It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Russian Language Primer?  (Read 14821 times)

Offline Vaughn

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: No Selection
Russian Language Primer?
« on: August 26, 2006, 10:29:14 AM »
I've been wondering if there would be enough interest among
the membership-at-large for a simple yet comprehensive set
of basic language lessons? This would be a regimen of vocabulary
from which simple sentences could be built - with anglicized
prounciations - or would I be wasting time since phrase books
are readily available? An intermediate section is also possible.
Is RWD an appropriate avenue for this?
Any input, suggestions, criticisms appreciated....

Vaughn

Offline TexasBoar

• Trips: None (yet)
Re: Russian Language Primer?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 10:38:12 AM »
How interactive?

I've been looking at CD-ROM based language programs lately, as I'd like to brush up on my (defunct) college German and add a bit of Russian (Half Price Books tends to have them in the $5-10 range; it's just whether I'll really DO it or not). 

I'd be more interested in reviews of various offerings from members who've tried them out than an onsite approach, myself.

~Boar

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 10:46:43 AM »
Boar,

Man, having learned long ago from Soviet-era teachers
in the USAF, I'm so "old-school" that I've never touched
the CD-ROM's - but I've heard consistently good feedback
about Pimsleur.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 11:20:53 AM »
I figure if I can keep up with our 2 year old, in a couple years I should be pretty fluent.

I actually did learn a good bit from the rosetta stone course.  Around the house I'm picking up maybe a word a day between family and RU TV.  RU news is my favorite because you can pretty much guess what's going on.

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 02:51:39 PM »
BC, TV is a language professor - I swear my Elvira learned
half her vocabulary watching Lifetime and Home & Garden channel.

Offline Turboguy

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 07:51:42 PM »
Pimsler is ok.  I think a lot of it is how your mind works.  (Sometimes mine does not work at all).  The nicest part of Pimsler is you can do it in time that would be wasted otherwise.  I just started Pimsleur 3.   For general info there are 16 cd's and 32 lessons per set.  That puts me at lessons 65 & 66 and on my 33rd cd.  I find it really slow learning.  There is so much repetition that it is hard to stay focused.  I have to listen to each cd 10 to 20 times to really absorb it.  I figure I learn a new word about every 2 hours of listening.  It does give you some re-inforcement of what you already know which is good.  Of course you are only learning spoken Russian there is not written Russian taught with Pimsler.

The other one that seems to be spoken well of is Rosetta Stone.  You can learn new words much faster with Rosetta stone but it does take dedicated time.  Yes, I also have that but find it hard to devote the time.  Too busy reading RWD. 

If I have found a secret weapon for learning Russian it is a book I bought for $ 14.95 from Berlitz.  I am estimating I can add a new word about every 5 minutes with that book.

Just for the record I have also tried the transparent Languages program for the computer which I like but it does not seem to run on my new computer and Barron's Russian which was billed as the offical program of the state department and it sucked, and Russian fast and Easy which was my first one and was cheap and descent.  Actually a couple of my tapes got stolen in a break in and I just bought another copy with tapes on Ebay for $ 3.75 plus shipping.

Offline prince_alfie

• Welcome to the Iao PROJECTS, my art gallery.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 08:06:24 AM »
I found the Pimsleur in mp3 format actually... works very well!

On the other hand, I have been using the Lonely Planet Russian cheat book. Small and portable and I can pick up 1-2 words a day/week... :)
Not existing anymore. Please disregard this account as hacked. Thanks very much for your interest.

Offline TexasBoar

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 10:10:04 AM »
I picked up the "Total Immersion" CD-ROM course in German, and will see how well it works for a language I've had prior instruction in . . . if it goes well, I'll add Russian.  It's got an "eFlash Card" feature that should be good for vocabulary building.

I don't think TV alone would work for me.  I used to watch the Spanish language channels when I was dating Vivi, and never picked up a lick.

~Boar

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 11:38:26 AM »
Rosetta Stone is pretty much a flash card type of thing Boar.   I think it is a good way to build your vocabulary.  I have a hard time dedicating the time to it though.

I have the Lonely Planet book too Alfie.  I get a kick out of some of the phrases in the book which was the main reason I bought it.  There are more sexual phrases that make me laugh than I could have believed.  I show some of those around sometimes.  I never had much luck learning Russian with it though. 

Vaughn, back to your original suggestion of some Russian Language lessons, I think some guys would like that.  I think it is a good idea.  If it went over it might even be good to set a time in the chat room for everyone to help each other and to practice live.

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 03:51:13 PM »
There are more sexual phrases that make me laugh than I could have believed.... I never had much luck learning Russian with it though. 

Learn a few of those, and your luck might change. Not recommended
as an opening line, but sure to energize idle tabletalk:

Когда мои губы и язык будут упиваться твоим прекрасным,
сочным телом, твои стоны наслаждения будут слышны в
Южной Африке....

=  When my lips and tongue revel on your beautiful,
luscious body, your moans of pleasure will be heard
in South Africa....

Maybe love phrases will generate more interest, but
heck - I've coached a few new linguists one-on-one.
BTW, married guys - your wives just might respond
very favorably to the OMB with a fresh and seductive phrase.

Offline prince_alfie

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 07:20:18 AM »
South Africa? My goodness, how hilarious!  :D

Of course sex and geography for me, do mix. I think that cartography is one of the most sensual subjects around.
Not existing anymore. Please disregard this account as hacked. Thanks very much for your interest.

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 08:47:35 AM »
Of course sex and geography for me, do mix. I think that cartography is one of the most sensual subjects around.
Are you having frequent intercourse with inflatable earth globes ?
Also considering your other post :
Hey, hey, hey. I think pregnant cute women are cute... I would... [censored]
you should seek the professional help of a fully-qualified spherologist, maybe he'll put you on cubes and tetrahedrons for your withdrawal therapy >:(.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 09:15:21 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 09:03:20 AM »
Are you having frequent intercourse with inflatable earth globes ? Also considering your other post :you should seek the professional help of a fully-qualified spherologist >:(.

Too Funny Sandro!  ;D

Perhaps someone studying to be a Spherologist would like to use PA for their dissertation. Gotta admit, he's quite a candidate...

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 09:07:17 AM »
Perhaps someone studying to be a Spherologist would like to use PA for their dissertation. Gotta admit, he's quite a candidate...
Most decidedly, Ken, but sphere-obsession is only the tip of the iceberg here ;).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 09:16:09 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline prince_alfie

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 09:16:03 AM »
Come on guys... everyone can decipher the meaning of the term "spheres"?  :D Of course, isn't it supposedly the most perfect geometric shape according to the ancients?

Offline billsetnor

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 03:37:41 PM »
Vaughn,

Nice idea.  Perhaps we can start out with the Cyrillic alphabet, then basic words every guy should know (Da, nyet, pazhalusta, spaciba, etc.), then put up basic questions and phrases that should be used in certain scenarios (at the airport, meeting and greeting, buying stuff, eating at a restaurant).  You could also put up some links to the better Russian and Ukrainian language websites, for further study.

Whether the cartographers and sphereologists should be allowed to chime in is another matter.

Bill

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 04:23:23 PM »
Vaugn

I like the idea and think that it would work. For me, however, is hearing how it is pronounced. Where is the accent placed on the word. Is it SPA-ci-bo, or spa-CI-bo. And of course spelling it right would not hurt either.
Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 04:09:48 AM »
My own pronunciation reveals my outsider status immediately. I think
it was jb who once mentioned his wife really likes his "cute" accent, and
later was thought that WM accent might be an worthwhile thread.
There's nothing quite like hearing words pronounced by a native speaker.

Bill, the "alphabet" idea is a good starting point! Viking, I usually
capitalize the anglicized version, like spah-SEE-bah, but with the
little bells and whistles offered here it could be spah-SEE-bah.

Thanks for the input...

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 08:09:13 AM »
Disclaimer 1: THE BOOK I TALK ABOUT BELOW IS NOT FOR EVERYONE!!!

I don't post very often but there is a book called Dermo the Real Russian Tolstoy Never Used. Dermo means sh*t by the way so this book is definitely not for everybody. If you want to know some funny phrases and a lot of vulgar ones then this book is for you. It has a number of nice phrases in it as well. If you want to learn the names of body parts that will never be found in Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone then you might take a look at this. It uses both Russian letters and transliteration as well.

Disclaimer 2: THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR EVERYONE!!!!!
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 08:37:48 AM »
Disclaimer 1: THE BOOK I TALK ABOUT BELOW IS NOT FOR EVERYONE!!!

I don't post very often but there is a book called Dermo the Real Russian Tolstoy Never Used. Dermo means sh*t by the way so this book is definitely not for everybody. Written by Edward Topol.

If you want to know some funny phrases and a lot of vulgar ones then this book is for you. It has a number of nice phrases in it as well. If you want to learn the names of body parts that will never be found in Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone then you might take a look at this. It uses both Russian letters and transliteration as well.

Disclaimer 2: THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR EVERYONE!!!!!
Here is a couple of phrases in the book but don't read this if you might be offended by raw phrases!!

First a tame phrase
U tebya prekrasniye volosy = you have beautiful hair
What Russian woman wouldn't like to hear this?

Second a slightly stronger phrase
Poidyom ko mne = lets go to my place

DISCLAIMER THREE:
DONT READ ANY FURTHER!! I WARNED YOU IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED!!!

Ok you have been warned!

razden'sya = undress
lozhis' = lie down
kakaya prekrasnaya grud' = what beautiful breasts
kakoy vkusniy sosok = what a delicious nipple
Rasdvin' nogy, pozhalusta = spread your legs please
Razozhmi nogi, proshu tebya = Spread your legs I beg you!
Bozhe moy, kak ya tebya hochu! = My God, how I want you!
Bystraye, a to ya umru! = Faster, or I'll die!
Bozhe moy, nakonets! Gospodi, kak mne horosho! = My god, finally! Lord, I feel so good!!

There are a ton of phrases like these. I doubt that you can learn any of the above phrases using a language course on CDs or MP3. I have bought both Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur, and I use Pimsleur more because I can use it in the car or on the stairmaster or where ever.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Ste

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 04:19:08 PM »
'Ebyotsya' is the dirtiest word I ever learned. From Smooth...

Ste

Offline octopus

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 01:29:09 PM »
Here are some tools to help learn Russian faster:

Winflash - a flashcard computer program that allows you to include audio as well as text.
http://www.openwindow.com/

Cyrillic Support 2000 - many places offer cyrillic fonts, but this font collection includes a cyrillic font with accent marks, which is essential for pronunciation.  This includes a program that lets you switch from Cyrillic to English by hitting Shift+Shift.  Neat!
http://cyrillic.com/csw/index.html

Google "cyrillic keyboard" and find one that matches the configuration (as in the locatioin of "/" and the shape of the enter key) that you are used to already so you don't have to re-learn to type in English, too.

Stamina 2.5 - a free English-Cyrillic typing tutor.  Install this and make sure the keyboard you buy matches one of the ones supported by this program.  You will need to learn to type cyrillic *a little* to make flashcards.  Hit F1 to toggle through several keyboards in English and Russian.
http://typingsoft.com/stamina.htm

Here is the Collins Russian-English talking dictionary that you can use to get sounds for your flashcards.
http://www.lexicool.com/s...lish_dictionary_cdrom.asp

Here is a free program called Audacity that will allow you to capture any sound playing in your sound card, for example the words in the talking dictionary.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

If I didn't have time to go to school to study Russian and already had a Russian wife I would use this book to study at home:

The New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners (Penguin Handbooks) (Paperback)
by Nicholas J. Brown

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 05:36:15 PM »
I started out with the Pimsleur tapes which were actually quite good and were easily used while I was driving.  I also have the Rosetta Stone Program but I have trouble finding time to dedicate to it.  When I first moved to Ukraine I had private lessons twice a week for three months, but since then I have been pretty much on my own.  My wife is the only one I spend time with on a regular basis who speaks English, so I have been able to pick up a lot from osmosis.  I really don't get much from watching TV here.  I have found that I would hit a wall for awhile where it seemed I was going nowhere, then suddenly I would break through and seem to progress very quickly.  At this point I can understand it a lot better than I can speak it, but I can get around fine on my own and make decent conversation.  I read it pretty well but don't have much need to write very often so I'm still a bit slow at it.  I think the best description of learning Russian was by someone who said that with most languages it gets easier as you go.  With Russian, it gets more difficult.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540998
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1972
Total: 1983

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM