It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Are you man enough for a RW?  (Read 48085 times)

Offline DKMM

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Are you man enough for a RW?
« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2008, 11:47:02 PM »
Mr. "Smith"
I sense someone has been drinking the Russia propoganda cool-aid again.  In spite of the oil bubble, Russia and Russians are not anywhere close to as rich as Americans.  The Forbes top 30 billionaires has 1 Russian and 13 Americans. 

There are more millionaires in New Jersey than in the entire FSU.  Facts can be verfied with google.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2008, 01:37:43 AM »
Mr. "Smith"
I sense someone has been drinking the Russia propoganda cool-aid again.  In spite of the oil bubble, Russia and Russians are not anywhere close to as rich as Americans.  The Forbes top 30 billionaires has 1 Russian and 13 Americans. 

There are more millionaires in New Jersey than in the entire FSU.  Facts can be verfied with google.

Gawd.. who cares about millionaires or billionaires if you ain't one of them.. If so it is quite unlikely you would be here.

Bottom line, if you have somewhere around 25K under your mattress, a lot of flexible time and/or vacation and willing to part with it seeking a RW then fine.  If you don't it might be best to stay at home.

The FSU guys are doing just fine with or without us. Wealthy or not hey have a 'home court' advantage and can spend a LOT more time than AM ever can playing the field for the very best catches that probably wouldn't even dream of listing themselves on an agency site.  'Pappa Portafoglio' doesn't stand a chance against them in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Gator

« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2008, 06:02:33 AM »

For RW not to know this is incredibly naive. To think that some guy who is spending his way to bankruptcy ... is somehow better than someone who spends with caution, is just simply hard to believe.

RW don't know this because very few have experience with debt.  Until recently Russians purchased their flats with a suitcase of money.   Car loans are also something recent. 

If and when you do get involved with a RW, she may be surprised that you owe money on a mortgage, business loan, etc.  She may think you are unworthy if you have debt.  So your phrase "spending his way to bankruptcy" is not better in their eyes, it is incomprehensible and absurd. 

Most RW will be happy, even if you do not have a lot of money, as long as you are spending more on your family than on yourself.  If you go to the FSU and stay in an expensive hotel and do not bring perfume for her and interesting gifts for her family - you are a greedy man.   If you buy yourself more expensive clothes, you are a greedy man.  If you have a fancy car and buy her a used cheap one, you are a greedy man (assuming she is capable of driving without wrecking it).  If you....etc.

Never forget that you are interacting with a different culture.  In fact, you should not just remember it, you must respect the fact.  These wonderful women are Russian (or Ukrainian or whatever) inside, and some of their ways will take a long time to change.  They will be offended that you do not understand them, or at least respect their differences.

Bob Smith

« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2008, 06:24:58 AM »
Mr. "Smith"

DKMM,

I was being lighthearted in my post.  I just pointed out something interesting.  I took Econ in college.  I know the definition of an oligarch.  Have a little fun on this forum.  Trust me dude if Russians were making anywhere near as much money as we do there would not be a RW market... I learned that in Econ as well.

Maybe my Goolge is broken but here is what I found...

1      Warren Buffett     United States      77      62.0      United States
2    Carlos Slim Helu & family    Mexico    68    60.0    Mexico
3    William Gates III    United States    52    58.0    United States
4    Lakshmi Mittal    India    57    45.0    United Kingdom
5    Mukesh Ambani    India    50    43.0    India
6    Anil Ambani    India    48    42.0    India
7    Ingvar Kamprad & family    Sweden    81    31.0    Switzerland
8    KP Singh    India    76    30.0    India
9    Oleg Deripaska    Russia    40    28.0    Russia
10    Karl Albrecht    Germany    88    27.0    Germany
11    Li Ka-shing    Hong Kong    79    26.5    Hong Kong
12    Sheldon Adelson    United States    74    26.0    United States
13    Bernard Arnault    France    59    25.5    France
14    Lawrence Ellison    United States    63    25.0    United States
15    Roman Abramovich    Russia    41    23.5    Russia
16    Theo Albrecht    Germany    85    23.0    Germany
17    Liliane Bettencourt    France    85    22.9    France
18    Alexei Mordashov    Russia    42    21.2    Russia
19    Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud    Saudi Arabia    51    21.0    Saudi Arabia
20    Mikhail Fridman    Russia    43    20.8    Russia
21    Vladimir Lisin    Russia    51    20.3    Russia
22    Amancio Ortega    Spain    72    20.2    Spain
23    Raymond, Thomas & Walter Kwok    Hong Kong    NA    19.9    Hong Kong
24    Mikhail Prokhorov    Russia    42    19.5    Russia
25    Vladimir Potanin    Russia    47    19.3    Russia

By my count besides holding the top spots on the list (along with Mexico) we got trounced by Russia.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/10/billionaires08_The-Worlds-Billionaires_Rank.html

Offline Misha

« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2008, 06:45:40 AM »
RW don't know this because very few have experience with debt.  Until recently Russians purchased their flats with a suitcase of money.

This has changed quite rapidly. Personal debt in Russia in 2002 amounted to a few billion in 2000 and now is in the hundreds of billions. [I have to go to a dentist's appointment, but I can provide stats later.] Now, Russians get loans for just about everything: homes, cars, appliances, furniture, travel. My sister-in-law, for example, will be getting a loan so she can go on a vacation with her kids this fall. She makes a very most wage and lives in a small Russian city. She will be paying off her loan with a fair chunk of her salary. Russia has had an exponential growth in consumer credit as well as an exponential growth in customers defaulting on loans in the last couple of years.

Offline Misha

« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2008, 06:48:51 AM »
DKMM,

I was being lighthearted in my post.  I just pointed out something interesting.  I took Econ in college.  I know the definition of an oligarch.  Have a little fun on this forum.  Trust me dude if Russians were making anywhere near as much money as we do there would not be a RW market... I learned that in Econ as well.

By my count besides holding the top spots on the list (along with Mexico) we got trounced by Russia.

This is a better indication of the concentration of wealth in the hands of a small proportion of the country's population in Russia's case than the overall wealth of the population.

Offline KenC

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2008, 06:56:39 AM »
I can only give the example of the richest man in the world.

He drives a beat up car and buys his suits at discount stores.

I don't think he has given a rose to anyone ever.

He also plans to give away more than 40 billion dollars to charitable causes.

We all know who he is. His name is Warren Buffett.

There is a book " The millionaire next door " ; people who have made it are very frugal with their money. They are not onstentatious, that is for sure.

For RW not to know this is incredibly naive. To think that some guy who is spending his way to bankruptcy ( and there were two million of them last year alone) is somehow better than someone who spends with caution, is just simply hard to believe. Now these two million people actually filed for bankruptcy; the stats are that 76% of all Americans have a "negative" net worth, that is they owe more than they have. I don't think throwing around roses would be prudent for them.

Small wonder that the failure rate is so high.
ambach,
I am sure there are plenty RW that would appreciate your financial conservatism.  I just hope you are not so cheap that you turn them off from the beginning and never get to know them.  Face the facts that chasing RW is not a financially prudent action from the get go.  And that doesn't even begin to consider the extra expenses you will incur if you should get to the point of marriage and relocation. :hairraising:

I do not want to advocate that you be anything different than you are in your every day regular life, but courting the woman of your dreams is not an everyday occurrence.  Step back and see the whole picture here.  You have maybe only one shot at making a favorable impression on these ladies, don't blow it by being too financially prudent (cheap).
KenC
You are a den of vipers and thieves-Andrew Jackson on banks
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2008, 07:02:39 AM »
Yes, but don't those lists make you feel sorry for poor Bill Gates whose worth has dropped to 1/3 of what it was.  At this rate he will be on the bread lines in another decade or two.

Mr Hunt was one who was famous for driving the same old beat up pickup truck for 30 years.

I recall looking at the list of richest dudes a decade ago and almost no one was on from Russia.  I belive it was like two or three so they have made some amazing gains.  I have a feeling much of it was by hook or crook and mostly the later.

Offline KenC

« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2008, 07:08:45 AM »
Hey guys,
All this conversation about the richest people and their spending habits is all very interesting but  :offtopic:

Might I suggest someone start a different thread to continue your discussion so as not to sde track this thread?
KenC

Offline WmGO

« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2008, 10:09:33 AM »
Good thread, and a lot of good points by KenC, Jet, Gator, I/O
and others. Also agree with one poster's point about not letting the
thread header detract from the main point (the WM does not have
to be some kind of macho man - just a decent, honorable gentlemen
who is capable of being a leader  - from beginning to end).

Another good topic for another thread would be the inverse of
this thread: what kind of FSUW is actually cut out for immigration
and adaptation. In this regard, I am convinced that the majority of
FSUW that make themselves available for contact by WM are simply
not cut out for immigration and adaptation to another country. They
are fooling themselves. They would make very poor candidates for moving
to another country. They would be high risk for failure. Maybe another
thread could be started on this subject for discussion, identifying high risk
type FSUW for adaptation, etc. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:11:05 AM by WmGO »

Offline Blues Fairy

« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2008, 10:27:54 AM »
I am convinced that the majority of
FSUW that make themselves available for contact by WM are simply
not cut out for immigration and adaptation to another country. They
are fooling themselves. They would make very poor candidates for moving
to another country. They would be high risk for failure.

Depends on what they're expected to achieve.  Minding house and kids vs. having to work full-time imply two entirely different sets of requirements.  For the former, being specifically "cut out" for immigration is not such a dire necessity.  For the latter, good language skills, adaptability, and learning capacity would be a must.

Offline Ronnie

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2008, 11:56:56 AM »
Those who fled the USSR's opression, be they Russian, Ukrianian, Pole, Czech, Bulgarian, etc.. may not have been cut out for immigration but they managed to find better lives.  I know older refugee couples  who still barely speak our language, watch RTV most of the time and even travel back to visit old friend and relatives, but always return to the land that welcomed them of which they have become citizens.

WmGO is right in the whole.  Not everyone can easily learn a foreign language.  For some it takes many years just to become minimally proficient. 

Many immigrant wives are simply not made of the right stuff to stick it out.  At the first burst of flak, they bail out. 

Immigration is a test of character most of all.  Being responsible for an immigrant is also a test of character for the WM.  That, more than anything is what makes someone "man enough."
Ronnie
Fourth year now living in Ukraine.  Speak Russian, Will Answer Questions.

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2008, 01:10:29 PM »
  Car loans are also something recent. 

In 1919 all the credit institutions were abolished by the Soviet Government, but in the 1920s the credit system was again  put into bank operation. The Soviet people could buy the consumer goods and also cars  on  short-term or long-term credit. So the Soviets knew what a debt is  :)

(Sorry for interrupting)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:51:01 PM by OlgaH »

Offline groovlstk

« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2008, 01:54:06 PM »
Being responsible for an immigrant is also a test of character for the WM.  That, more than anything is what makes someone "man enough."

Absolutely true. Ken's thread title might be provocative, but dig deeper and being "man enough" is also about having enough patience and confidence to support your fiancee or spouse through the very rough days of her (and your) adjustment following her arrival. It's not easy, not by a longshot, and if you have a quick temper or can't support her emotionally when she's down (and blaming you for all her troubles), you may not be "man enough" to succeed.

Offline Ronnie

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2008, 02:25:01 PM »
It's not easy, not by a longshot, and if you have a quick temper or can't support her emotionally when she's down (and blaming you for all her troubles), you may not be "man enough" to succeed.
Spoken like a true veteran who chose his avatar with considered purpose.
Ronnie
Fourth year now living in Ukraine.  Speak Russian, Will Answer Questions.

Offline sudz

« Reply #190 on: May 21, 2008, 07:15:24 AM »
Sorry Sudz, you got that backazzward.  No one here said that if you don't have a RW you are......... or you must be...........  All that was pointed out is that there are some characteristics that some men have that make them a high risk to be successful in this venture.  Don't hold us accountable for your own insecurities.
Well it aint and never will be so all Ukrainian women are safe.Damn tootin the old married bastards feel good about themselves!  We know exactly how difficult this is and are proud to be in the select few that succeeded.  If our confidence and sense of accomplishment intimidates you, too bad.

You are part of the American problem of "entitlement."  You and others think that everyone is entitled to the same opportunities.  Well, I got a news flash for you, it ain't ever gonna happen dude.  There is always going to be someone smarter, richer, better looking and more charming that will have the opportunities you don't.  And that goes for me too.  I am so sick and tired of the American expectation of being coddled through life and when things don't go your way, the incessant whining begins.  You once described your self as having "of character only envied by overcooked green beans" and wisely proclaimed "I prefer a quiet, peaceful solitary existence."  It is a good thing because a guy like you would be eaten alive in the fsu.  That is of course if you ever found your balls to actually go.  It is far easier to sit in your Barcalounger and criticize those that went, conquered and now enjoy the fruits of their success.
KenC

LOL - did I hit a nerve, Kennie?  That barrage sure covered alot of territory, but since you don't know me I can understand why the attack was so wide.

As to being "man enough" I suppose all I'd have to do is put on 100 pounds, wait 10 years, save my cash till I'm rich, practice shouting at boisterous teenagers, visit the FSU when it's in financial crisis, and, last but not least, obtain the ability to unquestionably believe every compliment thrown my way.

Let the circle jerk continue.  And, btw, you might want to give your wives some small amount of credit for the success of your endeavor.

Offline KenC

« Reply #191 on: May 21, 2008, 07:30:50 AM »
LOL - did I hit a nerve, Kennie? 

Not really.  I just grow tired of the "know nothings" and "do nothings" thinking their opinion matters.
KenC

Offline sudz

« Reply #192 on: May 21, 2008, 07:34:26 AM »
Not really.  I just grow tired of the "know nothings" and "do nothings" thinking their opinion matters.
KenC
If that's true why did you start this thread?

Offline groovlstk

« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2008, 07:37:59 AM »
As to being "man enough" I suppose all I'd have to do is put on 100 pounds, wait 10 years, save my cash till I'm rich, practice shouting at boisterous teenagers, visit the FSU when it's in financial crisis, and, last but not least, obtain the ability to unquestionably believe every compliment thrown my way.

Sudz, I missed this part of the protocal! Where can I find some teens to berate?  ;)

Let the circle jerk continue.  And, btw, you might want to give your wives some small amount of credit for the success of your endeavor.

Not an hour goes that I don't think about the challenges my wife faced and continues to face, and I swell with pride at her strength and courage. These thoughts are always followed by a feeling of awe that she fell in love with a bum like me.  Peace :)

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2008, 08:00:12 AM »
Groov

May I be so bold as to point out that you are far far from being a bum. I can appreciate the humble pie here, but you are a hard working man, who had gone through hell and back to find Polina, who has shown patience beyond belief, supported your wife through all her trials and tribulations here, helped her design a web site site and find a job she likes that promotes her goals in designing, assisted her in every way possible, shown respect and understanding, provided for her and now living in a nice home of your own.

You may feel awe that she feel in love with you, but maybe SHE feels awe that she is married a man like you. Don't sell yourself short. You ARE man enough for a RW and proved it.  ( that will be $5 dollars please. ) ;D
Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline KenC

« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2008, 08:06:04 AM »
If that's true why did you start this thread?
To try and help guys be as successful as I have been.  Sudz, you can sit there and take all the pot shots you want at me, but you will still be sitting alone and I will not.  The best you can come up with is that others have some advantage over you and that is why they succeed and you do not.  The sad truth of the matter is that all you have to share here is your own negativity.

And, yes, the "circle jerk" will continue as my hat is off to every guy that had the stones to actually go to Russia to check things out.  Even if they did not succeed in finding a woman, they at least tried.  You don't even have enough motivation to even try.  You better turn off your computer as I think "The View" is starting.  Have a nice life, but I seriously doubt it.
KenC

Offline KenC

« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2008, 08:29:51 AM »
Groov

May I be so bold as to point out that you are far far from being a bum. I can appreciate the humble pie here, but you are a hard working man, who had gone through hell and back to find Polina, who has shown patience beyond belief, supported your wife through all her trials and tribulations here, helped her design a web site site and find a job she likes that promotes her goals in designing, assisted her in every way possible, shown respect and understanding, provided for her and now living in a nice home of your own.

You may feel awe that she feel in love with you, but maybe SHE feels awe that she is married a man like you. Don't sell yourself short. You ARE man enough for a RW and proved it.  ( that will be $5 dollars please. ) ;D
Viking,
What a nice and honest post.

In a effort to keep the "circle jerk" going, I would like to point out that every guy here that has made a trip or two to the fsu deserves major kudos too.  Like you too Viking.  How easy could it be to sit on your azz and say that others are lucky or rich or ...... to explain away all your efforts without any lady by your side yet?  You Sir have the tenacity to continue to try.  :applaud:  And you follow a long list of men here at RWD that never gave up hope.  Guys like Groov, Bruce, Son of Clyde and the Hall of Famer for sheer tenacity Turboguy!  My efforts in this venture pale in comparason to what these men went through.  There was a lot of stumbling and bumbling along the way, but these men stuck with it until they found their match.  And that my friends is why I am here and start threads like this one.  To maybe eliminate some of the stumbling and bumbling in an effort to make the chosen path of these good men a little easier.

When some here throw stones and accuse me of promoting a clique or a club like atmosphere, they are right.  The guys that tried, keep trying or have already succeeded deserve all the accolades I can give them.  It is not surprising that it is usually the ones on the outside looking in that throw the stones.  :wallbash:
KenC

Offline myrddin

• Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2008, 08:41:17 AM »
I've noticed some people seem to like to argue with KenC, but I have to say that he's started some of the most active, interesting and (to me) valuable threads on this board.  He was also the first member to directly PM me when I joined, with nothing but encouragement and advice.

I assume his gruff exterior is due to growing up a Lions fan  :P
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Offline KenC

« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2008, 08:48:04 AM »
I've noticed some people seem to like to argue with KenC, but I have to say that he's started some of the most active, interesting and (to me) valuable threads on this board.  He was also the first member to directly PM me when I joined, with nothing but encouragement and advice.

I assume his gruff exterior is due to growing up a Lions fan  :P
Thanks Myrddin,
I actually laughed out loud on your Lions comment!  (But I did get to watch Barry Sanders every Sunday back in the day)
KenC

Offline HiTech

« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2008, 09:11:25 AM »
Viking,
What a nice and honest post.

In a effort to keep the "circle jerk" going, I would like to point out that every guy here that has made a trip or two to the fsu deserves major kudos too.  Like you too Viking.  How easy could it be to sit on your azz and say that others are lucky or rich or ...... to explain away all your efforts without any lady by your side yet?  You Sir have the tenacity to continue to try.  Applaud  And you follow a long list of men here at RWD that never gave up hope.  Guys like Groov, Bruce, Son of Clyde and the Hall of Famer for sheer tenacity Turboguy!  My efforts in this venture pale in comparison to what these men went through.  There was a lot of stumbling and bumbling along the way, but these men stuck with it until they found their match.  And that my friends is why I am here and start threads like this one.  To maybe eliminate some of the stumbling and bumbling in an effort to make the chosen path of these good men a little easier.

When some here throw stones and accuse me of promoting a clique or a club like atmosphere, they are right.  The guys that tried, keep trying or have already succeeded deserve all the accolades I can give them.  It is not surprising that it is usually the ones on the outside looking in that throw the stones.  Wall Bash
KenC

What a load of crock. Just so I truly understand this post, we (men who searched in the FSU) are supposedly better than 99.9 % of the men in America, because we choose to search for a wife in the FSU? We deserve congratulation because we went on a search?

I must say, this is the most Egotistical, and arrogant post I have ever seen you post ken.

Quote from: vwrw on May 17, 2008, 12:06:47 PM
In my opinion, this thread is an attempt to reinforce the claim, that only strong, smart, stunning and charming men may woo heart of FSUwomen; to reinforce it independently from validity of the claim and to make the claim to be a strong belief through repeated assertion.
In a consequence use the fabricated belief as a confirmation that married RWD’s members are superior ones.
Sorry that you have such a negative outlook on the motivation behind this thread.  You could not be futher from the truth however.  As I already stated:
Quote from: KenC on May 17, 2008, 09:30:37 AM

I see threads like this as more of a service to those who might have difficulty in this process (like the recent thread regarding blacks)  What is so wrong with giving these men a "heads up" to what they may be up against in the fsu?  Why shouldn't we warn them?  I think that is much more humanitarian than to just lie and say everyone has an equal chance.  If they then want to buck the odds, then so be it.  But they should be warned that the odds are stacked against them.
KenC

When some here throw stones and accuse me of promoting a clique or a club like atmosphere, they are right.  The guys that tried, keep trying or have already succeeded deserve all the accolades I can give them.

So now ken what is it, you are trying to make a clique , or are you trying to help other? Because clique want to keep other out. And they try keep others out to make themselves feel superior, exactly as you did in this post.

Are you man enough for a RW?

As VWRW pointed out so early on, this topic of yours, You are trying to make an even smaller clique, and hence wanted it to be viewed as superior of men married to FSUW.

And as a preemptive strike, I fully expect ken to try use an Argumentum ad hominem to try change the view of why he made this thread.

HiTech

If you like aviation check out http://www.flyaceshigh.com

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541779
Total Topics: 20876