It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Brexit good, bad or indifferent?  (Read 129224 times)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Brexit good, bad or indifferent?
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2016, 08:45:05 PM »
Up thread you told me you didn't know about Calais.  Now you indicate you do know about it.  Maybe a misunderstanding.

As you hadn't mentioned the camps, and I can't read your mind, how was I supposed to know what you were talking about?

I will send you some of your favorite chocolate or candy.  Only 0.5 grams out of 100g will have a lethal dose of cyanide.  That's OK, right? 

No problem - I'm immune to cyanide.  :devil:

"Zero Muslims in my country" is a choice that British people living in Britain, not unelected faceless bureaucrats in Brussels, or unaccountable Germans or Swede immigration officers, should get to make.

Seriously?  And you have the balls to suggest this, when nearly 5% of the existing British population is Muslim?  And nearly half of them were actually born in the UK?  What next?  You want to vote for "No Muslims in the USA" as well?  Actually, you don't need to answer that, because it's patently obvious which way you swing when it comes to "democracy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_Kingdom

An extract from that page:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Islam is the second largest religion with results from the United Kingdom Census 2011 giving the UK Muslim population in 2011 as ~2,706,066, ~4.5% of the total population. The vast majority of Muslims in the United Kingdom live in England: 2,660,116 (5.02% of the population).

Look at page 24 of the attached report:

http://www.mcb.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/MCBCensusReport_2015.pdf

This shows that the biggest proportion by far of the Muslims in Britain are Pakistani, either by birth or ethnic origin.  Pakistan was a founding member of the British Commonwealth, although it did suspend its membership from 1972 to 1989 after East Pakistan declared independence and was recognised internationally as Bangladesh.  Are you now going to say that Commonwealth citizens should no longer be welcome in the country from which the British Commonwealth takes its name?

Online BillyB

• Good Story
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2016, 08:57:47 PM »
From the economic viewpoint, UK should have stayed in the EU.  No semi-intelligent person with any knowledge of economics would disagree with that.

As I showed in a previous post, older, wiser people were most likely to vote Brexit. The only thing I agree with economists is that UK will experience a rough ride in the first few years. I don't agree UK will be hurt long term. The UK isn't going to cease to exist but there is a chance the EU will cease to exist. Greenland left the EU in the 80's and I don't see them pounding on the EU's doors to get back in. If the economists think joining the EU is such a wonderful thing, why don't they suggest USA to join to improve our economy? I don't think the EU is the miracle answer for any nation except those looking for help, such as Ukraine.

With the current immigration of millions of Syrians to Europe and having to obey orders from headquarters in Brussels isn't something I would be happy with. Just as we seen a wave of terrorism the last 6 months from children of immigrants in America and the EU, we will see a huge wave in 20 years after many more radicals will be born in the EU. Terrorism hurts the economy. Immigration can help a country but the right kind of immigration is needed. America likes to bring in hard working and intelligent people. If the EU can bring in a million immigrants a year to help with their industry, it should be with hard working and intelligent people. They met their quota with the Syrians and few are hard working or educated to our standards. I don't know of one country that taps into Syria for their biggest and brightest minds. They go elsewhere for talent.

In the link below you will find nations like Germany, Spain and the Netherlands having the same percentage of people who want to leave the EU as the UK did. France would leave right now if there was a vote today. The people in those nations feel they are dragged down by the bureaucrats in Brussels and by other nations not pulling their weight. The only nation that isn't pulling it's weight that will vote themselves out is Greece and that's because they are bitter of having to live life with strict austerity rules dictated by the EU. In a previous link there was 6 out of 7 nations polled that would vote themselves out. Can that many people be wrong and the economists right? We won't see immediate reactions from other nations. Europeans will watch UK for a couple of years to better understand the struggles of a divorce and later it's benefits. I didn't like my divorce from my first wife but I knew I could do much better. The UK, France, and Germany definitely could do better. Italy's got BC, pure American talent, so they'll be alright.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/eu-referendum-brexit-fear-contagion-end-of-european-union-142100907.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:00:44 PM by BillyB »
There are people that will pass info about you and your family. Do not share info about yourself or share photos as they can search for you on the internet and distribute what they found since they are allowed to participate here.

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2016, 10:03:03 PM »
[quote author=Anotherkiwi link=topic=20940.msg434661#msg434661 date=14668

This shows that the biggest proportion by far of the Muslims in Britain are Pakistani, either by birth or ethnic origin.  Pakistan was a founding member of the British Commonwealth, although it did suspend its membership from 1972 to 1989 after East Pakistan declared independence and was recognised internationally as Bangladesh.  Are you now going to say that Commonwealth citizens should no longer be welcome in the country from which the British Commonwealth takes its name?
[/quote]

It's up to the British how they want to handle immigration to their country.

It is not my call, and to the point, not Germany or Sweden's or Brussels' bureaucrats call.
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2016, 10:11:25 PM »

It is not my call, and to the point, not Germany or Sweden's or Brussels' bureaucrats call.

And yet you're the one who posted this:

"Zero Muslims in my country" is a choice that British people living in Britain, not unelected faceless bureaucrats in Brussels, or unaccountable Germans or Swede immigration officers, should get to make.

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2016, 10:34:32 PM »
As I showed in a previous post, older, wiser people were most likely to vote Brexit.

No,all you proved was that you were as clueless as they were

Let me demonstrate for you. Boston in Lincolnshire voted BIG style [more than 70 percent ] for leave....it just happens to have the highest population of E. European immigrants - who mainly work in agriculture

I have a neighbour who voted leave- on the basis of too many foreigners coming- too many at the hospital

These migrants are mainly 'white Christians'....

The 'Muslims' are mainly from a previous wave of migrants - many who are second/ third generation UK citizens and anyone from outside the EU -incll. America / 'Oz, etc., has to be sponsored, speak good English - just like getting a visa for a wife. If you have big money and are non-EU ' welcome'...

The leave vote was mainly about not being able to control the 'white christian' Europeans, by lying about the threat of Turkish migrants being allowed freedom of movement .

The Brexir campaign was mostly about 'controlling immigration ', but will ultimately result in larger illegal immigration - as time will prove..The UK was NOT part of agreements to take the share of the load of migrants from Syria and north Africa and when the French tell us to take our border controls to our side of the channel - as they WILL ..the daft Brexit voters in places like the port of Dover will realise, 'Duh, we screwed up'...

In the meantime 300 plus billion was wiped off the value of shares, on day one of us being better off ...

Yup, 'real' smart move by 'intelligent' people who 'won back control' ..
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2016, 10:49:51 PM »
I doubt the UK will change it's stance on Ukraine, Bo. Infact, the UK might even strengthen it's stance on Ukraine now that (in reasonable time) it's free of the watering down effects of the EU policies towards Russia.

Brass

That's an interesting insight, I never thought of the effect of UK on EU policy.

Does anybody know the the time frame of the exit?

During the two-year negotiation period, EU laws would still apply to the UK. The UK would continue to participate in other EU business as normal, but it would not participate in internal EU discussions or decisions on its own withdrawal.

So politically speaking UK is out as soon as they invoke article 50.

What does Russia think?

Although Putin is not gloating publicly, he surely is smiling at anything that weakens Europe according to this pro-EU opinion. 

Gator,

He is surely smiling.. but maybe not for the reasons you think..

Another aspect aside from the Ukraine issue is that the US will lose a lot of influence with EU.  Uk was always a staunch supporter of US policies and probably helped to tip the political balance in favor of US operations, especially Iraq.

Aside from losing an 'Ace' in the hole EU wise and even veto influence, consider also that the only one US air base in UK will remain there.  The others are closing down and units being consolidated, mainly to Germany.  Host nations to US/NATO usually 'allow' non NATO operations and overflight.  Remember Turkey, a NATO partner 'allowing' military operations to be based from US bases there?  I don't think there is much in the way of single nations or EU from blocking operations that NATO is not involved in if EU and the single nations do not agree to such.  Germany hosts two major air bases, Italy one and Turkey one.

I don't know how much support there would be for a new US build up in EU.

Putin will surely be wooing EU a good bit.

Had Hillary posted this during her tenure as Sec. State, it would have been likely classified LOL.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:52:26 PM by BC »

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2016, 10:53:04 PM »

Yup, 'real' smart move by 'intelligent' people who 'won back control' ..

How did Rotherham area vote, BTW?

Online BillyB

• Good Story
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2016, 12:03:55 AM »
No,all you proved was that you were as clueless as they were

Yup, old people don't know what's best for their economy and country. You made the right decision siding with the people, who are on average, a few years past their teens. Which group is more likely to vote on a position out of selfishness? Which group is more likely to vote on a position for the benefit of future generations even if it caused them temporary hardship?
There are people that will pass info about you and your family. Do not share info about yourself or share photos as they can search for you on the internet and distribute what they found since they are allowed to participate here.

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2016, 12:10:04 AM »
Brexit - a second referendum

600 k plus voters  are asking for a 2nd referendum and a pause to Brexit

Thought I'd use RT for a change

http://www.rt.com/uk/348228-petition-parliament-uk-brexit/

http://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215/

We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.

Naturally, I am one of 600k - already - votes
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Online BillyB

• Good Story
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2016, 12:20:00 AM »

We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.

This stuff can happen in the UK? Making up new rules after the game is over? No side is going to get 60% so you obviously are going to have an endless cycle of referendums which means the UK will remain in the EU. Nice trick msmobyone but I don't think the uneducated old folks are going let you make more rules until you win.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2016, 01:37:11 AM »

The UK had that right before Brexit.  AFAIK, Pakistan has never been a member of the EU.
To love someone means to see him as God intended him. - Fyodor Dostoevksy

Offline Boethius

« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2016, 01:51:49 AM »
To understand my point, look  beyond the UK governance (Tory, Labour, etc.) to the next layer, i. e. the EU.   

EU = establishment. 

Now consider the degree to which UK governance knelt down to EU not only in respect but in submission.  From having done consulting work for the EU, the offices in Belgium in my opinion had much power, and their power was growing. 

Was EU "Good" or "Bad" since its inception?   It seemed to be 'good" on the whole.  However. never judge the future based on past performance.   Instead look at the trends of policies and the like.

What we have now is a return towards free markets.  Greed is not good, but "Free markets" is good (over the long term).  We are now in the short term of major change, and to be precise, the beginning of change.  Long term?

What I found interesting is how narrow the vote went for such a huge black and white decision.  This is not a vote where the narrowly winning party will need to compromise closely with the narrowly losing party to make "gray" decisions.  "Out" is "out," there is no gray. 

Caveat:  I am an American, so what do I know about the EU! I look forward to the diverse opinions of people who live, sleep and work there.

But did they? 

From what I have read, contrary to the Brexit camp's assertions, EU legislation is not imposed by faceless bureaucrats.  The EU Commission makes recommendations, but those are debated and are legislated into existence by an EU parliament, whose members are elected directly by the citizens of member states.  Nigel Farage, for example, has been a member of the European Parliament since 1999.   That really is no different from how most parliamentary democracies operate.  In Canada, we call those unelected Ottawa bureaucrats "mandarins".  They are critical to the development of policy, but their recommendations can be, and often are ignored, usually for political considerations.

The Brexit vote came about because the Tory party has always been rather ambivalent about the EU, and Tory MP's demanded it.  David Cameron, from all I've read, was himself rather ambivalent about the EU, but perhaps recognized it is the result of trade offs and didn't wish to exit the EU.  But, he was facing an internal revolt on the issue.  That is why he suggested a vote.  IIRC (and I may not), the idea was first floated when the Tories were in a coalition with the Liberals.  PM Cameron promised an election on the issue to placate disgruntled members of his own party, and did so before the last general election.  He assumed he would again be ruling a coalition government, and at that time, such a promise would have been empty, as there is no way the Liberals would have supported a referendum.

David Cameron is the third Tory PM to have lost power because of the EU issue.

For a different POV -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/the-european-elite-forgot-that-democracy-is-the-one-thing-britai/

and the aftermath -

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/a-pyrrhic-victory-boris-johnson-wakes-up-to-the-costs-of-brexit
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:25:42 AM by Boethius »

Offline Boethius

Offline LiveFromUkraine

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2016, 03:58:03 AM »

lol  Basically, you didn't get your way and now you want to change the rules in order to get your way.   I wonder what would happen if the roles were reversed?  I have little doubt the words daft and clueless would be thrown around.  You seem to be channeling JayH in many of your responses.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:59:51 AM by LiveFromUkraine »

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2016, 05:37:44 AM »
Not bad at all, but that's still over nine million people who didn't/couldn't vote.  Many of those were younger voters, a substantial majority of that group who did vote having elected to Remain in the EU.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1334238/low-turnout-in-key-remain-areas-london-and-scotland-hands-boost-to-leave-campaign/

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36616028

Maybe it was divine intervention?  :D

Those polls you were so quick to quote earlier were the ones that were stating it was a vote of the working classes against the elites. Perhaps those that saw the issue as worthy were the ones that voted? 70% is a big turnout

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2016, 05:43:13 AM »
For Brass -

http://www.theloop.ca/in-the-wake-of-brexit-many-britons-are-now-considering-moving-to-canada/?symeid=OutbrainLoopArticle

LOL, Bo.

I suggest we add insult to injury and inform them sorry but as a result of EU  immigration policy we're currently filled to the brim with Syrians.  :P

Brass
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline fathertime

« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2016, 08:31:43 AM »
Trump is really politiczing the brexit..claiming it is all Obama's fault....In some respects Trump is echoing some of the same things I've been grumbling about for years:
TRUMP:
"[Obama] is constantly dictating to the world what they should do. The world doesn't listen to him, obviously. You can see that from the vote. I actually think his recommendation…caused it to fail," Trump said on Friday, June 24, via the Daily Mail.

"I was actually very surprised that President Obama would've come over here and he would have been so bold as to tell the people over here what to do. And I think that a lot of people don't like him, and a lot of people voted — if he had not said it, I think the result might have been different," he continued. "I thought it was inappropriate."

If I was more sure that Trump wasn't going to be so divisive within our country, I'd actually consider voting for him.  He often says a lot of things that ring very true regarding the US attempting to dictate to other nations....although it is actually the Republicans that have been the most hawkish, with Obama trying to rein them in...so I think it is a bit ridiculous to try to pin our overly aggressive foreign policy all on Obama.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/donald-trump-blames-barack-obama-hillary-clinton-for-brexit-vote-w211181

Fathertime!
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline fathertime

« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2016, 08:37:42 AM »

I occasionally browse RT myself, like any source it has to be looked at with suspicion, but it is interesting .  Insofar as trying to have a redo on the Brexit vote, I think that is the way to create reason for a genuine violent revolution...what is done, is done...For the people of the UK to vote for such a drastic change the sentiment among many must be pretty sour I imagine.

Fathertime!
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Online BillyB

• Good Story
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
Trump is really politiczing the brexit..claiming it is all Obama's fault

I didn't need Trump to tell me Obama is at fault for Brexit. My feelings are that Obama's lack of commitment to ending the Syrian war while committing to it half heartedly has led to millions of refugees headed to Europe, endless war and bloodshed, increased terrorism and terrorist gains. Immigration was a big concern during the Brexit vote since EU citizens, including refugees after they get the right to live in the EU, are more freer to travel within EU member states. If just 2% of the Brexit voters voted on the other side of the fence, UK would still be in the EU. Obama's policies didn't influence all who voted for Brexit  but just enough to tip the scales to make a difference.

For the people of the UK to vote for such a drastic change the sentiment among many must be pretty sour I imagine.

It's hard for people to be happy when they lose. I didn't put on a temper tantrum when Obama won both his elections. Just got to accept more people want what I don't want.

Gator earlier mentioned this is a black or white decision with no grey area. On the surface it looks like that but there will be lots of grey area. UK and the EU will continue to do business with each other under new agreements. I read about the Greenland decision to leave the EU and afterwards there were negotiated agreements. EU needed rights to fish in Greenland's waters so they are paying Greenland for that right. The sky will not fall for the UK but the beginning of the end may have begun for the EU since citizens of the more prosperous nations are more likely to vote leave than stay too.

Offline SANDRO43

• Sandro's Website
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2016, 09:39:37 AM »
A closely run result: 52% for Brexit, 48% for Remain.

Remain groups have intimated that they'll request another referendum in a couple of years' time.

Strong Remain-voting areas like Northern Ireland and Scotland are agitating for a first (N.Irish) and second (Scots) secession referendum.

It would be ironic if Brexit resulted in the United Kingdom eventually reverting to:

- Great Britain first, then
- Just England later

--> -->
;D
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Brasscasing

« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2016, 09:52:26 AM »
I didn't need Trump to tell me Obama is at fault for Brexit. My feelings are that Obama's lack of commitment to ending the Syrian war while committing to it half heartedly has led to millions of refugees headed to Europe, endless war and bloodshed, increased terrorism and terrorist gains. Immigration was a big concern during the Brexit vote since EU citizens, including refugees after they get the right to live in the EU, are more freer to travel within EU member states. If just 2% of the Brexit voters voted on the other side of the fence, UK would still be in the EU. Obama's policies didn't influence all who voted for Brexit  but just enough to tip the scales to make a difference.

There's another more recent example, Billy. While in London Obama in effect threatened the UK population with punitive trade measures if they voted to leave. This created a huge backlash...

Barack Obama: Brexit would put UK 'back of the queue' for trade talks

..."Barack Obama has warned that the UK would be at the “back of the queue” in any trade deal with the US if the country chose to leave the EU, as he made an emotional plea to Britons to vote for staying in."...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/22/barack-obama-brexit-uk-back-of-queue-for-trade-talks

Brass

...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »
But did they? 

From what I have read, contrary to the Brexit camp's assertions, EU legislation is not imposed by faceless bureaucrats.  The EU Commission makes recommendations, but those are debated and are legislated into existence by an EU parliament, whose members are elected directly by the citizens of member states.  Nigel Farage, for example, has been a member of the European Parliament since 1999.   That really is no different from how most parliamentary democracies operate.  In Canada, we call those unelected Ottawa bureaucrats "mandarins".  They are critical to the development of policy, but their recommendations can be, and often are ignored, usually for political considerations.

One measure of the quality of olive oil is the amount of acidity in the oil.  The less acidity the better.

Spain, for their domestic and export markets, used to test and have on the label the acidity measurement.

When harmonizing with the EU, Italy (having more clout) forced Spain to drop this measurement. 

Now it is literally illegal to put a known, scientific fact on an olive oil label.

Let's have a look at the relevant EU reg:

"As defined by the European Commission regulation No. 2568/91 and subsequent amendments, the highest quality olive oil (Extra-Virgin olive oil) must feature a free acidity lower than 0.8%. Virgin olive oil is characterized by acidity between 0.8% and 2%, while lampante olive oil (a low quality oil that is not edible) features a free acidity higher than 2%."

Spanish olive oils were lower than Italian olive oils, having as little as 0.3% and 0.5% . 

Their competitive ability was nullified by EU edict at the behest of their competitors who sometimes shipped a lower quality product.

(I am sure that Sandro, having even more knowledge than me about this subject, can add to it.)

Again, reality of EU's behavior trumps legality...

Online BillyB

• Good Story
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2016, 11:46:49 AM »
One measure of the quality of olive oil is the amount of acidity in the oil.  The less acidity the better.

Spain, for their domestic and export markets, used to test and have on the label the acidity measurement.

When harmonizing with the EU, Italy (having more clout) forced Spain to drop this measurement. 

Now it is literally illegal to put a known, scientific fact on an olive oil label.

The fight over olive oil isn't the only reason people are upset. Remember the time they tried to hack up the English language?  This didn't go over well with the citizens of the UK. It didn't go over well with spell check either. :P

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/1606

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would become known as “Euro-English.”

In the first year, “s” will replace the soft “c.” Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.

The hard “c” will be dropped in favour of “k.” This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome “ph” will be replaced with “f.” This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent “e” in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing “th” with “z” and “w” with “v.”

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary “o” kan be dropd from vords kontaining “ou” and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis & evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2016, 12:01:03 PM »
The US will lose a lot of influence with EU.  Uk was always a staunch supporter of US policies and probably helped to tip the political balance in favor of US operations

Who is Germany's largest trading partner?
Who is the Uk's largest trading partner?
Who is Francy pant's third largest trading partner? 
Who is Italy's third largest trading partner?
Who isn't going to be thrown under any buses?
Hint the answer to all 5 questions is the same.

However, it would be nice for the US and EU to be close but whatever will be will be.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.

Offline SANDRO43

• Sandro's Website
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2016, 02:12:27 PM »
(I am sure that Sandro, having even more knowledge than me about this subject, can add to it.)
I'm not an authority on olive oil, but what I vaguely remember is that "Extra Virgin" must be cold-pressed once only and not subjected to any chemical treatment - "pomace" (the residue from a 1st press) still contains some oil.

Therefore, IIRC acidity is only one of several regulatory parameters and, as I was formerly schooled in chemistry, I know it's VERY easy to lower acidity values with suitable treatments ;) - say, with a dash of NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) or similar basic agents.
Milan's "Duomo"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 9983
Latest: dav111
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 1
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 494570
Total Topics: 19464
Most Online Today: 1861