It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: True Grit and "Real" Man  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Rubicon

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
True Grit and "Real" Man
« on: December 30, 2010, 06:42:19 PM »
I recently saw the western movie True Grit with Jeff Bridges.  of course some may recall the earlier version with John Wayne.  this version is truer to the book and much better IMO.  It is the story of a 14 year old girl out to avenge the death of her father by a drifter.  this little girl has a sharp mind, quick tongue and more courage and determination than ten modern teenagers.  I think the best scene of the movie is when Rooster Cogburn (played by Jeff Bridges) gallops on his horse headfirst with his two guns blazing towards a hail of bullets coming from four villains who are galloping towards him.  now I finally know what Russian women mean when they say they are looking for a "real" man!!   ;D

Offline Jumper

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: True Grit and "Real" Man
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 06:55:13 PM »
Nice *real man* reference and a good movie :)

but  the teenager in the film is  "acting" afterall?  ;)

lets not diss all of  todays youth?
I know a lot of truly inspiring teenagers.

as example, I'd put this young mans positive attitude, courage and determination up against most anyones.

going from aspiring star athelete,

to horribly paralyzed ,

back to iron man and triathlons competitions in an amzingly short period of time ,
and always with the biggest smile on his face an thirst for life.

Offline Shostakovich

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 10:14:11 PM »
I recently saw the western movie True Grit with Jeff Bridges.  of course some may recall the earlier version with John Wayne.  this version is truer to the book and much better IMO.  It is the story of a 14 year old girl out to avenge the death of her father by a drifter.  this little girl has a sharp mind, quick tongue and more courage and determination than ten modern teenagers.  I think the best scene of the movie is when Rooster Cogburn (played by Jeff Bridges) gallops on his horse headfirst with his two guns blazing towards a hail of bullets coming from four villains who are galloping towards him.  now I finally know what Russian women mean when they say they are looking for a "real" man!!   ;D

This real man/strong man biz, as the Russians understand it, seems to have its roots in the Siberian man.  This was explained to me on my recent trip to Kharkov.  A Siberian man is a man's man, probably much like the cowboys and outlaws of the 19th century US, living the independent life in harsh conditions.  Living close to nature makes one hearty, and so one could drink one's fill and still keep it together - so the image goes.  That is part of what is behind the culture of drink in the FSU, the desire of the average man to live up to the Siberian mystique.  Unfortunately, they work in factories and just get sick from the vodka.  Poor earth, poor herbs.  I'm gonna see that film though -- the Coens always deliver, but the really cool one coming up is Cowboys&Aliens.

Offline I/O

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 10:46:02 PM »
Siberian mystique.
For the most part I've found reasonable men working reasonable jobs or businesses leading reasonable lives in what can be reasonably hard conditions at times.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541779
Total Topics: 20876
Most Online Today: 1534
Most Online Ever: 12701