It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Darth Confidential  (Read 31066 times)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Darth Confidential
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2015, 05:45:57 PM »
Kiwi, I did notice a big increase in signs with English words under the Ukrainian/Russian words. The metro is certainly easier to read the metro stops. Not sure about Khakiv but Odesa does have more English words in signs. Much of this came about because of the Euro games in Ukraine.

That's all good to hear.  For those who understand the Cyrillic alphabet it's no great problem (even if it takes a minute to work out), but many (most?) foreigners don't (and don't appear to bother trying to learn).

Offline Darth_Budda

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2015, 04:10:04 AM »
How do I figure out what terminal I am landing at?  Doing some map recon...

http://kbp.aero/en/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:28:37 AM by Darth_Budda »
We need a government of action to fight for working families!
Caleb Maupin

Offline Noch1

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2015, 04:46:22 AM »
Very likely Terminal 1, now that it is running properly.
All international flights land at terminal 1

Hope you have a great trip, even with all the advice, take it and apply
you personal traits to it. Enjoy regardless of the outcome.
Sounds like she is at least serious which is very good.

Nothing is for sure until you meet, don't be afraid to move on if its required.
Sometimes internet connections are not the same live.

Money, I carried some cash and used debit cards to get money at bank
machines with no issues.
Enjoy, look forward to your TR.
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2015, 05:24:57 AM »
Terminal D

Looks like the right one..
similar flights are using the same terminal

http://kbp.aero/en/about/maps/terminal-d/

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:40:02 AM by Darth_Budda »
Caleb Maupin

Offline Noch1

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2015, 05:58:25 AM »
your ticket should say what terminal.
I fly out of Montreal half the time, Toronto the other half.
Been through Amsterdam, always lands in Kiev's international
terminal.

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2015, 06:46:40 AM »
I have to wait for online check in to get the details I think? 
Caleb Maupin

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2015, 09:38:08 AM »
Kiev is pretty small as airports go, it is not huge or disorienting - remember, Ukraine is 40-45 million people and not used for a lot of interconnecting flights. 

And it looks almost like every other airport in the world, in terms of layout and making it clear where to go next, etc.

From memory the important signs are in English, too.

Odd, I can't really remember much about landing, and getting outside, I must have been tired/wired. 

Anyways, you land, you get out, you get your luggage, you go though immigration and customs (you should go through the green line, meaning "nothing to declare") and now you are in a big open area of the building.  If you leave, you will have to re-scan you luggage to get back into the secure area, so, be sure before you leave that you have everything (hopefully none of your luggage is lost or anything like that).

In front of the building you are in, is a parking lot and beyond that, a main road leading into the city.  Another parking lot is beside the building also.
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline LAman

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »
Very likely Terminal 1, now that it is running properly.
All international flights land at terminal 1

Hope you have a great trip, even with all the advice, take it and apply
you personal traits to it. Enjoy regardless of the outcome.
Sounds like she is at least serious which is very good.

Nothing is for sure until you meet, don't be afraid to move on if its required.
Sometimes internet connections are not the same live.

Money, I carried some cash and used debit cards to get money at bank
machines with no issues.
Enjoy, look forward to your TR.

Out of curiosity Noch, how many times have you landed at Terminal 1 in Kiev??? :o
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline LAman

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2015, 09:50:35 AM »
Kiev is pretty small as airports go, it is not huge or disorienting - remember, Ukraine is 40-45 million people and not used for a lot of interconnecting flights. 

And it looks almost like every other airport in the world, in terms of layout and making it clear where to go next, etc.

From memory the important signs are in English, too.

Odd, I can't really remember much about landing, and getting outside, I must have been tired/wired. 

Anyways, you land, you get out, you get your luggage, you go though immigration and customs (you should go through the green line, meaning "nothing to declare") and now you are in a big open area of the building.  If you leave, you will have to re-scan you luggage to get back into the secure area, so, be sure before you leave that you have everything (hopefully none of your luggage is lost or anything like that).

In front of the building you are in, is a parking lot and beyond that, a main road leading into the city.  Another parking lot is beside the building also.

Slumba....you need to re read what you wrote. Somehow I think you staggered out of that airport terminal. Tired or wired???

Exactly which terminal.....in which airport are you describing???

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »
I am 90% sure I am going to Terminal D.

100% sure it's Borispol Airport...
Caleb Maupin

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
Slumba....you need to re read what you wrote. Somehow I think you staggered out of that airport terminal. Tired or wired???

Exactly which terminal.....in which airport are you describing???

There are 2 airports in Kiev, Zhulyany and Boryspil.  From what I know, mostly internal flights land at Zhulyany, and the international flights land at Boryspil. 

I could have been tired from the 16 hours of travel, or wired due to caffeine and excitement - not sure which it was  :D
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline LAman

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2015, 11:02:29 AM »
I am 90% sure I am going to Terminal D.

100% sure it's Borispol Airport...

110% you are landing at Borispol

100% you are coming out of Terminal D

Only question is if you land at a gate in Terminal D or get shuttled from plane into terminal D

Offline oso

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2015, 12:02:32 PM »
you will be landing at Borispol.....Yes you will be in terminal D...It is not that big, you can walk all floors in less than 5 minutes.
When you get off plane follow the heard to passport control. US and British citizens use the 2 far right lanes to passport control...Look at the signs...they are in English. If asked why are you here, tell them you are tourist.

After you get through passport control, you go to baggage claim and pick up your baggage....follow the GREEN LINE OUT through the doors, unless stopped by customs. If you are stopped don't worry, at most they may X-ray your baggage. You are allowed to bring 1L of booze. Continue walking the green line out the doors....you will be at a glass wall...turn right walk 30ft and that is where your woman should meet you. You will be on the street level...walk out the doors to your ride and hello Kyiv :) It is 35 km to Kyiv

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Kyrgyzstan
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2015, 12:11:41 PM »
As far as baggage screening, I followed someones advice several years ago.  Pick up your baggage and head for the exit.  Do not look at customs people or anyone else, just act like you know what you are doing exiting.  If you act like a tourist you will probably have to have your baggage screened.  If you are chosen to have your baggage screened, someone will politely come up to you and indicate to put your baggage on the X-Ray conveyor.

Good luck.

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2015, 01:16:22 PM »
So I have to declare..

My 2 bottles of wine and one bottle of crown royal.. okay...
Caleb Maupin

Offline cc3

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »
As far as baggage screening, I followed someones advice several years ago.  Pick up your baggage and head for the exit.  Do not look at customs people or anyone else, just act like you know what you are doing exiting.  If you act like a tourist you will probably have to have your baggage screened.  If you are chosen to have your baggage screened, someone will politely come up to you and indicate to put your baggage on the X-Ray conveyor.

Good luck.

I commute between Lviv and the US every three weeks (long story). For the last six months or so, the Lviv customs inspectors have been directing almost all inbound arriving passengers to their x-ray machine; maybe they're bored. My inbound flight is always the nonstop from Munchen. I don't think that the security planners are expecting enemy GRU/FSB agents to enter the country from Germany, but...who knows? Maybe there is a general uptick in entry screening nationwide in the last few months.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2015, 05:37:51 PM »

Good luck.

I've seen people pick up their bags from baggage claim and walk past the baggage screeners to the exit doors too. It works. The worst that can happen is they tell a person to come back to have their bags screened.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline John of Hesperia

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2015, 07:11:44 PM »
I'll wish you a wonderful and successful trip if you will do the same for me.  We are both newbies here, but I have traveled a lot domestically.
   We are leaving from far different locations, but will be landing just a couple hundred miles apart, and leaving on the same day!

Doug, 2tall and BillyB seem to be straight shooters and all the advice here is very good.  It had better be, or I will find out where they live!!!

Bon Voyage!
Old ain't dead, but it don't feel good getting old.  Pain is nature's way of telling me I'm still alive!

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2015, 07:13:10 PM »
John, if you are listening to the three of them, you're in good shape

Offline JayH

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2015, 08:33:36 PM »
The   X-Ray  machine seems to be out of favour in Kiev--  I have not noticed it at all in recent times.
What they are doing is randomly  approaching people and asking--how much cash do you have-- and what is the value of gifts.
At times there can be quite a few doing this duty-- and obvious western men are a target.
So--I would suggest thinking of answers in advance--  even if I had 10K I would still say something like--I have $1000 but I can draw more as needed on my cards-- and I expect to be able to pay with credit cards.
Gift value-- oh not much-maybe $20 !!  Something like that.

There is several aspects to answers--they want to now you can support yourself-- and that no laws are being broken.
Note-- this is all after passport control-- and collecting bags and as you leave restricted area.The officers will be polite-even friendly-- and speak English.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline LAman

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2015, 10:01:11 PM »
The   X-Ray  machine seems to be out of favour in Kiev--  I have not noticed it at all in recent times.
What they are doing is randomly  approaching people and asking--how much cash do you have-- and what is the value of gifts.
At times there can be quite a few doing this duty-- and obvious western men are a target.
So--I would suggest thinking of answers in advance--  even if I had 10K I would still say something like--I have $1000 but I can draw more as needed on my cards-- and I expect to be able to pay with credit cards.
Gift value-- oh not much-maybe $20 !!  Something like that.

There is several aspects to answers--they want to now you can support yourself-- and that no laws are being broken.
Note-- this is all after passport control-- and collecting bags and as you leave restricted area.The officers will be polite-even friendly-- and speak English.

I agree with you Jay, it seems only people there to question male tourists ( it is very obvious with size of bags) and same questions about money brought and gifts. I usually say $800-$1000 and on gifts lots of candy. There are rules on how much of things can be brought in duty free, never brought multiple liquor (only 1 bottle)or cigs before. X-rayed only one time and once in Kharkov I actually was brought to an office and questioned about why I am visiting Ukraine. If you lie, there are fines..........and possible imprisonment(just kidding)

Offline jone

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2015, 12:02:15 AM »
I'll wish you a wonderful and successful trip if you will do the same for me.  We are both newbies here, but I have traveled a lot domestically.
   We are leaving from far different locations, but will be landing just a couple hundred miles apart, and leaving on the same day!

Doug, 2tall and BillyB seem to be straight shooters and all the advice here is very good.  It had better be, or I will find out where they live!!!

Bon Voyage!

For a nickel, I'll give you Doug's address.  But don't try looking up Too Tall.  You would be travelling over the River Styx.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline amal8

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2015, 12:46:10 AM »
What's the best credit card for international use? Capital One Quicksilver has unlimited 1.5% cash back, no annual fee, and no foreign transaction fees.

Is there a danger custom agents steal your money if you bring like 5K?

Offline Noch1

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2015, 01:52:17 AM »
Out of curiosity Noch, how many times have you landed at Terminal 1 in Kiev??? :o

Sorry my mistake, it is terminal D, not 1. My wife and I were talking
and she said the first one and I wrote one. 3 times for what its worth.

Sorry for any confusion.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2015, 06:48:44 AM »
What's the best credit card for international use? Capital One Quicksilver has unlimited 1.5% cash back, no annual fee, and no foreign transaction fees.

Depends on where you're going.
Is there a danger custom agents steal your money if you bring like 5K?

No. But the bigger question is why do you need to carry 5K? Keep your cash on your person or hidden away in your luggage. If you are taking 5K be sure to hide it in numerous places and most importantly, do not flash it around or let anyone know you have it. Thieves are more danger than customs. Sometimes they are one and the same. I would suggest you only carry on your person what you can carry safely and not be paranoid or suspicious and again, avoid showing it or flashing it for any reason.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541737
Total Topics: 20872
Most Online Today: 1517
Most Online Ever: 12701