It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Brexit good, bad or indifferent?  (Read 127257 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Brexit good, bad or indifferent?
« Reply #2450 on: November 07, 2019, 07:27:21 AM »
What is 'pointless' about a pact to ensure yet another 60 seats do not go to a 'leave' party candidate ?   It worked SO well in Brecon and Radnor- as I predicted  ...

They will keep those they have and take most - if not all - the Scots Tory seats..  suits me, from a remain stance

He stood down - he says - for personal reasons ..  I suspect his old seat is 'safely' staying Labour ..

He announced he was going in Sept and the new speaker will deal with the numbers just as Bercow did ..

Conclusion:  Trench tried to duck yesterday's BAD day for Boris and Trench is going to hear too much aut UNITE to REMAIN ;)

http://unitetoremain.org/

Mobe, it's bs if you think these Labour politicians are going for 'oersinsl reasons'. Both Owen Smith and now Tom Watson have come out with this line. Both are arch Remainers who have gone against the will of the electorate and many of their own supporters by trying to stop the UK leaving the EU at every given turn in Parliament. They have acted in an unwanted obstructionist manner due to their own politics and wishes not of those of their constituents.

In short they will have had a lot of feedback from their constitutencies and found both string opposition to them amoung their own supporters both members and more importantly voters at large. Odds are they will already have local poll data showing the strength of feeling against them. They are looking at a humiliating defeat and don't want to be stood on stage when it happens. If they leave now they can avoid this and another Labour party candidate who doesn't have their voting record and may be seen as more neutral might still stand a chance of taking the seat.

Even with a previously large majority they can lose the seat. Many of their voters could still be leave voters who voted for them last time as they said they would respect the referendum result but have clearly shown their leave voters that they don't. If MP's like this are standing down then the writing is on the wall already Mobers. A potential Boris Johnson landslide victory could be on the way.

They've really upset their local leave voters and are finally paying the price for doing so. Since they are Labour Remain MP's who have tried to frustrate the process of leaving the EU to their fullest they know the best they can do now is step down in the hope that it will avoid the seat going to a staunch Leave candidate from the Brexit Party or the Tories.

That silly organisation you quoted shows just how out of touch you are Moby. The Tories hold few seats in Wales so at best they will just be taking seats if Labour who are on the fence over the whole Brexit issue. Plaid Cymru don't run in England so they won't likely have any real effect here. In Scotland there is not that many seats that the Tories are likely to lose. Even in Scotland the Remain majority areas were not that high.

Come Election night you are looking at a likely Conservative majority government Mibe and consequently Brexit :)
No Deal is Ideal, It's a Free Britain we want :)

Online msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2451 on: November 07, 2019, 07:36:40 AM »
Mobe, it's bs if you think these Labour politicians are going for 'oersinsl reasons'. Both Owen Smith and now Tom Watson have come out with this line. Both are arch Remainers who have gone against the will of the electorate and many of their own supporters by trying to stop the UK leaving the EU at every given turn in Parliament. They have acted in an unwanted obstructionist manner due to their own politics and wishes not of those of their constituents.

YOU say it is 'BS' - but it's not like you are a stellar reader of folks emotions ..   A lot of Tory remain MPs aren't standing - but I STILL expect a hung parliament as Boris scrabbling around for support ..

Come Election night you are looking at a likely Conservative majority government Mibe and consequently Brexit :)

And you 'predictions' have been 'spot on', so far  :popcorn:
No to Brexit, Yes to a People's Vote on Brexit, THEN a General Election

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #2452 on: November 07, 2019, 10:55:20 AM »
Well as thought and hoped for the new House Speaker has announced that he will follow convention and not bias as the old House Speaker John Bercow was. In particular he is looking to end the taking over of Parliament by the opposition i.e non governing party MP's and the derailing of Parliament. This is a good move I feel and will help government continue if in the case of a hung Parliament rather than allow chaos and impasse to reign.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50336267

Online msmob

« Reply #2453 on: November 07, 2019, 11:06:19 AM »
Well as thought and hoped for the new House Speaker has announced that he will follow convention and not bias as the old House Speaker John Bercow was. In particular he is looking to end the taking over of Parliament by the opposition i.e non governing party MP's and the derailing of Parliament. This is a good move I feel and will help government continue if in the case of a hung Parliament rather than allow chaos and impasse to reign.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50336267

Poor 'ol Trench

STILL doesn't 'get it'..

The MPs will control the House and it is unlikely it will be Boris' ;)

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #2454 on: November 07, 2019, 12:15:45 PM »
Poor 'ol Trench

STILL doesn't 'get it'..

The MPs will control the House and it is unlikely it will be Boris' ;)

Not true, this tells us the new Speaker won't tolerate the sort of take control of proceedings rubbish his predecessor did.

That is only of course if it is a hung Parliament. Boris could well win a majority. Barring that we are not likely to see as fractured a Tory Party as we have done as Boris kicked most of them out. Nor are we likely to see the as ardent Remainer MP in Labour kicking up a fuss as many are either choosing to stand down or are likely to lose their seats :)

Online msmob

« Reply #2455 on: November 07, 2019, 03:10:13 PM »
Trench,

What is 'not true' were your predictions.

I predict a hung Parliament and JC's Labour will garner support ...not Boris.

Sl.less scary...but once Brexit is dispensed with....

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #2456 on: November 07, 2019, 04:53:02 PM »
Trench,

What is 'not true' were your predictions.

I predict a hung Parliament and JC's Labour will garner support ...not Boris.

Sl.less scary...but once Brexit is dispensed with....

And where will JC's Labour garner support???

You've already discussed how the minor parties, particularly Lib Dums in Wales will pick up seats... at Labour's expense!!! They currently hold the most seats in Wales not the Tories.

Overall that adds very little, it just adds some Lib Dums and minuses some Labour MP's, the net effect against the Tories is negligible. It's like someone handing out a fiver on the agreement of being given a fiver in return, some Irish humour for you there Mobe ;D

There's no Lib/Lab pact so England being mostly Leave constituencies with the exception of London, Oxford & Cambridge are most likely to go Tory. The only exception will be in seats where the Brexit Party garner enough support to split the vote sufficiently. Judging by the polls the Brexit Party aren't running near the level they need to for this such as back during the EU Election.

It looks like previous Tory voters are going back to voting for the Tory Party where they are happiest.

The rest are likely Labour voters which might gain either the Brexit Party, the Tories or maybe even the Lib Dums a few seats. Overall though it's looking like the Tories will get this one.

The pound is up against the Euro since Boris got his EU Deal. If Boris wins a majority it will doubtful go up a lot more as it will bring a lot more certainty with it that the deal will be done.

Online msmob

« Reply #2457 on: November 07, 2019, 08:49:20 PM »
Trench.

As ever, you try to deceive others and yourself.

1/ The GBP rises on the news that 'crashing out' of the EU is averted and we are not leaving.

2/ Do you think the SNP / Lib Dems , Plaid Cymru,
or any N.I party will aid Boris ?,)) Only if he waters down his 'deal'.

3/ Labour are sitting on the fence and THIS IS a Brexit election... Eventually, people will realise that remaining in England means UNITING TO REMAIN.

You need to admit your past fails on leave dates and legal decisions.

Like dating, this is another subject where you should listen and learn )

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #2458 on: November 09, 2019, 05:17:45 PM »
Trench.

As ever, you try to deceive others and yourself.

1/ The GBP rises on the news that 'crashing out' of the EU is averted and we are not leaving.

2/ Do you think the SNP / Lib Dems , Plaid Cymru,
or any N.I party will aid Boris ?,)) Only if he waters down his 'deal'.

3/ Labour are sitting on the fence and THIS IS a Brexit election... Eventually, people will realise that remaining in England means UNITING TO REMAIN.

You need to admit your past fails on leave dates and legal decisions.

Like dating, this is another subject where you should listen and learn )

Mobe of course the minor parties are not going to aid Boris, they are opposed to any Brexit fullstop. For Boris it is good Labour are on the fence as they are unlikely to pick up the necessary votes this time. However, I think for Labour the issue of Brexit was always going to be a loser for them. Their voters are split evenly between Remain and Leave so Corbyn knows to side with one side would be to alienate the other.

Odds are Labour will lose some seats to the Lib Dums. I don't see them retaking Scottish seats in this General Election so they are most likely safe for the SNP. They could lose seats elsewhere in England though, possibly a few to Lib Dums but mostly to the Tories and possibly the Brexit Party.

Now if you remember back in the 80s and early nineties it tended to be the case that Labour would take all the seats in Wales and in Scotland. They would also take many up north and other places in England BUT the Tories would always get more seats in England outweighing all of Labour's. The same could well be possible in this Election. It's England where it's all likely to be won or lost  ;)

At the moment I would say Boris could well be on course to succeed in that manner.

Online msmob

« Reply #2459 on: November 10, 2019, 08:56:33 AM »
Trench,

you are the 'gift' that keeps on giving ;)

The Tories are not picking up the seats that Labour lose and face being nearly wiped on in Wales and Scotland

Boris will not get a majority and the minor parties WILL be king-makers

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #2460 on: November 10, 2019, 02:28:07 PM »
Trench,

you are the 'gift' that keeps on giving ;)

The Tories are not picking up the seats that Labour lose and face being nearly wiped on in Wales and Scotland

Boris will not get a majority and the minor parties WILL be king-makers

Well I'm guessing the Brexit Party could fullfill that role ;D

You're forgetting Mobe to get to where you want the Labour Party has to do as well as last time and presently they are not. Labour have to do as well as last time or better AND have the Lib Dums get substantially more seats. That's not happening at the moment, the Lib Dums have fallen away in the polls and Labour are stagnant. It's going the opposite way to what you need.

Remember all opposition parties (aside any possible Brexit Party MP's if they get any) will need to get more than the Tories and the DUP - a tall order I would say.

Online msmob

« Reply #2461 on: November 11, 2019, 04:26:55 AM »
Poor 'ol Trench

I'm 'forgetting', nothing ..

You'll see ..

You will be wrong, as usual

Did you see Boris in N.Ireland proving he hasn't a CLUE about his own 'deal' and the ramifications for N.I biz' having to fill in cusoms declarations to send stuff the GB ?  "Not" according to him ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-50352678

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #2462 on: November 11, 2019, 05:41:34 AM »
Poor 'ol Trench

I'm 'forgetting', nothing ..

You'll see ..

You will be wrong, as usual

Did you see Boris in N.Ireland proving he hasn't a CLUE about his own 'deal' and the ramifications for N.I biz' having to fill in cusoms declarations to send stuff the GB ?  "Not" according to him ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-50352678

Never mind that Mobers.

SUPERB NEWS JUST OUT!  :cheesy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50377396

Nigel Farage has just announced that the Brexit Party won't now contest any of the Tories 317 seats won at the last General Election!!!

The Brexit Party will now only contest Labour held seats and those of the other minor parties.

This is the type of election stance I was hoping for from Farage as it does much to avoid the potential danger of a lot of Tories just missing out by a few hundred or thousand votes and an opposition Remoan MP getting in there. Farage too can see the danger of potentially splitting the vote and letting a Remain opposition in who will seek to reverse Brexit.

Of late the Brexit Party has been slipping in the polls, of recent down from 11 percent to 9 percent so it was looking a self defeating effort to contest Tory Leave MP seats.

Now Farage can focus all his efforts on trying to take key Labour heartland seats. Places that voted Leave but are in the hands of a Remain Labour MP. Places which would never vote Tory but would vote for the Brexit Party.

Like me Farage has no love for the Tory Party but can see Boris and his deal as a viable way forward to leave the EU, at least for now.

Holding such a stance gives Farage a chance of gaining some MP's and possibly being the 'Kingmakers' you were discussing Mobe ;D

This could turn out to be a deciding turning point in the outcome of this General Election enabling Boris a better chance in forming the next government :) This move surely dwarfs the Lib Dum election pact with the minor parties :D

Not looking good for your 'wet dreams' Mobers ;D

Online msmob

« Reply #2463 on: November 11, 2019, 09:36:26 AM »
It is indeed news..

Farage knows he has to potential to screw up any 'brexit' at all and now we see how likely your dream of 'crashing out' was going down with the electorate..

Naturally, I do not trust Boris or Nige and Labour have to come off the fence, now..

I consider this great news...

Only Labour have to decide what they are...or they will be annulated.

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #2464 on: November 11, 2019, 02:49:53 PM »
It is indeed news..

Farage knows he has to potential to screw up any 'brexit' at all and now we see how likely your dream of 'crashing out' was going down with the electorate..

Naturally, I do not trust Boris or Nige and Labour have to come off the fence, now..

I consider this great news...

Only Labour have to decide what they are...or they will be annulated.

Mobe, when you are out peeing in the wind be careful not to stand facing into the wind, or you'll get covered in pee ;)

Online msmob

« Reply #2465 on: November 12, 2019, 01:25:22 AM »
Trench, you ARE a strange one..

Multiple fails re your  'predictions' ...

So, you get how HILARIOUS I find your latest 'summary'

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #2466 on: November 12, 2019, 03:00:58 AM »
Trench, you ARE a strange one..

Multiple fails re your  'predictions' ...

So, you get how HILARIOUS I find your latest 'summary'

Mobe, this Bexit process has been one with a lot of unpredictable twists and turns as a result of many unknown quantities, a hung Parliament, negotiation issues with the EU.

In general though things are going more in the direction of my predictions than yours.

Your Dominic Grieve, Mr ex- attorney general has failed to stop Brexit within the Tory Party and had even gotten kicked out himself. ChangeUK the 'big' coalition centrist party you said all Remain MP's would join has proved to be a damp squid. The Brexit Party who you said wouldn't do well in the EU Elections did do well, etc, etc.

I knew there was a General Election coming at some point, it was delayed from the point it would of/should of because of some unlikely surprised variables that couldn't have been predicted. It was not thought that Boris was really looking for a deal by me or you, but he got one.

You are predicting a hung Parliament, it could still happen, but it is looking like Boris is standing a good chance now of gaining a majority, my prediction.

Overall your 'wet dream' of reversing Brexit is falling apart Mobers and soon the event you 'predicted' will never happen 'Brexit' will take place.

That humble pie is on bake in the oven for you Mobe, when Boris wins his majority I will serve you up a big slice ;D

Online msmob

« Reply #2467 on: November 12, 2019, 03:50:17 AM »
YOU say 'unpredictable,  because you're always' mistaken' :deadhorse:

Offline Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2468 on: November 12, 2019, 09:58:42 AM »
No it isn't. Yes it is, no it isn't. Yes it is. No it isn't. Yes it is.

This thread is a version of Monty Python except the argument is free  :popcorn:

Online msmob

« Reply #2469 on: November 12, 2019, 10:19:17 AM »
As always, Mr Mistake is inattentive

Trench  has predicted ':

1/ 'we would be leaving without a deal on 31 March '19 -

2/ ditto 31 st October - Moby said NOPE

3/ That Boris' proroguing of Parliament was  'legal and proper' - Moby said NOPE

Do TRY to keep up

Offline Faux Pas

« Reply #2470 on: November 12, 2019, 11:51:28 AM »
As always, Mr Mistake is inattentive

Trench  has predicted ':

1/ 'we would be leaving without a deal on 31 March '19 -

2/ ditto 31 st October - Moby said NOPE

3/ That Boris' proroguing of Parliament was  'legal and proper' - Moby said NOPE

Do TRY to keep up

No it isn't

Offline Boethius

« Reply #2471 on: November 12, 2019, 12:03:25 PM »
No it isn't. Yes it is, no it isn't. Yes it is. No it isn't. Yes it is.

This thread is a version of Monty Python except the argument is free  :popcorn:

No different than these threads -

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=21530.0

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=23759.0

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=23991.0

. . .

This post was composed without the aid of google.

To love someone means to see him as God intended him. - Fyodor Dostoevksy

Offline Trenchcoat

« Reply #2472 on: November 12, 2019, 07:51:14 PM »
Well Farage has complained of recent that the Tories haven't replied in kind by offering seats where they will allow the Brexit Party a clear run at it.

I know the move to pull Brexit Party candidates from Tory held seats was essentially to give the whole Leave side a decent run at it. Even still while it should have improved the situation it would be even more helpful to both sides us they decided between them which might be best placed to take the remaining marginals and swing seats to avoid losing a lot of these seats to Remain parties. So far Farage's move makes it possible for Boris to be in earshot of a very small Majority possibly again with the DUP, the DUP not being the most helpful crowd for him to be in coalition with. Farage says he won't run candidates in approximately 317 Tory held seats. These seats are very likely to nearly all remain Tory with any small loses offset with small gains. Even still working on the 317 figure Boris needs to get to 326 or more, preferably more for a working majority. So 10 DUP MP's if they get that many again would just see him over the line. That would be a situation much the same as Theresa May had minus the real awkward Remoan Tory MP Rebels who Boris is largely rid off now.

To my mind it would be playing it too close to comfort and an exchange of say the Tories not standing in a few marginals where they don't stand much chance of winning in exchange of the Brexit Party not standing in a fair amount of marginals where the Tories stand a good chance of taking the seats make sense to me.

Boris is currently doing well in the polls so to my mind it would make sense for him get the most back from this rather than not so great a reflection of the support he has actually got.

That's how I see matters to date anyway on this issue.

Online msmob

« Reply #2473 on: November 13, 2019, 12:34:39 AM »
A risible description of circumstances and a Bollox conclusion

Online msmob

+-RWD Stats