stayed the full month she had planned on. This seems to be a pattern as I have been told similar stories by other RW's and their husbands.

Offline bbernard

« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2006, 12:23:15 PM »
Ken wrote:

I think we will invest in a gameboy of some sort to help kill the time for him.

Ken,

I just got back from a trip to Ukraine with my 8 year old son. It was the best out of the three trips I have taken to Ukraine in the last 6 months! Anyway, I purchased a portable DVD player, an 8 hour battery and a hand held video game (includes 15 different games and plugs directly into the unit). It cost me around $200.00 for everything and it was worth its weight in gold! It kept him from getting bored and we got to watch what we wanted during flight instead of the lame movies the airlines show :)

bbernard

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2006, 07:59:34 AM »
Thanks bbernard! I didn't think about the DVD player. Can you give me  specifics of the player and the game thing you got. Much appreciated.

Just been bouncing around on the internet looking at prices for the trip. :hairraising: Unbelievable how much things have jumped over the last year. Wonder if I can fit us all in a suitcase and have it shipped over?:P

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline bbernard

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2006, 09:43:15 PM »
Quote from: catzenmouse
Thanks bbernard! I didn't think about the DVD player. Can you give me specifics of the player and the game thing you got. Much appreciated.

Just been bouncing around on the internet looking at prices for the trip. :hairraising: Unbelievable how much things have jumped over the last year. Wonder if I can fit us all in a suitcase and have it shipped over?:P

Ken

Ken,

The portable DVD is made by Coby and the model # is TF-DVD7100. It's got a 7 inch LCD screen with and switch that changes the source from DVD output or input from a different source. THe power supply is rated between 110-240volts and we used it in Ukraine straight from their outlets. Of course with an adapter. It has built in speakers or headphone jacks for two sets of headphones. The Game pad is made by Polaroid. Unfortunately it doesn' have the model number one it but I did purchase it at Wal-mart. It takes three AA batteries. Unfortunately the battery that is shipped with the DVD player has a charged life of only 2.5 hours so I opted to buy a 8 hour battery from "batterygeek.net" model BG-9-12-60. Both batteries provided plenty of life for the entire trip. THe extended battery also came with a 110-240 volt power supply.

I'm sure this will keep Sergei from becoming too bored.

Good Luck,

bbernard

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2006, 07:29:33 PM »
Quote from: bbernard
Ken,

The portable DVD is made by Coby and the model # is TF-DVD7100. It's  got a 7 inch LCD screen with and switch that changes the source from  DVD output or input from a different source. THe power supply is rated  between 110-240volts and we used it in Ukraine straight from their  outlets. Of course with an adapter. It has built in speakers or  headphone jacks for two sets of headphones. The Game pad is made by  Polaroid. Unfortunately it doesn' have the model number one it but I  did purchase it at Wal-mart. It takes three AA batteries. Unfortunately  the battery that is shipped with the DVD player has a charged life of  only 2.5 hours so I opted to buy a 8 hour battery from  "batterygeek.net" model BG-9-12-60. Both batteries provided plenty of  life for the entire trip. THe extended battery also came with a 110-240  volt power supply.

I'm sure this will keep Sergei from becoming too bored.

Good Luck,

bbernard

bbernard,

Thanks Much! I'll check this out.

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline dwfunk

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2006, 08:18:12 PM »
Quote from: catzenmouse
The biggest thing so far (in our young marriage) has been the language issues. Saying something that is perfectly understandable to me but was either misunderstood or understood in a way that caused a problem. 99% of these were easily cleared up with some talk but a couple took days to get over.

"Have I told you yet today that I love you?"  That phrase to her means yesterday.  Her response is always, "Why you want say it yesterday?"  I think the "yet" is the problem.  So then the phrase "Have I told you today that I love you?" gets the response, "Yes, you may."

We've developed a very quick reaction of letting the other person know when either of us does not understand what the other says, and so far we've managed to have fun and not get frustrated in working through what was meant.  She has refused to let me drop using what she calls "big word"  because she wants to look it up, understand it and begin using it.

A humours incident, that occurred several times and is now an inside family joke, she will grab a Russian-English dictionary and spell the English word for me.  However, she also has a Russian-German dictionary and sometimes she grabs it by mistake, and she is spelling the German word for me.  I know German so of course I usually know what she is attempting to say.  So now I tease her and sometimes ask her if it's German or English she is trying to tell me.  We knew early in our correspondence that we would have some difficulties and when we encounter them we are able to work them together and that earns quality time brownie points.

-david

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2024, 12:07:52 PM »
At the suggestion of another member here I'd like to hear about the issues that have come
up in the first year of marriage to a FSUW. I'll be adding the issues that we have come across
as I get a chance.

The biggest thing so far (in our young marriage) has been the language issues. Saying something that is perfectly understandable to me but was either misunderstood or understood in a way that caused a problem. 99% of these were easily cleared up with some talk but a couple took days to get over.

Ken

Smiley Girl had far more issues than Angel Eyes did. She was a 13-14 year old girl.
Everything is dramatic and tears were plentiful. Angel Eyes was didn't suffer as much.
She found a couple friends, started a garden. I bought her a sewing machine and I
we made road trips to look at something interesting almost every weekend. I took
her with me to appointments. I dropped her off at the Walmart or a place to shop
and she would shop until I finished.

In the first year we had a wedding, got preggers, did a ton of USCIS paper work
and traveled to every interesting place within 4 hours (one way) in every direction.
She rode with me 2-3 days per week. I had a cousin with his family 2 hours away
and we visited them for 2-3 days every month. They had kids, horses and quad
runners.

KEEP her busy is my primary advice.
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2024, 12:11:05 PM »
Language has been a problem,

I didn't get Angel Eyes into English courses until we moved to Cheyenne Wyoming. They didn't
have anything in the town we lived in Norf Dekody.
FSUW don't do vague

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2024, 12:32:38 PM »
[user=300]M&M[/user] wrote:
Well, you know how men are babies when it comes to getting sick. We like to be taken care of, and the one time I've been sick in the past year, my wife did a wonderful job of taking care of me.

(In contrast to when I was married to an AW, who gave me zero sympathy, and implied I was a slacker for being sick.)

It almost makes me want to be sick more often! ;)

Chuck in D.C.

Some years ago, I told my wife that I had pain in every joint in my body and
that I could feel my heartbeat in my head. It was quickly diagnosed by her as
"the man flu". It was covid, we all got it. I was given a hundred apologies
(or more) when Angel Eyes joints were painful as well.

Mini Me got a fever and had pink cheeks for maybe two days. Then he was
running around the house at only 60mph instead of his usual 70. Soon he
was back to 70mph and no worse for wear. 

My sister sent me her O2 Sensor from when she had it weeks earlier. It
never went below 97%. (You want it to read 95 or higher).

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 12:37:14 PM by 2tallbill »
FSUW don't do vague

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: Getting Over The Hurdles - The First Year of Marriage
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2024, 06:00:51 PM »
Early one, I got the impression that my now wife was not a real caring person.  Not about me . . . but she seemed cold to some people's problems.

So I assumed that when I got ill, she would not take real good care of me.

But I was surprised to find out that she does take very good care of me when I have various health isssues . . . which are increasing in number and frequency.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541296
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 3166
Most Online Ever: 12701