It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Driving from Kiev to Kryvyi Rih/Krivoy Rog  (Read 8858 times)

Offline Strider

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Driving from Kiev to Kryvyi Rih/Krivoy Rog
« on: March 03, 2019, 02:50:44 AM »
A few years back, I rented a car and drove from Kiev to Nikoleav and back through Kryvyi Rih, Zaporizhia and Dnepropetrovsk.  The roads from Kryvyi Rih to Zaporizhia along the Dneiper were the worst that I have seen in Europe.  Things were so bad the wheel got bent.  Can anyone post a report on road conditions in the area please, i.e., Kiv to  Kryvyi Rih?  I don't want to rent a car if the roads are still sh1te. 
"It's by talking nonsense that one gets to the truth!"
-Fiodor Michajłowicz Dostojewski

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Driving from Kiev to Kryvyi Rih/Krivoy Rog
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
A few years back, I rented a car and drove from Kiev to Nikoleav and back through Kryvyi Rih, Zaporizhia and Dnepropetrovsk.  The roads from Kryvyi Rih to Zaporizhia along the Dneiper were the worst that I have seen in Europe.  Things were so bad the wheel got bent.  Can anyone post a report on road conditions in the area please, i.e., Kiv to  Kryvyi Rih?  I don't want to rent a car if the roads are still sh1te.

Your memory is not good. The roads between Kryvyi Rih and Nikolaev are the worst, swerving to miss potholes in road for several miles. I did come from Dnipro to Odessa, went through Kryvyi Rih and Nikolaev. Now I am assuming I was on H11.

Why don't you ask on TripAdvisor, there you will get people that actually live in Ukraine and know the roads.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline Strider

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 12:17:13 PM »
Your memory is not good. The roads between Kryvyi Rih and Nikolaev are the worst, swerving to miss potholes in road for several miles. I did come from Dnipro to Odessa, went through Kryvyi Rih and Nikolaev. Now I am assuming I was on H11.

Yes, the road between Kryvyi Rih and Nikolaev was horrible, but worse yet was a bridge over some ravine feeding the Dnieper around Maryanske on H-23.  I couldn't believe that a bridge was left in such a pot-holed state.  It is not just that the road had potholes but they were deep, like the bridge had been hit by mortar fire. 

Why don't you ask on TripAdvisor, there you will get people that actually live in Ukraine and know the roads.

Well thanks for that.  The problem was that a road could be OK for a few miles, and then a deep pothole would be there suddenly.  It just takes one to do some damage.

Offline LAman

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 01:04:37 PM »

Well thanks for that.  The problem was that a road could be OK for a few miles, and then a deep pothole would be there suddenly.  It just takes one to do some damage.

They will know how bad it is because they actually drive these roads or have friends/family that tell. If there is potholes, they can say about what area is real bad or not. What to look for.

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 02:35:55 PM »
I know all the roads mentioned extremely well ( better than anyone on TripAdvisor  or other sites !!--fact)

To the OP -when did you last drive the roads you mentioned?
Same question to LAman.

:)
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JayH

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »

Going back a few years the Nikolaev -Krivoy Rog had deteriorated to atrocious condition --- certainly one of the worst . At times --coming to a complete stop and reversing to find a way to pick a way to progress-the road was sheer hell for any passenger.

I stopped using the direct route and chose the longer ( but shorter in elapsed time)via Kherson-Melitipol and towards Dnipro  . Average 100kmh plus that way  and roads mostly not bad and some very good.A much less stressful drive .
There are a few shorter routes I would use now choose a route that cuts the corner  -- and  very scenic road that runs  up the western side of the Dnieper from Nova Kakhovka

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 03:04:16 PM by JayH »
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JayH

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 03:00:28 PM »

Can you be more precise on destinations and sequence?

Many roads are improved over the last few years  and many under remaking or repair . That is not say that you will not face bad to seriously bad roads and sections .

Any driving in Ukraine requires full on 100% concentration with NO distractions.
Even some of the newest roads  eg Poltava -Kyiv  -   have great surface after just being finished and allow German autobahn type speeds -- EXCEPT -- the holes that started to appear that are extremely dangerous because  they come up out of the blue  and if around other traffic you may not see or see early enough to avoid.The Kyiv -Odesa road has similar issues .
The potential for a big accident ( yours or someone else) is high -- and ripping a corner off the car very possible . A burst tyre or bent rim is common place on any road.

Offline LAman

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 03:38:02 PM »
I know all the roads mentioned extremely well ( better than anyone on TripAdvisor  or other sites !!--fact)

Same question to LAman.

Mine was about 1.5 years, Jay.  I doubt there has been many repairs on that stretch recently. And even if they did, you spoke of brand new 'autobahn' like surface Poltava-Kiev has already deteriorated with potholes.

You didn't answer OP's question. Kiev(Kiv) to Kryvyi Rih.

BTW- I trust the members in TA much better than you, there are hundreds if not thousands there sharing their experiences.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 03:40:59 PM by LAman »

Offline Strider

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 03:40:02 PM »
Same question to LAman.

About five years ago.  I am looking to go from Kiev to Kryvyi Rih, as direct as possible.  Thanks for replying.  I still may just take a train and play it safe.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 03:45:35 PM by Strider »

Offline JayH

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 04:32:13 PM »

Mine was about 1.5 years, Jay.  I doubt there has been many repairs on that stretch recently. And even if they did, you spoke of brand new 'autobahn' like surface Poltava-Kiev has already deteriorated with potholes.

You didn't answer OP's question. Kiev(Kiv) to Kryvyi Rih.

BTW- I trust the members in TA much better than you, there are hundreds if not thousands there sharing their experiences.

The reason I was asking the "when" is because I don't think I was on the specific Krivoy Rog -Nikolaev road in the last 2 years -- and it was listed for major repairs and I was interested if anyone here had an update .

As to answering the OP question -- I need specific intended route to best answer.

AND -- my info comes from my personal exposure ,when possible  asking  other drivers , the bus and coach drivers about road condition and friends  & associates etc who may have covered the roads. Also from resident expats all over Ukraine .

Road condition can change a lot over the year eg at the end of winter  is the worst time -- towards the end of autumn  after 6 months or so or repairs from filling holes to relaying sections the roads tend to be best .

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 05:17:24 PM »
"I still may just take a train and play it safe."

i've gone by car and train, a train is a MUCH better choice, boring scenery though (but same for highway)
usually, the further away from Kyiv the worse the road
driving in Ukraine is much more stressful than driving in USA
kinda like Mad Max with Ladas...
plus with a car parking is always an issue, especially if you have to park overnight (you better park in a "safe" area and you'd better be sure!!!)
I'd only rent a car if you have a specific need for having a car, otherwise if you're just going from point A to point B, a train is a 100 times better choice
get a first class sleeper car and you can zone out for the whole trip if you want..
you can buy train ticket online or go in person to the kyiv train station

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:01:32 PM by krimster2 »

Offline JayH

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 05:17:32 PM »
About five years ago.  I am looking to go from Kiev to Kryvyi Rih, as direct as possible.  Thanks for replying.  I still may just take a train and play it safe.

OK -- now that is a specific question --  basically head to Dnipro  from there to Kryvyi Rih.
Take to road heading to Poltava ( M 03)-- at some point there is a turn of to Dnipro (P 52) pm me and I will do full route for you) 
Stay on the eastern side of Dnieper and only cross in Dnipro.(E50 & H11) to KR.
The road from there is mostly good to ok most of the time ( see comments about what time of the year) .

The problem with GPS is will take you the shortest route which will take you to some pretty chaotic roads. I have a way I would use but it needs a fair amount of navigation! 
I plot rout in advance and put in the way points ie town to town and adjust as I get to each point --otherwise the GPS will revert to shortest route etc
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:36:39 PM by JayH »

Offline JayH

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 05:29:52 PM »
The roads from Kryvyi Rih to Zaporizhia along the Dneiper were the worst that I have seen in Europe.   

Maybe you were not on main roads ?
 Now -- you would take road from KR  to Dnipro ( dual hwy mostly and ok condition)   and then take the new road that intersects  west of Dnipro  to bypass--it is lightly used A1 condition . It takes you back to Dnipro -Zap  road that is dual hwy and generally ok condition.

In Ukrainian road terms  -easy drive ! :)

A btw -- I try and avoid intercity/town roads at night -- it is just hard work looking for the ever present potential holes in the road.

Offline Strider

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 05:06:43 AM »
"I still may just take a train and play it safe."

i've gone by car and train, a train is a MUCH better choice, boring scenery though (but same for highway)
usually, the further away from Kyiv the worse the road
driving in Ukraine is much more stressful than driving in USA
kinda like Mad Max with Ladas...
plus with a car parking is always an issue, especially if you have to park overnight (you better park in a "safe" area and you'd better be sure!!!)
I'd only rent a car if you have a specific need for having a car, otherwise if you're just going from point A to point B, a train is a 100 times better choice
get a first class sleeper car and you can zone out for the whole trip if you want..
you can buy train ticket online or go in person to the kyiv train station

So, I bought a ticket at the train station in Kiev.  It is the safer option.  I made clear that I wanted a second class sleeper ticket, as it was the best booking available.  Looking at the ticket and the price, I got a third class ticket.  The joys of travel in the FSU!  Will try to change it....

EDIT TO NOTE:  The booking classes for the Ukrainian trains online are different from what they are labeled at the station.  So what at the station is called 1st class is called 2nd class online.  Then there is something ridiculously expensive that is called 1st class online.  The trick is to check the car/wagon number online and make sure that the ticket purchased at the station is one of the corresponding numbers.  I lost 40-50 grivna changing the ticket.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 06:00:37 AM by Strider »

Offline Strider

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 06:06:03 AM »
The problem with GPS is will take you the shortest route which will take you to some pretty chaotic roads. I have a way I would use but it needs a fair amount of navigation! 
I plot rout in advance and put in the way points ie town to town and adjust as I get to each point --otherwise the GPS will revert to shortest route etc

Yes, I remember reading about some Japanese tourists a few years back in Australia who drove into the sea trying to get to an island because they were just following the GPS.  It can be quite wrong.  I believe I used GPS in my trip five years ago and it did take me on some country roads.  That said, I may have taken that route because the main route was also in terrible condition, so I was not trading distance traveled for time as one normally does with expressway driving. 

Online krimster2

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 07:59:36 AM »
the sleeper car gives you a little private "cabin" maybe 9 feet by 6 feet with bunk beds with a lockable door
the car and not the cabin will have a toilette, which is a pretty good one by Ukrainian standards
the distance you're traveling, the trip will be maybe 5 hours or so, will probably make a few stops
at each train stop you'll see a sign informing you of the location, so make sure you choose the right one!

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 08:30:41 AM »
the sleeper car gives you a little private "cabin" maybe 9 feet by 6 feet with bunk beds with a lockable door
the car and not the cabin will have a toilette, which is a pretty good one by Ukrainian standards
the distance you're traveling, the trip will be maybe 5 hours or so, will probably make a few stops
at each train stop you'll see a sign informing you of the location, so make sure you choose the right one!

Whenever I traveled by train in Ukraine, I always reserved the whole 4 sleeper cabin (2nd class?) for the price, it was cheap enough to buy out all beds and have your own private cabin!
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline LAman

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 10:12:33 AM »
So, I bought a ticket at the train station in Kiev.  It is the safer option.  I made clear that I wanted a second class sleeper ticket, as it was the best booking available.  Looking at the ticket and the price, I got a third class ticket.  The joys of travel in the FSU!  Will try to change it....

EDIT TO NOTE:  The booking classes for the Ukrainian trains online are different from what they are labeled at the station.  So what at the station is called 1st class is called 2nd class online.  Then there is something ridiculously expensive that is called 1st class online.  The trick is to check the car/wagon number online and make sure that the ticket purchased at the station is one of the corresponding numbers.  I lost 40-50 grivna changing the ticket.

I don't quite understand what your problem was. You made it clear you wanted 2nd class sleeper ticket, did you say it in Russian/Ukrainian? Very few clerks speak any English. Was 'Platskartny' or 'Kupe' in conversation?

Why didn't you book online and used your emailed booking ticket on phone as long as you had Q code.
I know some trains are not able to be booked online.

Online, the sleeper trains show L-1st class, C-2nd and , B-3rd.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:16:05 AM by LAman »

Online krimster2

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 11:04:48 AM »
"Whenever I traveled by train in Ukraine, I always reserved the whole 4 sleeper cabin (2nd class?) for the price, it was cheap enough to buy out all beds and have your own private cabin! "

an especially good option if you have kids!!!

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 12:33:08 PM »

I don't quite understand what your problem was. You made it clear you wanted 2nd class sleeper ticket, did you say it in Russian/Ukrainian? Very few clerks speak any English. Was 'Platskartny' or 'Kupe' in conversation?

Why didn't you book online and used your emailed booking ticket on phone as long as you had Q code.

A lot of times the 1st class cabins get sold out early on the website.  Through T I learned the train stewards buy some of them for ppl to purchase through them, with a premium.   Basically, ticket scalping.  This is especially common during days around holidays.  She calls them the train mafia. 

Offline Strider

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 01:25:11 PM »
I don't quite understand what your problem was. You made it clear you wanted 2nd class sleeper ticket, did you say it in Russian/Ukrainian?

No, you obviously don't understand, and yes I did request it in Russian, and even wrote the train information, date and class on a slip of paper, which from experience, makes things easier.

Yes, and at the ticket window at the main train station here in Kiev, "L-1st class" (two sleeping berths in the cabin) is either called something else by the staff, or not available, "C-2nd class" (four sleeping berths in the cabin) is called first class, and "B-3rd class" (six sleeping berths per cabin) is called second class.  So, I checked the availability online, noted the online classes, but at the window, the terminology is different.  It is quite confusing.  The tickets don't have a section showing the class, unlike other railroads in Europe.  My suggestion is to check the available rail cars/wagons by desired class and compare that with the ticket purchased to avoid mistakes.

Very few clerks speak any English. Was 'Platskartny' or 'Kupe' in conversation?

True, but after getting a refund for the first ticket, I looked for a younger lady in the window, and did find one who could speak English, and she did say that the online classes are something different from what they know them as.  The first ticket lady plainly understood what I requested, but had a different understanding of what second class meant to her.

Dunno, I wanted to pay cash, and my apartment is short walk from the station.  Yes, some tickets can't be booked online, etc.

Offline Strider

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »
Whenever I traveled by train in Ukraine, I always reserved the whole 4 sleeper cabin (2nd class?) for the price, it was cheap enough to buy out all beds and have your own private cabin!

Traveling by train for a long trip is actually a good way to meet the locals.  There is a whole social etiquette about sharing a compartment on the train.  People readily share drinks, etc. and get friendly.  I usually enjoy it, but don't want to ride in the third class cattle cars.

Offline LAman

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 02:01:46 PM »
No, you obviously don't understand, and yes I did request it in Russian, and even wrote the train information, date and class on a slip of paper, which from experience, makes things easier.

True, but after getting a refund for the first ticket, I looked for a younger lady in the window, and did find one who could speak English, and she did say that the online classes are something different from what they know them as.  The first ticket lady plainly understood what I requested, but had a different understanding of what second class meant to her.

Dunno, I wanted to pay cash, and my apartment is short walk from the station.  Yes, some tickets can't be booked online, etc.

Apparently clerk at window didn't fully understand you.

I understand why the mix up in classes between online and in person. But did you go online and see what was available before you went to train station? Regardless of classes, if you knew "B' and "C' meant, knew what wagon and seat you wanted first, maybe you wouldn't have issue with class, maybe?

Ukrainians buy their tickets at train station all the time, I have not heard of a mix up such as yours before. Live and learn.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »

Or possibly second class was sold out.  It does happen, depending on when one is traveling.  The better half and I once went to Moscow by train (overnight), and traveled 4th class there, meaning a scramble to find sleeping bunks.  Fourth class travel is now pretty rare in Ukraine, but third is not so bad, you can meet some interesting people, provided you are awake so no one has the opportunity to steal from you.  We went to Moscow just after Solzhenitsyn's letter on a Slavic state, and at that time, people were talking about such matters pretty openly.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/19/world/russia-gets-call-by-solzhenitsyn-for-slavic-state.html

Google was used to find the above link in this post. 

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Strider

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 10:28:20 AM »

She understood second class to mean third class as stated online.  Thus, the problem.

I understand why the mix up in classes between online and in person. But did you go online and see what was available before you went to train station?

Yes.

Regardless of classes, if you knew "B' and "C' meant, knew what wagon and seat you wanted first, maybe you wouldn't have issue with class, maybe?

The problem being that the tickets do not state class, L, B, or C on them anywhere, unlike other European rail tickets.  So how would I have known?  I wasn't interested in a particular wagon or place, I just wanted the better class.  The only way to be sure of that is to note which rail cars/wagons correlate to that class, which is what I eventually did.

Ukrainians buy their tickets at train station all the time, I have not heard of a mix up such as yours before.

You not hearing about it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.  The locals also tend to prefer the cheaper tickets, and those who want the better ones have less problems communicating their wishes than a tourist.  From a business and tourism perspective, they should make an effort to sell the tourists the better tickets.  Why would they want a tourist to get stuck in cattle car with the masses and wake up to find his/her wallet, smart phone or camera are now gone?

Live and learn.

Yes, and we have this discussion heading so that travelers can share their experiences with others, so we can all learn.  Invariably, when an experience is shared someone feels the need to comment something to the effect, "But you are in the FSU!  You should know that they do stupid things there!"  The wisdom of such comments is for others to decide.

Google was used to find the above link in this post. 

Gotcha!

Off to the train station now.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:30:50 AM by Strider »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1861
Total: 1872

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM