It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Natural Crimea  (Read 84533 times)

Offline The Natural

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Natural Crimea
« on: July 14, 2011, 05:43:39 PM »
It is now just 10 days until I go on my trip to my WOVO girl in the Crimea, Ukraine.  We have been Skyping for 1-2 hours every day for two months now and are pretty ready to meet each other by now. I can’t say much more about the two of us because she has said earlier, when I told her about this site, that things between two persons are private. I will of course honour  this, even though I am somewhat different in this respect and are not afraid to talk and discuss private matters , within reasons.

In another thread I talked a bit about the challenges of getting currencies here. I can still get Euros but US dollars seems impossible to get here. I will just have to take everybody’s word on that getting it in Oslo airport is no problem. I went into a bank and asked some questions why it’s so difficult to get foreign currencies. In this bank which only could give you Swedish kroner at the ATM, the reason Euros is no longer available is that so many people pressed the wrong button and came into the bank and wanted to make it right. And when banks no longer want to carry any cash, you can see the problem.

I asked the guy what one could do around here to get some currency when the banks no longer want to do that service. He said they get tourists asking the same in the bank and they refer them to a nearby hotel that sometimes have currencies like Euros and dollars! Can you imagine that? A bank sending money business over to a hotel? Is this just local madness here, or is this the new reality all people will have to adjust to in this globalized  insanity? Time will tell. I hate it already.

So I fly south to Oslo on the 25th and stay there a night at a hotel. I have 300 euros and will take my debit card and a credit card in reserve and exchange 1000 dollars at the airport. My girl has adviced me to not bring any gold with me because she thinks I will not get a fair deal of exchange, so I won’t take any gold with me. I can very well understand such a reservation because I put up a couple of gold coins up for sale on an auction site here and people here do not yet know the true value of gold and do not want to pay the spot price + 7-8% premium on a 1 oz gold coin and an even higher premium on smaller denominated coins. It doesn’t matter as I am not desperate for the money and since then, gold have just gone up in value. Or should I say more precisely, all currencies have lost value. I will go to Crimea and my stash will stay safely behind and maintain my wealth. I’m pretty certain USA will go for QE3 before August which means gold and silver will continue to rise and that other nations also will debase their currencies, which in turn is a positive for precious metals.

Aside from economics, I think I have it all ready for the trip. I will make a list of what to bring with me. Clothes in the big bag and vital items in my carry-on. Tickets are in hand and passport is valid. I will be careful not to exceed the 20 kilos of baggage as Air Baltic apparently is making it a business to charge for baggage. I will bring some gifts to Ukraine and not buy heavy items to bring home, maybe just some clothes.

Most of all I look so much forward to see, feel and touch my girl. I know the rule here is you don’t know nothing until you meet her in real life, but I have a real good feeling about this. As said earlier though, I can’t go into more specifics about this. I would like to write a TR as I like to write, but that depends on what the girl think about it. If she doesn’t like that, I will just write a boring history of practical happenings. At least, I hope that will be eventless.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Natural Crimea
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »
Come on Natural; add a little spice and risk to your trip.

Tell your gal you are planning to meet with some other gals on your airport layovers.

You can think of this as testing out her true feelings for you, or as you being very foolish.   8)

But in any event, it would make for good reading for the rest of us.  This is what we are here for . . . to hear of hair raising events!!

Anyway, I don't know why you are still talking about trying to get USD.
All the FX places I have ever used in Ukraine show on their 'billboard' the rates for Euros and well as USD, British Pounds and Russian Rubles, and a few others.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Vincenzo

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:26:45 PM »
Why do you need US dollars in Crimea? You can have some euros for an emergency.
You should call you banks and tell them that you will travel to the Ukraine. Then you'll be able to withdraw money at almost any ATM. But it's better to have a couple debit cards if one is declined. Many places accept credit cards as well.

Offline Vinnvinny

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 12:55:34 AM »
I will be careful not to exceed the 20 kilos of baggage as Air Baltic apparently is making it a business to charge for baggage.

Unless your flying business class or a member of one of their VIP clubs Air Baltic charges for ALL hold luggage. I got caught out by this a few weeks back when I booked a multiple airline flight through a 3rd party site and they forgot to tell me that and of course its more expensive and inconvenient when you have to pay at check-in ... b*stards.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 06:34:10 AM »
Why do you need US dollars in Crimea? You can have some euros for an emergency.
You should call you banks and tell them that you will travel to the Ukraine. Then you'll be able to withdraw money at almost any ATM. But it's better to have a couple debit cards if one is declined. Many places accept credit cards as well.

I need US dollars because that's what the owner of the apartment we will rent, want. I already have 300 Euros as an emergency backup.

There is no reason for me to contact my bank that I'm going to Ukraine because I can manage where my bank card will be valid from my personal bank web site. I have it opened for withdrawal in Europe and when I come home I will close it, or if my card get lost, I can go to the web site and close it myself.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 06:37:22 AM »

Unless your flying business class or a member of one of their VIP clubs Air Baltic charges for ALL hold luggage. I got caught out by this a few weeks back when I booked a multiple airline flight through a 3rd party site and they forgot to tell me that and of course its more expensive and inconvenient when you have to pay at check-in ... b*stards.

I paid for baggage to Air Baltic when I bought the ticket from the travel agency. If I remember correctly, it was 30 euros each way. But if I carry more than the 20 kilos and 8 kilos carry-on, they will charge a pretty hefty extra sum. I have all my flights on one ticket and are thus ensured should there be any delays or other problems on my way.

Offline Vincenzo

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 07:08:04 AM »

I need US dollars because that's what the owner of the apartment we will rent, want.
Don't worry, he will accept dollars, euros, grivnas. Currency exchanges are everywhere.
If not, you can rent an apartment in Crimea everywhere.
Airports usually have extremely bad exchange rates.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 08:40:10 AM »
Don't worry, he will accept dollars, euros, grivnas. Currency exchanges are everywhere.
If not, you can rent an apartment in Crimea everywhere.
Airports usually have extremely bad exchange rates.

They sell 29 currencies at Gardermoen airport. US dollars is now 5,47 NOK and is sold for 5,78 NOK. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me. They have manned offices both in arrival and departure and they open early in the morning. They also have many ATM's, so getting my dollars should be no problem.

We have reserved a great looking and spacious apartment, so we will go with that. If the man want dollars, that's what he will get.

Offline Vincenzo

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:26:52 AM »
I wouldn't carry a lot of cash.

When you arrive at a train or bus station in Crimea, it's full of grandmothers offering apartments and houses for rent. Don't hesitate to bargain and check a few places. You may not even reach the man who wants dollars through this crowd.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 09:31:05 AM »

They sell 29 currencies at Gardermoen airport. US dollars is now 5,47 NOK and is sold for 5,78 NOK. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me. They have manned offices both in arrival and departure and they open early in the morning. They also have many ATM's, so getting my dollars should be no problem.

We have reserved a great looking and spacious apartment, so we will go with that. If the man want dollars, that's what he will get.

That's a good choice Roy just from the standpoint of your preparation will help you avoid unneeded hassles. The man specified he wanted USD, it would be better for you to see that he received it. It may be more hassle for you on the front end but one thing that shouldn't be overlooked is your on the ground vacation time will not be interrupted hunting for USD once you arrive.

Offline Vincenzo

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:07:35 AM »

That's a good choice Roy just from the standpoint of your preparation will help you avoid unneeded hassles. The man specified he wanted USD, it would be better for you to see that he received it.
It looks suspicious because you can exchange grivna <-> dollar at every corner.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 01:22:35 PM »
Sure you can, at what cost? I see nothing suspicious about it. The apartment owner wants USD. He's planning on 'that' apartment and in order to insure he has done everything he can to get 'that' apartment, he'll bring ample USD. Sounds like a good move.

Along with meeting his lady there will be many things for him and her to do. One thing he doesn't wish to do is running around to every corner trying to exchange his Euros, Kronk or Sterling when he could be doing somethings much more errrr ummmmm involved.  ;D

Roy, I think I might have mentioned this to you in an earlier thread. On my first trip to Russia I ordered several thousand USD worth of Russian rubles. They came in all denominations and I had to deal with a 10 inch stack of rubles. I didn't mind the 10 inch stack at the time, I enjoyed the confidence knowing exchanging money wouldn't be a problem. The apartment owner on that trip wanted USD as well.

Offline ML

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »
On one of my first trips, I paid in the local currency, but the owner bitched and sneered a bit at his own currency.

On another trip, my go-between stated prices in the local currency at least 3 times to me in our e-mails.  So I even made the special effort to have that much of the local currency.  Again, the owner was quite peeved when my gal handed her the local currency.  She took it, but was not happy.

Yes, if these owners want USD or Euro, they can take the local currency you give them and convert it at nearest corner.  But, when they do so, they are losing the 'spread.'

- - - -  -

One of my gals was unfortunate enough to have several thousand Euros in one of the banks that nearly went belly up in Ukraine in 2009.  This bank, like many, refused to give back deposits for several months.  And, this bank is one of the very few remaining  that is still in fairly serious trouble.  They allow her to take out 10 Euros each day, which will take several years to get all her money out.

Recently  they started allowing depositors to take out fairly large sums . . . but only in the local currency . . . which is not the Euros she has on deposit.  So she can take the local currency; but then when she converts it to Euros, she looses the 'spread.'  But anyway, better than losing 100% of your deposit which was a real possibility for awhile.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Handycam72

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
Enjoy your time in Crimea.  :)

I am back in UK now and back to that normal everyday life. But I'm going back at the end of September till around mid October.

As for paying the apartment, yep everytime I been, I have paid in Dollars. Never paid in UAH
Its an opinion, don't get too crazy if you disagree :)

Offline The Natural

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 10:24:59 PM »
Sure you can, at what cost? I see nothing suspicious about it. The apartment owner wants USD. He's planning on 'that' apartment and in order to insure he has done everything he can to get 'that' apartment, he'll bring ample USD. Sounds like a good move.

You're right FP, there's nothing suspicious going on. My girl has searched around for apartments and I told her beforehand I would like an apartment with good standard. So she found one which is also rather large and look very nice, it's on an Internet web page. She called the owner and made a reservation. She said it's an old couple who rent out these apartments, two of them in each of two floors. My girl grew up in Crimea but is Russian and now work in Moscow. The owner was happy about that, as he mostly rent out to tourists coming there fom Moscow. He did not want Ukrainians!

I just don't understand why anyone would even entertain the idea of first making a reservation for a great apartment at a good price and then risk it all by shopping around for another apartment at train or bus stations. Makes no sense to me and it's not the way I operate. That would also be a terrible thing to do to the owners who even didn't demand a depositum in advance, as I have seen is normal other places. Keep it simple, I say.

Offline Vincenzo

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 04:48:17 PM »
Crimea is a tourist destination. Almost every homeowner rents.
If your apartment isn't good or the owner has super demands, there are plenty other places to choose from.

There is a little secret. Though, I don't know if it's still true.
An apartment can't be high-standard in  Crimea. A house with its own drinking water supply can.
Would you like to live in an apartment which has water only in the morning and evening?

Offline ML

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »
An apartment can't be high-standard in  Crimea.

Not true.  I have rented many such.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 06:22:27 PM »
Enjoy your time in Crimea.  :)

I am back in UK now and back to that normal everyday life. But I'm going back at the end of September till around mid October.

As for paying the apartment, yep everytime I been, I have paid in Dollars. Never paid in UAH

I haven't been to Crimea, but everywhere I've rented an apartment in Russia and Ukraine the owner/agent accepted the equivalent of the USD price in local currency, at a very fair exchange rate.  This was very helpful to me, because I've never carried more than $100 USD with me on my trips.

Offline Wayne

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 09:53:02 AM »
Good luck to you on your trip. The reason for quoting a price in US dollars is because they are more stable compared to grivinas. There are, of course, many places to exchange money. However, if US dollars have any marks on them or are not nearly new, you will have trouble exchanging them.

I had a debit card that would not work in Crimea, although my bank assured me that it would. Travelers checks can be casked in Ukraine, but they charge a fee.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »
I just don't understand why anyone would even entertain the idea of first making a reservation for a great apartment at a good price and then risk it all by shopping around for another apartment at train or bus stations. Makes no sense to me and it's not the way I operate. That would also be a terrible thing to do to the owners who even didn't demand a depositum in advance, as I have seen is normal other places. Keep it simple, I say.

In general yes.
I would always follow that if things were done correctly on both parties side.

However when i was last in Crimea, the flat owner i had contacted previously and confirmed the rental dates etc.., wouldn't answer his phone the full day or evening before,
 or the morning of, my arrival.

With hundreds of people standing there wanting to rent to you, with equally nice flats,.
the same question is *why not*?

if he is too lazy , or occupied, (the phone worked perfectly before both directions) to contact me and arrange the time i can get the keys etc.. or tell me he has another client instead,
 i simply have to assume he rented it already (not uncommon at all in Crimea)

so be prepared, anytime you travel anywhere,
but  especially in ukraine,
 that plans will likely not be simple.
if they are, that is great!! count your blessings. :)

if they arnt, do as any ukrianian does, shrug and say
"eta ukriania" and get on with your vacation.

i had a list of a few numbers to contact in case this particular flat fell through anyway, and also member Jacks number who always can pull a great flat out of thin air :)
so i wasnt worried,
however the need for such a list evaporated as there were so many already at the bus station awaiting new arrivals to rent to.

Offline Handycam72

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 11:35:09 PM »
Crimea is a tourist destination. Almost every homeowner rents.
If your apartment isn't good or the owner has super demands, there are plenty other places to choose from.

There is a little secret. Though, I don't know if it's still true.
An apartment can't be high-standard in  Crimea. A house with its own drinking water supply can.
Would you like to live in an apartment which has water only in the morning and evening?

Well I can only assume you have been to some other Crimea, in a different part of the world. I have yet to stay in a bad apartment in Crimea, or for that matter in Ukraine. I never been in an apartment that only has water in the morning and evening. As for drinking water, drink the bottled stuff, never drink the water from the supply.

Its an opinion, don't get too crazy if you disagree :)

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 05:04:16 AM »
Having (hot) water only at certain times of day is typical in the old soviet blocks in many parts of Ukraine where the local authority pumps in a communal flow. I've certainly experienced it myself even though I try to pay the extra $ and stay in posh places.

In Lugansk last year they even closed the internet access down one weekend whilst local elections were taking place. Weird.

Offline Wayne

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 09:55:25 AM »
Most of the apartments where I stayed had a wall mounted, gas fired tankless water heater. That eliminates the problem about hot water. However, the entire water system is usually shut down for some days for cleaning and flushing it out. Yes, only drink bottled water.

Apartments might have a small clothes washing machine, but a dryer is not common. Seems like everyone hangs their things out on a line.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 11:54:35 AM »
Apartments might have a small clothes washing machine, but a dryer is not common. Seems like everyone hangs their things out on a line.

That won't be hard for me as I've never owned a dryer or ever missed one.

Offline ML

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
Those clothes hanging on your outdoor clothes line probably get pretty stiff during January.   :o

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541785
Total Topics: 20876
Most Online Today: 1858
Most Online Ever: 12701