It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: New, "Improved" Visa fees  (Read 13532 times)

New, "Improved" Visa fees
« on: February 28, 2005, 12:57:32 AM »
Somebody please tell me I'm having a bad dream, or is it true the Moscow Embassy just raised the fiancee visa fee from $100 to $380?
:shock:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 01:06:00 AM by fairbro »

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 02:02:43 AM »

Offline Bruce

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 02:04:58 AM »
Visa fees have been changing for a long time.  They have always unfortunately been going up.  Right now the I-129F fee is $165.  See below link:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 02:59:40 AM »
http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/wwwhcmie.html

Maybe it's the fee to file the original visa application.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 04:15:13 AM »
I called the embassy at 095-728-5000. The phone message says the fee is $45 (bring to the interview).

Then I called at the Credit Card number. The guy didn't understand my English, and kept saying I needed an MOS number. (He had no idea that they receive EAC numbers, then they add the MOS number to it.) He didn't know anything about anything. Then a woman interrupted and helped me, and she said the fee was still $100. I think it must be the I-129f fee that is being raised 3/1/2005.

Typical Russia. After I went into a few stores, I avoided the men, only asked women for help. If I asked for help, the man would just point to the woman, like she's supposed to do everything for the customers. The man would just stand there and prefer to do nothing, just  stare at people.
:)

Offline Bruno

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 04:25:07 AM »
All is a little more complex... for a immigrant visa , several fee are needed to be pay...

by example : " Filing an immigrant visa petition (Collected for BCIS and subject to change) Petition, BCIS, Form I-130 to classify status of alien relative for issuance of immigrant visa: $130.00 " of "Immigrant visa application processing fee (per person), Form DS-230 : $335.00 "

For a general view of form and fees : http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm

For a general vieuw of visa fees : http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html

But in our case, the fiance visa K1 is a non-immigrant visa, let see the expense, use the same link that up for fees :

Fees are charged for the following services:

• Filing an Alien Fiancé(e) Petition, Form I-129F [/*]
  • Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee [/*]
  • Medical examination (costs vary from post to post) [/*]
  • Fingerprinting fees, if required [/*]
  • Other costs may include translation and photocopying charges, fees for getting the documents required for the visa application (such as passport, police certificates, birth certificates, etc.), and expenses for travel to the embassy or consulate for an interview. Costs vary from country to country and case to case. [/*]
  • Filing Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status [/*]
I-129 (185$) + nonimmigrant visa DS156 and DS156-K (100$) = 285$ + I-485 (315$) for after marriage ( Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status )

Now, about visa and fees, learn the difference between application fee and issuance fee at  http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/index.htm and consult the table at http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/Country%20Folder/R/Russia.htm for the full price... the fee in the table is the issuance fee needed to add at the 100$ from the application fee.

The K3 spouse is a nonimmigrant visa too... but the CR1 of IR1 spouse are immigrant visa with a visa fee more high ( 335$ )... in all situation, the price will be almost the same... all pay in the begin of during the Adjust of status... Don't forget to see the difference between spouse and fiance...

The link give by Faibro give a right information about a immigrant visa, in case of CR1 of IR1 spouse visa ... but for a K1 fiance, of K3 spouse, who are non-immigrant visa, the fee is 100$ for the visa... + all document ( form ) fees... and later, more expense for adjust the status... it was a "bad dream"... the immigrant spouse visa go raise from 335$ to 380$ next month... but nothing is changing now for the K1 fiance visa.

When you read gouvernemental site, take care of all details... the form DS156 is not the DS156-K, fiance are not spouse, immigrant are not nonimmigrant,... take you time for read it and understand to the last point on the "i"...

« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 04:32:00 AM by Bruno »

Offline Bruce

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 04:51:03 AM »
Fairbro - Bruno has given you alot of excellent links.  Yes, the K-1 packet will cost but it is minor compared to the over all expenses of International dating.
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 05:18:38 AM »
Hello?

...the fiance visa K1 is a non-immigrant visa

Bruce, are you planning to have your fiancee come over here for a month and then send her back? :cool:

My fiancee will stay here, I hope. :)

I know you all are trying to be helpful, but K-1 is an *immigrant* visa.

On the link previously highlighted:
The U.S. Department of States has announced that the Schedule of Fees for Immigrant Visa Services will be changed beginning March 8, 2005 and will be the following:

For immigrant visa applicants - $380 per visa

« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 05:24:00 AM by fairbro »

Offline ConnerVT

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 05:55:05 AM »
Sorry, fairbro, but you are incorrect.  The USCIS considers the K-1 to be a non-immigrant visa.  That is why it has an expiration date.  The visa holder's status only changes to immigrant once their AOS has been approved.

Offline jb

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 06:37:38 AM »
Also, don't confuse "Visa Fee" with K-1 application fee.  It costs $185.00 to apply for a K-1 (sending in the I-129F), and when the applicant actually goes for the interview it is another $100.00 for the visa itself, plus the cost of the medical exam.  Figure the total package for medical, visa interview, and DHL delivery fee will cost about $250.00, or so, for that day.

And, yes, all K-class visas are non-immigrant status visas.  Even though the K-1 visa is for 90 days, in theory, it ceases to exist the instant you say "I do", and your fiancee is no longer a fiancee, but she has become the wife of a US citizen.  Therefore her status is automatically, in the eyes of the USBCIS, changed to one of "awaiting AOS".  She doesn't become an immigrant until the I-485 is approved and she gets the Conditional Green Card.  After 2 years of marriage she can apply to have the conditions removed and she becomes a full fledged resident.

I called the embassy at 095-728-5000. The phone message says the fee is $45 (bring to the interview).

Then I called at the Credit Card number. The guy didn't understand my English, and kept saying I needed an MOS number. (He had no idea that they receive EAC numbers, then they add the MOS number to it.) He didn't know anything about anything. Then a woman interrupted and helped me, and she said the fee was still $100. I think it must be the I-129f fee that is being raised 3/1/2005.

When you call this number in Moscow you are not talking to the US Embassy, but to a local contractor who has very limited information regarding the status of visa applications.  It is generally a waste of time and money to dial this number and it will only add to your frustration.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 06:47:00 AM by jb »

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 06:51:22 AM »
I see, said the blind man.

If you go to the Moscow embassy site:

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/wwwhcn4.html

you will see they have 2 categories of visas: Non-Immigrant and Immigrant. Under the "Immigrant Visas" category is listed "Fiancee Visa."

I can see your logic, but what page are you getting this information from that the K-1 is a non-immigrant visa?

Offline jb

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 07:12:22 AM »
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/fiance.htm

Background
If your fiancé(e) is not a citizen of the United States and you plan to get married in the United States, then you must file a petition with USCIS on behalf of your fiancé(e). After the petition is approved, your fiancé(e) must obtain a visa issued at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad. The marriage must take place within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States. If the marriage does not take place within 90 days or your fiancé(e) marries someone other than you (the U.S. citizen filing USCIS Form I-129F - Petition for Alien Fiancé), your fiancé(e) will be required to leave the United States. Until the marriage takes place, your fiancé(e) is considered a nonimmigrant. A nonimmigrant is a foreign national seeking to temporarily enter the United States for a specific purpose. A fiancé(e) may not obtain an extension of the 90-day original nonimmigrant admission.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 07:14:00 AM by jb »

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 07:25:01 AM »
The fiancee is considered, temporarily, a non-immigrant, but the K-1 visa, according to all the embassy sites I checked out, is considered an immigrant visa.

Offline jb

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 07:41:06 AM »
I think your confusion stems from the notion that the USCIS and the US Embassy is run by the same government department/(s).

USCIS, (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service) is under Homeland Security, while the U.S. Embassy, which actually issues the visa, is under the U.S. State Department.  Two very seperate entities, and the website information is sometimes in conflict.  Whenever in doubt about "immigration" issues, always refer to the USCIS for the final word.  They are the ones you have to deal with after your lady arrives in the USA.

I believe the U.S. State Department lists the Fiancee visa (K-1) that way because it usually leads to immigration, sort of an understood thing, and it is an easy way to spell out the difference between the K visa and the H and J (work and student) or just plain visitor visa.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 07:45:00 AM by jb »

Offline Bruce

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 07:47:06 AM »
Fairbro - JB has threaded the needle for you.  I apologize for not taking the time to give you K-1 details this morning and not reading carefully what the fee currently is.  In any event JB knows what he is talking about.  It is good you are looking into visa possibilites for your FSU girl.  By the way, my FSU wife is currently in the adjustment of status period after coming over on a K-1 visa.  The BCINS website will give you alot of good information.  Boards like this will fill in the gaps for you if you do not get the membership frustrated.  Good luck.

Offline jb

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2005, 08:11:43 AM »
Hey, Bruce~!

I was trying to calmly go into this because it's one of the most often misunderstood processes.  And I realize there will be others who have the same questions later, so it isn't totally wasted bandwidth.

We cannot change the rules here on a Discussion Board.  We simply do what we can to pave the road for those who will follow. Those of us who have rowed our boats through these uncharted waters can help the newbie quite a lot because we have sat through all those interviews and meetings with the USCIS agents and learned the in's and out's of the multi-step ordeal of immigration.

However, I think you were right, I was beginning to think fairbro was being deliberately obtuse.  Which is not a good thing when someone is trying to help out.

Offline Bruno

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2005, 08:23:22 AM »
Faibro write

[line]
If you go to the Moscow embassy site:

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/wwwhcn4.html

you will see they have 2 categories of visas: Non-Immigrant and Immigrant. Under the "Immigrant Visas" category is listed "Fiancee Visa."
[line]

And he have good read... but if you click "fiance visa" on these page, he go to
http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/wwwhci4.html and below the new page, you can read :

[line]
Once found qualified for visa issuance, alien fiance(e) and her child(ren) receive nonimmigrant visas in their international passports. K1 and K2 visas are valid for one entry into the U.S. at any time within the next six months. The beneficiary also receives a visa packet to present to the immigration officials at the U.S. border. After entry to the U.S., Alien Fiance(e) has 90 days to either marry the petitioner or come back to country of residence. In case Petitioner and Beneficiary get married, the Beneficiary may then contact BCIS to adjust status to that of legal permanent resident.
[line]

It seem that the ambassy of US in Moscow have some problem in the text typed who can lead to mistake. The text link was bad placed on the site of Ambassy but if you have click on it and read, you have direct understand that it is not a immigrant visa.

Dan, maybe you can contact the Ambassy about these error, maybe you can receive a free K1 package for the freebies :shock::D Joke :D:shock:

It is better use the source, the bureau of consular affair at http://travel.state.gov where you can find all the reply to your question... and about immigrant of not, check http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html ... only if you are already married, it is possible to ask a immigrant visa for your lady ( spouce )...

Offline jb

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2005, 08:27:46 AM »
In any case, I think we are now flogging a dead horse.

Offline Bruno

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2005, 08:42:25 AM »
A dead horse ... I don't think so... a forum is a place where several people search information... and if i continue to reply, it is not specialy for Faibro but for all other, newbies of not who go read these topic and search the real information...

Now, several people have say that K1 is a non-immigrant visa and the newbies go understand that Faibro was wrong... what have happen for these newbies when nobody have reply...

Offline jb

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2005, 08:53:00 AM »
Bruno,

I don't want to get crossthreaded with you again, but don't you think it's a bit strange for a Belgium national to lecture U.S. citizens about U.S. Immigration laws and rules?  Where is your interest in this?  Do you wish to immigrate as well?

If fairbro has an ounce of brains he'll go read the USCIS site and get his own information.  The USCIS agent's handbook is also available on the web, this is where the really obscure rules are spelled out in detail.  He's been shown the way, it's now up to him to either accept the truth, or beat his head against the wall trying to do it his way.

Ultimately he'll see the light.

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2005, 09:28:26 AM »
I only wanted to know how much money she has to take to the interview.

The confusion is caused by bureaucrats at the embassies thinking the K-1 is an immigrant visa, and the stateside USCIS insisting the person is an non-immigrant.

I should know  :) (after working for Uncle Sugar for 15 years, I know how to think - cause confusion) :shock:

Offline Bruno

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2005, 09:30:31 AM »
[line]
I don't want to get crossthreaded with you again, but don't you think it's a bit strange for a Belgium national to lecture U.S. citizens about U.S. Immigration laws and rules? Where is your interest in this? Do you wish to immigrate as well?
[line]

Interresting question !!! I have a site with russian woman, and 43% of my visitor are from US... if i wish help my visitor, i need know and learn about the rule who apply to them...

And since i have link my site to these forum and i am member of these forum, i publish my search result here...

My interest? Help the majority of my visitor and people on these forum... Why? Because i like help people... it is only in my character... sometime, i can be hard ( maybe too much ) but the first function is help...

Why a Belgium help US citizen about US stuff... Why not ?... I have one quality ( yes, i have one )... i am good with computer and the internet... in short time, i can find the info needed on the net... and by experience, i know that several people use a computer and internet without know how they work... and if i can use these quality for help, it is not a problem for me... if the people i help are from Belgium, US, Russia, China, of everywhere, i don't make the difference...

Of course, i am not perfect, several time, i have mix my personal conviction to my post... usualy, a post like you have make now make me nerveous because i feel that nobody take me serious because i am not american... but now, after some bad experience, i don't see anymore the offence and i search the question... and reply to it...

In the case of these treat, i have try to reply the question of Faibro, same if i don't like him... i have see what have lead him to think he was right and i have inform him how to go more far in my second post, explain him to click the link and read the end of the page.

What to say more ? When you help a blind man for reach the other side of the street, what is your interest ? And same if you have not the same nationality, the same color, the same religion that these blind man, he is usually happy that you have help him !

« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 09:32:00 AM by Bruno »

Offline jb

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2005, 09:30:37 AM »
$100.00

Offline jb

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2005, 09:42:38 AM »
Bruno,

I'm sure you mean well, but for you to explain the immigration laws and rules of the USCIS here, is kinda like a Frenchman stopping a German on the streets of London and asking how to get to an address in Houston, Texas.

I simply suggest you leave some of those questions to those of us who have actually been there, and done that.

Offline Bruno

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2005, 10:05:14 AM »
What is the problem ? I think that my reply was full, with true info, and several links who prove it...

Oohhh, yes, i remember some post .... it is a american forum... english is not your mother language... and more...

Yes, you have right... why help people who don't wish receive help... one last post for help Elena...

Et au revoir

Offline jb

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2005, 11:38:09 AM »
Ahhh,,,,, Bruno,

Someone is getting defensive again..

My point was, until you have actually sat in on an AOS interview, and know 1st hand what questions are asked, and what documentation is required, been through the finger printing, sat and talked with the BCIS agent who will ultimately be the one who stamps the lady's passport, you really don't know anything about the process.  Quoting a web link is fine, but there's a good deal more to it than what you can read on the web.

For that, men should rely on others who have been through it all.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1880
Total: 1891

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM