It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Ukraine agencies  (Read 16542 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Ukraine agencies
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »
Nice girl in the bikini. wonder if she knows you're posting her pics publicly on a forum.  probably won't be too happy to find out.

:ROFL:

The  'Girl' is but a coupe of months from starting her SIXTH decade and the photo  was taken on Thursday - by me - from the UK

She  is in Cyprus - you know the place you claimed isn't a place where FSU folk invest anymore ))

As she does modelling work - you'll excuse the guffaw at her 'not being happy' ....

Do you always divert and obfuscate, SO much ?

Now, 'Mr dating expert'   tell us about your FSU g/f / fiancee / Wife   

Offline andrewj

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 11:46:56 PM »
guys give this Trenchcoat the flick otherwise he hijacks threads.

Has anyone used this? or is this no good?

http://www.ukrainedate.com

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 11:55:14 PM »

On TC -- I have stated repeatedly that ALL his posts should be moved and ONLY in his own thread. Your observation is correct.

On websites --the general comments you need are on the forum -- search for threads  =Anastasia Date, Hot Russian Brides, Russian Love Match,Dream Marriage   etc etc etc etc  --  the comments on any of these sites mostly applies in principle to them all --and I am over repeating and repeating etc .
Also try searching my posts,Jumper,alex330   for the REAL information from people that get it all first hand ( & are not regurgitating something only 1/4 understood on forum !!).
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Blighty

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 12:28:46 AM »

The only way is for you to join it and see what happens.

Google the site name and look for feedback.

UK Trustpilot is a reliable review site, where Ukrainedate scores 2/5 stars ... see http://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ukrainedate.com

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Re: Trench's Questions and Philosophies
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 03:03:09 AM »
Now there's a surprise ( not)

Haven't you learnt ANY THING about women - let alone FSU women.  Many like a man who can father their kid(s) future or existing.  Your criteria simply cuts down your ( remote - sorry - it's your attitude ) chances

'Problem' is not the adjective I associate with children

Trench, you talk utter hogwash... There are SO many FSU ladies in their late twenties / early thirties that are / were career girls and might appreciate a family orientated guy... You DO know that family can mean just you and her- as a unit in FSU speak ?

Women with children is fine if the guy has already had children it can add to the family unit (as we know it in the west). This can be especially true in terms of cobbling together broken families to make them more functional once again. Now some single guys without children have no hang ups over a woman with kids. I don't have a problem with the kids so much as I like children but I don't see why I should clean up after some other guys sex life. So I wouldn't rule then out completely though I would not apply for them on online dating sites as they would not be a situation I would feel would be the way I would intend to go.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:10:18 AM by Trenchcoat »
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2018, 03:09:06 AM »

That's it no more help from me on this forum for you! I think you will regret it, you are clearly without a clue as even this post demonstrates. What is it with Aussie guys,  I find them all so obtuse. Well no more posts from me to you on any off your threads I will merely sit back and watch the fun unravel :D :popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:11:19 AM by Trenchcoat »
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2018, 03:44:01 AM »
The only way is for you to join it and see what happens.

Google the site name and look for feedback.

UK Trustpilot is a reliable review site, where Ukrainedate scores 2/5 stars ... see http://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ukrainedate.com

Hi blighty

Trustpilot 'reliable' ?????

Give a firm a bad review and they bury it

They pay Trustpilot...this is a huge scam

Offline Blighty

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2018, 04:19:42 AM »
Hi blighty

Trustpilot 'reliable' ?????

Give a firm a bad review and they bury it

They pay Trustpilot...this is a huge scam

It is all down to personal opinion! Obviously I have a less cynical view than you about Trustpilot. There is no smoke without fire! We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Let Andrew try the site and form his own conclusions,

Offline andrewj

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2018, 05:07:24 AM »
no problems guys I will go through what everyone has said instead of more questions

Offline msmob

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2018, 05:14:43 AM »
It is all down to personal opinion! Obviously I have a less cynical view than you about Trustpilot. There is no smoke without fire! We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Let Andrew try the site and form his own conclusions,

Hardly, Direct experience ..two times.

Used a builder. .bad work, ignored by list of complaints and wrote and honest review. .buried.. Won in arbitration hearing ..mentioned this on Trustpilot. .buried..

Same with an aggregating  courier firm.. Trustpilot buried my legit  poor preview

There will be legislation  concerning these reviews sites. .They are not honest...they are actually misleading

Offline Boomstick77

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2018, 05:31:17 AM »

Are you referring toy agencies or Ukrainian folk, in general ?

Ukrainians love getting something by either bribing or thinking they haggled a lower price in a street market to taking westerners for a ride. It’s a badge of honor. If a westerner ever bought a used car and you got the salesman to lower the price considerably..you’d also think you know how to work people. If we think we can get away with something we all do it. It’s human nature. When the fall of Soviet Union hit...sh*t got really pretty quick. When payday went from money to noodles and rice. Survival means doing everything and anything. People stole from work and went to the next city over to sell what they took. My wife’s mother used to take them to the market to sample food with no intentions on buying anything because they had no money. Look on dobovo versus OLX for prices to rent apartments or taxis at the airport looking to make some good coin. Even the teens are creative by purchasing a see through box and making a photocopy of the war and saying support Ukraine..foreigners are suckers putting money in those boxes because they think they are supporting Ukraine when it’s probably being spent at the mall or whatever. These peoples emotions are like zombies and it’s intriguing...one day I said to my wife..I want to see how many people actually move without us ramming into each other’s shoulders...I nailed 20 people in a few minutes before my wife asked me to be good. When you have two ways to say hello which is one for strangers and the other for friends and family...something is up. There’s a reason why Ukrainians don’t ask for directions is because they know each other’s ways. They think someone is trying to get something from them other then how to get to a location. There’s a reason why it’s not a pickup cuiture versus the western world. If you see someone you think is hot waiting in line in North America...if your charming you can start up a conversation and chances are you might pull something off...in Ukraine it’s very uncommon to do that because you could be crazy to them or just off in the head. As soon as you wrap their culture around your head...it’s very easy to exploit. You have the upper hand as they are very shy when a westerner walks through the door. They think we’re better then them. How easy is that after knowing that information. I was glad that my personality has pricky side effects as saying sorry is something I don’t do and I found in their culture it’s considered weak..growing up being in trouble all the time seems to have benefitted me in the long run as my wife thinks it’s funny. Why would she think it’s funny..it’s because i also do what I have to do to get what I want. Money issues seems to be everyone’s biggest worry on these forums when we have are own motives as well. Hmmm..it’s because everyone wants to end up with a hot chick. There’s plenty of average western girls that can be sweet and make great housewives as well.. I knew plenty of sweet girls with an awesome sense of humor except they all weighed about 150 pounds. At least I was upfront when I first met my wife and she asked me what do I prefer...personality or looks..I said looks..I said any man that tells you differently is full of sh*t. If I’m approaching you or talking to you...you’ve attracted me by your hotness...after we get talking then I see if you have any depth to you. I said if women didn’t have what’s between their legs then what would be the attraction.  We’re technically no different in our pursuits. We want a hot chick that has the personality from the 1950s and they want a man that can financially take care of them but treat them good and start a family. We look for beauty..they seek money. But you find equal ground by your personality if it’s soemthing unique. So when I say it’s a badge of honor to rip people off over there..it’s true..but I’m no different and a lot of other people aren’t because we all do the same thing just in different ways...I always tease my wife by saying that I love the way she is because I don’t have to corrupt her because she’s already came that way. Actually I’m the bad one but that’s the best thing about Ukrainian women..they support you in everything.

Offline msmob

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2018, 07:51:52 AM »
Ukrainians love getting something by either bribing or thinking they haggled a lower price in a street market to taking westerners for a ride. It’s a badge of honor. If a westerner ever bought a used car and you got the salesman to lower the price considerably..you’d also think you know how to work people. If we think we can get away with something we all do it. It’s human nature. When the fall of Soviet Union hit...sh*t got really pretty quick. When payday went from money to noodles and rice. Survival means doing everything and anything. People stole from work and went to the next city over to sell what they took. My wife’s mother used to take them to the market to sample food with no intentions on buying anything because they had no money. Look on dobovo versus OLX for prices to rent apartments or taxis at the airport looking to make some good coin. Even the teens are creative by purchasing a see through box and making a photocopy of the war and saying support Ukraine..foreigners are suckers putting money in those boxes because they think they are supporting Ukraine when it’s probably being spent at the mall or whatever. These peoples emotions are like zombies and it’s intriguing...one day I said to my wife..I want to see how many people actually move without us ramming into each other’s shoulders...I nailed 20 people in a few minutes before my wife asked me to be good. When you have two ways to say hello which is one for strangers and the other for friends and family...something is up. There’s a reason why Ukrainians don’t ask for directions is because they know each other’s ways. They think someone is trying to get something from them other then how to get to a location. There’s a reason why it’s not a pickup cuiture versus the western world. If you see someone you think is hot waiting in line in North America...if your charming you can start up a conversation and chances are you might pull something off...in Ukraine it’s very uncommon to do that because you could be crazy to them or just off in the head. As soon as you wrap their culture around your head...it’s very easy to exploit. You have the upper hand as they are very shy when a westerner walks through the door. They think we’re better then them. How easy is that after knowing that information. I was glad that my personality has pricky side effects as saying sorry is something I don’t do and I found in their culture it’s considered weak..growing up being in trouble all the time seems to have benefitted me in the long run as my wife thinks it’s funny. Why would she think it’s funny..it’s because i also do what I have to do to get what I want. Money issues seems to be everyone’s biggest worry on these forums when we have are own motives as well. Hmmm..it’s because everyone wants to end up with a hot chick. There’s plenty of average western girls that can be sweet and make great housewives as well.. I knew plenty of sweet girls with an awesome sense of humor except they all weighed about 150 pounds. At least I was upfront when I first met my wife and she asked me what do I prefer...personality or looks..I said looks..I said any man that tells you differently is full of sh*t. If I’m approaching you or talking to you...you’ve attracted me by your hotness...after we get talking then I see if you have any depth to you. I said if women didn’t have what’s between their legs then what would be the attraction.  We’re technically no different in our pursuits. We want a hot chick that has the personality from the 1950s and they want a man that can financially take care of them but treat them good and start a family. We look for beauty..they seek money. But you find equal ground by your personality if it’s soemthing unique. So when I say it’s a badge of honor to rip people off over there..it’s true..but I’m no different and a lot of other people aren’t because we all do the same thing just in different ways...I always tease my wife by saying that I love the way she is because I don’t have to corrupt her because she’s already came that way. Actually I’m the bad one but that’s the best thing about Ukrainian women..they support you in everything.

Matey, ANY chance of you breaking your responses into readable paragraph chunks ?

You'll find this picky, but please hear me out ...

You have a viewpoint and I want it heard

Offline JayH

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2018, 08:13:18 AM »
Matey, ANY chance of you breaking your responses into readable paragraph chunks ?

You'll find this picky, but please hear me out ...

You have a viewpoint and I want it heard

Ukrainians love getting something by either bribing or thinking they haggled a lower price in a street market to taking westerners for a ride. It’s a badge of honor. If a westerner ever bought a used car and you got the salesman to lower the price considerably..you’d also think you know how to work people. If we think we can get away with something we all do it. It’s human nature.

When the fall of Soviet Union hit...sh*t got really pretty quick. When payday went from money to noodles and rice. Survival means doing everything and anything. People stole from work and went to the next city over to sell what they took. My wife’s mother used to take them to the market to sample food with no intentions on buying anything because they had no money. Look on dobovo versus OLX for prices to rent apartments or taxis at the airport looking to make some good coin. Even the teens are creative by purchasing a see through box and making a photocopy of the war and saying support Ukraine..foreigners are suckers putting money in those boxes because they think they are supporting Ukraine when it’s probably being spent at the mall or whatever.

These peoples emotions are like zombies and it’s intriguing...one day I said to my wife..I want to see how many people actually move without us ramming into each other’s shoulders...I nailed 20 people in a few minutes before my wife asked me to be good. When you have two ways to say hello which is one for strangers and the other for friends and family...something is up.

There’s a reason why Ukrainians don’t ask for directions is because they know each other’s ways. They think someone is trying to get something from them other then how to get to a location. There’s a reason why it’s not a pickup cuiture versus the western world. If you see someone you think is hot waiting in line in North America...if your charming you can start up a conversation and chances are you might pull something off...in Ukraine it’s very uncommon to do that because you could be crazy to them or just off in the head. As soon as you wrap their culture around your head...it’s very easy to exploit. You have the upper hand as they are very shy when a westerner walks through the door. They think we’re better then them.

How easy is that after knowing that information. I was glad that my personality has pricky side effects as saying sorry is something I don’t do and I found in their culture it’s considered weak..growing up being in trouble all the time seems to have benefitted me in the long run as my wife thinks it’s funny. Why would she think it’s funny..it’s because i also do what I have to do to get what I want. Money issues seems to be everyone’s biggest worry on these forums when we have are own motives as well. Hmmm..it’s because everyone wants to end up with a hot chick.

There’s plenty of average western girls that can be sweet and make great housewives as well.. I knew plenty of sweet girls with an awesome sense of humor except they all weighed about 150 pounds. At least I was upfront when I first met my wife and she asked me what do I prefer...personality or looks..I said looks..I said any man that tells you differently is full of sh*t. If I’m approaching you or talking to you...you’ve attracted me by your hotness...after we get talking then I see if you have any depth to you. I said if women didn’t have what’s between their legs then what would be the attraction.

We’re technically no different in our pursuits. We want a hot chick that has the personality from the 1950s and they want a man that can financially take care of them but treat them good and start a family. We look for beauty..they seek money. But you find equal ground by your personality if it’s soemthing unique.

So when I say it’s a badge of honor to rip people off over there..it’s true..but I’m no different and a lot of other people aren’t because we all do the same thing just in different ways...I always tease my wife by saying that I love the way she is because I don’t have to corrupt her because she’s already came that way.

Actually I’m the bad one but that’s the best thing about Ukrainian women..they support you in everything.

How much time have you spent in Ukraine? At any one time? On how many occasions?When originally?

It is all to easy to write of only the negatives as you see them -- and in degrees I may not dispute a lot of what you have said -but --much of what you wrote is just people anywhere  eg  I got ripped off by a taxi at Heathrow ,haggling is de rigueur in parts of my business -it is called negotiating  and to feel comfortable with any purchase is normal everyday fact of life .

It is a tougher world -no disputing that. A dog eat dog,survival of the fittest and strongest is real enough and with very little protection from laws it is no place for weaklings.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:15:42 AM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline BdHvA

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2018, 08:28:14 AM »
Ukrainians love getting something by either bribing or thinking they haggled a lower price in a street market to taking westerners for a ride. . . . .  Actually I’m the bad one but that’s the best thing about Ukrainian women..they support you in everything.

Lets start with the reality you are not a Gonzo journalist.

You most likely have never read any Russian/Ukraine literature and have never hear any Stravinsky or Rimsky-Kosakov.

Have you ever renovated a Stalinist period apartment in Ukraine?

As for knowing Ukraine women they will clearly say when you are wrong.

Perhaps you acquired a blow up doll marked made in 'The Ukraine', at the very least keep the PSI correctly inflated.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »
Lets start with the reality you are not a Gonzo journalist.

You most likely have never read any Russian/Ukraine literature and have never hear any Stravinsky or Rimsky-Kosakov.

Have you ever renovated a Stalinist period apartment in Ukraine?

As for knowing Ukraine women they will clearly say when you are wrong.

Perhaps you acquired a blow up doll marked made in 'The Ukraine', at the very least keep the PSI correctly inflated.

:applause:
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 09:15:21 AM »
So when I say it’s a badge of honor to rip people off over there..it’s true..

I had a Russian woman marriage agency owner tell me that for a male Russian or Ukrainian agency marriage owner to make their businesses respectable to other RM/UM is to turn them into scam operations.

Offline alex330

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »
Dunno, a lot of what broomstick says I find is actually true. And I don't see it all as negative as others do, just a part of their current culture.

Ukrainians love getting something by either bribing or thinking they haggled a lower price in a street market to taking westerners for a ride. It’s a badge of honor

Yes, among the older population and in markets you are expected to haggle. Same as in the Middle East. Something is wrong with you otherwise. And many vendors try to cheat buyers in the markets by watering down milk, or shorting weight in veggies and so on. That is why there is an official scale at the front of each market. As Western style stores start coming in this is disappearing though.

When the fall of Soviet Union hit...sh*t got really pretty quick. When payday went from money to noodles and rice. Survival means doing everything and anything. People stole from work and went to the next city over to sell what they took. My wife’s mother used to take them to the market to sample food with no intentions on buying anything because they had no money.

It's still that way for many Ukrainians. There are many living off $70 per month and eating pasta and potatoes. You can find video's of babushkas digging through dumpsters for scraps because the pensions are so low.

I want to see how many people actually move without us ramming into each other’s shoulders...I nailed 20 people in a few minutes before my wife asked me to be good.

Yes, in lines they are pushy and bump you. Like you I just shove back or shoulder check and they get the hint very quickly.

There’s a reason why Ukrainians don’t ask for directions is because they know each other’s ways. They think someone is trying to get something from them other then how to get to a location. There’s a reason why it’s not a pickup cuiture versus the western world. If you see someone you think is hot waiting in line in North America...if your charming you can start up a conversation and chances are you might pull something off...in Ukraine it’s very uncommon to do that because you could be crazy to them or just off in the head

Never heard the directions one. I have always seen them ask each other for directions. And men do walk over to women and approach them quite often I find. But yes, you don't normally walk up or smile at someone. That means you are slow in the head, laughing at them, or mentally ill.

best thing about Ukrainian women..they support you in everything.

Agreed. They may give you grief or snap a bit here and there, but will stand by your side and support you as long as you are trying to do the right thing.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:27:30 AM by alex330 »

Offline msmob

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
I don't see why I should clean up after some other guys sex life. So I wouldn't rule then out completely though I would not apply for them on online dating sites as they would not be a situation I would feel would be the way I would intend to go.

..and as I said you are just being unrealistic and WILL fail in this endeavour while you continue to think as you do ..

Really, do you expect to find a virgin who has been waiting - just for you ....  ?

Offline ML

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2018, 10:24:25 AM »
Really, do you expect to find a virgin who has been waiting - just for you ....  ?

Violent jihadis know their reward will come in heaven, in the shape of 72 virgins - but not apparently if they are killed by women.

Koranic verses or poetry promising 72 virgins in paradise to jihadists who die in battle have been used frequently by radical imams and extremist groups as a recruitment tool.

However, it seems that male fighters are unclear about whether dying at the hand of a woman comes with the expected reward.

Women have long been a feature of Kurdish peshmerga forces. Now many from threatened towns and villages are signing up to join all-women units to fend off Isil forces who are threatening to overrun their homeland.

Tekoshin, a 27-year-old female Kurdish soldier, fighting in northern Iraq recently told AFP she had joined the struggle to protect women's rights.  She said many women knew the power they held over their opposition.

"I think [they] were more afraid of us than of the men," she said.
"They believe they'll go to hell if they die at a woman's hands."
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Trench's Questions and Philosophies
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2018, 01:08:31 PM »
Violent jihadis know their reward will come in heaven, in the shape of 72 virgins - but not apparently if they are killed by women.

Koranic verses or poetry promising 72 virgins in paradise to jihadists who die in battle have been used frequently by radical imams and extremist groups as a recruitment tool.

However, it seems that male fighters are unclear about whether dying at the hand of a woman comes with the expected reward.

Women have long been a feature of Kurdish peshmerga forces. Now many from threatened towns and villages are signing up to join all-women units to fend off Isil forces who are threatening to overrun their homeland.

Tekoshin, a 27-year-old female Kurdish soldier, fighting in northern Iraq recently told AFP she had joined the struggle to protect women's rights.  She said many women knew the power they held over their opposition.

"I think [they] were more afraid of us than of the men," she said.
"They believe they'll go to hell if they die at a woman's hands."

The Jihadi's have plenty of silly superstitions.

Trump should instruct the US military to make 5 videos of 
putting pig blood in military munitions and armaments and
then making a HUGE deal of denying that we actually do it
then releasing the second video, wait a week and then make
a even more huge deal of denying it and draw it out for a
month or two.

At the same time he should send a few pigs to where ever
they are fighting ISIS and giving a press conference that
the pigs are not part of a plan to either inject pig blood into
the munitions and the pigs are especially not part of any plan
to bury with Ali Jihadi's.

He shouldn't forget to show videos of the pigs getting loaded
and unloaded from the aircraft while repeating the disclaimer
that the pigs aren't part of some nefarious plan.

The jihadi's have simple minds there isn't any good reason
not to screw with them.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Boethius

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »
Yes, among the older population and in markets you are expected to haggle. Same as in the Middle East. Something is wrong with you otherwise.

That is untrue.  Although haggling is expected, there are people there that just can't do it, or don't do it well.

And many vendors try to cheat buyers in the markets by watering down milk, or shorting weight in veggies and so on. That is why there is an official scale at the front of each market. As Western style stores start coming in this is disappearing though.

There have always been (since the end of NEP) Western style stores, called "gastronoms".  They were state run, with state prices.  One could not haggle in those stores.  In most gastronoms, you would have to line up and ask for your produce, which would then be weighed.  There were stores where you could take goods yourself, but only bread or canned goods.  The Soviets tried self service, with candy, but people were eating it in the store, rather than paying for it, so that stopped.  There was one gastronom in Kyiv that was Western style (self service), in Pechersk.

Never heard the directions one. I have always seen them ask each other for directions.

I have as well.  Also which buses to take to get to a particular place.  I suppose it depends on which city one is in.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:03:50 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2018, 02:05:31 PM »
Bo'
   what was the big GUM store on Kryshattick like back in the CCCP period?  what was some of the strangest stuff you could buy in there back then?

Offline alex330

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2018, 02:11:56 PM »
That is untrue.  Although haggling is expected, there are people there that just can't do it, or don't do it well.

There have always been (since the end of NEP) Western style stores, called "gastronoms".  They were state run, with state prices.  One could not haggle in those stores.  In most gastronoms, you would have to line up and ask for your produce, which would then be weighed.  There were stores where you could take goods yourself, but only bread or canned goods.  The Soviets tried self service, with candy, but people were eating it in the store, rather than paying for it, so that stopped. 

I am sure some people are horrible at haggling. And my experience is only with one city - Odesa, so like you mention it may vary depending on region or city. But haggling is expected in the outdoor markets like 7km. And maybe moreso in Odesa since it is a port city? Odesa has self service for the produce dept in many of the Western style supermarkets right now.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »

Bo'
   what was the big GUM store on Kryshattick like back in the CCCP period?  what was some of the strangest stuff you could buy in there back then?

TSUM (цум)

It was five floors, and had clothing, shoes, jewelry, a small sporting goods section in the corner on the main floor, and records.  The fifth floor was storage.  I did not buy clothing or shoes, but I did buy records there. 

ETA - I don't recall anything strange sold there.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:01:48 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2018, 02:14:59 PM »

I am sure some people are horrible at haggling. And my experience is only with one city - Odesa, so like you mention it may vary depending on region or city. But haggling is expected in the outdoor markets like 7km. And maybe moreso in Odesa since it is a port city? Odesa has self service for the produce dept in many of the Western style supermarkets right now.

I'm not saying it isn't expected, just that some people can't do so, and will pay full price, if they can afford it.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540998
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1975
Total: 1985

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM