It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Brexit good, bad or indifferent?  (Read 101673 times)

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Brexit good, bad or indifferent?
« Reply #400 on: July 05, 2016, 02:41:17 AM »
I see a lot of difference. According to your link in a previous post, UK paid around 1.5 billion pounds after rebates to the EU in 2001. They paid 11 billion pounds after rebates to the EU in 2013. You don't see those alarming increases for any one state in America.

Billy,

Really, I was just pointing out that the principles involved were the same.  But ok, you feel UK is getting screwed..  lets check it out.

The EU budget is around 145 billion EUR.. or 160 billion USD at current exchange rates.  This amount is 40 billion less than the federal tax revenue from NY, maybe equal or even less than that of the NYC metro area.  In GDP terms, that equates to less than 1% for EU and a little over 16% for the US.  This just to put the EU budget contributions into perspective.

http://europa.eu/pol/financ/index_en.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax_revenue_by_state

In terms of GNI (Gross national Income) which is a figure usually a bit higher than GDP, the UK pays the lowest rate of all EU countries due to their rebate.. a little over half than the average... -maybe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8036097.stm#start

But "WAIT!!" you say... "that's from 2007.. "

Well the latest I could find was for 2014

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Who-pays-for-the-EU-and-how-much-does-it-cost-the-UK-Disentangling-fact-from-fiction-in-the-EU-Budget-Professor-Iain-Begg.pdf

Hasn't changed much at all for UK..

One thing is probably sure.. if they don't get out quick, their next payments will be even more costly considering the GBP EUR trend...

Next?

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #401 on: July 05, 2016, 02:54:58 AM »
We have had 40 years of the the union only time will tell what happens next, we have not walked this path before

Great let'sbe the Guineu pigs / lemmings - jump off the cliff and see what happens... Oh wait... Remain said the GBP would fall markets would fall and Britain's economy would falter.. ''PROJECT FEAR' ..was the smug answer from 'Leave'..

It's already project FACT

nobody said it will be easy,

Fibber ... Remain told us it was suicidal

commodities are up

Oh 'sure'..

FTSE 250 share index - which includes far more British companies

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=%5EFTMC

click on one month 6June - 5July

6.2 percent down ...

Gawd help us from clueless voters voting like Turkeys for Christmas  ;)

Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Online BillyB

• Good Story
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #402 on: July 05, 2016, 11:02:34 AM »
Billy,

you feel UK is getting screwed..  lets check it out.

I can't vote over there so my opinion doesn't count. I'm just saying there's a few things that tipped the scales in favor of Brexit. Most UK citizens agree they're getting screwed. If the EU gave up a little, they would've gained a lot with UK staying. They gambled their very existence over UK staying without having to give up anything. Too little, too late.
There are people that will pass info about you and your family. Do not share info about yourself or share photos as they can search for you on the internet and distribute what they found since they are allowed to participate here.

Offline dragonkid

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #403 on: July 06, 2016, 03:33:25 AM »
Funny when people outside the UK, tell us brits how we feel. The Truth is msmob is pretty accurate, problem isn't only Muslims. My mother is a white European, she gets looked down upon by some english people, even though more brits retire in her country than her nationality reside in the uk. I had a tenant who migrated from ghana, he told me the country is going downhill since Romanians and polish people are undercutting him. A few people who voted out thinking they will be protecting their benefits, London is now foreign, not because Muslims pushed out the English, simply because housing benefits are now sending people out of London. Muslims are an easy target, once they are gone, other foreigners will be targeted, but hey, what do i know? I only lived in London most my life, and lived in other cities. Majority of you know nothing about how people genuinely feel, only if you lived here, actually talked to them, you will see that the problem is not only Islam.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 03:36:16 AM by dragonkid »
Not all of us Brits have terrible teeth, right Msmoby?

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #404 on: July 06, 2016, 03:36:06 AM »
Most UK citizens agree they're getting screwed. If the EU gave up a little, they would've gained a lot with UK staying. They gambled their very existence over UK staying without having to give up anything. Too little, too late.

BillyB

There you go, AGAIN

1/ Many people thought they were voting to 'regain control' of immigration that was already controlled
2/ The EU had already compromised on a brake on total freedom of movement and rights to social benefits being curtailed.

I'll wager any 'deal' will be similar to what Cameron brokered  - if not worse ..

GBP down below 1.30 and at lowest levels for 30 years against most currencies..it's even lost against the rouble

Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Online BillyB

• Good Story
« Reply #405 on: July 06, 2016, 09:19:10 AM »
BillyB

There you go, AGAIN

1/ Many people thought they were voting to 'regain control' of immigration that was already controlled
2/ The EU had already compromised on a brake on total freedom of movement and rights to social benefits being curtailed.

There you go again. I provided an article that has Cameron asking the EU for more control over immigration after the Brexit vote. I doubt he'd be asking that if immigration is under control as you claim.
There are people that will pass info about you and your family. Do not share info about yourself or share photos as they can search for you on the internet and distribute what they found since they are allowed to participate here.

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #406 on: July 07, 2016, 07:27:48 AM »
There you go again. I provided an article that has Cameron asking the EU for more control over immigration after the Brexit vote. I doubt he'd be asking that if immigration is under control as you claim.

NO, BillyB

Cameron ''risked all'' on his compromise that was not accepted and is null and void .. He will NOT be negotiating any deals with Europe

ALL your response has done has proved you can't read ..

FORTH TIME

The UK already controlled immigration from non EU nations ...

Online BillyB

• Good Story
« Reply #407 on: July 07, 2016, 08:07:59 AM »
Cameron ''risked all'' on his compromise that was not accepted and is null and void .. He will NOT be negotiating any deals with Europe

Of course he's not going to negotiate deals with Europe. He's on the way out. But he's not blind to the facts and knows the EU must give them more control over their immigration. After all, the divorce isn't going to be final until two years from now. here is the link again. If there's a way to reverse Brexit, Cameron is hinting what that might be.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/cameron-eu-leaders-uk-control-immigration

ALL your response has done has proved you can't read ..

FORTH TIME

The UK already controlled immigration from non EU nations ...

I can read and I read you're trying to be sneaky this time by saying UK already controlled immigration from non EU nations. We're talking about UK not happy with the amount of control EU has over the UK, right? Or are we discussing the control of immigration Zimbabwe, Peru, and Cambodia have over UK?

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #408 on: July 07, 2016, 08:51:31 AM »
Of course he's not going to negotiate deals with Europe.

Jeez, trying to have an intelligent conversation with you is harder than dealing with adults with learning difficulties and hearing problems ;)

1/ Do you accept that the UK already says who gets in - if not EU citizens ?

2/ Do you accept that the UK could stop EU citizens who were a risk to Public Health, Hygiene or a risk to national security or had criminal records ?

3/ Do you accept that Cameron had negotiated a deal which became null and void on the Brexit vote ?

The answer to all of those can only be YES... they are factual - not open to debate...

Your inability to let this info sink in proves you must be as dumb as some of the Brexit voters who thought the UK was letting 'anyone' in ...

He's [Cameron] on the way out. But he's not blind to the facts and knows the EU must give them more control over their immigration.

He's made it clear that the electorate have rejected his advice to 'remain' and he will NOT negotiate further .... Simple enough for you ...The election for his successor is well under way ... today there will only be two candidates left in the race - started off with 5

After all, the divorce isn't going to be final until two years from now.

Thanks, I'm well aware of the period of uncertainly we just set for ourselves and two years is highly optimistic.

here is the link again. If there's a way to reverse Brexit, Cameron is hinting what that might be.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/cameron-eu-leaders-uk-control-immigration

:deadhorse:

BillyB now PROVES beyond all reasonable doubt that he is not cognitive..and has reading comprehension issues..

Cameron explains that many voters wanted to control all aspects of immigration - currently we cannot stop a healthy EU citizen who is no risk to Public health / hygiene or a risk to national security or the public from entering the UK

I can read and I read you're trying to be sneaky this time by saying UK already controlled immigration from non EU nations.

WHAT is 'sneaky' about stating fact ? Actually try to READ what I post, before responding and looking dafter.... HINT ..the UK DID  already control immigration from non EU citizens..

We're talking about UK not happy with the amount of control EU has over the UK, right? Or are we discussing the control of immigration Zimbabwe, Peru, and Cambodia have over UK?

BillyB

I have no idea what you are talking about - but IF it still relates to immigration and the EU - ''freedom of movement'' - appertaining to EU nationals and their family members  - I have spoon-fed it for you.

Online BillyB

• Good Story
« Reply #409 on: July 07, 2016, 09:19:36 AM »
Your inability to let this info sink in proves you must be as dumb as some of the Brexit voters who thought the UK was letting 'anyone' in ...

Dumb people won Brexit. Intelligent people lost. Who's the real dummy?

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #410 on: July 07, 2016, 09:43:09 AM »
Dumb people won Brexit. Intelligent people lost. Who's the real dummy?

As you say - the dumbest won .... this is reflected in the UK stock markets and the 'Great' British Pound...

Now did you 'get it' re your confusion over current UK immigration policy ?

Offline LiveFromUkraine

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #411 on: July 10, 2016, 03:45:35 PM »
The EU doesn't like the idea of the UK slashing their corporate tax rates in order to keep companies from leaving.

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/97208/british-tax-cut-plan-not-a-good-idea-eu

“We should not enter into exacerbated fiscal competition between ourselves, or fiscal dumping,” Moscovici said in the first public reaction by the bloc to Osborne’s proposal.[/size]
Sounds like collusion to me.  Naughty, naughty.

Offline ML

« Reply #412 on: March 14, 2017, 10:55:16 AM »
Heard on news that Scotland now wants to take a re-vote on whether to leave the UK or whatever.

This is based on their unhappiness over the Brexit situation.

I wonder if Northern Ireland might want to follow suit some day.

Could lead to a total collapse of the UK.
Winston Churchill.  “The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

Online jone

« Reply #413 on: March 14, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »
Dumb to me is when people make their opinions known on something that they know nothing about.  I make no representations to know the minutia of politics in Great Britian.  And the first thing I will tell people is that the Devil is in the Details.  And further, that opinion is created on the streets of England.  Therefore, I opine that Americans trying to tell Brits who was right and who was wrong about Brexit is just about as stupid as JayH trying to tell America what its policies should be.

I have no problem with comparing our apples to your oranges.  In the US we do this.  And in your country, you do that.  But to understand how Joe Sixpack thinks on the streets of Peoria is not something that one can experience unless living here.  We interact in the political arena on this forum.  I have always treasured being able to ask people of other countries how their politics work.  But I would be looked at as an idiot to make assumptions that I knew more than the locals.  (I probably am looked at as an idiot anyway. After all, I spend hours each month on an online forum.)
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Online msmob

« Reply #414 on: March 14, 2017, 12:06:26 PM »
Dumb to me is when people make their opinions known on something that they know nothing about.  I make no representations to know the minutia of politics in Great Britian. 

That is clear, as Great Britain AND Northern Ireland make up the UNITED KINGDOM - who all voted re Brexit.... ;)

No to Brexit, Yes to a People's Vote on Brexit, THEN a General Election

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #415 on: March 14, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »
Dumb to me is when people make their opinions known on something that they know nothing about........... the Devil is in the Details.

+1

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.

Offline wallm

« Reply #416 on: March 14, 2017, 01:16:43 PM »
I am dumb. I learned about Brexit by reading that liberal trash rag called nytimes. ;D

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #417 on: March 15, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »
I am dumb. I learned about Brexit by reading that liberal trash rag called nytimes. ;D

I learned about it from reading a bunch of different articles about it, then
I started this thread to see what others thought about it.

I really don't have a horse in this race, I figure that the citizens of the UK will
figure it out and that the doom and destruction crowd are being Chicken Little
again.

FSUW don't do vague

Online msmob

« Reply #418 on: March 15, 2017, 02:37:10 PM »
I learned about it from reading a bunch of different articles about it, then
I started this thread to see what others thought about it.

I really don't have a horse in this race, I figure that the citizens of the UK will
figure it out and that the doom and destruction crowd are being Chicken Little
again.

Oh, Beel !

Since the vote the f'n Pound Sterling has plummeted - A year ago If I sent SC the equic of 100 USD , she'd be getting 65c, now

Project fear' as leavers christened the remain warning - has become project fact ..

We now have a 75 billion USD shortfall  - even the govt admit this is due to the uncertainty following the vote - in Public accounts

Brits living abroad and EU citizens here - who never needed to register - let alone obtain the equiv of a Green Card - they could just tip up - and settle haven't got a clue what is happening as the govt thinks 'a strong hand in negotiations' means not giving reassurances - even though Mrs May had given them...

Best of all, Mrs May tells the Scots - who now want another Independence vote - that we are stronger together - whilst suggesting we are better off leaving our neigbours' club with whom we trade tariff free and do five times the trade than the USA - who are are inward looking..

Sure, you know better :)

PS in case you didn't know both N.Ireland and Scotland voted to REMAIN...

PPS It's Chicken Lickin over here - and the sky is falling in ... as anyone with a clue could have predicted....

PPPS Trump's visit has been put back  - now that was a wise move..

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #419 on: March 21, 2017, 06:08:30 PM »

Sure, you know better :)

PPS It's Chicken Lickin over here - and the sky is falling in ... as anyone with a clue could have predicted....

PPPS Trump's visit has been put back  - now that was a wise move..

I never said that I know better, I actually started this thread to learn more.

What I did say was that
"I figure that the citizens of the UK will figure it out and that the doom
and destruction crowd are being Chicken Little again"

I am confident that the country that survived the Bombing of London in
WW2 and the Hundred Years war will survive this as well.

Udachi!

Bill 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:10:28 PM by 2tallbill »
FSUW don't do vague

Online msmob

« Reply #420 on: March 22, 2017, 12:46:59 AM »
I never said that I know better, I actually started this thread to learn more.

I apologise for the sarcasm, Beel . This vote to leave the EU has been the MOST monumentally STUPID decision and how we will  leave -  'hard Brexit'  - throwing everything away, just infuriates me,

I've done all I can to soften the blow - My kids can still be European citizens- live and work freely within Europe - through my and the maternal Grandpa being born on the island of Ireland - Irish Citizenship.

What I did say was that
"I figure that the citizens of the UK will figure it out and that the doom
and destruction crowd are being Chicken Little again"

THAT was the statement that made me MAD !

The Doom and gloom crowd includes me and with good reason - most of our 'fears' are already FACT :(..and we have't ye left - or officially started the leaving process.

We've already thrown away billions - which means more borrowing - which will burden our kids and their kids, etc.,   Those voting out may have believed we'd save money - by leaving - but we've already LOST far more - due to the uncertainty  associated with the unknown.

Look, we aren't special ...We are an island and only this saved us from being overrun in WW2..  ( including lives sacrificed and some smart inventions and help from the USA )

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #421 on: March 25, 2017, 07:03:56 PM »
Look, we aren't special ...We are an island and only this saved us from being overrun in WW2..  ( including lives sacrificed and some smart inventions and help from the USA )

The UK wasn't overrun because they were only accessible by sea and they had a superior
Navy. The UK had a very astute intelligence service and they had Churchill in charge rather
than a madman. The UK is special.
FSUW don't do vague

Online msmob

« Reply #422 on: March 26, 2017, 03:24:56 AM »
The UK wasn't overrun because they were only accessible by sea and they had a superior
Navy. The UK had a very astute intelligence service and they had Churchill in charge rather
than a madman. The UK is special.

As I said ... being an island was THE major saviour ... A navy wouldn't help if we had been physically connected to Europe .... WE were no more special than the French, Dutch, Belgian, Poles .......  we were an aircraft 'carrier' Hitler couldn't sink.. x

Online msmob

« Reply #423 on: March 28, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
The Financial Times today..

US bankers hatch two-stage Brexit plan for City

''The US bankers’ cautious comments came after a number of banks issued high-profile warnings this week, including HSBC’s confirmation of plans to move 1,000 roles in its London-based investment bank to Paris. UBS said about the same number of its London employees could be affected by Brexit, while Jamie Dimon, chief executive of JPMorgan Chase, said that more than 4,000 of his bank’s 16,000 UK staff could be hit.''

http://www.ft.com/content/a2af5c60-de16-11e6-9d7c-be108f1c1dce?segmentId=58ef64d9-d48e-225c-e245-6a9e1d858676&segment_detail=Story5UKbankerstwostage

Tomorrow the UK govt. will announce it intends to leave - but it hasn't a SCOOBY how it will persuade the Financial hub in London not to flee - if it can't do deals without tariffs with the rest of Europe and move staff freely.  :wallbash:

Offline Chelseaboy

« Reply #424 on: March 29, 2017, 01:45:21 AM »
Sky News poll today...50 % of UK people are happy or very happy that we're triggering article 50 today,whilst 36 % of people are sad.

Moby the UK basher is very much in the minority in his views.

It's a good day to be English today.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:49:01 AM by Chelseaboy »
Just saying it like it is.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 9974
Latest: shakennotstirred
New This Month: 5
New This Week: 1
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 491142