It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML  (Read 317386 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML
« Reply #975 on: September 04, 2020, 08:55:52 PM »
The recent Kyiv fire was in the building where one of wife's apartments is located.
It is one building away from US Embassy building and we just finished out her apartment back in 2014 in this newly constructed (at the time) building.
Her apartment is on 8th floor west side, whereas the fire was 24th floor east side.
Two brothers lived in the apartment which was stacked full of items (don't know what they were) that caught fire.
One brother died in the fire.
The second one climbed out window, jumped down onto an air conditioner next to window on 23rd floor.
Luckily a woman in that apartment saw him, and luckily her window would open, so he was able to get in.  Don't know if I would have made that jump !!
He is in critical condition at hospital with burns over a large portion of his body.
Wife's relative lives in her apartment.  He and his wife and 2 children evacuated with all others and he took video for an hour including the event described above.  He made the video available to news media.
They were some of the first to get out because a friend who lived on 25th floor called to tell them of the fire just below him.
An unfortunate situation was that water had been shut off in that area for repairs earlier, and full pressure was not available.
Also, the only fire truck with long enough ladder to get to 24th floor was on west bank of river and didn't get there for 40 minutes.
Great camaraderie is being shown as the apartment dwellers are inviting people whose apartments damaged by water and smoke to stay with them, furnishing food, clothing, etc.
And most all are pitching in to help clean up the apartments of fellow apartment dwellers.
No electricity was back on at time of last Skype call to Kyiv.

Some info here:
http://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/fire-contained-in-kyiv-apartment-on-24th-floor-dead-body-found.html

The fire was in 4Б Sikorskoho Street in Kyiv, Ukraine  . . . not just 4 as noted in KyivPost article.  4 is the Embassy.

http://tinyurl.com/ya8lzhvv
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 10:30:23 AM by AnonMod »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #976 on: September 04, 2020, 09:39:08 PM »
the only fire truck with long enough ladder to get to 24th floor was on west bank of river and didn't get there for 40 minutes.
I would have never thought that there was a ladder that would go that high.
Great camaraderie is being shown as the apartment dwellers are inviting people whose apartments damaged by water and smoke to stay with them, furnishing food, clothing, etc.
That is extremely thoughtful considering the pandemic issue. Hopefully there is no prolonged [like months] mess.

http://www.google.com/maps/place/Aviakonstructor+Igor+Sikorsky+St,+4-%D0%91,+Kyiv,+Ukraine,+02000/@50.4653815,30.4322046,475m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x40d4cc4b8515bcbf:0x1f0410b6272a6813!8m2!3d50.4655864!4d30.4297584?hl=en
Those apartment buildings look pretty new. My wife lived on the 9th floor of hers in Odessa. She finally sold it after 13 years of renting it out. I always was uneasy about a fire situation. Apparently... there was no insurance policy as I understand.
Go figure.
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline BillyB

« Reply #977 on: September 05, 2020, 09:17:06 AM »

I don't ever want to live in an apartment building. Thin walls, noisy neighbors and increased chance for fire and water damage.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #978 on: September 05, 2020, 09:23:04 AM »
I don't ever want to live in an apartment building. Thin walls, noisy neighbors and increased chance for fire and water damage.

Same for me.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #979 on: September 07, 2020, 03:01:43 PM »
Infrequently wife asks me what are the topics on this board.

She is mystified why there is talk of virus and politics and virtually none of romance.

So where is the romance ??

During this time of increased (forced) togetherness, there should at least be some pregnancies to announce.

Offline rwd123

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #980 on: September 07, 2020, 08:54:50 PM »
Infrequently wife asks me what are the topics on this board.

She is mystified why there is talk of virus and politics and virtually none of romance.

So where is the romance ??

During this time of increased (forced) togetherness, there should at least be some pregnancies to announce.
The bees can't meet the birds because borders are closed. That explains the single guys.

Married guys don't need an explanation about where the romance is, it died in 1964.  :P

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #981 on: September 07, 2020, 11:01:48 PM »

I would agree, normally

I lived in an apt in Cyprus near the sea front with sea views  and my neighbours were older.  There was a sense of community.

One noisy family and all that can be spoilt

Offline ML

« Reply #982 on: September 10, 2020, 03:16:50 PM »
I haven't kept up as much as others regarding the candidate's actual plans.

But just today, I saw a side-by-side layout of the candidate's positions on many issues.

Regarding Long Term Capital Gains Tax Rate.
Donald is in favor of lowering top rate from 20% to 15%

Joe says he will push  to raise top rate to match top rate on ordinary income.

OK, so who cares and what will be the economic impact.  First we must understand the rationale for having a capital gains tax rate lower than tax rate on ordinary income.

Ordinary income is currently earned at the current level of prices.

Items eligible for long term classification were purchased at least 2 years ago and perhaps as long as 20, 30, 40, etc. years ago.  i.e. They were purchased when the value of a dollar was different (much different) than the value of a dollar today.

For simplicity, assume an asset purchased 10 years ago and it's value having increased at exactly the same rate as inflation.  When it is sold today, there is a taxable gain . . . but in reality there is zero gain after inflation considered.  So any tax at all on the gain will cause the investor to be in a lesser position than they were 10 years ago.

A very logical and fair tax code will take this into consideration by saying . . . hey, let's lessen the penalty somewhat by imposing a LTCG rate that is less than that paid on current ordinary income.

It is hoped, of course, that the value will actually increase by more than the inflation rate.

Aside from fairness to investors regarding inflation . . . there is a huge benefit to general economy for this attempt to lessen the punishment of those who take the risk of investing for the long term.  Increasing the punishment for those who do take this risk will lead to a decrease in economic activity.

I can provide exact personal example to illustrate.

Among other investments, I am currently selling off one acre (or larger) parcels from a larger plot I purchased 30 years ago.  My nominal (before considering inflation) gain per acre is quite large.  However, my real (inflation adjusted) gain is much, much smaller although still positive.

The fact that I have incurred substantial risk for 30 years (the value could have tanked for dozens of reasons) is given some reward by not allowing taxes to eat up all of the real gain.

Joe's plan will mean that my real gain after taxes will shrink considerably.

What will be the economic consequences?  I can think of at least three.

1) I and others in similar circumstances will simply stop selling parcels of land, and wait for a future lowering back down of the LTCG rate.  This will lead to fewer parcels available, lessened new home construction, lowered demand for construction workers and materials, etc., etc.

2) From the perspective of larger investors, there will be a decrease in their undertaking expensive and risky projects that they hope have a long term payoff when they might cash out years from now.

3) Going back to point 1, there will even be a perverse effect on Joe's plan to extract higher taxes from successful persons.  For those of us who stop selling . . . our assets will pass to heirs at a 'stepped-up' tax basis equal to the  current market value at time of death.  If heirs then sell at this new current value and tax basis, there will be zero new taxes for Joe.  Joe would have been better off to leave LTCG rates alone and actually collect more tax dollars during his term.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #983 on: September 11, 2020, 09:45:10 AM »
Very interesting insight, ML. If your 'fear' holds true, I'm interested to hear what option you have, if any...

So far in our industry, a lot of the monies behind a good swatch of development are fed by Chinese-based investors. Despite the climate between the US/Sino, Chinese investors into the US hasn't really waned that much. I'm somewhat surprised by this because of the obvious, and the daily deluge of information almost telling us we are on the verge of war with them.

The other interesting thing too is, ME used to be THE biggest monies behind RE investment, at least in our region, but they've paled in comparison with Chinese aggression. Residential development are brisk, but isolated in high density dwellings, mostly 'apartments' over condos/zero lot confines. SFH is almost non-existent. Hotels are steady. Commercial, especially retail, is dead on the water. Whatever does come up are mixed into those mixed-use development.

Believe or not, even COVID haven't really impacted this Sino-surge.

I do not know what impact the current condition will do with a Biden win this November. Right now, it seems oblivious to anything going on. Not Trump or Biden. Not the virus. Not any Geo-political  posturing...
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Gator

« Reply #984 on: September 11, 2020, 03:11:52 PM »
ML,

Mutual funds make annual distributions to owners, and these would be taxable as ordinary income. 

I have far more individual stocks than funds, yet a Biden victory could convince me to sell funds before 2021, actually well before the distributions.   A national wave of such selling would lower the market.   So maybe some trimming elsewhere is advisable.   

Some areas of the market should do well under Biden. such as infrastructure plays and those training programs needed so policemen know how to help  criminals get in touch with their feelings.   

Offline ML

« Reply #985 on: September 26, 2020, 10:21:56 AM »
My Ukrainian wife is very distraught about the military plane crash that killed 26 or so aviation students and instructors.

http://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/plane-crashes-in-kharkiv-oblast-killing-at-least-20-people.html

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #986 on: September 26, 2020, 03:23:21 PM »
RE that crash...
Jason Neighbors stated----- I hope they replace their planes faster than they do their trolleybuses)
Have there been any deadly trolley crashes over there?
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline ML

« Reply #987 on: September 29, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »
Wife has been hard at work all semester learning how to code using the Maxima mathematical software and using it to write a program which might be useful in her potential doctoral dissertation.

I haven't done any original programming for several years, and used mostly Fortran back then.

I am quite nervous when about once a day she calls me in to help her debug her program.

I know nothing about it, of course, and nothing about the math problem she is working on.

However, it mostly works out as I hope.

That is to say . . . by her trying to explain to me the steps she has coded . . . she finds the mistake herself.

Then she dismisses me.

Offline ML

« Reply #988 on: October 08, 2020, 08:19:43 PM »
More specifically, Ukraine’s Ministry of Culture and Information Policy is set to add “the culture of Ukrainian borsch cooking” to the national list of intangible cultural heritage.

That’s an important step ahead of Ukraine’s plan to nominate the culture of Ukrainian borsch cooking for the same kind of list by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, or UNESCO.

UNESCO’s list already includes Ukrainian Petrykivka decorative painting, the tradition of Kosiv painted ceramics and Cossack’s songs of the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast.

Apart from borsch, the cultural ministry is set to add four more items to the heritage list: the technology of creating the Klembivska embroidered shirt with a flower, Easter celebration “Lead the Lord” in the Rozkoshivka village in Vinnytsia Oblast, Borshchiv folk embroidery and the creation of the Carpathian lizhnyk, a thick blanket made of sheep’s wool. 

http://www.kyivpost.com/lifestyle/ukraine-to-recognize-borscht-as-intangible-cultural-heritage.html

Offline ML

« Reply #989 on: October 10, 2020, 08:15:18 AM »
Wife and I have had a couple of problems most likely caused by this 24/7 together issue.
What about the rest of you ?

DEAR ABBY:

Since the coronavirus lockdown began, my wife and I have been cooped up together all day, every day.

Though we have lived together for 35 years, she’s now discovering that I “don’t cook vegetables correctly.”

I don’t sort the trash the way she thinks it should be, so I can’t take out the garbage without her first inspecting it.

Not only do I not wash the dishes properly, I don’t even wash my face right.

Thus far the only thing I seem to be able to do is go to the restroom without her supervision, but I lock the door now just in case she decides to kibitz.

I realize that during this tense time, people feel a loss of control over their own lives and try to compensate however they can. I’m able to hang on to my patience almost all the time, but occasionally I want to either scream at her or look for an apartment of my own.

Do you have any advice for either or both of us?

Offline Gator

« Reply #990 on: October 10, 2020, 03:28:38 PM »
It has been a test.  I am constantly corrected about my mitigation practices. 

It will get better. 

Offline ML

« Reply #991 on: October 11, 2020, 02:08:30 PM »
A joy to watch.
Texas scores 14 points in last 3 minutes to tie and force overtime.
Overtime 1, both score and still tied.
Overtime 2, both score and still tied.
Overtime 3, Oklahoma blocks Texas field goal attempt; Oklahoma kicker misses short field goal after going 51/51 last year.
Overtime 4, Oklahoma scores, Texas does not, as their pass attempt was intercepted in end zone.

I know there were other close games on Saturday and a few upsets of top 25 teams.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #992 on: October 12, 2020, 05:28:57 AM »
The Big 12 is looking mighty weak this year

Offline BillyB

« Reply #993 on: October 12, 2020, 07:57:02 AM »

Some of you guys may have remembered the LSU Texas A & M game a few years ago. LSU had the lead and they intercepted the ball from Texas A & M with less than 2 minutes left in the game. The LSU players gave their coach a sticky Gatorade bath in celebration. Texas A & M miraculously tied the game. The game went into 7 overtimes with Texas A & M winning it. I feel sorry for the LSU coach who had to endure being wet and sticky for 7 overtimes only to lose the game.

http://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/Ed-Orgeron-LSU-Texas-AM-7-overtime-game-133681616/
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #994 on: October 14, 2020, 08:43:32 AM »
Wife's relative living permanently in Ireland (actually has citizenship now) made short trip back to Ukraine for dental work.
He heard Ireland will close border on October 19th due to Covid
He is due to return tomorrow and will have to quarantine at home for 14 days.
Was unsure if he could even get back into Ireland if trying to return 19th or later.

As fantastic situation, he got tickets for 15 Euros each way.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #995 on: October 15, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »
I would agree, normally

I lived in an apt in Cyprus near the sea front with sea views  and my neighbours were older.  There was a sense of community.

One noisy family and all that can be spoilt
+1
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #996 on: October 15, 2020, 02:06:30 PM »
I haven't kept up as much as others regarding the candidate's actual plans.

But just today, I saw a side-by-side layout of the candidate's positions on many issues.

Regarding Long Term Capital Gains Tax Rate.
Donald is in favor of lowering top rate from 20% to 15%

Joe says he will push  to raise top rate to match top rate on ordinary income.

OK, so who cares and what will be the economic impact.  First we must understand the rationale for having a capital gains tax rate lower than tax rate on ordinary income.

Ordinary income is currently earned at the current level of prices.

Items eligible for long term classification were purchased at least 2 years ago and perhaps as long as 20, 30, 40, etc. years ago.  i.e. They were purchased when the value of a dollar was different (much different) than the value of a dollar today.

For simplicity, assume an asset purchased 10 years ago and it's value having increased at exactly the same rate as inflation.  When it is sold today, there is a taxable gain . . . but in reality there is zero gain after inflation considered.  So any tax at all on the gain will cause the investor to be in a lesser position than they were 10 years ago.

A very logical and fair tax code will take this into consideration by saying . . . hey, let's lessen the penalty somewhat by imposing a LTCG rate that is less than that paid on current ordinary income.

It is hoped, of course, that the value will actually increase by more than the inflation rate.

Aside from fairness to investors regarding inflation . . . there is a huge benefit to general economy for this attempt to lessen the punishment of those who take the risk of investing for the long term.  Increasing the punishment for those who do take this risk will lead to a decrease in economic activity.

I can provide exact personal example to illustrate.

Among other investments, I am currently selling off one acre (or larger) parcels from a larger plot I purchased 30 years ago.  My nominal (before considering inflation) gain per acre is quite large.  However, my real (inflation adjusted) gain is much, much smaller although still positive.

The fact that I have incurred substantial risk for 30 years (the value could have tanked for dozens of reasons) is given some reward by not allowing taxes to eat up all of the real gain.

Joe's plan will mean that my real gain after taxes will shrink considerably.

What will be the economic consequences?  I can think of at least three.

1) I and others in similar circumstances will simply stop selling parcels of land, and wait for a future lowering back down of the LTCG rate.  This will lead to fewer parcels available, lessened new home construction, lowered demand for construction workers and materials, etc., etc.

2) From the perspective of larger investors, there will be a decrease in their undertaking expensive and risky projects that they hope have a long term payoff when they might cash out years from now.

3) Going back to point 1, there will even be a perverse effect on Joe's plan to extract higher taxes from successful persons.  For those of us who stop selling . . . our assets will pass to heirs at a 'stepped-up' tax basis equal to the  current market value at time of death.  If heirs then sell at this new current value and tax basis, there will be zero new taxes for Joe.  Joe would have been better off to leave LTCG rates alone and actually collect more tax dollars during his term.

Interesting, well demonstrated
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline msmob

« Reply #997 on: October 16, 2020, 12:30:58 AM »

Was unsure if he could even get back into Ireland if trying to return 19th or later.

Cannot see a scenario whereby accessing the 'south' from N.Ireland would be impossible, politically.

As fantastic situation, he got tickets for 15 Euros each way.

Can they find me flights from Russia to Greece for the same ? ;)

Offline ML

« Reply #998 on: October 16, 2020, 10:43:33 AM »
Cannot see a scenario whereby accessing the 'south' from N.Ireland would be impossible, politically.

Can they find me flights from Russia to Greece for the same ? ;)

Nothing to do with N. Ireland.

He is coming from Kyiv to Dublin.  Actually flies today.

The 15 Euro tickets were on Ryan Air.  Don't know if Ryan flies to Russia or Greece.  I guess not if you have already looked for such inexpensive tickets.  And the cost might be substantially different on different routes even with similar distances.  Something about free market supply and demand . . . I would think.

He had a lot of dental work done in Ukraine.  Figured the cost was one fourth of cost in Ireland.  And the dentist was a man a year younger than himself whom he had known in high school.

Offline msmob

« Reply #999 on: October 17, 2020, 12:38:37 AM »
Nothing to do with N. Ireland.

)) ..IF the Republic was closing it's borders ..  I'd be VERY surprised if it tried to refuse folks from N.Ireland entering ...  it would be political dynamite

The 15 Euro tickets were on Ryan Air.  Don't know if Ryan flies to Russia or Greece.  I guess not if you have already looked for such inexpensive tickets.  And the cost might be substantially different on different routes even with similar distances.  Something about free market supply and demand . . . I would think.

He had a lot of dental work done in Ukraine.  Figured the cost was one fourth of cost in Ireland.  And the dentist was a man a year younger than himself whom he had known in high school.

Thanks, for the info ... Indeed, western based low cost airlines have flown routes to Russia, but as even most visa holding RU citizens can't fly to most EU nations...

I HAVE discovered Greece may be still be 'green' for both the UK and RU ...

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 04:11:07 AM by AnonMod »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1861
Total: 1872

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM