It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Brexit good, bad or indifferent?  (Read 94633 times)

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Brexit good, bad or indifferent?
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2016, 10:34:24 AM »
Last night proved otherwise... those with degrees tended to vote remain...go figure THAT

They are more sheep-like, after being indoctrinated for more years than the others?
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Online BillyB

• Good Story
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2016, 11:36:06 AM »
IMO the Brexit merely accelerates the inevitable for all of us if change is not made in programs such as entitlements.   

The inevitable will happen anyway. Maybe the sooner the better. Once government gives people entitlements in exchange for votes, it's hard to take those entitlements away. Later, something has to give and people's feelings are going to get hurt.

I think with less bureaucracy burdening people in the UK, the harder they'll work for themselves. If people get to keep the bulk of the fruits of their labor, they are more inclined to work harder. Humans by nature are selfish. Accept that fact and governments can capitalize. Being selfish is not a bad thing because successful people contribute more to the benefit of others than those who can barely take care of themselves.

I like Alan Greenspan. Smart guy but when he was in control of the Fed, he failed to implement enough policies to shrink the housing market bubble before it busted. He alone may not have been able to stop the bubble from growing but he knew the bubble existed and could've prevented less pain even if it hurt people's feelings that they are not qualified/responsible enough to buy a house.
There are people that will pass info about you and your family. Do not share info about yourself or share photos as they can search for you on the internet and distribute what they found since they are allowed to participate here.

Online Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »
What does Russia think?

Putin takes a swipe at Cameron month after Cameron took one at him; however, Putin does not gloat. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/brexit-putin-takes-a-swipe-at-cameron-after-eu-vote/ar-AAhAlcz?ocid=spartanntp

Although Putin is not gloating publicly, he surely is smiling at anything that weakens Europe according to this pro-EU opinion.  This opinion piece reminds us of the number of Ukrainians who were killed while waving the EU flag at Maidan. 

http://www.rferl.org/content/daily-vertical-transcript-brexit-makes-putin-smile/27817409.html.

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »
They are more sheep-like, after being indoctrinated for more years than the others?

Sure, the real sheep are wondering why most stuff we import will be more costly  ..those with degrees knew that voting to be 'independent' was pure folly ..
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:32:04 AM by AnonMod »
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2016, 12:57:40 PM »
BRITISH LOSE RIGHT TO CLAIM THAT AMERICANS ARE DUMBER[/b]
Sure, the real sheep are wondering why most stuff we import will be more costly  ..those with degrees knew that voting to be 'independent' was pure folly ..

You know what's worse than listening to the non-stop Euro bleating from the left wing media?...

Reading your non-stop foot stomping temper tantrum over the UK's vote to return to common sense.

I can't think of a more apropos image in response to your whinging ...

If you have something intelligent to add to the discussion then do so otherwise Shhh the adults are posting.

Brass

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:32:25 AM by AnonMod »
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Online Gator

« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2016, 01:38:22 PM »

It depends upon what is negotiated.  If Germany wishes to spank the British popka as an example to other nations considering exiting from the EU, it will be messy. 

In a reasonable divorce, both parties come out with less. 

Online Gator

« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2016, 01:39:39 PM »

BRITISH LOSE RIGHT TO CLAIM THAT AMERICANS ARE DUMBER

I disagree.  Obama is still the "dumber." 

Offline LiveFromUkraine

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2016, 01:51:57 PM »
You know what's worse than listening to the non-stop Euro bleating from the left wing media?...

Reading your non-stop foot stomping temper tantrum over the UK's vote to return to common sense.

I can't think of a more apropos image in response to your whinging ...

Brass

lol  The sky is falling rhetoric is fun to watch.  I expect a lot more when Trump wins the presidency.   :P

Online BillyB

• Good Story
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2016, 01:58:06 PM »
BRITISH LOSE RIGHT TO CLAIM THAT AMERICANS ARE DUMBER[/b]

It's satire written by a comedian.

It seems the majority of people with the most education and life experience voted for Brexit. The link below also shows the majority of young people with less education and knowledge of how the world works voted to stay with the EU. I trust older people over young to make the right decisions.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/young-people-voter-turnout-data-for-brexit-vote-143811714.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma#
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:32:51 AM by AnonMod »
There are people that will pass info about you and your family. Do not share info about yourself or share photos as they can search for you on the internet and distribute what they found since they are allowed to participate here.

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2016, 02:02:52 PM »

lol  The sky is falling rhetoric is fun to watch.  I expect a lot more when Trump wins the presidency.   :P

:D According to CNN if he does win Planet Earth will break orbit and fall into the Sun.

Brass

Online BillyB

• Good Story
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »
  I expect a lot more when Trump wins the presidency.   :P

Brexit is good news for Trump. It shows if the polls are wrong, it's going to favor the one or party strongest on preventing uncontrolled immigration.

Funny thing is if the EU and Obama took care of Syria like they should have, there wouldn't be a Brexit. Millions of refugees fleeing that contribute nothing to the EU's economy and the fact the EU tells UK to keep their borders open have tipped the scales in favor of Brexit.

Offline ML

« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2016, 02:44:15 PM »
Earlier in this thread, I posted comments strictly from an economic viewpoint.

From the economic viewpoint, UK should have stayed in the EU.  No semi-intelligent person with any knowledge of economics would disagree with that.

However, as I have read what others have posted and viewed some news stories on TV, I came to realize there was another part of this.

This second part related to the immigration situation.  i.e. A mass of people coming into UK whom a great number of UK people did not want to come in.  As a citizen of USA, I can certainly understand this.

Most of the posters here are throwing out opinions (including myself originally) without seeming to understand these two separate issues.

Now it appears that none of us, and not even most of the UK voters have a real handle on what will be the effect on any 'unwanted' immigration into UK.

So UK citizens are going to face an unknown situation with respect to one of the issues (immigration) and face hardship with respect to the second issue (economics).

I think the worst outcome will happen:

1) Unwanted immigration will continue into UK and 2) severe economic crisis will occur in UK.
Winston Churchill.  “The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

Online Gator

« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2016, 02:50:40 PM »
To understand Brexit, one should examine why Britain joined the EU in 1973.   

Online Gator

« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2016, 04:34:25 PM »
Questions from an Ignorant Yank

I may be wrong but its seems the  UK has never fully embraced the concept of the EU.  It was not part of the original common market, the predecessor to the EU.  The UK never adopted the euro even though other EU countries used the euro as their currency.   

Did the UK negotiate a special status when joining the common market and the EU?  What was it?  Does the UK share the same responsibility for backing the euro as those who use the euro?  Did the UK have to guarantee  loans to Greece and other southern tier countries?  Are there other members of the EU with special conditions tied to their membership in the EU?   

Please help.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2016, 04:53:11 PM »

I may be wrong but its seems the  UK has never fully embraced the concept of the EU.  It was not part of the original common market, the predecessor to the EU.  The UK never adopted the euro even though other EU countries used the euro as their currency.   

Did the UK negotiate a special status when joining the common market and the EU?  What was it?  Does the UK share the same responsibility for backing the euro as those who use the euro?  Did the UK have to guarantee  loans to Greece and other southern tier countries?  Are there other members of the EU with special conditions tied to their membership in the EU?   

Please help.

Gator,

from another ignorant Yank  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opt-outs_in_the_European_Union

best I could find.

Cheers!

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »

Please help.

I'm ignorant on the subject of the EU as well but, I would expect the central banks to crash the Sterling or, UK just caused a domino effect of the EU. It would appear (at least from here) one or the other is going to have to fail. The EU is nothing more than an economic union that crossed over and brought geopolitics along with it. Both the EU and UK going about their respective business and prospering doesn't appear to be an option.

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2016, 05:25:01 PM »
Well, let's take a look at the damage shall we...

FTSE 100 Index

INDEXFTSE: UKX - Jun 20, 8:00 AM GMT+1

INDEXFTSE: UKX - Jun 24, 4:46 PM GMT+1

Well look at that. The FTSE ended the week up.  :o

http://www.google.ca/#q=FTSE+100

USD per 1 GBP One week review.

17 Jun 2016 22:00 UTC

GBP/USD close:1.43147 low:1.32383 high:1.50056

23 Jun 2016 22:45 UTC

GBP/USD close:1.36834 low:1.32383 high:1.49036

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=1W

Factor in the 10 pence spike on the 22nd due the markets speculating it was going to be a Remain vote and it's about a 3% drop on the day.

Now, I'm no financial Guru but it seems to me the Market boys pushing up the FTSE and Sterling just prior to the referendum might have served up one of the most lucrative money making sessions of the year for them. ;)

So much for the sky is falling.

Brass

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:31:43 PM by Brasscasing »

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »
Did the UK have to guarantee  loans to Greece and other southern tier countries? 

Here's a short list of who Greece owes..

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-how-much-greece-owes-germany-others-2015-07-09

Other than private investors and finance companies it doesn't look like UK was that involved in direct financing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_System_of_Central_Banks 

They are a part of the European Central Bank, but segregated from the EURO in a scheme called Eurosystem for all the countries that do not use the common currency.

I'm ignorant on the subject of the EU as well but, I would expect the central banks to crash the Sterling or, UK just caused a domino effect of the EU. It would appear (at least from here) one or the other is going to have to fail. The EU is nothing more than an economic union that crossed over and brought geopolitics along with it. Both the EU and UK going about their respective business and prospering doesn't appear to be an option.

Really I don't think much can fail.  Yes the EUR lost a couple pennies against the USD, but GBP seems to have fared much worse against both if I'm reading things correctly, no currency disaster by any means.

Stocks on the other hand, worldwide took a beating, but not close to 2008 territory. 2 Trillion wiped off the books in a day, but that will slowly recover over time for the most part.

The worst is probably over for currencies and things will recover a bit the next weeks until things get settled in.  UK GBP and their markets will probably still stay down for a long while, maybe going lower in spurts if UK splits up.  They are now heading upstream with one paddle and it ain't in a canoe. 

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2016, 06:59:05 PM »

BRITISH LOSE RIGHT TO CLAIM THAT AMERICANS ARE DUMBER

Don't worry, we will do something dumb soon enough and not even realize
unless it's pointed out to us. Lastly, let's wait and see if things actually turn
out as bad as they say. I wouldn't be surprised if the UK bounced right back
and landed on their feet.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2016, 08:01:32 PM »
So much for your British polls, eh?  ;D

Yep, they got it wrong.  However, although of course it doesn't matter now, I wonder if the result might have been different if the weather had not been so bad in several parts of the country.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2016, 08:13:50 PM »
Yep, they got it wrong.  However, although of course it doesn't matter now, I wonder if the result might have been different if the weather had not been so bad in several parts of the country.

70% turnout I read, that's a pretty good turn out

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2016, 08:15:34 PM »
So basically you don't understand, because you don't know.

Let me assist you :

http://www.google.com/search?q=calais+immigration+to+uk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Again, you are dealing with legality, not reality. 

I'm well aware of the camps, and, yes, I'm dealing with legality.  It doesn't change anything in my post.

Reality is:

"Most [of the new EU passport holders] came from outside the EU, mainly from Morocco, Albania and Turkey. "

as in this article http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/679531/migrant-crisis-five-million-new-EU-citizens-given-right-enter-Britain

Why don't you go ahead and tell me what the likely nationality and religion of the new EU passport holders is likely to be...

Which part of "EU passport holders with the appropriate proof of identity are allowed into Britain" can't you grasp?  Do you seriously think that all new EU passport holders are suddenly going to want to enter Britain on some sort of whim?  There are only a few thousand in the camps, not millions, and many of those don't have EU passports anyway.  The "five million" quoted are the numbers over about the last seven years - not the last few months.  Of course some illegals will be successfully smuggled in - but nowhere near the numbers which permeate the USA.

As for the nationality and religion of the new EU passport holders - give me a break!  The nationality could be anything from Portuguese to Polish.  So what if many of them are Muslims?  Sure, a few may be radicals in waiting - but the vast  (and I mean VAST) majority are looking only for a new home, free of the economic or political tyranny that many have experienced in their lives to date, something which you obviously cannot comprehend from the safety of your soapbox.  The UK's immigration policy may change once it leaves the EU, but it's still a member at the moment, with all the obligations which that entails.

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2016, 08:22:26 PM »
I'm well aware of the camps, and, yes, I'm dealing with legality.  It doesn't change anything in my post.

So what if many of them are Muslims?  Sure, a few may be radicals in waiting - but the vast  (and I mean VAST) majority are looking only for a new home, free of the economic or political tyranny that many have experienced in their lives to date, something which you obviously cannot comprehend from the safety of your soapbox.  The UK's immigration policy may change once it leaves the EU, but it's still a member at the moment, with all the obligations which that entails.

Up thread you told me you didn't know about Calais.  Now you indicate you do know about it.  Maybe a misunderstanding.

I will send you some of your favorite chocolate or candy.  Only 0.5 grams out of 100g will have a lethal dose of cyanide.  That's OK, right? 

"Zero Muslims in my country" is a choice that British people living in Britain, not unelected faceless bureaucrats in Brussels, or unaccountable Germans or Swede immigration officers, should get to make.
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2016, 08:25:16 PM »
70% turnout I read, that's a pretty good turn out

Not bad at all, but that's still over nine million people who didn't/couldn't vote.  Many of those were younger voters, a substantial majority of that group who did vote having elected to Remain in the EU.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1334238/low-turnout-in-key-remain-areas-london-and-scotland-hands-boost-to-leave-campaign/

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36616028

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 9967
Latest: Frrrrrrt
New This Month: 2
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 489569
Total Topics: 19389
Most Online Today: 1278