It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: She did it! She Got the Visa!!!  (Read 16463 times)

She did it! She Got the Visa!!!
« on: October 18, 2005, 05:33:26 AM »

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Hello Everyone,

She did it! She got the visa!!! We are both elated!!!!

Now please forgive that I do not have as many details as I would like to give you, but when she called my head was foggy with sleep and we had a terrible connection.

This is what I remember:

Last night I dosed off at about 10:30pm not expecting a call until 12-2am. Well here I am just starting to count zzzz and the phone rings. No! It can't be over with already; it is only 11:09pm???? So of course I almost break my neck rushing to the phone with half my brain still in lala land.

It is Marina, God I love her voiceJ. She shouts my name a couple of times over the bad connection and Moscow street noise until she is sure she can her my response, "I'm here, I'm here!" Doug, Yes dear. "I got the visa!!!"

After this the details get blurry because as you can imagine my heart has just been filled to capacity with happiness and my thoughts only can process one thing, "I'm so happy, I'm so happy!" But I will try.

I did not have to prod her for details as she already new that I wanted them all so that I could relate them to you folks (well I want to know as well of course).

She told me that she arrived at 10 min. to 8. I did not get many details about check in but I will later. You can bet on this. Anyway she said they took very few papers from the big box of well organized documents she had to haul a ¼ of the way across her country. But she was glad for this and said she felt good to be so well prepared. Then she told me "It was soooo easy!" Two minutes at the most she said. The man called me to his window and asked very few questions. Sorry guys I don't remember them all. The two I remember is did he come to visit you in Moscow. She told them of our two week visit together. She showed him just one photo of us together. She said he was all smiles and very friendly. Then he asked where I lived. She told him my address in Phoenix and he then told her she was going to like it here as it is very warm, you will be granted the visa! You will get it in 2-3days!

That's it fellers, in and out. Like I said she called me at 11:09pm which means she was out on the street by 10:09am Moscow time. 2 hours total and she said there was 7-8 girls interviewed ahead of her by each (16 total) of the two interviewers, her guy and a woman. Of these only one was denied and it was for failing the chest x-ray part of the medical or something. Of course Marina did not know all the details on this.

I will talk to her as soon as I can but she is not home right now. I expect she is out celebrating with her family about now. If she tells me any interesting little details will pass them along to you. Until then now we just wait on DHL. The minute she gets the visa in hand she will call me. Then depending on the time I will buy her tickets as soon as I can for the very next flight. We are still hoping for Friday, but Saturday or Monday will do as well.

For all you guys who have interviews just around the corner; I can only hope your interviews are as pleasant and easy as Marinas. She was very happy about it and said it was very nice.

Good Luck Everybody and Thank You for all of your wonderful support!

My next post should be in the "My DHL Experience" thread.

Bye now,

Doug

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Hello everyone again,

First off let me say thank you all so much for your kind words, it means a lot to us.

OK, I just got off of the phone with Marina and now I have all the tastey little details. Anyone interested? LOL.

I will start with the first person she spoke to. This is the man that took her papers upon her arrival. She said he was Russian and only talked to her in Russian. He was all business but not rude or anything. She said he took very few papers: the invitation, the medical exam, the I-134, passport, photos, the police report, and the bio forms they sent her to fill out in Russian and then he took her fingerprints. She said that maybe he took something else but she does not remember.

After this she waited for her interview.

I was wrong; there were three interviewers not two. A large young woman, an older man of Latino decent (she thinks), and her interviewer a young dark haired good looking man. The only reason I mention the "Latino" label is because there has been a lot of controversy surrounding this mans interviewing techniques and we only know him as I described, no name or anything.

She also revised the interviews for me. The woman interviewed only one woman, the lady with medical problems for 30 minutes then she spent the rest of the time on the computer after the lady left. This is the chest problems; she did not get the visa, but she got lucky. They did interview her; she just needed to wait for the results of further testing from the clinic and she could bring these in one week. She should get the visa then.

As for the Latino man; he interviewed only one woman for a long time, maybe 30 minutes as well. Marina did not know for sure if she got the visa or not because she looked very tired after she left. But Marina had a feeling that she got it. This seems to be how most people feel after interviewing with this fellow. He turns this into a very trying ordeal when it really does not need to be.

Now they probably interviewed more after Marina left as there was about 30 people there total. Hmmm, I should have asked if they were all women, but I forgot, oh well.

Anyway she said she was watching woman after woman get interviewed by the 3rd guy, the handsome one, and she was praying that she got him as all of his interviews were very short and all girls were very happy and surprised at how easy he was on them. Well after about 8 girls that went before her, she did. She was very happy about this.

When she went to the window first he said hello in Russian, she said good morning in English. He smiled very big and said, "you speak English?" Marina replied "yes." The rest of the interview was conducted in English and she said he seemed very happy about this. Next he had her sign a paper that was a declaration that she would tell the truth. Then he started asking the questions. I told you the other two and three was only 2 more. Has she ever been to AZ and how long have we known each other. So in order it was like this.

Do you speak English?

How long have you known your Fiancé'?

Did he visit you in Russia?

Where does he live?

Have you ever been to AZ?

That was it. He told her how nice AZ was and that she would get the visa in 2-3 days. Then she left.

She went and had some Champaign with her family then she was taking a nap when I called just now.

We are very, very happy and now we can finally move on!

Thank you God! I will treat her right!

Doug

Offline KenC

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 05:48:07 AM »
Congrats!  Best wishes to you and your sweetie.

KenC
You are a den of vipers and thieves-Andrew Jackson on banks
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies-Thomas Jefferson

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 06:32:48 AM »
Doug,

Big Congradulations to you both! Keep us informed on how things progress for you both, especially after she gets here.

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Photo Guy

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 08:03:00 AM »
Doug,
Congratulations!
We must get together for lunch sometime.
-doug, in south Scottsdale

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 08:05:38 AM »
What was your NOA1 date?

Offline Bruno

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 08:26:11 AM »
Congratulation :D

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 10:43:33 AM »
Best of luck to both of you. :D

You actually slept the night before her interview? :shock:

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 11:02:45 AM »
Hi Guys,

My time-line is as follows:

12/23/04 - Met online
4/16/05 - Trip to Russia.
4/21/05 - I'm engaged.
5/02/05 - Sent I-129F to Touchamundo!
6/14/05 - NOA2 (The touch above was them sending me the notice) Got the email from USCIS on 6/15/05. Actually they sent two identical e-mails?? YEHAAAAA!
6/17/05 - NOA2 arrives via snail mail.
6/23/05 - NVC receives our case.
7/1/05 - NVC ships our case to Moscow.
7/5/05 - Package received by Embassy!
7/12/05 - Packet 4 sent. I found this out on 7/18/05.
7/14/05 - Got our interview date from the Embassy call center.
7/29/05 - Received Packet 4
10/13/05 - Medical at IMO
10/18/05 - Interview, Visa Granted!!!
10/21/05 - LA to PHX Booked, Still need Visa in hand before I book SVO to LA.
12/17/05 - Our Wedding Day!

As for lunch, that sounds good but it would be better would be to get together with the girls after Marina settles in. How old are you guys? I'm 38 and she is going to be 27 next month. I'd love for Marina to be able to be involved in any local Russian community that may be around. Are you guys (Doug) in touch with anyone else in the area? BTW I live in Chandler.

I will be sure to let you all know how things go as we progress. Actually I do not expect any major problems. I was married to a foreign woman before and I am fully prepared for the transitional challenges that will surely crop up. I will be there for her and together I know we will make it thorough the tough parts. I love her very much and I know she is sincere as well. We will make it!

As for sleeping, well you know I actually had no doubts that she would get the visa at this point. Like I said the only worry I had was the one fellow that gave Ray and Luda a hard time. He was there but I think they only use him on the cases that someone deems questionable. For Ray it was the age gap. But I was prepared and so was Marina. She would have made a very convincing argument to the validity of our love. She is very sharp. (A Russian trait I think):D.

So as for the sleep, yeah I got to sleep easy enough for about 1 hour before she called with the great news, but after this it took me hours to dose off again. Maybe I was a little excited:).

Now we just wait on the visa delivery. We wanted to do hold for pick up but the office near the embassy does not do this. The girl said Marina should have the visa by Thursday afternoon anyway, we will see. If so I will have her here on Friday or Saturday! Someone is going to have a good weekend!

Thank you all and Peace,

Doug
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 11:04:00 AM by doudis2 »

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 04:47:32 PM »
6 weeks between NOA1 and NOA2? :shock:

Where will they send the visa to?  

Community? There's a Russian Orthodox Church in
the valley...   Doug

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 06:35:49 PM »
I'm sorry the NOA1 date must have got deleted some time ago. It was on May 11, it took 34 days. Today is 170 since I sent the K1 package. I stop counting the moment the visa makes it into her hands!

She is staying with her cousin about 10 minutes from the embassy there in Moscow. This arrangement sure came in handy.

Yeah I found the church already, actually e-mailed them and asked about getting married there. But Marina said although she was raised Orthodox Christian, she does not practice so much. This is her call no doubt. I certainly will not push the issue.

I did find some nice stores near my moms house on 19th ave and Northern. There are a couple Russian stores with a restaruant across the street. I think they are Kyrg (spelling) refuges from about 10 years ago. Do you remember this?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 06:37:00 PM by doudis2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 11:25:43 PM »
[user=336]doudis2[/user] wrote:
I'm sorry the NOA1 date must have got deleted some time ago. It was on May 11, it took 34 days. Today is 170 since I sent the K1 package. I stop counting the moment the visa makes it into her hands!

She is staying with her cousin about 10 minutes from the embassy there in Moscow. This arrangement sure came in handy.

Yeah I found the church already, actually e-mailed them and asked about getting married there. But Marina said although she was raised Orthodox Christian, she does not practice so much. This is her call no doubt. I certainly will not push the issue.

I did findsome nice stores near my moms house on 19th ave and Northern. There area couple Russian stores with a restaruant across the street. I think they are Kyrg (spelling) refuges from about 10 years ago. Do you remember this?

Just a quick sidebar - I grew up VERY near where your Mom lives. My folks still live in that house - just across the street from what used to be called Chris-Town at 17th Ave and Bethany Home Rd. Not such a great neighborhood now - but a few decades back, it wasn't bad at all.

We visit about once a year at Christmas-time, and I'd be interested in any information you have about the Russian stores and restaurants on the west side of town.

And BTW - congrats on your good news!

- Dan

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 02:03:21 AM »
Can't talk now have to jump in the shower to go to work, but look here and click on STORES. This link is how I found the store I referred to. I went there and it is about the size of a party store, but it had a lot of Russian food products and some other stuff like videos and liquors. Then next door was a ceramic shop of sorts, all Russian stuff. Very pretty. Never ate at the restaurant.

Doug

http://www.russianaz.org/directory/index.htm

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 02:58:43 AM »
Hi Doug,

Congratulations.    That is great.   I am very happy for you.   I appreciated all the support you gave when we were having our problems too.   It is interesting to see the differences in acceptable proof.  Your gal had two show one photo and we were still in the not approved stage after showing about 20.   I think we ended up with showing them about 35 photos before we got the visa.

One of these days I will post a report on my experiences but I think I will wait until there is a conclusion one way or the other.   We are about 8 weeks into the 90 days.  It has been really interesting and we have had a lot of fun together and been a lot of places.    Sometime in the next week or so we need to make some final decisions but I am not sure if we will be shopping for wedding places or plane tickets.   Right now I would rate it 50-50

In your case I don't think that is something you will be facing so I would like to wish you a lifetime of happiness.    I am sure it will work out great.   It is really fascenating to see the differences in culture and the learning curve as they adapt to life in America.   You will really enjoy it.

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 03:05:12 AM »
Quote from: Turboguy
One of these days I will post a report on my experiences but I think I will wait until there is a conclusion one way or the other.   We are about 8 weeks into the 90 days.  It has been really interesting and we have had a lot of fun together and been a lot of places.    Sometime in the next week or so we need to make some final decisions but I am not sure if we will be shopping for wedding places or plane tickets.   Right now I would rate it 50-50

Turbo,

That doesn't sound too good for the future. I wish you the best but I hope that you both don't settle for something less than what you really want.

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 03:14:48 AM »
Thanks Ken,  I am sure we will try and make a wise choice.  In our case I think a little extra time would be an ideal situation but that is not too practical.   Luda was very shy when she first came here and that did not help.   She would basically run from people and I coudn't even get her to meet people from Russia.   

She has started to relax on that a bit and finds that people like her and enjoy talking to her and this has helped her mood a lot.   I think she felt very isolated sitting around the house with everything already cleaned so there was little to do.   I think she thought people would laugh at her because of her language.   Actually we do sometimes but she does not know it.   She is now working a few days a week in my office and when she needs to punch in she calls it chicken.   We come in and I tell her to go chicken.   We all chuckle a bit but she just goes to the time clock.  Actually her English is getting pretty good.   I hardly have to talk slow now.  Some of the words she has in her vocabulary amaze me. 

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 03:32:56 AM »
Elena has not been very impressed with the Russians she has met here so far. The only ones that she has a good connection with are a couple hours drive away so she can't just get together and have chai and girl chat. She really misses having a friend to chat with and misses her family very much. The phone just doesn't cut it for that part of it. Over all she's doing great and has been getting to like working at the fabric store better. She's also been working part time at a grocery store but will quit that one soon. She's sick of the teenagers who work with her and are picking on her language and being the general lazy teenager type.

We missed getting her started at the college this fall with our moving but when the next session starts up she will start classes. We're looking at some form of advanced ESL or a simple college composition class along with some childhood development classes or some basic medical type of classes. She'd like to teach children or get back into massage therapy. She wasn't too keen on classes early on but now that she's worked a bit she understands that she won't really get anywhere without the American education.

Ken
-- Louis K. Anspacher

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 03:58:46 AM »
Hi Ray,

You know I'm starting to think they have the decisions mostly made before the interviews on who will have it easy and who will face sharp scrutiny. This seems to result in who your interviewer will be and hence how smoothly things will go for you. In your case you have a good idea why you were put through the ringer. Is it right, no. But it is what it is. People just have so many preconceived ideas that we all must just do our best to work around the pitfalls. I'm so glad you and Luda have at least been given the opportunity to find out for yourselves if this is a long term situation or not. It is as it should be. This is your decision not the Dept. of States.

I wish you the best of luck with your final decision. Either way I'm sure you both are have some experiences to last a lifetime.

As for us; it is different maybe. We are not unsure. We know. Actually our biggest topic is not if she likes her new life or where will she work, but rather what do we want to name our children. We are in this for the long haul and I think shopping for a return ticket will not be in our future, but a new pediatrician will!

As for keeping Marina busy she tells me not to worry about this (but I do) because she will get out and get a life quickly. She is not shy at all. She was a teacher and she is most certainly a "people person." She will be just fine. She will adapt quite nicely I think. She is the best and I love her to pieces!

Doug

Offline Bruno

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 06:54:21 AM »
Quote from: Turboguy
Sometime in the next week or so we need to make some final decisions but I am not sure if we will be shopping for wedding places or plane tickets.   Right now I would rate it 50-50

50-50 :shock:... seriously, normaly the final decision is taken before the K1... the delay of the K1 is make for allow you to ready the marriage...

Again someone who use the K1 like a test periode... you was engaged to your lady without know if you will marry her or not...

Really, some people take this like a game and are not serious enough...

And if you are at 50-50 after 8 week, i don't know if you will be able to reach the 100% for next week... if you don't reach the 100%, don't marry... :(

Offline Son of Clyde

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 11:01:21 AM »
Those Russians are everywhere.

I have already visited 3 Russian supermarkets, been to 2 Ukrainian festivals, seen 2 fairly authentic looking Russian Orthodox churches, been to a few picnics and seen some locally produced Russian newspapers and websites in the Baltimore,DC area. This is great and makes my wife feel a little more in touch with Russian people. It's not helping her English very much but that will come in due time.

Offline Voyageur

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 12:51:41 AM »
Ray,

I hope everything works out for you and Luda. My now-wife arrived a few weeks before your Luda, so we are experiencing everything at about the same time.

Isolation is the biggest problem for my wife. She had an active social and family life in Russia, and now is stuck at home when I am working. I used most of my vacation time up, when I was visiting her, meeting her in Moscow and for our honeymoon :). She had a great life and standard of living in Russia also, and I have a very good job but have struggled to keep pace with her usual finanical postion. She was very successful in her business in Russia, and her family and ex-were also. She is very reasonable and practical with our money, however. I really do not understand how someone can go into this without a substantial savings and without being in a good position. It is a must to spend money on your house, to make her feel at home and that she can make it her own, I have found. I smiled when I read that your house was clean when Luda arrived - mine was also (at least I thought it was) - but my wife took great pleasure in cleaning everything (making order) immediately, including the basement. I protested but she wanted to do this, and it made it more her home and more comfortable living there. I did not throw out any of my old family's pictures, or even pictures of my adventures with Jack Bragg's tour in Ukraine, and you can bet she was very interested in these!!!

We know that we are made only for each other, but still have some bumps in our relationship. And honestly, these bumps have been due mostly from me (and my family - don't ask!). It has been wonderful.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2005, 09:26:04 AM »
SUCCESS, VISA IS IN HAND!! TICKETS ARE PURCHASED!!!

Marina had to rush her butt across town in the middle of the night to a place she has never been (DHL Main office) and get there before they closed, but she did it! She got there just in time to pick up her embassy package. It has her passport with a beautiful new VISA in it and the envelope for POE officals.

Now I'm excited, big time!

I just bought Marina's ticket:

SVO to LAX on Sat for $640.10 total which includes the $50 xfer fee.

I bought it from the Washington office as it seems to have the best customer service. I get the same woman evertime I call, Latinka. She is very kind and helpful. I recommend her highly if you wish to use Aeroflot with a credit card. And I challenge anyone to beat this price! PH# 888-686-4949

After this I went to the Southwest Air website and changed my fully refundable/changeable tickets to the proper times.

If all goes well we should be back in my house snuggled up to a nice cozy fire drinking Champaign by Sat. at 10pm!

God do I feel good right now !

Good luck to all. Hold for pickup if you can. It saved us 2-3 days!

Peace,
Doug

--------------------

12/23/04 - Met online
4/16/05 - Trip to Russia.
4/21/05 - I'm engaged.
5/02/05 - Sent I-129F to CSC.
5/04/05 - I-129F delivered.
5/11/05 - Actual NOA1 date.
5/13/05 - They cash my check.
5/16/05 - NOA1 via snailmail!
5/17/05 - Made a mistake on I-129F that. Sent letter of explanation.
5/19/05 - Mistake notice delivered.
6/14/05 - NOA2 Email notify on 6/15/05.
6/17/05 - NOA2 arrives via snail mail.
6/23/05 - NVC receives our case.
7/1/05 - NVC ships our case to Moscow.
7/5/05 - Package received by Embassy!
7/12/05 - Packet 4 sent. I found this out on 7/18/05.
7/14/05 - Got interview date via Embassy call center.
7/29/05 - Received Packet 4
10/13/05 - Medical at IMO
10/18/05 - Interview, Visa Granted!!!
10/20/05 - Picked up Visa from DHL. Bought tickets.
10/22/05 - Marina flys to America!!!
12/17/05 - Our Wedding Day!

Offline MandM

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2005, 12:28:29 PM »
Quote from: Bruno
50-50 :shock:... seriously, normaly the final decision is taken before the K1... the delay of the K1 is make for allow you to ready the marriage...

Again someone who use the K1 like a test periode... you was engaged to your lady without know if you will marry her or not...

Really, some people take this like a game and are not serious enough...

And if you are at 50-50 after 8 week, i don't know if you will be able to reach the 100% for next week... if you don't reach the 100%, don't marry... :(

Bruno, I wouldn't be so harsh on Turbo. It's not like you don't know the guy! He's not one week wonder, he spent loads of time with Luda, and has been travelling to Russia every few months. But getting along during those trips doesn't mean that it is all going to be lovely when she comes to the US and they start living together. Though I am happy for doudis and wish him well, but his fiancee hasn't even arrived yet. It is easy to be excited at this stage but it's not too easy to honestly say "we are having difficulties and I don't know if it's going to work out or not." I wish you all the best Turbo. Just don't make any decisions that you might regret later. Good luck. :)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 12:48:59 PM »
Quote from: MandM
Just don't make any decisions that you might regret later. Good luck. :)

That next to last sentence has to be some of the most sage advice ever offered on this (or any) board. :clapping:

- Dan

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2005, 03:39:01 AM »
Only 35 hours until happiness! Flight lands in LAX at 4:50pm Sat.

Good news of the day is she went to Aeroflot and picked up her ticket with no complications whatsoever, which if you have ever delt with Aeroflt is quite a blessing:P.

Ok folks time to prepare for the best day of my life!

Doug

Offline Son of Clyde

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005, 03:54:28 AM »
I am pulling for Turboguy.

He has been the most supportive of me and we have even spoken on the phone.

I had posted that my situation was 50/50 and now it is about 80/20 that we will make it. It took almost 3 months to realise that she thinks these arguments we have had are constructive and help her to learn more about me.

Her only complaint is that I can get nervous because I do not express anger like most people. I grew up supressing anger because I was a very shy child and I was an only child. My anger shows up in the tone of my voice.

I think Turboguy has revealed himself to be a very kind and considerate person and I am sure it is clear to his fiance that he wants the relationship to succeed. The only thing that may be a problem is the age difference and in this day and age it is a matter of how young you feel and act. I am 55 and I act 12 sometimes and other times I act 75.

I wish everyone success in this endeaver and take what is said on the board with a grain of salt.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541299
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3825
Most Online Ever: 12701