It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML  (Read 122427 times)

Online Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Eliminating fishy taste of fish
« Reply #800 on: February 16, 2020, 07:16:55 PM »
It was a carp.

Don't make fun of carp.  Where I grew up the African Americans referred to them as buglemouth bass.  ;D ;D

Carp is fatty, and can be eaten when smoked.  Being a bottom feeder, I would be concerned with pollutants, but not bioaccumulation.

I believe Eastern Europeans also  eat smoked carp. 

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Fish stories
« Reply #801 on: February 16, 2020, 09:15:02 PM »
My first wife's family were big on fishing in Midwest.

They never kept or ate carp.
Winston Churchill.  “The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Eliminating fishy taste of fish
« Reply #802 on: Yesterday at 08:26:03 AM »
I did google search and found the method most often recommended was to soak the cleaned fish in milk for 20 minutes. then rinse off and dry....

Ironically, the fish that I think have one of the least 'fishy taste' to it is called "Bangus, or otherwise known as Milkfish. Predominant in So.East Asia. Pretty bony.

I concur with everyone here that say to stay away from farmed fish. Especially salmon.

My list in order of, IMO, fish with the least fishy taste:

Dover sole, Milkfish, orange roughy and (depending on how prepared) golden Pampano.
~1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming
~

msmob  (Yes, he really said these)

Online Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Re: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML
« Reply #803 on: Yesterday at 09:10:52 AM »
Professional opinions on 6 to eat and 6 to avoid. Some of the 6 are on the "avoid list" because of overfishing, e. g., the orange roughy remarkably can have a lifespan extending 200 years. 

http://www.onemedical.com/blog/eat-well/healthy-fish-eating-guide

I prefer fish with firm flesh:  tuna, cod, grouper, etc.  This video contrasts two similar fish in that regard (if you can understand the "English").

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #804 on: Yesterday at 09:13:53 AM »
Yes, the bonus is at an annualized interest rate of 2.67.
But also get the regular 1.70 interest rate.
So for these first 90 days, the combined earnings rate is 4.47%

Note:  I am not saying this is a great deal for a long term investment.

However, it is about the best thing around for idle cash awaiting further long term investment.

I have already completed this investment; but if anyone knows of something better, please let me know.

Again . . . short term investment with no loss of principal possibilities.

Don't even think of BitCoin and the like.

Not too long ago, we had a windfall and wifey and I tried investing in the peer-to-peer lending craze (2015). The return was pretty nice, not great considering there's that looming possibility you can lose your capital. We did fine and had since gotten out of it.

We invested in real estate. One of the unit we got (2011) sold brand new for $465,000.00. We rented the unit out since. The comps today is at $720,000.00 - $760,000.00. The rental market rate at present is at $3,200.00-$3,600.00. We're in the higher-end since it a two-story, 3-BDS/3BA free-standing unit with 2-car garage. Total monthly payment at the current time is ($2,300.00 - P&I, PT,F&HI,HOA). My biggest regret is not being ballsy and 'over-extending' us at the time and investing in 2, not one unit in this location.
~1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming
~

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #805 on: Yesterday at 09:44:51 AM »
I have always had some regret I didn't buy a few cheap apartments in Kyiv back in 2004 or so.
They could be had for $20,000 - $30,000 or so.  Then, before the crash, they were selling for near $100,000.  Now, they are back down to around $60,000, which still wouldn't be such a bad gain.

The brother of a good friend of mine bought 4 newer houses in foreclosure in Los Angeles area during crash.  He had good steady income from aerospace with 30 years at same company and wife had 30 years as nurse.  Their home was debt free, so banks gave them 90% loans. Was able to quickly rent all of them out to cover P&I and other costs.  Probably close to double in value today.
Winston Churchill.  “The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #806 on: Yesterday at 10:01:47 AM »
I've no idea details of this particular market, but so far it seems to be fairly lucrative.

I recently caught up with one of my buddies I grew up with and when we discussed his parents, he told me that they sold all their rental units and invested their profit in acquiring two gas stations along Hwy. 15 just outside the Las Vegas proper (northbound/southbound). According to him, the return had been so good his parents regretted not doing it sooner than they did.

He is first-generation Filipino-American - born and raised. His parents are old school. Their parents bought a 3-BR home in South Bay for him, his brother, and sister to live in. They made them pay for the mortgage for a few years. They eventually sold the home and his parents divided the equity amongst the 3, which they in turn used it to buy their own homes. Today, they are all well established family groups living in the nicer neighborhood of Manhattan/Redondo Beach.

Baby steps for giant strides. When well-planned preparedness collide with opportunities.
~

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 10001
Latest: leonardbones
New This Month: 8
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 498313
Total Topics: 19549