It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: What am I when it comes to immigration?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
What am I when it comes to immigration?
« on: September 11, 2019, 12:09:16 AM »

Are you British or Irish..or both? Courts must decide!

A lass from .N.Ireland got a Belfast High Court decision to rule that she was Irish for the purposes of her Application under EU law to apply for residency for her US partner.

The UK govt appealed and this is now The Good Friday Agreement v UK Nationity Law..

An interesting case for us as SC and I could still use the same route.

Will I have to 'renounce' being a Brit?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-49655676

I like having two passports ..when applying for Visas.. it is useful

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: What am I when it comes to immigration?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 03:45:54 AM »

Let's hope so  :ROFL:

I'm sure it's useful having two passports but what if everyone had easy access to claim dual nationality of another country. It would be chaos, people whipping out different passports wherever. To my mind it gives one person an unequal footing to another. To be honest I think a person is really only one nationality, but if the opportunity came up I can see why people go for both passports as there are big advantages.

Looks like it could be back to being an ol'Oirishman for you then Mobers ;D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 04:07:23 AM »
Er, Trench,

I've ALWAYS been British..

I've only been 'Oirish', officially as well, for just over a 'turd of moi lyfe'

I see you've offered nothing to the thread - just another silly  opinion about folks that have ( had? ) more options than you ... ;)

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
I believe the issue in the case was that she wanted to sponsor her spouse to live in the UK, not Ireland, on her Irish passport.  Don't you have a British passport as well as an Irish one?

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BC

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 01:46:09 PM »
Let's hope so  :ROFL:

I'm sure it's useful having two passports but what if everyone had easy access to claim dual nationality of another country. It would be chaos, people whipping out different passports wherever. To my mind it gives one person an unequal footing to another. To be honest I think a person is really only one nationality, but if the opportunity came up I can see why people go for both passports as there are big advantages.

Looks like it could be back to being an ol'Oirishman for you then Mobers ;D

Everyone in our home and all my kids have at least dual citizenship.  Max is 4 passports for my youngest son.  It's not chaos, but yes we do whip out different passports at different borders when travelling.  No big deal, with the freedom to live, work and play just about anywhere on the planet without a visa or permit.  I hope someday everyone can go enjoy their life anywhere on the planet without restrictions; that we all merge into one.

Offline jone

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 01:50:31 PM »
BC,

I'm just curious.  Doesn't that set off some type of an alarm if you enter the country using one passport and leave using a different one?   Especially if it reads on your passport that the name of your employer is Universal Exports?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline ML

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 02:27:28 PM »
BC,

I'm just curious.  Doesn't that set off some type of an alarm if you enter the country using one passport and leave using a different one?   Especially if it reads on your passport that the name of your employer is Universal Exports?

Of course.

Before recent trip to Ukraine, wife heard of those who had trouble coming into Ukraine on their Ukrainian passport and trying to leave on USA passport.  Need to leave on USA passport, because if try to leave on Ukrainian, they can stop you from boarding without visa to USA in your Ukrainian passport.

Those folks were pulled aside for additional questioning as to why no Ukrainian entry stamp in their USA passport.  Warned there would be fines if tried again.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BC

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 02:30:22 PM »
BC,

Doesn't seem to make a difference, even the airline check-in folks are getting used to it.  Goes something like this on a trip to RU:

Goto checkin counter, show EU passport, the clerk says where is visa, show RU passport.
Go through exit customs, show EU passport, they don't care where you are going, just that you were legally in-country.
Arrive Moscow, show RU passport at customs.

On return, same procedure but vice versa.

No one cares who you work for ;)

Which passports we use depends on where we're going..  example going to Turkey we would enter with Italian or Russian passports so we don't have to worry about getting a visa or paying the visa fee. 

Thinking about it, and your original question, I guess we usually enter and leave one country using the same passport. No logical reason to use a different passport (at customs).  Even if by mistake we show the wrong passport and *if* it raises eyebrows, it's a simple 'oops!' and pull out the correct one and get on the way. 

Strangely enough, I don't recall ever having my passport checked/stamped by customs when leaving the US except by the airline clerk for identification purposes.  Guess I could have used any passport? buh...

In a lot of places, it's only the airline people that pay much attention.. that's because if they allow someone to board that does not have permission enter the destination country they have to pay your way back if you get caught.

Offline msmob

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »
I believe the issue in the case was that she wanted to sponsor her spouse to live in the UK, not Ireland, on her Irish passport.  Don't you have a British passport as well as an Irish one?

This post was composed without the aid of google.

Got it in one..

I could wear the Irish 'hat' to use the EU freedom of movement route to bring my RU family resident in Cyprus to the UK ..

The UK govt made a rule that closed this route, if also a UK citizen.

The (London)Derry  lass has never HAD a UK passport...and used the EU route while applying for UK residency for her US husband.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/derry-woman-is-british-until-she-renounces-citizenship-tribunal-told-1.4013861

So, according to the UK Govt , I can use the EU route if I renounce my Citizenship. !

I used to be able to have an RU visa on both passports, so if one ran out I aleady had a new visa..

Was never an issue and I was asked at Kyiv (KBP,) why I was using two different passports...  I had no reason, other than I could..but told the guys I can two g/fs and neither knew of the other and they smiled and let me go...

It was nonsense, of course.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:08:57 PM by msmob »

Offline Gator

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 02:44:48 PM »
Wifey went to Russia in January.  Used RU passport outward bound and US passport to return.

No issues.

Offline Gator

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 02:45:22 PM »
I hope someday everyone can go enjoy their life anywhere on the planet without restrictions; that we all merge into one.

Noble idea for those who:

-  will be productive without depending upon the public welfare of the new host country,
       -  will not disrupt significantly the existing employment balance,       
       -  are not infected with an epidemic disease (especially a future super bug that we know nothing about today)
       -  do not have criminal intentions,
       -  do not have sedition intentions,
       -  etc.

How do we assure such or do we simply trust all will be good?  And if problems develop, how will they be corrected?

Sounds like our global society would eventually become a single world nation.  If so, is there an electoral college or do Chinese receive 5x votes of Americans?  ;)   

Offline BC

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 03:13:14 PM »

Noble idea for those who:

-  will be productive without depending upon the public welfare of the new host country,
       -  will not disrupt significantly the existing employment balance,       
       -  are not infected with an epidemic disease (especially a future super bug that we know nothing about today)
       -  do not have criminal intentions,
       -  do not have sedition intentions,
       -  etc.

How do we assure such or do we simply trust all will be good?  And if problems develop, how will they be corrected?

Sounds like our global society would eventually become a single world nation.  If so, is there an electoral college or do Chinese receive 5x votes of Americans?  ;)

We'll be able to vote everywhere like my son :)

As far as your list goes, most if not all are quite 'unknown' and can't be really validated.. So like today, we simply have to trust and deal with the consequences.

'Do you have any unknown, terrible diseases that will wipe out our country?'  is a silly question.  :)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 03:20:55 PM »

Was never an issue and I was asked at Kyiv (KBP,) why I was using two different passports...  I had no reason, other than I could..but told the guys

Mobe replied,

'I'm Orish!' ;D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Gator

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 04:36:11 PM »

'Do you have any unknown, terrible diseases that will wipe out our country?'  is a silly question.  :)

Yes, silly question.

A medical exam is not silly. 

Appearing before an immigration agent at the border is not silly either. 

Offline BillyB

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 05:06:12 PM »
  I hope someday everyone can go enjoy their life anywhere on the planet without restrictions; that we all merge into one.

That would be a great idea but unfortunately we have people/leaders who'd only agree to that idea only if they can remain in control and  control how people live, practice religion, etc... So we have to live life protecting ourselves from those people and continually preserving our way of life even if we got to get aggressive ourselves.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 05:36:48 PM »
Shouldn't feel too bad about that..in1776 quite a few people over here did.

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
Yes, silly question.

A medical exam is not silly. 

Appearing before an immigration agent at the border is not silly either.

I am in favor of mandatory proof of vaccination to get passport, visa, or admission for all countries. Also those with communicable diseases should not be allowed to travel. 
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline msmob

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 04:02:02 AM »
If I want to no longer be British it costs £378 = $464 = 422 Euro  :wallbash:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:02:43 AM by msmob »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1889
Total: 1900

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM