It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: turkish airlines ?  (Read 12595 times)

Offline southernX

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
turkish airlines ?
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:26:15 PM »
anyone used  them has experience with them ?

they have a lovely short hop flight into ukraine that would work  nicely for me , however there safety rep is   , not that great

anyone have experience with them etc

thanks
SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: turkish airlines ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:09:31 AM »
Flying with them end of month. Have never had any problems. Excellent food on long haul flights. Maybe you should just fly with Pegasus??? )))
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:50:23 AM »
Wouldn't fly them as they are almost 50% owned by the Turkish government and I refuse to support the current Turkish government. For the same reason, we have refused to visit Cuba, though it's a cheap sun destination for Canadians.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline wallm

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:11:22 AM »
I fly LOT out of JFK to KBP/ODS. They fly out of ORD as well. Of course it depends where you live. I really like LOT. Considering security situation in Turkey, I wouldn't fly them. YMMV.

Offline msmob

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:17:26 AM »
I lived in the 'Greek part' of Cyprus and holiday in Turkey

Turkish Airlines are HEAVILY subsidised and offer 30 kg baggage in economy - plus good meals  - so I recommend them

Aeroflot is in a similar situation - if I took such a principled stance - there's lots of instances I'd pay MUCH more to get to SC

Offline Bounder

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:45:20 AM »
Turkish Airlines has a very good reputation these days. You can't go wrong with them. Not sure where you are flying from, but if it's Istanbul, Turkish Airlines flies out of the re conveniently located Internatial Airport. Pegasus, on the other hand, flies from the distant Sabiha Gokcen airport. Also, Pegasus nickels and dimes you with everything. Personally, I had a bad experience with Pegasus and will seek to avoid them in the future. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. You could, however, do worse than Turkish Airlines!

Offline Wayne

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:53:01 AM »
Turkish Airlines used to have flights from Istanbul to Simferopol, but not since it was taken. They also have a direct flight to Chicago. Their service is OK but not great. The terminal in Istanbul is fairly new and well organized.

Offline Bounder

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken, I think Maxx has recent experience flying with Turkish Airlines?

Offline msmob

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 10:50:37 AM »
Bounder - I fly Turkish about 20 times a year ;)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »
I have flown Turkish airlines in the past, and had no problems.

However, under current political and security system concerns, I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole.  It is only a matter of time before one of their planes explodes in the sky.

Kurds, ISIS . . . take your pick.

- - - - -

Wifey will not fly Aeroflot and a faculty friend of hers from Greek Cyprus will not fly Turkish . . . as they recently discussed.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »
Also Turkish Airlines out of Istanbul is on the UK/US list of airlines/airports that will not allow you to fly with your electronics in the cabin. At least that is what I read on CNN last week.

I have flown them and enjoyed the experience and the Istanbul airport is very nice (before the terror attack)

HDL

Offline msmob

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 07:51:39 PM »
Also Turkish Airlines out of Istanbul is on the UK/US list of airlines/airports that will not allow you to fly with your electronics in the cabin. At least that is what I read on CNN last week.

You are not allowed to fly inbound to UK airports -  not sure of US specifics - with ipads / tablets / laptops.

There is a school of thought that this ban is actually commercial - to counter the popularity of Istanbul and the Gulf states as hubs ?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/21/us-electronic-devices-ban-flights-tsa-airports

Your kit is taken at the last minute by Turkish and put in the hold

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/25/tried-take-laptop-flight-happened/[url]

I have flown them and enjoyed the experience and the Istanbul airport is very nice (before the terror attack)

There have been terrorist attacks at Domodedova ( Moscow), Glasgow(UK), Brussels ( Belgium), Shanghai and Beijing (China), New Orleans, Fort Lauderdale ( USA)   -  if one is using them as a transit airport - you are behind the security - one is statistically much safer. 

IF one is worried about an attack - it seems - don't fly anywhere, with any airline....:( 

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 08:36:31 PM »
IF one is worried about an attack - it seems - don't fly anywhere, with any airline....:(

These are not words typically uttered by intelligent persons.

Suppose a person is worried about being bitten by a poisonous snake that only exists in Brazil.

Would you say "If you are worried about being bitten . . . then don't go anywhere."
Of course not.  You would say "Don't go to Brazil."

The general idea is to minimize risks, even if they cannot be eliminated.

So consider the risks at your destination, and the risks incurred in getting to your destination.

I would say the risks are much higher in certain destinations.
I would say the risks are much higher flying into and out of certain airports.
I would say the risks are much higher flying on certain carriers.

I am always amazed at how many people understand zero about probabilities (and confuse it with possibilities); even as many probabilities have to be estimated.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline wallm

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 08:54:02 PM »

Hey watch it. I have to defend my buddy moby.

Well, I can't.

Some folks can't comprehend minimizing risks and expect things to remain the same even though they are not the same in this world. :rolleyes:

I would never fly Turkish, any US Airline internationally and definitely not any Western European airline. I would also avoid certain airports in Europe.

I fly LOT out of JFK to Ukraine, not Turkish. I don't worry about the nice food on Turkish as I get on LOT at 11:30 PM and wake up as the plane is about to land in Warsaw. LOT gives me a certain level of comfort that Turkish with recent happenings can't.

Call me nuts if you like but I have been doing this "selective" flying ever since 9/11 and I was there in New York 2 blocks from WTC and I used to take PATH train to WTC station everyday from NJ for 3 years. So, I have my reasons.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:57:05 PM by wallm »

Offline msmob

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 11:36:53 PM »

They are words issued by someone who has lived under the threat of terrorist attacks for a lot longer and who knows that statistically he is more likely to die from being bitten by a poisonous snake in Ireland...

My current signature is a clue... 

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:35:38 AM by msmob »

Offline msmob

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 11:46:13 PM »

Call me nuts if you like

Another word comes to mind ....

but I have been doing this "selective" flying ever since 9/11 and I was there in New York 2 blocks from WTC and I used to take PATH train to WTC station everyday from NJ for 3 years. So, I have my reasons.

So, you let them win .... Get on with your life, man ))

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 06:51:44 AM »
You are not allowed to fly inbound to UK airports -  not sure of US specifics - with ipads / tablets / laptops.

There is a school of thought that this ban is actually commercial - to counter the popularity of Istanbul and the Gulf states as hubs ?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/21/us-electronic-devices-ban-flights-tsa-airports

Your kit is taken at the last minute by Turkish and put in the hold

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/25/tried-take-laptop-flight-happened/

There have been terrorist attacks at Domodedova ( Moscow), Glasgow(UK), Brussels ( Belgium), Shanghai and Beijing (China), New Orleans, Fort Lauderdale ( USA)   -  if one is using them as a transit airport - you are behind the security - one is statistically much safer. 

IF one is worried about an attack - it seems - don't fly anywhere, with any airline.... :(

Just like the no fluids through the security line. It forces people to pay the outrageous prices for bottles of water/soda from the airport shops. Same thing with removing shoes. It is what I call "security theater", the illusion of safety. I agree with the above statement. If you want safety, don't fly. But I will not let my work or personal laptop/tablet out of my hands. I use my Fire Tablet to read on flights. :)

HDL
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:55:55 AM by HoundDaddyLee »

Offline wallm

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 08:33:38 AM »
If you want safety, don't fly.
This kind of logic reminds me of my son talking when he was 13. People like me weigh risks and make decisions for themselves already fly. smh......

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 10:57:13 AM »
This kind of logic reminds me of my son talking when he was 13. People like me weigh risks and make decisions for themselves already fly. smh......

First off f-you.

My point was not against you. If you don't want to fly Turkish Air, don't. I won't because I would not be able to fly with my laptop/tablet in the cabin. My point is these rules are in convenient to the customer and make money for someone. Not being able to bring my own bottle of water through security is a case in point.

There is risk in life. I don't skydive. But I do SCUBA dive. I am sure there are many on here that are afraid of water and think diving is dangerous. If you think I am acting like a 13 year old, that is your right and you can piss off

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »
I've flown Turkish Airlines twice. I've nothing but good experiences with them.

Most favorable airline company, Austrian Airlines. Least will be Air India. Horrible experience with that company.

Lufthansa got me stranded in Pulkovo (St. Pete) for 11 hours. Aeroflot delayed me 3/4 hours in Novosibirsk, causing me to miss my connecting flight (Lufthansa) from Moscow - LA (due to Beslan siege). Had to buy a new flight ticket home.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:06:50 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline southernX

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 06:18:52 PM »
Thanks to all for the input

My preference is to  minimise the risk & avoid turkish airlines and instanbul, due to the numerous issues as touched on above by posters

SX

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 09:37:49 AM »
I think Ukrainian International Airlines has a direct flight from JFK to Kyiv. One-way tickets are about 1/2 the cost of round trip. I believe the service on this long flight is OK. This avoids entering any other country.

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 05:48:27 PM »
I had Lufthansa flight to Moscow by way of Lufthansa out of O'hare. For no discernible reason to me I was transferred to  Lot to and same on to Moscow.I was promised that my luggage would be waiting for me in Moscow. Guess what. Moscow promised me I would receive it the next day. 10 days later I was told it was waiting for me in Chebosky Russia terminal - my destination. Only 1 item was missing.

Offline danieln_2000

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »
I had a good experience with them. However, if you go through IST, try and get flights to allow extra time to get to your connection. I had a planned 2 hour connection. In between planes I had to go through security in IST. And, then run to the next gate. I was the last passenger to get on the plane.

Offline southernX

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 09:33:25 PM »
we have booked the more conventional route with one of the majors

too many issues and risk improbabilities to fly that route atp

SX

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541401
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2948
Most Online Ever: 12701