It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Protesters in Ukraine remind us of the priceless benefits of being EU members  (Read 233354 times)

Offline cc3

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident

I'll add one more thing. A Boeing 777 airplane can travel across and ocean and with extra fuel tanks, it can travel easily half way across the world. Question; Is Americas West Coast or East Coast closest to Iran? I'm sure some Iranian nut job has already figured out it's best to deliver an Iranian nuke in an American made plane since their missiles aren't capable yet.
As a former fighter-interceptor pilot and a B-777 captain, I would like to inform everyone that, with the US' heightened air security awareness and attendant increased alert interceptor status nationwide, any improperly identified or unidentified civil aircraft, airliner or not, penetrating oceanic or border ADIZ's would be visually ID'd and most likely blown out of the sky.

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Easy for you to say, but my fiancee lives in one of those border cities. It's not a minor threat to hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of innocent Ukrainian citizens. Putin's modern day employment of Hitlerian fascist aggressive strategies needs to be more universally condemned by what, in the 21st century, is becoming a shrinking and atrophying 'Free World'.

Yes it isn't hard for me to say.  I, like 99.8% of our population don't have a fiancee in those regions.  Thankfully our 'representatives' also don't have fiancee's there either. I'd say it is best for the decision makers to not have such an emotional stake, since the decisions they make will impact us all. 

Obviously the situation is not good, and I wish you and your spouse good fortune, but as for our national policy, I don't think we should do much of anything.   I believe we HELPED create this situation, by interfering and fomenting, among other things. 

Fathertime!
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline pokerintherear

• Trips: None (yet)
I voiced my opinion many times. Any revolution is bad. Any destroying of stability is bad. People who think revolutions bring freedom should learn a bit more about history.

I can think of one revolution which created the USA.  So, yes please learn more about history.

Offline Ranetka

• Back to Earth from Cloud Nine
I can think of one revolution which created the USA.  So, yes please learn more about history.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:23:00 PM by Ranetka »
There are shortcuts to happiness and dancing is one of them.

I do resent the fact that most people never question or think for themselves. I don't want to be normal. I just want to find some other people that are odd in the same ways that I am. OP.

Offline fathertime

FT, politically I am a libertarian with strong isolationist beliefs. So were are not far apart on the issue that the U.S. should mind our own business. I understand minding our own business comes with many pro's and con's. I've never subscribed that we need to spread democracy or overthrow dictatorships or any other forms of government. IMHO, democracy doesn't work everywhere and certainly requires it to be earned to be appreciated. IMHO, our involvement anywhere else on the globe should be limited to humanitarian aid and comfort.

Russia in Ukraine wasn't an annexation, it was an invasion. At least call it what it was

Hey FP!

I can tell our philosophies aren't far apart. 

I agree that it was more of an invasion than anything else...It appears to me that most of the people there are not upset by it.  It is a unique quirk of history this little region.  Russia has some legitimate ties there and given the west's broken promises and meddling they decided to take it. As a somewhat detached American, I can accept that as 'fair enough' and move on.   Not our battle. 

Fathertime! 

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
I voiced my opinion many times. Any revolution is bad. Any destroying of stability is bad. People who think revolutions bring freedom should learn a bit more about history.

To elaborate on poker's thoughts. 

Mostly correct Ranetka.  Usually in revolutions bad guys are eliminated.  The typical problem is that those who removed the bad guys then become bad.  They don't listen to the ordinary people who helped them,

The leaders of America's revolution did not enrich themselves by taking positions of power.  Instead they guaranteed rights of the ordinary citizen, created a democratically elected  government,  and incorporated institutional checks and balances.  "The American shift to liberal republicanism, and the gradually increasing democracy, caused an upheaval of traditional social hierarchy and gave birth to the ethic that has formed a core of political values in the United States."

Understand that, and you begin to understand the proud American patriot.  Our problem is that we admire our political ethic so much that we believe other peoples should have the same, even removing other peoples' tyrants. 

Offline GQBlues

As a former fighter-interceptor pilot and a B-777 captain, I would like to inform everyone that, with the US' heightened air security awareness and attendant increased alert interceptor status nationwide, any improperly identified or unidentified civil aircraft, airliner or not, penetrating oceanic or border ADIZ's would be visually ID'd and most likely blown out of the sky.

Sure, and since those flying security F-16s are generally flying within US airspace, it isn't hard to imagine what damage can a blown jetliner full of radioactive material now riding through the eastbound jetstream do to many of the contiguous states. 12 nautical miles is nothing you know.

I would like to believe regardless of how insignificant it may seem to some, better to err in the side of caution, I always say...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:59:28 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline JayH

Hey FP!

I can tell our philosophies aren't far apart. 

I agree that it was more of an invasion than anything else...It appears to me that most of the people there are not upset by it.  It is a unique quirk of history this little region.  Russia has some legitimate ties there and given the west's broken promises and meddling they decided to take it. As a somewhat detached American, I can accept that as 'fair enough' and move on.   Not our battle. 

Fathertime!
You really have this all wrong(still)-- seeing a few celebrating is not reflective of the population as a whole. Russia is pumping propaganda to drown out  others.Do you think it is possible to demonstrate disapproval  on the Crimea? Get real.
Ukrainians as a whole feel that they have been stabbed in the back by Russia .
Ukraine has tried to de escalate at every stage-- not to take the provocation to give Putin the excuse to invade further-maybe of all of Ukraine-- so do not misread the lack of shooting as acquiescing---it  is not the case.
There was no LEGITIMATE reason to invade Ukraine-- it was and is Ukrainian sovereign territory .

What the west has done-what perceived grievances Russia has-- has zero to do with any of this./
The US is not responsible for what in fact was a peoples uprising to rid the country of corruption-in summary it is as pure as that. Nor is the EU responsible for it-- Russian alllegations about that are as ridiculous as the ongoing attempts to paint Kiev as a Nazi cauldron.

The overall facts are these-- Ukraine is a country trying to be a good world citizen-to try and give a better life to its people- we should all be applauding that and doing what we can to help. It is not the time to retreat into our burroughs and say 'it's not my problem"-- ignore Putins craziness now will only lead to much larger problems later.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline fathertime

You really have this all wrong(still)-- seeing a few celebrating is not reflective of the population as a whole. Russia is pumping propaganda to drown out  others.Do you think it is possible to demonstrate disapproval  on the Crimea? Get real.
Ukrainians as a whole feel that they have been stabbed in the back by Russia .
Ukraine has tried to de escalate at every stage-- not to take the provocation to give Putin the excuse to invade further-maybe of all of Ukraine-- so do not misread the lack of shooting as acquiescing---it  is not the case.
There was no LEGITIMATE reason to invade Ukraine-- it was and is Ukrainian sovereign territory .

What the west has done-what perceived grievances Russia has-- has zero to do with any of this./
The US is not responsible for what in fact was a peoples uprising to rid the country of corruption-in summary it is as pure as that. Nor is the EU responsible for it-- Russian allegations about that are as ridiculous as the ongoing attempts to paint Kiev as a Nazi cauldron.

The overall facts are these-- Ukraine is a country trying to be a good world citizen-to try and give a better life to its people- we should all be applauding that and doing what we can to help. It is not the time to retreat into our burroughs and say 'it's not my problem"-- ignore Putins craziness now will only lead to much larger problems later.

Thank you Jay for supplying your opinions on the matters.

I'd say of course Ukraine would like to deescalate.   A lot of what you have said is very debatable.  Even CNN is now stating that it does appear that the majority of Crimeans are supportive of what has happened.   They even put up a recent video of a Russian businessman getting physically assaulted by the Ukrainians...I only caught it half way through but it was a disgraceful embarrassment for a govt that is as you say ' only trying to give a better life to it's people'  It just looks like a different set of tyrants.

I don't believe this is 'putin craziness' and I don't believe it is our problem to contend with.  Perhaps the day we (the USA) stops behaving aggressively and 'asserting' ourselves around the world, will be the day Russia won't feel compelled to do the same.  We are using different methods because we have more resources and allies, but it is to the same end. 

Be all that as it may, I enjoy a discussion when it involves a genuine exchange of opinions and interpretations of events...without unnecessary labels or pejoratives.   

Fathertime!   

Offline jone

FT,

I have one objection to your line of thought, although we are very close.  The whole idea for the end of the Cold War was that we could get more out of cooperation than we could out of opposing each other.  Every country has their interests.  They should be expected to protect their interests.

But the greater good of the world is served when people rise above the regional interests and join the global economy.  Most of Europe had thought that Russia had done so.  I thought that Russia had done so.  I have traveled through Russia and seen that the middle class is indeed arriving.

Now, in one month, in what I firmly believe was an unplanned operation, Putin has taken Russia out of the global economy and set the world back two decades.

And the shitte thing about the whole situation is that he had it within his grasp to have his cake and eat it too.  He controls Ukraine through the pipeline, through the shared border and through the economic advantage that he has.  In a period of three or four years, it would have been as before, only better.

But he got his crank stepped on and decided to be a gunslinger.  Now like a kid telling a lie in class, he has no choice but to bluff his way out.  And the world is watching.  And no one believes him.  So the only thing he can do is be naughtier.  Mark my words.  He will invade Eastern Ukraine.  He has no choice.

For those who are worried about Crimea?  Why worry.  It is the boobie prize.  No one is going to be happy owning it now.  It will be a place of strife and will be sealed off from the rest of Ukraine.  It is the South Ossetia of the Black Sea.  Lucky they have some good harbors there, because that is the only way that Russia is going to be able to resupply it.

And when Russia invades Ukraine, those Ukrainian tanks are going to respond.  And the world will watch with horror for the first two weeks, this plucky little country responding to aggression.  And then they will back her with arms and soldiers.  And Russia will now have stepped on their own crank and Putin will have less than two years left in power before the people, again, rise up in revolt. 

That is why the United States should keep their nose out of the affair.  Putin is doing plenty well sealing his own fate without us.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline missAmeno

• Trips: No Selection
I don't believe this is 'putin craziness' ...

Yep, everyone in Crimea owns a rifles, guns, military clothing, military vehicles.
You just name it - they have it all.

Offline BillyB

I'm glad you're reporting this cc3, especially since I live on the West Coast. If Iran knows this information, they'll pick an easier target which most likely be in Europe or Israel which is unfortunate for someone else.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline fathertime

Yep, everyone in Crimea owns a rifles, guns, military clothing, military vehicles.
You just name it - they have it all.

This is a strange comment.  Of what importance is this, as it pertains to 'putin's craziness'?

Thanks,
Fathertime!   

Offline southernX

FT

it is my very firm belief that most people in crimea have not had the complete freedom to express their true desire in this situation ,

faced with so many soldiers  on their land with arms etc  it is hard possibly for you to be able to judge how crimea was before the russian troops invaded the place
for those of us who have been there , it is a tragedy ,

check out how much south ossetia has stagnated  under russia in the last few years, this will be the new crimea,

the lives of crimeans now will be much worse off ,

some may be thrilled at present , but id wager that will change for the worse in the near future

SX
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:17:48 PM by southernX »
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline lonedrake

• Trips: No Selection
This is a strange comment.  Of what importance is this, as it pertains to 'putin's craziness'?

She was just using sarcasm.

Offline cc3

Sure, and since those flying security F-16s are generally flying within US airspace, it isn't hard to imagine what damage can a blown jetliner full of radioactive material now riding through the eastbound jetstream do to many of the contiguous states. 12 nautical miles is nothing you know.

I would like to believe regardless of how insignificant it may seem to some, better to err in the side of caution, I always say...

Non-military experienced people should avoid commenting on a military area, as specific and detailed, and mostly unknown to laymen, as the air defense of the US. Your inadvertent ignorance of the subject is painful to observe, especially when I realize 95% of my fellow citizens are probably even more ignorant of the subject than you...through no fault of their own. ADIZ's (Air Defense Identification Zones) extend hundreds of miles from our borders. They are not confined to maritime 12 nautical mile limits. The intercepts are made over the horizon, the fighters vectored, at times, to supersonic speeds to achieve the visual ID as far from US territorial airspace as possible. If the visual ID reveals a threat specific target, it will be re-termed a 'bandit' and ordered destroyed. Polluting the jetstream over the Atlantic would not pose a problem for the US, as the jetstream prevalent wind direction there is west to east. Obviously, destroying the bandit  over the Pacific would be problematic if it was somehow rigged to release contaminants in the atmosphere upon exploding from anti-aircraft missile warhead activation. However, no aircraft has the range to fly from Iran or Pakistan straight westward across the Pacific to the US, certainly not a 777-200, which is the model that I flew.

I don't know what you mean by the term "security F-16's", but national air defense is conducted by the Air National Guard, the Air Force, the Navy, and last, but not least, the Marines. These services operate F-15's, F-16's, F-18's, and F-22's. Usually alert interceptors are not airborne, but sit on so-called 'hotpads' at the end of a runway, with an alert pilot readiness building next to the aircraft, where the pilots are typically on a 5 minute status from the launch signal to airborne. When the launch signal goes off, the flight of two interceptors will be airborne within 5 minutes, deploying to combat spread formation and receiving their intercept vector and bogey (unknown target) 'dope' (info) from GCI (ground control intercept radar operators, as opposed to ATC-air traffic control). The goal of the interceptors is to fly to and close with the bogey, usually from his rear quarter, to visually ID the aircraft, its type and operating agency...company, airline, etc., and to do this as far outside US airspace as possible. In air navigation, approaching American airspace, there are very strict rules about entering ADIZ's and so-called Warning Areas. Any non-adherence to these rules can trigger a fighter intercept.

Offline GQBlues

Non-military experienced people should avoid commenting on a military area, as specific and detailed, and mostly unknown to laymen, as the air defense of the US. Your inadvertent ignorance of the subject is painful to observe, especially when I realize 95% of my fellow citizens are probably even more ignorant of the subject than you...through no fault of their own. ADIZ's (Air Defense Identification Zones) extend hundreds of miles from our borders. They are not confined to maritime 12 nautical mile limits. The intercepts are made over the horizon, the fighters vectored, at times, to supersonic speeds to achieve the visual ID as far from US territorial airspace as possible. If the visual ID reveals a threat specific target, it will be re-termed a 'bandit' and ordered destroyed. Polluting the jetstream over the Atlantic would not pose a problem for the US, as the jetstream prevalent wind direction there is west to east. Obviously, destroying the bandit  over the Pacific would be problematic if it was somehow rigged to release contaminants in the atmosphere upon exploding from anti-aircraft missile warhead activation. However, no aircraft has the range to fly from Iran or Pakistan straight westward across the Pacific to the US, certainly not a 777-200, which is the model that I flew.

I don't know what you mean by the term "security F-16's", but national air defense is conducted by the Air National Guard, the Air Force, the Navy, and last, but not least, the Marines. These services operate F-15's, F-16's, F-18's, and F-22's. Usually alert interceptors are not airborne, but sit on so-called 'hotpads' at the end of a runway, with an alert pilot readiness building next to the aircraft, where the pilots are typically on a 5 minute status from the launch signal to airborne. When the launch signal goes off, the flight of two interceptors will be airborne within 5 minutes, deploying to combat spread formation and receiving their intercept vector and bogey (unknown target) 'dope' (info) from GCI (ground control intercept radar operators, as opposed to ATC-air traffic control). The goal of the interceptors is to fly to and close with the bogey, usually from his rear quarter, to visually ID the aircraft, its type and operating agency...company, airline, etc., and to do this as far outside US airspace as possible. In air navigation, approaching American airspace, there are very strict rules about entering ADIZ's and so-called Warning Areas. Any non-adherence to these rules can trigger a fighter intercept.

Well then maybe you're a tad out of touch and simply blowing hot air because last I looked, they're talking about the very same scenario here at home about the possibility of what I just explained to you could in fact - actually happen.

You make it sounds as though our border security are top notch, it ain't. Blowhards like you are simply out of touch. There are thousands, I repeat, thousands of aliens crossing our borders every freaking year *undetected*. Shiploads of smuggled aliens enter our harbors every year. If they can smuggle these aliens in our harbors, what makes you think they can easily spot canister, containers, crates containing dirty bombs if anyone so choose to do so.

They used very stringent and sophisticated contraband/drug detecting equipment and personnel along our borders too - but guess what smarty pants - billions of drugs still make it into our city streets.

Repeat. They are discussing the very possible scenario I just mentioned in my post while someone like you arrogantly dismissed it while sitting your spastic aging butt in Ukraine and try to tell me it won't and can never happen.

If this plane did in fact flew *under the radar* with all the sophisticated instrumentation Boeing had been telling us about, why can't anyone find it? If this crashed, better these guys find it and soon. If they don't find any proof that it crashed, are you now telling us there's nothing to worry and our silly government just ain't as smart as you and have to worry about a possible act of planned terror?

One likely scenario as one mentioned, a hijacked plane can in fact *shadow* another airliner so it'll only show a bleep on any radar and would largely fly undetected. It is admitted this will need some serious expertise to accomplish but it is in fact possible to do so.

Hey, at one time, who knew some silly band of Arabs can actually take flying lessons in-country and actually take over a cockpit and fly airliners into targeted buildings before 911? I would bet Crimea you didn't think that can ever happen too before, yes?

LOL. Go sip on your coffee, man.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:24:27 PM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline JayH

They have found MAS flight-- and it did not take to long after they got a sophisticated country doing the looking!!
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Kyrgyzstan
Well then maybe you're a tad out of touch and simply blowing hot air because last I looked, they're talking about the very same scenario here at home about the possibility of what I just explained to you could in fact - actually happen.

You make it sounds as though our border security are top notch, it ain't. Blowhards like you are simply out of touch. There are thousands, I repeat, thousands of aliens crossing our borders every freaking year *undetected*. Shiploads of smuggled aliens enter our harbors every year. If they can smuggle these aliens in our harbors, what makes you think they can easily spot canister, containers, crates containing dirty bombs if anyone so choose to do so.

They used very stringent and sophisticated contraband/drug detecting equipment and personnel along our borders too - but guess what smarty pants - billions of drugs still make it into our city streets.

Repeat. They are discussing the very possible scenario I just mentioned in my post while someone like you arrogantly dismissed it while sitting your spastic aging butt in Ukraine and try to tell me it won't and can never happen.

If this plane did in fact flew *under the radar* with all the sophisticated instrumentation Boeing had been telling us about, why can't anyone find it? If this crashed, better these guys find it and soon. If they don't find any proof that it crashed, are you now telling us there's nothing to worry and our silly government just ain't as smart as you and have to worry about a possible act of planned terror?

LOL. Go sip on your coffee, man.

Speaking of blowhards.... you really take the cake!

CC3 provided an accurate, very detailed description of the current defense procedures used to detect and intercept aircraft violating the US ADIZones.  Most of us pilots are aware of these procedures and can verify that his report is accurate.   You on the other hand, don't seem to know anything about what you are talking about.

Nice try to change the topic.  It was about aircraft penetration,  not wetbacks, not smuggling by sea, etc.  If you don't know what you are talking about, it's best to not make a fool of yourself. Your insulting comments directed toward CC3 are just more of the same crap you have spewed here for a long time.

Offline GQBlues

Speaking of blowhards.... you really take the cake!

CC3 provided an accurate, very detailed description of the current defense procedures used to detect and intercept aircraft violating the US ADIZones.  Most of us pilots are aware of these procedures and can verify that his report is accurate.   You on the other hand, don't seem to know anything about what you are talking about.

Nice try to change the topic.  It was about aircraft penetration,  not wetbacks, not smuggling by sea, etc.  If you don't know what you are talking about, it's best to not make a fool of yourself. Your insulting comments directed toward CC3 are just more of the same crap you have spewed here for a long time.

Speaking of blowhards. ...who is this "us" pilots? You? Lol. You couldn't fly a kite on a windy day LOL!

Then tell me this. How is it our sophisticated detection system lost 4 freaking airliners that tragic morning of 911?  Heck one of them hit the freakin Pentagon of all places and they didn't know where the heck the planes were until one entered the DC parkway seconds before impact LOLl It must be those sophisticated detection systems were still in boxes, no?

It's little wonder why some folks are sent to pasture. Folks like you and cc3 are the problems in our country's security.

I gave multiple samplings of our border security and you still didn't get it. If you believe you're well equipped about something, anything, what do you think will the mindset be by those who have a need to harm us or what our adversaries next move going to be?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:31:48 AM by GQBlues »

lordtiberius

Someone needs to drink a greasy bowl of shut the . . .

Question to those that served, how do you rate Putin's Army and Air Forces?  Are they capable of doing what we did in Persian Gulf?

Thank you in advance.

And btw, to those that served in any capacity, thank you for your service.  To that one mouthy film-am that didn't, thank you for nothing.

Offline Belvis

TO BEVIS,

You probably thought of me as about Beavis but I'm not  :D Nevertheless I'll try to answer some questions.

I say that the US should do nothing.  You say: Because the US supported?  How? 
Your words: "you would be surprised how fast - 8 hours - that we can engage the troops on the ground anywhere in the world"
And I believe you, just don't want to list all countries where US troops were involved in the last years. Not involved, let's skip PC BS, were killing thousands of citizens of these countries. Yeah, they were bad guys anyway.

The Coup?  What coup?  That the majority of the Rada voted out the President?  His own party?  And the US is responsible?

Have your read Ukrainian Constitution? President can be overthrown within frame of  legal procedure if: 1) After conclusions of both Supreme and Constitution Courts; 2) 338 deputies vote for impeachment. As far as I know Yunukovich was overthrown by 328 deputies without the Court decisions. Still majority but I call you to respect Ukrainian Constitution.
   About US involvement in the events I refer you to the bugged phone talk between US officials where they discussed  political assignements for opposition. I don't even touch 5 billion for Ukrainian democracy according to Nuland (which is propaganda, of course  :) ).

Russia is on a war footing, marching troops around in circles on the border of Ukraine.  They are fighting a war, but no one is stepping up and shooting guns at them. 
I would share your concerns knowing you have the access to restricted CIA reports. But I suspect you take all your info from certain news agencies. I read them too and understand your stand. However I read also other sources and feel protected better  from war brainwashing.
You'll hear more war news, all of this is internal Ukrainian affairs intended for inner political struggle, presidential election first of all.

Offline BillyB

Question to those that served, how do you rate Putin's Army and Air Forces? 

I think Russia's military could beat everyone in the world except America's and maybe China's who have been spending a lot on offense defense lately.

America's navy can beat the next 10+ nation's navies combined. One aircraft carrier alone has more air power than most nations. An enemy can blow a hole the size of the one in the USS Cole and our ships still won't sink. One sub can deliver 240 nukes, enough nukes for every major city in the world. But we should stick to comparing conventional weapons because nukes makes everybody equal. Our ships carry highly accurate cruise missiles that can travel hundreds of miles away and that can circle your house until it finds your front door to enter if programmed to do so.

When our planes have gone up against Russian built planes in various wars the last few decades, American planes have dominated. Israel have no complaints about our equipment vs Russian equipment owned by Arab nations. Air superiority is easy for America to achieve, even more so now than in the past since we increase the gap of technology. It's hard to shoot down planes you can't see on radar and that can destroy you before they get within eyesight.

Russia has one of the biggest armies in the world with a huge amount of armored vehicles. Boots on the ground, not planes or ships, is what it takes to gain real estate in war. During the Gulf war, Russian tanks had a difficult time penetrating our armor. One Iraqi colonel said in 30 days of air bombing, he lost 10% of his tanks but in one day of encountering the M-1 Abrams tank, he lost the rest. America has a huge supply of night vision equipment. A ratio of night vision goggles to soldiers higher than other countries. When one army can see and the other can't, it has a huge advantage if it chooses to stage battles at night.

America has great logistics which is important in a lengthy war. I'm not sure about Russia's logistics but there's little doubt on my mind they could quickly take out nearby neighbors.

Everything you read about the capabilities of America's weapons are most likely wrong. It's not desirable to let other nations know the true capabilities of our equipment. I had a friend who was on an aircraft carrier and when Reagan ordered ships to Libya, his aircraft carrier was going so fast it left it's battle group behind. It felt like an earthquake the whole time sailing to the Mediterranean. The engines/reactor weren't even at full power, if it were, it'll plow through the water so fast and hard, the ship would fall apart. Who would have thought an aircraft carrier could be the navy's fastest ship?

The will to fight and belief in the mission is important. It affects moral, which in turn affects performance. Everybody in America's military are volunteers so most of them are where they're at willingly. Most men in Russia's military are forced to serve so they may be less motivated to do their job. Putin would have a harder time motivating his soldiers to achieve his goals than Obama would with American soldiers. Propaganda is important and Russia is better than America at that. Saddam Hussein was not good at propaganda and some entire brigades and divisions of his military were surrendering before getting in a fight. Much of his soldiers didn't believe in the mission. They had no problem going up against Kuwait but when it came time to go up against a superior opponent, many surrendered. They valued their lives more than the mission.

America trains it's servicemen often. We have the funds to do so. Like it or not, America fights often. More training, more experience, means better soldiers.

If Putin knows he has the best military in the world, he would be using it on a larger scale right now, especially since he has home field advantage. He'd like to achieve all his goals now but he's still slow and cautious about the way he's doing things. That should tell you something pertaining to what he thinks of his military vs ours.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Gylden

• Trips: 1 - 3
Myself, I would like to see a bit more solidarity in Europe among European citizens (sans politicians) and everyone put on a coat and turn down the heat, make a whole hearted effort to use public transportation.

A way for the ordinary citizen to demonstrate intolerance of the current situation.

I had to laugh when watching an interview of an "old soviet officer" (pro Russian) the comment about all Jew/Maisons to get out.......was he talking about the fascists?   Too funny!

Mostly I hear hopes of a better life/more money from the interviews of pro Russia people, I have not heard one peep about "not being discriminated against in a Russian Crimea" not a word of improved safety either....it's all about the money.

Anyone who believes Putin only lies to the west, is definitely drinking the Kool Aid!!

Some people are trying hard to stil make this a Russia against Ukraine/and or West issue, but I still believe it is just a normal human issue of people tired of corruption and wanting something better. Corruption being the key word.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:15:28 AM by Gylden »

Offline LiveFromUkraine

Someone needs to drink a greasy bowl of shut the . . .

Question to those that served, how do you rate Putin's Army and Air Forces?  Are they capable of doing what we did in Persian Gulf?

Thank you in advance.

And btw, to those that served in any capacity, thank you for your service.  To that one mouthy film-am that didn't, thank you for nothing.

It must suck to only have one thing you are proud of in life.  It would at least make for some more interesting comebacks instead of saying the same thing over and over and over again.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:17:12 AM by LiveFromUkraine »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541554
Total Topics: 20868
Most Online Today: 1971