It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Poll

What city did you enjoy the most? You can vote for 2

Moscow
9 (8.2%)
Kiev
15 (13.6%)
St. Petersburg
20 (18.2%)
Odessa
9 (8.2%)
Kherson
3 (2.7%)
Kharkov
6 (5.5%)
Sumy
0 (0%)
Volgograd
3 (2.7%)
Sochi
2 (1.8%)
Saratov
1 (0.9%)
Ufa
1 (0.9%)
Minsk
5 (4.5%)
Vladivostok
0 (0%)
Other City (which one?)
31 (28.2%)
Crimea Area
5 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Your Favorite FSU City  (Read 12633 times)

Offline Turboguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Your Favorite FSU City
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2006, 12:58:22 PM »
Well actaully "other city" is leading the voting.  I thought I might vacation there with my gal but I can't find the airport code anywhere.

Offline Albert

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2006, 01:03:18 PM »

It (Kyiv) may not have the museums or high culture of Moscow and St. Pete . . . .

Yes, Kyiv is lacking in quality museums (many of the best art works from Kyiv were stolen during communist times and taken to Moscow and other places), however I think the culture in Kyiv is just as good as the Russian cities.  The opera house is quite beautiful and has wonderful performances (opera and ballet), and the Philharmonia is just as good as any I have experienced in Russia.

And, to add to the pleasantness of the experience, there is not the Russian two or three tiered pricing system in Ukraine for public places.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 01:05:03 PM by Albert »

Offline jinx13

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2006, 01:39:43 PM »
Volgograd....my second choice, smaller city. Known for it's famous defense against the Germans in WW2 when the city was known as Stalingrad. There are many war memorials throughout the city, and a very good museum if you are interested in WW2 history. Most of my photo's here are from this museum, it's very well done and gives you a sense of the sacrifice Russian's made to protect their motherland. The pic of the building that looks like it's about to collapse is actually the only remaining building from before the war. The germans completely destroyed Stalingrad and it had to be rebuilt.

The huge statue of the woman holding the sword (bigger than Statue of Liberty) is a symbol of this. It sits on top of Maemov Kurgan, the tallest hill in the city, and also where the biggest battle took place. There is also a building nearby with an eternal flame burning for the soldiers that lost their lives there.

Yes, the city is one big war memorial, but there is much more to it than that. It has all the normal big city things, shopping malls, excellent restaurants, great dance clubs, Theatre, grand churches, etc. but it's also located on a river, which is nice. You can take boat tours, some have loud music and dancing, and a lot of nice girls on board  ;) The river promenade area is full of life, people walking about, sitting in cafe's or beer stands that are nearby. In the summer it's also a great place to see outdoor concerts.

This was my first destination, so I have a soft spot for it, but I would reccomend this city to anyone, especially those actively seeking a woman, this area seems to have more beautiful women than the average FSU city. The only thing I can compare it to, would be like how Texan and California girls are viewed here, there just seems to be MORE beauties. The last pic is of my ex near the promenade by the river, I wish I had more photo's of this area, sorry.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 01:42:00 PM by jinx13 »

Offline Michelangelo

• Opted-Out
  • A man paints with his brains and not with his hand
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2006, 02:34:34 PM »
I'll share a couple of my Moscow pictures, and later some other cities... here goes:
The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.  michelangelo

Offline Michelangelo

• Opted-Out
  • A man paints with his brains and not with his hand
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2006, 03:18:47 PM »
And in Kharkov...

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.  michelangelo

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2006, 09:52:03 PM »
Just back from the ozone for the last few weeks....

The choice would have been easy if it was there but it was not so:

Omsk, Russia

How could I choose otherwise? This is where I met my wife so no need to consider any other city as being bad/so-so/good/great/wonderful.

The best city for each of us is where we find the "she" who is all that we have been looking for isn't it?

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Voyageur

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2006, 03:28:05 PM »
I am back from a long trip also. I voted for Other city which is Stavropol and St. Petersburg. Both cities have everything you could hope for.

Offline wiz

• Alt Forum
  • Born in Greece living in England
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 01:51:44 AM »
Kiev is my kind of city for its buzzing life especially around independent square at the weekends.

Lviv is a small treasure in the west of Ukraine and take a look at my gallery to see why!

You can find everything there, architecture, modern town, old and new blending nicely and of course everything you need.

http://www.airsunholidays.co.uk/lviv/photogallery/pic01.html

Offline jinx13

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 11:32:07 AM »
 I never knew Lviv was so beautiful, great photo's wiz

Offline wiz

• Alt Forum
  • Born in Greece living in England
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 11:03:10 PM »
I never knew Lviv was so beautiful, great photo's wiz

Yes it is and if you need more information to read go to my site:

http://www.airsunholidays.co.uk/lviv/index.html

I have been there about 12 times and never get tired or bored with the place.

Now of course I have new destination to discover....Russia and is so large.....LOL

Offline jj

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2006, 11:49:36 AM »
My first trip to Volgograd and Volzsky was very memorable.  The river scenes and the war history is very interesting.  I gained alot of insight into the people there.  Of course my best part was seeing my lady. :D-jj

Offline jinx13

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2006, 01:20:08 PM »
Hey JJ,

Some very familiar sights there  :)  How did you like the WW2 museum and panorama painting?

If anybody has seen the movie "Enemy at the Gates"  it gives you a good idea of the devastation and destruction that occured during the battle of "Stalingrad" now Volgograd. The entire city was destroyed by the German's and then subsequently rebuilt with the help of thousands of German POW's.

The statue of the woman holding the sword is a tribute to those that died protecting "Mother Russia" and it stands atop Maemov Kurgan, one of the tallest hills in Volgograd and the place where most of the fiercest battles took place.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541782
Total Topics: 20876
Most Online Today: 1579
Most Online Ever: 12701