It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: FSUW and Holidays  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Icarus

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
FSUW and Holidays
« on: August 03, 2007, 04:08:34 AM »
Hi, Im curious about the level of devotion, or tradition that FSUW have with holidays.

As a Western Im in a unique position for all cultures, that I dont celebrate Christmas, New Years, Birthdays, or Valentines.

I do though make a big deal over anniversaries.

How will FSUW women react with a partner with such views?

For me, I would rather give my bride a present/flowers etc everyday than just once a year when the whole world expects it, and over commercializes it.

My reasons for not celebrating such events/festivals/holidays are religious based, I do not expect my future wife to share similar views, nor would I try to convince her to follow my relgious choice; raising children would be an issue that would need much communication though.

Any thoughts?

Ick
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I come to die, to discover that I had not lived.

Offline I/O

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: FSUW and Holidays
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 04:19:10 AM »
Hi, Im curious about the level of devotion, or tradition that FSUW have with holidays.

As a Western Im in a unique position for all cultures, that I dont celebrate Christmas, New Years, Birthdays, or Valentines.

I do though make a big deal over anniversaries.

How will FSUW women react with a partner with such views?

For me, I would rather give my bride a present/flowers etc everyday than just once a year when the whole world expects it, and over commercializes it.

My reasons for not celebrating such events/festivals/holidays are religious based, I do not expect my future wife to share similar views, nor would I try to convince her to follow my relgious choice; raising children would be an issue that would need much communication though.

Any thoughts?

Ick

Icarus: FWIW I think you have about a snowflakes chance in hell of making it through with a Russian woman who will most likely be Orthodox to a more or lesser extent.

Russian women (Whom I know) are HUGE on New Year, Christmas, Womens Day, Valentines Day, Birthdays, Easter and so on. You will run up against some serious issues there which I highly doubt you will overcome.

I/O

Offline Lily

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 04:24:43 AM »
I think it is all up to family and the loving ones around the person.
Many people do celebrate, some do not.
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 05:07:23 AM »
IMHO, you need to make a list of days that an RW think is important (since they have different days than we do). Do something extra on these days. A note hidden where she will find it, some flowers, make a speech at breakfast, write a poem about her eyes or her lips or her hair (poems don't have to rhyme or be profound), whisper some special thoughts into her ear. It takes only a little effort to make a woman feel special. But to ignore days that she thinks are important.............. I would not like to be in your shoes forgetting these days.

You have to let a woman know that she is special and important (because she is). Don't let her down. She will do a hundred things every day for you, don't let her think that you did not appreciate her on these days.

Just my two kopecks,

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Mir

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 05:46:36 AM »
Such an attitude shows strong religious beliefs.

Therefore IMO you should be sure that your future wife shares such beliefs and convictions (ideal) or short of this is aware of your attitude to such (and other) matters.
So a frank, in detail discusion early on in the relationship is highly recommended.

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 11:25:07 AM »
Lily is correct here.  There are no rules.  Tremendous variation from person to person, family to family, etc.  I have rather unusual tastes regarding these types of celebrations and haven't run into serious difficulties. 

It is all a package deal when considering partners.  If you are deficient in one area (according to your second half), they may overlook it if you shine in some other category. 

When I come across a woman who is unflexible about this, or anything else for that matter, then I just see it as a sign to move on because she likely won't be able to cope with unforseen things that always crop up in a relationship or in life in general.

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 11:30:04 AM »
If you find the one to match your views you will be fine.

If you don't well then pretend you are a piece of bread and this will be your future...  ;D

"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Icarus

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 01:35:09 AM »
Hi, thanks for the advice.

I appreciate your suggestions, I will definitely do the pre-relationship discussion.

As Im sure youre all aware, people change, and when you factor in a change of country, cultural influence, language etc then what may or may not be agreed upon early on in the r'ship can alter in the future.

I think the most prudent thing to do is to have deep courtship, with a great deal of communication, indepth discussion, not to rush anything and take the necessary time to learn and know about each other.

I know it will be a difficult road, but not an impossible one.

I dont suggest that I will ignore any attention or affection to my bride on the days or events she holds dear, I do have some limitations, but I will not with hold myself from her in stance of my views. If Im a married man, then I have obligations to my bride.

A lot can be said about this, and I think it important to learn myself about the Orthodox religion as it seems to be the mainstream theology in the FSU.

Should be interesting to see the outcomes.

Ick 
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I come to die, to discover that I had not lived.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541778
Total Topics: 20876
Most Online Today: 1437
Most Online Ever: 12701