It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: City Guide...  (Read 35246 times)

Offline Kuna

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
City Guide...
« on: December 08, 2006, 07:24:06 PM »
Dan,

I wonder if it would be too ambitious to suggest we collectively put together a "City Guide" containing information on the cities that we visit and the outings that are recommended. I know the members here have helped me greatly by providing advice for my upcoming trip. I think it would be great if other newbies could find the information without asking questions that have been answered previously.

I've had a look in the Wiki and realise there's some city information in there but it's not easy to "consume".

What I'd suggest is that there is a standard format for information maybe in the headings below:

City
Population
Maps
Getting there (domestic travel recommendations)
Recommendations (Use with caution)
- Agencies
- Apartments
- Restaurants (For dating)
- Bars, Clubs, Pubs
- Cultural Venues and Events
- Internet Cafe's
- Local Guides/Translators
- MUST SEE/DO
- Special Events

It be great to get some pictures in there too.

Instead of having each "City Guide" individuals submit displayed in separate "posts", it would be great if we could continue to add information as different people return from visits.

Example (Fictitious):

Restaurants
If you're staying close to Independence Square and you're looking for an affordable romantic restaurant I've suggest you go to [XYZ].  From Independence Square walk along [X] street until you get to the [blah] statue.  The restaurant is directly across the road.
We ate there a few times and it never cost more than [$X] and that included a drinkable bottle of wine and deserts.  Be sure to ask for the [pick a dish] if you enjoy [ingredient].  

Next review...

Next review...

I'm event thinking about taking a GSP device on my trip so I can plot places I visit and post coordinates when I get home.  Who knows... someone else in here might be "addicted" to Google Earth!

Anyway,  just an idea.  I don't know if anyone else would be willing to contribute but I hope to gather some info on my trip so I can "give something back" to the board.

Cheers,

Kuna

Offline IAmZon

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: City Guide...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 08:00:12 PM »
Dan ... I think Kuna is after your job:)

Great idea BTW

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 08:39:58 PM »
It *is* a great idea. I am often asked for restaurants in Kyiv and elsewhere. Would be nice to place the information one time in one place where others could readily find it.

Not quite sure where to begin. If you have any ideas for the starting point, let me know.

- Dan

Offline Kuna

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 12:16:12 AM »
Dan,

Have a look at http://twiki.org/

It's an Open Source Wiki platform that you might be able to integrate into RWD.

The most important thing about the city guide is to make sure the city pages are based on the same template and everything is date stamped (No point relying on out of date information).

Something I haven't found on any site is ideas of things to do... There's lots of info on the cities and sights but coming from so far away you have to imagine the distance between places, the amount of time it might take to visit a museum or the appropriate ambiance in a cafe or restaurant for a date.

You could probably get a lot of cities started by talking to the guys who have done a lot of travel, or the guys who already live in FSU.

What's your favourite restaurant?

What would you recommend for a Sunday outing in Kiev?

When you were in Dnepropetrovsk, which apartments have you stayed in and who did you book through?  Was there a lift? Was it working? How comfortable was the bed and lounges?  What was the kitchen and bathroom like?  How far to the closest grocery store?  Can you give directions of how to get there? etc...

Photos would be invaluable.  Just a picture of a street scape outside of the apartment or showing the direction of the grocery store would be great.

I'd thought about this for my trip and have already decided to try to bring information back that would help others.

I just think it'd be really cool if you meet a girl and be decisive about which restaurants you wanted to take her to or be able to walk in the direction of the theatre without looking (and feeling) like a goose!   ;)

What about if you wanted to buy a gift for a girl or her family or wanted to pick up some maps in English?

Anyway... if you want to discuss more I'd be happy to contribute.  Obviously I haven't been there yet so I can't contribute content but if you go ahead with an open source wiki I'd be happy to look at the standard templates that might make sense and we could probably find great content in some of the existing TR's to kick off the first couple of cities.

As the city guides grow the content would become more informative, but even some basics in the beginning would be helpful.

You might ask some agencies to contribute information on their towns too because a detailed description of "things to do" might actually help attract more men to their towns.  You could even

Anyway...  let's toss it around.

Kuna

Offline wiz

• Alt Forum
  • Born in Greece living in England
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 03:17:41 AM »
Ok boys for some information go to my site: www.airsunholidays.co.uk and there you will find a lot of info for Ukrainian cities and travel to UKRAINE>

I am not looking for clients...LOL

BTW all the links at the top work.......but I am doing some updating .
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 03:19:23 AM by wiz »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 07:23:26 AM »
Dan,

Have a look at http://twiki.org/

It's an Open Source Wiki platform that you might be able to integrate into RWD.

The most important thing about the city guide is to make sure the city pages are based on the same template and everything is date stamped (No point relying on out of date information).

Something I haven't found on any site is ideas of things to do... There's lots of info on the cities and sights but coming from so far away you have to imagine the distance between places, the amount of time it might take to visit a museum or the appropriate ambiance in a cafe or restaurant for a date.

You could probably get a lot of cities started by talking to the guys who have done a lot of travel, or the guys who already live in FSU.

What's your favourite restaurant?

What would you recommend for a Sunday outing in Kiev?

When you were in Dnepropetrovsk, which apartments have you stayed in and who did you book through?  Was there a lift? Was it working? How comfortable was the bed and lounges?  What was the kitchen and bathroom like?  How far to the closest grocery store?  Can you give directions of how to get there? etc...

Photos would be invaluable.  Just a picture of a street scape outside of the apartment or showing the direction of the grocery store would be great.

I'd thought about this for my trip and have already decided to try to bring information back that would help others.

I just think it'd be really cool if you meet a girl and be decisive about which restaurants you wanted to take her to or be able to walk in the direction of the theatre without looking (and feeling) like a goose!   ;)

What about if you wanted to buy a gift for a girl or her family or wanted to pick up some maps in English?

Anyway... if you want to discuss more I'd be happy to contribute.  Obviously I haven't been there yet so I can't contribute content but if you go ahead with an open source wiki I'd be happy to look at the standard templates that might make sense and we could probably find great content in some of the existing TR's to kick off the first couple of cities.

As the city guides grow the content would become more informative, but even some basics in the beginning would be helpful.

You might ask some agencies to contribute information on their towns too because a detailed description of "things to do" might actually help attract more men to their towns.  You could even

Anyway...  let's toss it around.

Kuna

I had not seen that particulat Wiki tool before. The one we use here is phpWiki, and I have been looking at integrating the same Wiki used for Wikipedia (MediaWiki) into the site. Also have a little experience with DokuWiki.

Anyway, the challenge doesn't seem to be WHICH Wiki system - all will probably provide the platform. The challenge is to get people to use the Wiki. The Wiki 'language' is still a bit arcane for most users, hence, it has been almost impossible to get people to use the Wiki here - except, of course, for Sandro - whom we are all indebted for his constant improvements to the RWD Wiki.

Anyway, I will try to take some time over the next week to see what can be done.

Thanks,

- Dan

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 09:34:01 AM »
What's that? Did I just hear Kuna volunteer to be the Technical Lead on the City Guide Prloject? All right! Way to go Kuna!!!

Get it going and we'll add our part for Omsk.

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Kuna

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 10:51:19 PM »
What's that? Did I just hear Kuna volunteer to be the Technical Lead on the City Guide Prloject? All right! Way to go Kuna!!!

Get it going and we'll add our part for Omsk.

Ken

Yeah mate naah but naah mate thanks yeah!

Ummm...  happy to help improve RWD where I can. I certainly appreciate the help and advice I've received here so far so would be happy to do something that might help others.

I have limited time available but if Dan PM's me we can discuss some ideas.  I think much of the content might already be in the TR's and with a short questionaire we might be able to gather more info that would help members when the travel to FSU.

Kuna

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 05:01:01 PM »
This is a really good idea, especially for those places where documented info is scarce (a google search for my wife's home town will reveal exactly *one* photo taken from a passing river-cruise ship)

I would caution Kuna, however, NOT to take a GPS unit to Russia unless he's feeling overly charitable, because they WILL relieve him of it at the airport - and thats the BEST that could possibly happen. I seem to recall a story about a Canadian who spent 5 yrs in a russian jail just for being in possession of a handheld GPS.
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 05:14:06 PM »
This is a really good idea, especially for those places where documented info is scarce (a google search for my wife's home town will reveal exactly *one* photo taken from a passing river-cruise ship)

I would caution Kuna, however, NOT to take a GPS unit to Russia unless he's feeling overly charitable, because they WILL relieve him of it at the airport - and thats the BEST that could possibly happen. I seem to recall a story about a Canadian who spent 5 yrs in a russian jail just for being in possession of a handheld GPS.

There *was* an incident - about 5 years ago - in which a western guy was working for a telecommunications company. He took a handheld GPS unit with him to Russia for purposes of locating cell tower locations. He was, indeed, jailed for quite some time - until the company execs and politicos got involved and arranged his release.

It is quite possible things have changed since then, as when this occurred, handheld GPS units were VERY new and relatively unknown in the FSU.

Definitely worth checking BEFORE taking the GPS unit.

- Dan

Offline Kuna

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 05:24:27 PM »
Definitely worth checking BEFORE taking the GPS unit.

*GULP*

I'll check with the Embassy...  I'm going to Ukraine only not Russia but I guess it's one of those things definintely wort confirming before arrival.

Kuna

Offline I/O

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 06:11:54 PM »
Kuna. Which way are you going into Ukraine?  I might well be able to give you a few tips and that in and of itself might make something of a starting point for your idea if can do it in somethng like the format you suggested, which is excellent.

I/O who is the vetran of a fair amount of travel and a few visits to the FSU.

Offline Michelangelo

• Opted-Out
  • A man paints with his brains and not with his hand
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 06:36:24 PM »
*GULP*

I'll check with the Embassy...  I'm going to Ukraine only not Russia but I guess it's one of those things definintely wort confirming before arrival.

Kuna

Kuna, I use my GPS in Ukraine all the time....never knew you could not.  Maybe it's just a Russian thing...
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.  michelangelo

Offline Kuna

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 09:42:36 PM »
Kuna. Which way are you going into Ukraine? 

I/O,

Welcome to RWD!!!  I'll be flying in from Riga, Latvia and would be very interested to read your posts on Ukraine.

Cheers!

Kuna

Offline I/O

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 12:15:31 AM »
Kuna: Cheers mate and thanks for the welcome.  All the best for 2007.  Your idea is a particularly good one and I feel that it would be most useful for many new commers to this scene as well as a few of us who have been around the east a little.

I strongly suggest the info is kept to a minimum within reason and each city is contained in one post.  The total thread could include as many cities as managment feel is appropriate. 

In the following post, I'll try to create something of a template which others can copy and paste into reply posts.  Once the information for a given city is reasonably complete the management may like to delete any lead up posts to the final result.  If information changes from time to time, managment would be very welcome in my view to edit the given "City Post".

I would think if the managment deleted all lead up posts and simply left the final result for each city, the thread would remain reasonably uncluttered and a useful resource.

As you are arriving in Ukraine from Riga, I can't offer much advice, because I don't know Kiev all that well.  I know Riga a little having been there once, but I have always entered Ukraine from the south.  IE: From Istanbul into Odessa.

I/O Who has spent a lot of time trying to find out about different places over the years with only limited success.

Offline I/O

Odessa
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 12:35:48 AM »

Visa requirements:            USA citizens issued at border.  Au citizens must prearrange.

Visa Assistance:                www.tourkiev.com    (Highly recommended)

Special features:                Black Sea.   Historic architecture.

Access:                             Air.  Rail.  Sea.  Road.

Airport Status:                   International           

Transport services:            Taxis.  Private taxis.  Mini Bus.  Train.  Electric Tram.

Booking Agents:                 www.tourkiev.com  (Highly recommended)

Hotels:                              Londonskyra (Recommended) Hotel Odessa.  Mozart.

Introduction Agencies:        Don't know.  Dont use them.

Local Attractions:'               Black sea.  Mariner.  Staircase access to the Mariner.  Opera House

Banking / Cash facilities:     Foyer of most hotels.  Airport.  Numerous on streets

Useful Links:                       www.tourkiev.com  www.odessa.com

Please feel free to copy the above, edit, add to and paste in a new post reply.

I/O who hope this might get something started for the benifit of all.

Offline I/O

Omsk
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 12:49:42 AM »

Visa requirements:            All foreign citizens

Visa Assistance:               

Special features:               River.   Historic architecture.

Access:                             Air.  Rail. Road.

Airport Status:                   Domestic           

Transport services:            Taxis.  Private taxis.  Mini Bus.  Train.  Electric Tram.

Booking Agents:                 S-7 Airlines (Formerly Siberian Airlines.) Highly recommended.

Hotels:                             

Introduction Agencies:        Don't know.  Dont use them.

Local Attractions:               My better half. ;D ;D

Banking / Cash facilities:     Foyer of most hotels.  Airport.  Numerous on streets

Useful Links:                       

Please feel free to copy the above, edit, add to and paste in a new post reply.

I/O who hope this might get something started for the benifit of all.

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 06:32:12 PM »
I/O, perhaps you haven't yet discovered the Wiki section of RWD, where such information may be stored for permanent reference. I copied there your contributions on Omsk and Odessa : http://russianwomendiscussion.com/wiki/index.php?Cities
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline I/O

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 06:36:22 PM »
I/O, perhaps you haven't yet discovered the Wiki section of RWD, where such information may be stored for permanent reference. I copied there your contributions on Omsk and Odessa : http://russianwomendiscussion.com/wiki/index.php?Cities

Yes, I actually have looked at that and commend it's content, however, here I was simply responding to the request of an earlier post. 

Cheers  I/O

Offline Kuna

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2007, 07:05:11 PM »
I/O,

By the way... I see that you're just "up the hill" from me.  Nice to know there's someone successfully married to a girl from FSU who's within a stones throw of my hometown.   ;D

Thanks for the info above.  Dan and I have swapped some email on this and I think he's considering way that we can store this info and make it easy to access.

While I was planning my trip I was struck by a need to have some local knowledge before we hit the ground in these far-flung places.

Also, when I was reading posts where men complained they were "scammed" when girls took them to expensive restaurants I couldn't help but think it was their fault.  I don't think they were scammed, I think their expectations simply weren't aligned with the girls and their lack of local knowledge left them surprised when a girl took them to a restaurant that was clearly "out of their league".

I think it'd be a great idea to have a cityguide where people heading to a strange town knew where to stay (not just hotels but areas of the city that are more interesting/convenient than others), where to go (different restaurants where you know what to expect) and what to do (what do some of the lesser known cities have to offer a visitor.

Example?  I'm visiting a smaller city on my trip to Ukraine and it's taken a MOUNTAIN of research to understand what I want to do with my friend while there.

Finally I found the hotel I wanted to stay at so I made my bookings (it wasn't that easy), and when I told her where I was staying she was very impressed that I selected the one I did because the otherone is "overpriced and doesn't have a nice view of the river". (That was actually the reason I chose it).

Also,  (and even more difficult) I want to have some idea of where to go for dinners etc when in her town so I can suggest someone rather than just turn up and expect her to make plans.

So... out of a stroke of luck (and some intense googling) I found a list of restaurant names, but no photos or info.  I googled the restaurant names and found an obscure site that had someone's dining experience recorded.  My friend has been worried I'll be bored in her town because she doesn't think there is enough to keep my interested... but when I emailed her and said I'd read about this restaurant and why I wanted to go there she was REALLY happy for a few reasons.

1. I was obviously TRYING to learn about her hometown, and showing interest;
2. I specifically wanted to go to this restaurant because I've heard it has excellent traditional Ukrainian Cuisine;
3. She doesn't go there, except on rare occasions for business because it's expensive (by her standards), and;
4. It's close to the hotel so we can walk back to the hotel without "wasting money on a taxi".

There's lots of generic information on the larger cities on the web but there's very little "specific local knowledge" you might get if you were going someone a friend had once been.  The idea for the city guide (eventually) is to have some "local knowledge" that you can rely on to get you started once you're in town.

Thanks for your info...

Kuna

Offline I/O

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2007, 07:24:20 PM »
I/O,

By the way... I see that you're just "up the hill" from me.  Nice to know there's someone successfully married to a girl from FSU who's within a stones throw of my hometown.   ;D

1. I was obviously TRYING to learn about her hometown, and showing interest;
2. I specifically wanted to go to this restaurant because I've heard it has excellent traditional Ukrainian Cuisine;
3. She doesn't go there, except on rare occasions for business because it's expensive (by her standards), and;
4. It's close to the hotel so we can walk back to the hotel without "wasting money on a taxi".

There's lots of generic information on the larger cities on the web but there's very little "specific local knowledge" you might get if you were going someone a friend had once been.  The idea for the city guide (eventually) is to have some "local knowledge" that you can rely on to get you started once you're in town.

Thanks for your info...

Kuna

Kuna  Yep...!! The view is pretty good from up here.  BTW I am not actually married, we are engaged at this point and still waiting the visa, which is a story in and of itself.  The ring on finger/ring in nose is scheduled for Mid April.

The ladies certainly appreciate a guy that takes a genuine interest in their locality.  Seems like you've done your homework well.

Regarding the City Guide thing.  I completely concur, because often such information simply becomes part of the larger pool and is difficult to sift out.

If you would like to swap some notes on a few "Do's and Don't's" shoot me a PM and you would always be welcome to take the short drive, as the fridge is well stocked and beds are plentiful. ;D ;D ;D

I/O

Offline Son of Clyde

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 12:19:01 PM »
Most Countries have online guides (I know Riga has a very good city guide) maybe you can gather the links and alphabetize them in the Wiki. If I have the time I can post a few.

Like this one:   http://www.rigathisweek.lv/

Do the Baltics count if there is a large Russian population?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:21:42 PM by Son of Clyde »

Offline Kuna

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 06:45:11 AM »
Dan,

Sorry for resurrecting this...  but seeing Simoni's TR made me think of another way to format city info for the benefit of members travelling to a location for the first time...

Bare with me... I'm thinking out loud...   ::)

In Google Earth you can plot photos at specific locations and add a descrition... You actually have to plot the photos in Panoramio but they appear in Google Earth.

After a few days the photos show up in Google Earth as blue dots (but in places like Kiev there is hundreds of dots so it'd be hard to keep track of which are "OURS"). 

To get around this you could have a single log in members who want to participate could use, and then RWD can make the KMZ file (Google Earth's Location plotting thingy) a download from here...

Just a thought... it's been great to see so many great photos and descriptions of locations from Simoni...  I'd still like to see a way we could share this amongst us in a "city guide" type format.

Dunno...  maybe I'm jsut addicted to Google Earth???

:D

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 06:54:04 AM »
Dan,

Sorry for resurrecting this...  but seeing Simoni's TR made me think of another way to format city info for the benefit of members travelling to a location for the first time...

Bare with me... I'm thinking out loud...   ::)

In Google Earth you can plot photos at specific locations and add a descrition... You actually have to plot the photos in Panoramio but they appear in Google Earth.

After a few days the photos show up in Google Earth as blue dots (but in places like Kiev there is hundreds of dots so it'd be hard to keep track of which are "OURS"). 

To get around this you could have a single log in members who want to participate could use, and then RWD can make the KMZ file (Google Earth's Location plotting thingy) a download from here...

Just a thought... it's been great to see so many great photos and descriptions of locations from Simoni...  I'd still like to see a way we could share this amongst us in a "city guide" type format.

Dunno...  maybe I'm jsut addicted to Google Earth???

:D

Kuna,

No problem at all bringing it back to the surface, the thought has occurred to me as well. Have some other things in front of it at the moment - but we'll take some time soon to determine how to implement something.

Keep the ideas flowing!

- Dan
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 07:05:23 AM by Admin »

Offline Kuna

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 07:02:17 AM »
Shhhhh...  I'm KUUUUUNA!

:ROFL:

But anyway....  If anyone has Google Earth you can see a couple of pics I posted as a test in Google Earth.  They're located up near the train station and around the Theatre of Opera...

Simoni...  can we encourage you to have a look when you get home???  It'd be great if you could plot some of your pics...  I'll plot some more Dnepr pics on the weekend then we can test the KMZ files.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 07:05:36 AM by Admin »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1885
Total: 1896

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM