It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Russia is at it again!  (Read 130157 times)

Offline Misha

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Russia is at it again!
« Reply #950 on: September 09, 2008, 09:34:18 AM »
Russia should turn there gas off again this year to show Ukraine who really is boss. 

Well, until Russia finishes building new pipelines, shutting off gas to Ukraine means shutting of gas to much of Europe. If Russia does that, it loses whatever credibility it has left. It would also encourage Europe to build new nuclear power plants to reduce its dependency on Russian resources, as well as looking for ways of  cutting back on Russian imports of natural gas.

Offline kievstar

« Reply #951 on: September 09, 2008, 10:13:03 AM »
Credit crisis will not be solved with the government helping out.  Best way is for people to lose there house and have to rent from slum lords.  anybody can get a 6% loan for 30 years in USA - how stupid are people not to be able to pay this.  shame on companies giving loans to people not qualified.  But government handouts will not solve the root cause.  Meaning people over spent.

I was joking on gas being turned off.  But they did do it not so long ago. When Russia wants Ukraine or if they want pieces they will take it, EU and NATO will not do anything about it.  USA will have to back off too.  Germany, France, and Italy will decide how much power Russia will have. 

Western Europe has a fundamental problem.  People are paid to much compared to rest of world and output is low.  USA has dealt with this by working more hours and cutting benefits but it came at a cost (middle class poorer now). Western Europe will have to do this as well.  Euro has been strengthened by eastern Europe but costs are rising there now.  Population in Europe is decreasing and getting older another problem for a highly benefit paid area. 

Inflation may not go away as Asia and Mideast are growing.Global recession is needed.  Not good when the entire world is booming for richer countries.  Eventually the world gets flat unless you invent new things to keep your country more competitive.   

This is just my point of view.  I could argue other views as well.  More than one right answer like most things in life. 

I will say Russia is back and kind of like it.  Will make USA work harder and smarter.  Always need a good competitor.

Offline Makkin

• Opted-Out
« Reply #952 on: September 09, 2008, 12:24:50 PM »

We could all make good and bad cases for economies but actually it gets down to governments and how fast they move to correct problems as they do indeed print the money.
   Fannie and fred will not fix anything with the government involved except that the money will be backed up. The losses will come when the shares are taken away and all those who own shares will realize that the government is not part of the stock market per say.
   Energy is the key to everything and no two ways about it. Until western europe and NorthA decide to go full speed with energy independence then the games will continue.

The arabs bought into the corn products a year or so ago and cornered the market on the futures area. That new area where the usa increased corn growth from 11 million acres to 17 million to cover the by-products fuels. The arabs bought up all the commodities and thus hurt the third world and raised the price of corn. When the arabs need food they must spend oil because they cannot feed that area without oil. If and when we in the west decide to take our energy needs in our own hands then we will have the arabs eating out of ours.

Makkin
FUBAR

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #953 on: September 09, 2008, 02:00:33 PM »
Credit crisis will not be solved with the government helping out.  Best way is for people to lose there house and have to rent from slum lords.  anybody can get a 6% loan for 30 years in USA - how stupid are people not to be able to pay this.  shame on companies giving loans to people not qualified.  But government handouts will not solve the root cause.  Meaning people over spent.

The people were enticed to overspend, not only by banks but the government itself that was pushing home ownership in order to prop up the construction industry.  When big gov bails out big biz, it reminds me that there is very little difference between both.

I was joking on gas being turned off.  But they did do it not so long ago. When Russia wants Ukraine or if they want pieces they will take it, EU and NATO will not do anything about it.  USA will have to back off too.  Germany, France, and Italy will decide how much power Russia will have. 

As I understand it, they 'fed' enough gas to Europe, but could not stop Ukraine from taking whatever they needed.  Yes, it's a supply/demand environment.

Western Europe has a fundamental problem.  People are paid to much compared to rest of world and output is low.  USA has dealt with this by working more hours and cutting benefits but it came at a cost (middle class poorer now). Western Europe will have to do this as well.  Euro has been strengthened by eastern Europe but costs are rising there now.  Population in Europe is decreasing and getting older another problem for a highly benefit paid area.

What's wrong with 30 days paid vacation? What's wrong with giving parents the chance to live without working their knuckles to the bone just to make ends meet.  In the end it's the kids that profit.

'Forcing' EU to compete with the US in terms of productivity is a two edged sword.. Do I want to have to hire a 'nanny' to raise my kids? - no thanks and economy be damned.

As I see it, there are those that profit and those that slave in a business only environment.

Just a matter of priorities..

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #954 on: September 09, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
"Is this the best America can do?" a comment from an unknown marine!

I agree with him!

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #955 on: September 09, 2008, 03:03:09 PM »
I was watching a Swedish discussion about the situation in Russia. There were a report of some mariens in afhatinstan, the best of the US military system, and they just said "Is this the best that the US can do?" So what about Iraq, is it time to leave the country, or can the US even do that?

Offline Misha

« Reply #956 on: September 09, 2008, 03:07:30 PM »
The people were enticed to overspend, not only by banks but the government itself that was pushing home ownership in order to prop up the construction industry. 

Well, let us not forget the bubble psychology: people buy because they think now or never and hope for a quick profit. The United States is not alone in this. One UK government official was predicting that house prices will drop by 25% or so in the next couple of years, and Spain is being hit quite hard by falling prices. The BBC has a nice video Spain's housing market meltdown showing the fate of one housing development that is now sitting largely empty.

Offline Misha

« Reply #957 on: September 09, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »
On another topic, the Russian News and Information Agency has an interesting opinion piece examining the state of the Russian army. This analysis, Russian Army's weaknesses exposed during war in Georgia, provides a nice summary of some of the problems that were highlighted in the recent war with Georgia. An excerpt:

"Russian officers and soldiers have to compensate for the current lag in combat-support systems with their selfless heroism and bravery. But this costs the country and its armed forces dearly.

It is high time we learned modern fighting skills. The system for awarding state defense contracts must also be modified accordingly.

Unfortunately, the Russian Army is unlikely to receive new weapons and combat-support systems after the South Ossetian conflict. Although Russia has once again paid a high price for victory, its generals and politicians often prefer empty talk to candid and sober-minded assessments."

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #958 on: September 09, 2008, 03:17:46 PM »
So when will the worst president in the US history take the stand? Maybe he should be tried by "crime against humanity" I at least think Bush and rumsfelt should be tried by an a an impartial Court of international law!

Offline groovlstk

« Reply #959 on: September 09, 2008, 04:41:29 PM »
"Russian officers and soldiers have to compensate for the current lag in combat-support systems with their selfless heroism and bravery. But this costs the country and its armed forces dearly.

Notwithstanding that this is a Russian publication, if history is any guide I doubt the Russian people and especially its government care much about a few casualties during what was essentially a route and a huge boost to their confidence.

Offline Misha

« Reply #960 on: September 09, 2008, 05:30:44 PM »
Notwithstanding that this is a Russian publication, if history is any guide I doubt the Russian people and especially its government care much about a few casualties during what was essentially a route and a huge boost to their confidence.

Yes, but as I noted elsewhere, others were certainly watching and judging Russian capabilities.

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #961 on: September 09, 2008, 06:16:48 PM »
Seems things haven't changed much in the past 25+ years since Viktor Suvorov published his Inside The Soviet Army in 1982 (http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?ind=reviews&op=entry_view&iden=48) ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline wxman

« Reply #962 on: September 10, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." – Benjamin Franklin -

Offline Mishenka

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #963 on: September 10, 2008, 08:53:58 PM »
Interesting view from a Russian opposition leader.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-fg-kasyanov10-2008sep10,0,4264638.story

I have to agree with his article, he backs up some of what I posted earlier.
Now today, Russia sent 2 Bombers to Venezuela, just as they promised. Soon the war ship Peter the Great will float into port. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080911/ap_on_re_eu/russia_venezuela_bombers
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/09/10/russia.venezuela/index.html

I find it interesting that Europe is now buying more oil from Libya and Qaddafi is offering deals on his huge reserve to USA and Europe. At 3 million barrels a day production Putin has something new to worry about, loosing customers.  Once the oil barges start across the Mediterranean in large numbers, the flow of oil from Russia to EU will be slow if not stop all together.  Oh well, its good to see a viable alternative for Europe to buy cheaper oil. More US investors dollars are flowing into Libya now as they upgrade their refineries. US handles about  750 thousand barrels a day from the storage tanks.

http://search.cnn.com/search?type=video&sortBy=date&intl=false&query=libya&x=15&y=1

Offline kievstar

« Reply #964 on: September 10, 2008, 11:57:34 PM »
BC, I am not talking about Western Europe and USA competing.  Western Europe is competing with India, China, Middle East now also.  Wages are lower in Asia and people here are now getting highly educated.  So something has to change in Europe.  Either work more efficiently or take the pay cut. 

Euro got too strong and most companies have not been investing in Western Europe for 3 plus years.  Takes a long time for a country to get competitive again once you get behind.  Even here in Brussels where I am today housing is dropping fast and in Ukraine apartments  I was going to buy brand new a couple of months ago are down 30% plus (Europeans were mainly buying these apartments too when high).  Housing is going to be a global drop in richer countries and over priced cities like Kiev where foreigners own most of the expensive apartments.

Personally I take 30 plus days vacation a year, never have my girlfriend or wife work.  But I always try to stay ahead of the World.  Not hard to do this but starts with you work for a company and a company does not work for you and you better be competitive against that poor kid who wants what you have.

Problem is a lot of people in this world do not care about family.  When that happens it drives prices up and family orientated people suffer.  Western Europe has tried to protect for awhile but now it is too tough.

Diver boy, you do not like Bush to much - not sure anybody does but he keeps USA safe.  Regarding USA military.  Hard to fight people who dress like civilians.  When you do, you kill children.  Like Russia, USA always looks impressive in first 30 days of war.  Than when the enemy hides behind civilians it gets tough. 

Government and banks did not make people buy stuff they cannot afford like houses.  People need to suffer for being stupid with money.  That is how you learn.  Great Depression for the world maybe the best learning experience for the younger and older generations.  The Buy generations have to stop.

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #965 on: September 11, 2008, 12:56:58 AM »
Worst president ever?  You're too young to make that judgment, diverboy.  I was in high school when our vice president arranged the brutal murder of our president so he could assume his job. 

Now that qualifies as the worst president in my book.[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79lOKs0Kr_Y[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-L5xYwb2ls&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlpL7qZxPhA&feature=related[/youtube]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:03:52 AM by Ronnie »
Ronnie
Fourth year now living in Ukraine.  Speak Russian, Will Answer Questions.

Offline msmoby_ru

« Reply #966 on: September 11, 2008, 03:59:23 AM »
Worst president ever?  You're too young to make that judgment, diverboy.  I was in high school when our vice president arranged the brutal murder of our president so he could assume his job. 

Now that qualifies as the worst president in my book

Wow, onnie.. this is DEF off topic.. and could be  athread that would run for another 50 years.. ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:33:21 AM by msmoby_ru »

Offline BC

« Reply #967 on: September 11, 2008, 04:04:33 AM »
Wow, onnie.. this is DEF off topic.. and could be  athread that would run for another 50 years.. ;)

Yeah, Ronnie does seem to like conspiracy theories.

Offline wxman

« Reply #968 on: September 11, 2008, 08:03:57 AM »
I did it. I was only 4, but I did it. I was on the grassy knoll. Captain Kangaroo and Mr Green Jeans trained me.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." – Benjamin Franklin -

Offline Ronnie

« Reply #969 on: September 11, 2008, 03:09:58 PM »
I was trying to drive home the point that LBJ was far and away the most evil American leader of my time and probably of all time. 
Ronnie
Fourth year now living in Ukraine.  Speak Russian, Will Answer Questions.

Offline wxman

« Reply #970 on: September 11, 2008, 03:35:44 PM »
In my mind the most evil of all officials to have ever been in the US government had to be J Edgar Hoover. This guy put himself above the law, threatened presidents, civil rights leaders, and anointed himself the moral compass of the US. He falsely imprisoned many, and without a doubt, probably ordered the disappearance of hundreds. LBJ may have been evil, but ol Hoover was likely pulling his nose ring. Hoover was the most psychotic demagogue in US history.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #971 on: October 06, 2008, 02:06:30 PM »
In my mind the most evil of all officials to have ever been in the US government had to be J Edgar Hoover. This guy put himself above the law, threatened presidents, civil rights leaders, and anointed himself the moral compass of the US. He falsely imprisoned many, and without a doubt, probably ordered the disappearance of hundreds. LBJ may have been evil, but ol Hoover was likely pulling his nose ring. Hoover was the most psychotic demagogue in US history.

J Edgar was a criminal...should have been #1 on his own FBI 10 most wanted list.
Anybody ever seen evidence that he cried over the demise of JFK...RFK?
I could elaborate but thats another topic 8)
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline BillyB

« Reply #972 on: October 06, 2008, 03:13:02 PM »

Diver boy, you do not like Bush to much - not sure anybody does but he keeps USA safe.  Regarding USA military.  Hard to fight people who dress like civilians.  When you do, you kill children.  Like Russia, USA always looks impressive in first 30 days of war.  Than when the enemy hides behind civilians it gets tough. 

The USA-terrorists situation reminds me somewhat of this photo. Unfortunately many people are sympathetic to those who choose to hide behind civilians.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541779
Total Topics: 20876
Most Online Today: 1583
Most Online Ever: 12701