It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 302486 times)

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #1100 on: October 09, 2019, 06:31:35 AM »
Hey Maxxx,
The business sounds really good.  If you haven’t already I’d suggest you really pin your ears back and jump into it four square.  It is  one of the first times you appear to be content with something. Doing this may shave weight and add in every other aspect of your life. 

Regarding your buddy.  I realize your buddy hasn’t  asked you for money but if you and him put more time in together and you decide he is a worthwhile individual I’d consider helping him out if you had the means  there may be no better use of money    Just a thought   
Fathertime!

Always hoping for all good things to happen to maxx, and all ex-pats abroad trying to make ends meet.

Having said that, I completely disagree with the above. I haven’t seen anything posted that convinced me proper planning had been exercise. A kilo there, a pound there, hours to make lard here, skin and boil tomatoes over there, experiment with freezing avocados another day, etc. does not make a ground-breaking opportunity to march head-on to fully devote and invest your lifeline.

You folks may as well push the guy over a cliff.

Sorry maxx, not raining on your parade but just not buying it! I hope the folks stayed over long enough to help you clean up and wash the dishes. There’s also ‘that’  :(
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1101 on: October 09, 2019, 07:05:21 AM »
Sorry maxx, not raining on your parade but just not buying it! I hope the folks stayed over long enough to help you clean up and wash the dishes. There’s also ‘that’  :(

If I understood correctly what has been done so far was just a feasibility study.  I would think a true business plan will develop from there...

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1102 on: October 09, 2019, 08:10:44 AM »
If I understood correctly what has been done so far was just a feasibility study.  I would think a true business plan will develop from there...

Even more reason, IMHO. One, there are far more significant things maxx should've first attended to. There are major, key business parameters that should've been completed. Local suppliers (farmers, not markets. Where/who/how to outsource certain aspects of 'production'? Cost evaluation/comparison studies, etc..), local ordinances/regulations (licenses, health permits, additional capital sources (funding, if necessary). These and many others are your baseline costs (overheads). You want that to be as consistent as possible. Cranking/ sampling one 'product' for any test marketing is not a god idea unless that's all you're offering - to a limited audience / all/most of whom you know ). Secondly, the 'learn as you go' approach is NOT one should invest in on a limited capital.

Not even touching the state of the 'partner'.

Again, IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:23:41 AM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #1103 on: October 09, 2019, 08:20:07 AM »
There is restaurant in the downtown area with a Golden Arches. Only is is inverted and looks like a yellow 'W'. It is the exact same symbol as Mc D's except it is upside down.

I've seen a lot of that going on in the FSU. Businesses there using similar logos with a twist or similar names like "King Burger" instead of "Burger King" to give customers they are an American business.

Maxx, you need to stand out. Dress up in a clown costume and do some commercials on tv advertising your food. It worked for Ronald McDonald.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1104 on: October 09, 2019, 08:52:10 AM »

I haven't read GQ's response yet. Basically you are right BC. It is just a 3 month long till the end of the year feasibility study. I looked over what I can spare out of my emergency fund and figure I can spare $4000 to $5000 and $300 a month out of my pension. If it develops into a money pit without a counter balance of income I will cut it off. Meanwhile I am having fun.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:00:52 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

Re: Did you guys know I am a honorary Texas Ranger?
« Reply #1105 on: October 09, 2019, 08:59:51 AM »
Did you guys know I was an honorary Texas Ranger?

Sworn in by a Texas Ranger Chaplin in an Exxon gas station in Bells, Texas in 2014.
Interestingly, for me at least, my partner Michael in this business is 100% Apache Indian.

This is response to Billy's suggestion for promotion...

Offline fathertime

« Reply #1106 on: October 09, 2019, 09:00:40 AM »

You folks may as well push the guy over a cliff.

Based on what I have read he is already heading towards the cliff. 

I'm sure it would be a messy start because nothing much works according to plan. Maybe the cliff is coming either way, so overall, I like the idea that Maxx would die with his boots on rather than fade away with a vodka bottle by his side in the late night.  The spirit and energy he could garner from an adventure such as he is describing seems to me to be a big positive.  That is my opinion. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline fathertime

« Reply #1107 on: October 09, 2019, 09:04:14 AM »
t.

Having said that, I completely disagree with the above.
I really don't think my words of encouragement require a 'completely disagree'.  Of course as a part of jumping in four square he would need to plan. 

You brought up some valid concerns, and I'd say the biggest x factor is a critical partner who is suddenly inaccessible which I would fine both disturbing and aggravating. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1108 on: October 09, 2019, 09:06:27 AM »

Even more reason, IMHO. One, there are far more significant things maxx should've first attended to. There are major, key business parameters that should've been completed. Local suppliers (farmers, not markets. Where/who/how to outsource certain aspects of 'production'? Cost evaluation/comparison studies, etc..), local ordinances/regulations (licenses, health permits, additional capital sources (funding, if necessary). These and many others are your baseline costs (overheads). You want that to be as consistent as possible. Cranking/ sampling one 'product' for any test marketing is not a god idea unless that's all you're offering - to a limited audience / all/most of whom you know ). Secondly, the 'learn as you go' approach is NOT one should invest in on a limited capital.

Not even touching the state of the 'partner'.

Again, IMHO.

My plan is to use the food to get the help. Monday at the party I met the "Soya King" of Georgia (with his own restaurant) and my winter apartment's caretaker's husband who is about to open his forth hotdog place. Both people want to help me with all the ins and outs of this business. And I will help them where I can. In short, there is a method to my madness. And I am having fun.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1109 on: October 09, 2019, 09:09:03 AM »
Based on what I have read he is already heading towards the cliff. 

I'm sure it would be a messy start because nothing much works according to plan. Maybe the cliff is coming either way, so overall, I like the idea that Maxx would die with his boots on rather than fade away with a vodka bottle by his side in the late night.  The spirit and energy he could garner from an adventure such as he is describing seems to me to be a big positive.  That is my opinion. 

Fathertime!

I like your spirit. Remember, I am having fun.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1110 on: October 09, 2019, 09:38:01 AM »

My plan is to use the food to get the help. Monday at the party I met the "Soya King" of Georgia (with his own restaurant) and my winter apartment's caretaker's husband who is about to open his forth hotdog place. Both people want to help me with all the ins and outs of this business. And I will help them where I can. In short, there is a method to my madness. And I am having fun.

Good to know you're having fun, maxx.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1111 on: October 09, 2019, 08:48:14 PM »
I'd say the biggest x factor is a critical partner who is suddenly inaccessible which I would fine both disturbing and aggravating.

Fathertime!

That was my thoughts as I woke up this Thursday morning. Will I not see him going on three days come this evening? The parties on Sunday and Monday were a complete success. A green light to get the move on.

Edited to add: If I don't hear from him today or tomorrow I am going to shelve the idea until next year. In the meantime I should learn what I can about this business and business conditions here in Batumi. And find someone else to work with if I do decide to go into business. I talked with Alex from the gym yesterday and Saturday would be the best day to throw another party and test another dish. But I am not going tell this to Michael unless he contacts me first.   
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:34:32 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1112 on: October 09, 2019, 10:39:28 PM »
Good to know you're having fun, maxx.

Sometimes it is fun. I like the creative part of it. And because of it I get out and meet people.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1113 on: October 10, 2019, 12:56:19 AM »

And because of it I get out and meet people.

This morning I met a young Georgian woman at a business. She asked me over a cup of coffee if I can help her improve her English. Then I asked her if she can help me improve my Russian. So I'll have something to do besides the business.

About noon here. No sign of Michael.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1114 on: October 15, 2019, 09:22:10 PM »

I've got a good recipe and an easy way of making tortillas. All the food turned out great!

In the second photo the lady in the front, Diana, said she could help me in investigating various costs such as rent. She does sales work going out to food service businesses so she used to talking with people. She showed me photos of her unmarried mom. Beautiful woman! Unfortunately she lives in Italy and won't be returning soon.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:40:08 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1115 on: October 15, 2019, 11:50:15 PM »

I am using this thread to make notes.

My previous recipe for making tortillas was all wrong.

The old recipe the tortillas were prone to cracking.

The new recipe:

6 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of salt
1/4 tablespoon of baking soda
Mix thoroughly 

Add 1 cup of melted lard, shortening or vegetable oil. (I am going to try using butter)
Mix together

Add 2 cups of boiling water

Knead the doe thoroughly for at least 3 minutes
Place in a plastic bag and let sit for 20 minutes

Depending on the size, 6, 8 or 10 inch tortillas make golf ball to tennis ball size doe balls and flatten.
Flour up your rolling board and rolling pin
Roll out the tortillas
Cut into circles using a cake ring
Place them on a very hot pan
Wait until they bubble
Flip and cook the other side
Put them into a container lined with a slightly damp towel

This should make
35 6 inch tortillas
25 8 inch tortillas
15 10 inch tortillas

Chipotle tortillas are 10 inches in size

The tortilla below was made from doe that had been stored in the refrigerator overnight. It came out perfectly fine.

Flexible, soft and tastes good! BUT, a little doey. I'll continue working on it. Try making it with butter and see what happens if I leave out the baking soda.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 04:53:15 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1116 on: October 16, 2019, 12:00:36 AM »

Diana is a vegetarian with the exception of eating shrimp and some sea food. I have encountered a number of young Georgian woman who are vegetarians. Men, not so much. I am thinking I should talk to the 'Soya King' of Georgia about a making soy burger 'meat' for me. The Soya King has a place next to the gym where he makes soy products. He is the only one in Georgia that does this. I met him the other day at the Tex-Mex party at the gym. He also has a restaurant that sells his product that I want to check out.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1117 on: October 16, 2019, 08:36:58 AM »

1.25 pounds of butter from grass fed cows costs 90 cents or 72 cents a pound.

Offline ML

« Reply #1118 on: October 16, 2019, 09:10:01 AM »
Maxx, try a recipe for blini.
Much simpler I think, and never cracks.

http://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/260537/easy-blini-russian-pancake/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:12:06 AM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1119 on: October 16, 2019, 06:43:28 PM »

My previous recipe for making tortillas was all wrong.

The old recipe the tortillas were prone to cracking.

Okay Maxx. I've identified a problem. Only one out of the three women are giving thumbs up. You need 100% participation in the thumbs up category.

Another problem is you are missing a tortilla warmer on that table. All authentic Mexican restaurants have that. It keeps the tortillas steaming hot and being steaming hot will prevent the cooling and cracking of tortillas. Your old recipe may have not been perfect but if you don't have a tortilla warmer, your new recipe won't be perfect when you serve the tortillas cold. Tortilla warmer in the link below. Paypal me $50 if you like my advice. I also take Mastercard and Visa.

http://www.amazon.com/Tortilla-Warmer-combination-Container-Microwave/dp/B0756C62QG
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1120 on: October 16, 2019, 11:57:40 PM »

BillyB, as Meatloaf sang, "Two out of three an't bad." Indira, the girl on the left ate the most by far. Diana (in the middle) told me she had eaten 20 minutes before I arrived. It took me longer to get everything cooked and organized than I thought. I am learning to do the food prep better.

I got another party scheduled for the gym this Saturday. I made a Chipotle size burrito last night. The tortillas are 10 inches in diameter but I think a 11 inch tortilla would be better. And then wrap it in aluminum foil.

Besides tortilla bowls and maybe a warmer I will be checking out how make a taco salad bowl in Mesa corn flour. Something that is deep fried.

I bought this deep frier last year. I've used it to fry chicken. Chicken fried in lard without the breading, is perfect for the Ketosis diet. Especially fried with the skin on.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:00:19 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1121 on: October 17, 2019, 01:00:32 AM »

Crime Wave in Georgia

I've had more than one expat tell me how safe Georgia is. Western women have remarked how safe they feel walking the streets alone at night. I see semi valuable things left out that anyone could take like construction supples, bicycles and potted plants. Outside stores are refrigerators loaded with drink left open. A Ukrainian woman who visited me told me how surprised she was with the lack of car alarms. In Ukraine her father's garage was broken into and his car radio was stolen. I rarely hear of a crime happening here.

This is Alex.

He is Russian. Born in Saint Petersburg. Came to Georgia with his mother when he was 12 years old. A merchant marine, now co-owner of the gym I go to. He is married to a Georgian woman. They have two boys age 4.

Alex told me last week his bike had been stolen. He had left it in the apartment building hallway unlocked. It had been stored there unlocked for the past 4 1/2 years. Here in Georgia the entrances to the apartment buildings usually don't have locked doors. Often they don't have doors! In Alex's building there is a security camera. He seen on the tape an older guy come in and take his bike. Probably to swap for some booze.

So about a week ago Alex goes to the bike 'workshop'. Workshop is what they call repair places here. When my car needs a repair, it goes to the workshop. Alex decided he needed to buy a newer used bike. Found a nice mountain bike for 450 GEL ($150) when someone comes into the workshop looking to sell Alex's old bike!

Alex had on his phone the video of the guy stealing his bike. The guy quickly left.

Alex decided to buy the other one and now has two bikes.

A celebration was in order. A little vodka, some coffee and snacks. Smoked fish is popular here.

On the way home Alex loses his phone. But he has hope it will be returned to him. I've lost my phone twice and both times it was retuned to me. The first time the taxi driver returned it directly to me. I gave him a 30 GEL tip. The second time the taxi driver (It is said half the male population of Tbilisi drive cabs) turned it over to the police. Alex went with me to pick it up. He said we should bring a special ($$) gift for the police. We bought a $20 GEL ($6.92) bottle of wine. Everyone was happy.   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:30:32 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1122 on: October 17, 2019, 02:01:56 AM »

Another problem is you are missing a tortilla warmer on that table. All authentic Mexican restaurants have that. It keeps the tortillas steaming hot and being steaming hot will prevent the cooling and cracking of tortillas. Your old recipe may have not been perfect but if you don't have a tortilla warmer, your new recipe won't be perfect when you serve the tortillas cold. Tortilla warmer in the link below. Paypal me $50 if you like my advice. I also take Mastercard and Visa.

http://www.amazon.com/Tortilla-Warmer-combination-Container-Microwave/dp/B0756C62QG

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Microwave-Tortilla-10-Inch/dp/B07Y5JFCYS/ref=sr_1_7?crid=10POH06G7B8X9&keywords=tortilla%2Bwarmer%2B12%2Binch&qid=1571303051&s=home-garden&sprefix=Tortilla%2B%2Cgarden%2C287&sr=1-7&th=1.

This one looks good and will hold the 10 inch tortillas and there is a 11 inch plate cover that comes with it.

http://www.amazon.com/MEXI-10007-Sunburst-Tortilla-Warmer-12-Inch/dp/B00HWF4E7G/ref=sxin_1_osp24-fcfc73c2_cov?ascsubtag=fcfc73c2-f241-4cd3-880f-75ef439506d0&creativeASIN=B00HWF4E7G&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.fcfc73c2-f241-4cd3-880f-75ef439506d0&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=tortilla+warmer&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B00HWF4E7G&pd_rd_r=4c56aae3-54db-4e69-9dbd-1c123fd4a4c4&pd_rd_w=T5Mg7&pd_rd_wg=15nje&pf_rd_p=53eff971-6e12-4016-9864-b6dfd929b2b3&pf_rd_r=3DSTHHJZQDQY3ZE4DGGR&qid=1571303563&tag=atkamznsearch-20.

Tortilla blanket

Tortillada – Premium Cast Iron Tortilla Press with Recipes (10 Inch) / Biggest Tortilla Press in the Market

I am going to order a tortilla warmer and a tortilla press. I also should get a food processor. Can't find one in the shops here.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 02:16:05 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1123 on: October 19, 2019, 12:27:38 PM »

Almost got into a fight

Had a Tex-Mex party at my gym tonight. The people there devoured my food. I was toasted and told I was a good man. At the party was Scott, a guy from the UK. A former British paratrooper and a big fan of UFW or whatever martial arts contests are called. Anyway he gets totally waisted. Kissing everybody and telling the men he is their brother. He shows them his martial arts moves. Since I never drink and drive and I had my car I offered him a ride home. During my drive to the McDonalds where he lived close by he told me us Americans were Satan's c*** holes and we were stupid beyond belief. Then he told me why he believed it so. When I got to the McDonalds where he was supposed to get out, he wouldn't. Instead he kisses me on my cheek and kept calling me brother. We were blocking traffic. I had to get out and pull him out of my car which angered him. At that point he tried to knock me over. Butting into me and pushing me. I told him. "Scott, stop it. You are assaulting me!"  I kept my balance and walked around my car and got behind the wheel. He then tried to block me but I was able to drive around him. I haven't been in a physical altercation since 1968!

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1124 on: October 19, 2019, 01:34:52 PM »
he kisses me on my cheek

Maxx, gentlemen do not kiss and tell. But since the cat is out of the bag, did you like it?

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541000
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1892
Total: 1903

+-Recent Posts

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM