It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Russia  (Read 1093016 times)

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2800 on: March 08, 2015, 10:43:38 PM »
I have been away for a few days.   I do not see any discussion about Russia's plans to cut all government salaries by 10%  and reduce total number of government employees.

So much for sanctions having no effect on their behavior . . .

Offline AkMike

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2801 on: March 09, 2015, 12:31:00 AM »
Putin admits Kremlin's orchestration of annexation of Crimea

Russian President Vladimir Putin disclosed details of preparations for the annexation of Crimea. According to him, the preparations started when Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych was fleeing Ukraine in the early hours of February 23, 2014.

Read more on UNIAN: http://www.unian.info/politics/1053203-putin-admits-kremlins-orchestration-of-annexation-of-crimea.html

Offline AkMike

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2802 on: March 09, 2015, 12:38:03 AM »
Russian Imports Fall 37% as Sanctions and Slowdown Hit Trade
Imports into Russia from countries outside the former Soviet Union fell 36.9 percent to $22.9 billion in the first two months of 2015 compared with the same period last year, according to customs data released Friday.

Some of the biggest drops in imports were seen among food products.

Russia's economy is expected to contract sharply this year and trade has been hit by a food import ban imposed by Moscow on the United States and European Union countries last year in retaliation against Western sanctions on Russia over the Ukraine crisis.
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russian-imports-fall-37-as-sanctions-and-slowdown-hit-trade/517144.html

Swiss Expand Russia Blacklist to Stop Sanctions Evasion
Reuters
Mar. 08 2015 14:07
Last edited 14:07

ZURICH — The Swiss government has added 19 people and nine organizations to a list intended to prevent the country from being used as a conduit to circumvent Western sanctions against Russia.

Switzerland decided last March not to join sanctions that the EU has imposed over the Ukraine crisis but has been keen to avoid undermining them. Although not a member of the European Union, it is linked by agreements governing trade and other measures.

The EU published a new blacklist for fresh sanctions in February.
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/swiss-expand-russia-blacklist-to-stop-sanctions-evasion/517143.html

U.S. Froze Hundreds of Millions of Dollars of Russian Tycoons' Sanctioned Bank Assets

The United States has frozen about $640 million of assets belonging to banks controlled by three billionaire banking tycoons with close links to President Vladimir Putin as part of sanctions against Russia enacted last year, the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday citing U.S. Treasury data.

The sanctioned banks include Bank Rossiya, whose biggest shareholder is Yuri Kovalchuk, and SMP Bank, which is majority owned by brothers Arkady and Boris Rotenberg
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/u-s-froze-hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars-of-russian-tycoons-sanctioned-bank-assets/517110.html

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2803 on: March 09, 2015, 01:49:47 AM »
Natural, I noticed that you conveniently disregarded the post from a few weeks ago in which I, for well over a year, defended Mr. Putin on the subject of Syria. Yet, you criticize the number of posts I have here. Simples: get off your ass, and write your own.

A great majority voted yes to belong to Russia, like it had before it was given to Ukraine (without a referendum, right?

Ignorance truly is bliss. There were only two options on the ballot of the Crimean referendum. Do you know what they were?

A lot of things were done in the Soviet Union without a referendum of the people. Does that invalidate every Soviet policy and action?

Speaking of referendums, are you ready to call on Mr. Putin to recognize and honour the independence referendums of Dagestan and Chechnya?

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline The Natural

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2804 on: March 09, 2015, 01:54:19 AM »
I guess The Natural is hoarding gold. 

If the apocalypse comes and makes his gold the only currency, I hope he has it secured at home and not in brokerage accounts because paper receipts will have little meaning in such a case.   If so, I hope he has a well fortified home, several weapons to defend his stash, plus long sightlines for firing.  Frankly I cannot imagine such a situation ever happening.  If so, canned food and medicine would be more valuable than gold.

Hoarding and hoarding. I have a few grams left and a few kilos of silver. Prices are too high now for gold as our currency is down. But if I at the present moment made my money in US dollars, I would buy and hold it physically and not on paper. It's cheap in dollars now, but that situation won't last. You wait and see.

Your concern for my well-being as you stated here, is bringing tears to my eyes. I'm sure it is from the bottom of your heart, Gator.

Offline The Natural

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2805 on: March 09, 2015, 02:05:12 AM »
Natural, I noticed that you conveniently disregarded the post from a few weeks ago in which I, for well over a year, defended Mr. Putin on the subject of Syria. Yet, you criticize the number of posts I have here. Simples: get off your ass, and write your own.

Listen, I don't have time to read all posts here. There's also many other sites I would like to dig into, but I have a job, a family, working out and so on, so I can't be online here 100% like some people appear to do. Sometimes I go on here and state my opinion. That's it. But I refuse to be dragged into endless demands to prove this or that and waste a lot of valuable time, because as we all know, the opposition will never accept it, no matter what.

Good job if you defended Putin on the Syria situation.

I did not criticize the number of posts you have made here. Where do you read that into my response? I value differences of opinion and that people can make them here, you included, of course.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2806 on: March 09, 2015, 02:53:05 AM »
Sure thing, pal.

By the way, do you know the answers to my three simple questions?

There were only two options on the ballot of the Crimean referendum. Do you know what they were?

A lot of things were done in the Soviet Union without a referendum of the people. Does that invalidate every Soviet policy and action?

Speaking of referendums, are you ready to call on Mr. Putin to recognize and honour the independence referendums of Dagestan and Chechnya?
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline The Natural

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2807 on: March 09, 2015, 03:26:22 AM »
Sure thing, pal.

By the way, do you know the answers to my three simple questions?

There were only two options on the ballot of the Crimean referendum. Do you know what they were?

I don't know the wording on the ballot, but people I know there are very content with the result. A lot of things are done everywhere without referendums. Also here in the totally "free" west.

About Dagestand and Chechnya I have no opinion because I haven't checked the background and what's happening there. I'm sure you have.

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2808 on: March 09, 2015, 07:19:25 AM »
I don't know the wording on the ballot, but people I know there are very content with the result. A lot of things are done everywhere without referendums. Also here in the totally "free" west.

About Dagestand and Chechnya I have no opinion because I haven't checked the background and what's happening there. I'm sure you have.
So, in other words, you are talking out of your rear end just like most of the other Putin sheeple on this forum. Well done sir!!!  :clapping:
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline The Natural

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2809 on: March 09, 2015, 09:08:59 AM »
So, in other words, you are talking out of your rear end just like most of the other Putin sheeple on this forum. Well done sir!!!  :clapping:

Here we go again. Another tough guy using tough language but never coming close to discussing whatever his little brain get so worked up about.

Offline sleepycat

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2810 on: March 09, 2015, 09:44:25 AM »
Here we go again. Another tough guy using tough language but never coming close to discussing whatever his little brain get so worked up about.

And you don't get all worked up when some poster mocks your idol the midget Putin?  :wallbash:

Offline The Natural

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2811 on: March 09, 2015, 09:53:19 AM »
And you don't get all worked up when some poster mocks your idol the midget Putin?  :wallbash:

:wallbash: That's where you got your brain damage from. Maybe stop, or are you aiming for vegetable?

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2812 on: March 09, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
Natural:
I don't know the wording on the ballot, but people I know there are very content with the result.

I know that you do not. For your edification, there were only two options on the ballot and both resulted in leaving Ukraine. For those who wanted to remain, there was no vote. That is why so many Tatars and native Ukrainians boycotted the forced referendum.

I know plenty in Crimea who were not content with the vote.

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2813 on: March 09, 2015, 12:42:12 PM »

Its the truth.  You voice your opinion.  Numerous people tell you that you are wrong.  You persist in your argument.  At least you are man enough to say that you are willfully ignorant and don't care what the facts are.  Respect.,

Offline The Natural

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2814 on: March 09, 2015, 01:56:39 PM »
Natural:
I know that you do not. For your edification, there were only two options on the ballot and both resulted in leaving Ukraine. For those who wanted to remain, there was no vote. That is why so many Tatars and native Ukrainians boycotted the forced referendum.

I know plenty in Crimea who were not content with the vote.

Well, leaving Ukraine was exactly what the majority wanted and fortunately they got it, lest they too would get the Donbass treatment. This is over. Crimea is Russian and will remain so no matter what RWD or Washington say or do. The warm water naval port is also secured which is of vital importance for Russia. Imagine if the madmen in Washington seized that one, what would happen then?

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2815 on: March 09, 2015, 02:00:03 PM »
Given the Russians had a Black Sea fleet, leased from Ukraine, and had a long term contract, how, exactly, was the US going to seize the sea?  Moreover, the biggest port on the Black Sea is not in Ukraine, but in Russia.

Please tell me why the Black Sea, which can be locked by a NATO member, is of "strategic importance".
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:03:01 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2816 on: March 09, 2015, 02:01:49 PM »
Name names which madmen in Washington.

Offline The Natural

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2817 on: March 09, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »
Given the Russians had a Black Sea fleet, leased from Ukraine, and had a long term contract, how, exactly, was the US going to seize the sea?  Moreover, the biggest port on the Black Sea is not in Ukraine, but in Russia.

Please tell me why the Black Sea, which can be locked by a NATO member, is of "strategic importance".

Quote:

"Put simply, without a naval base in Crimea Russia is finished as a global military power"

Sounds like a good enough reason.

(I have a feeling an endless line of new questions will come..... ;) )

From Forbes.com. I can't paste and copy on this machine, so you'll just have to take my word for it, or dig it up yourself. The article (which sounds anti-Putin to me) is called 5 things you should know about Putin's incursion into Crimea.

(seems you have a little copy-cat there with the questions Boe, hehe)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:38:42 PM by The Natural »

Offline fathertime

• Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2818 on: March 09, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »
in Ukraine and all you can talk about is midgets and masturbation....are you one weird dude or what?

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2819 on: March 09, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »
Quote:

"Put simply, without a naval base in Crimea Russia is finished as a global military power"

Sounds like a good enough reason.

I thought the same thing as the article you quoted...Boethius disagrees with me on that point.    Although the Russians had a contract to stay there to 2042...25 years goes quick, just think of the how fast the last 25 went...and after that 25 years was up, they could have easily been left out in the cold without their ports as NATO might have moved in by then....they were taking no chances regarding what they felt was important to their security. 

Fathertime!   

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2820 on: March 09, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »
I thought the same thing as the article you quoted...Boethius disagrees with me on that point.    Although the Russians had a contract to stay there to 2042...25 years goes quick, just think of the how fast the last 25 went...and after that 25 years was up, they could have easily been left out in the cold without their ports as NATO might have moved in by then....they were taking no chances regarding what they felt was important to their security. 

For crying out loud!  You obviously don't remember the discussion (maybe May or June last year, from memory) about how Russia is developing an additional Black Sea naval base in its OWN territory, so that at some time in the future it won't have to rely on Sevastopol.  Nobody knows what will happen in 25 years - by then Russia may be a part of NATO, for all we know ... or it may no longer exist in the form that it is today.  Either way, that is still no justification for the Russian Government (or Putin by himself) to have acted the way they have in Ukraine over the last year.

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2821 on: March 09, 2015, 05:34:30 PM »
For crying out loud!  You obviously don't remember the discussion (maybe May or June last year, from memory) about how Russia is developing an additional Black Sea naval base in its OWN territory, so that at some time in the future it won't have to rely on Sevastopol.  Nobody knows what will happen in 25 years - by then Russia may be a part of NATO, for all we know ... or it may no longer exist in the form that it is today.  Either way, that is still no justification for the Russian Government (or Putin by himself) to have acted the way they have in Ukraine over the last year.

Obviously you forgot the discussion.   As I recall, one point that was brought out was that the area was not optimum for a port.   In addition to that if the current ports were leased to a hostile power to Russia, that would be an unacceptable outcome to them.  As one of possibly several reasons they believe security is a justification. ..you are not expected to agree...but it doesn't matter.

Yes who knows what will be in 25 years...but leaders thinking long term don't leave things like this to chance.

Fathertime!

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2822 on: March 09, 2015, 05:50:16 PM »
Obviously you forgot the discussion.   As I recall, one point that was brought out was that the area was not optimum for a port.   In addition to that if the current ports were leased to a hostile power to Russia, that would be an unacceptable outcome to them.  As one of possibly several reasons they believe security is a justification. ..you are not expected to agree...but it doesn't matter.

No, I didn't forget it.  Various areas were mentioned, and the pros and cons discussed.  Belvis and (I think) Ranetka both agreed that nowhere in the Sea of Azov would be suitable because it is generally too shallow and the Kerch Strait can ice up in winter, but the coast north of Sochi can easily be developed (if Russia is prepared to spend the billions necessary).  Novorossiysk already has a naval base (which I have seen for myself).  The advantage of Sevastopol is that it is several hours' steaming closer to the Mediterranean.
Nobody is at war with Russia; nobody is threatening to invade it; nobody has troops on the ground in Russia, or even close to it.  That's exactly the opposite of what Russia is doing, and has been doing, for quite some time.

As for ports being leased to a "hostile power to Russia" - at the moment, there is no such thing.  Realistically, the only ports worth the name are Odessa and Mariupol.  Can you seriously see the Ukrainian Government leasing these to any other country?  In any case, how can Russia justify stating that anything military is "an unacceptable outcome to them?"  Soviet bases in East Germany and other places behind the Iron Curtain were "unacceptable" to the rest of the world, but that didn't stop them.  The Russian naval base at Sevastopol is "unacceptable" to a lot of people, but nobody has bombed it or otherwise tried to expel the Russians from it.

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: No Selection
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2823 on: March 09, 2015, 06:09:15 PM »
The discussion is moot anyways:

1) Russia is not a global military power. The USSR was a world power and they gave the damn port away (under lease arrangement).

2) Bo is right maybe 50 years ago the port was of strategic importance but not now. NATO, US or any sea power could sit off the Aegean or closer and pick the Russian rust buckets off as they emerged with little or no trouble. In fact, the Black Sea Fleet, I use the term loosely as it can't really be considered a fleet, could be picked off in port from land based assets from two or three different countries surrounding the Black Sea nowadays if the US or NATO were so inclined.

3) The Port is just an excuse, or one of the excuses, used by Moscow to justify invasion and annexation. It is Russian occupied Ukraine for now. We can only hope it'll be liberated sometime in the future.

Brass
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #2824 on: March 09, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »

As for ports being leased to a "hostile power to Russia" - at the moment, there is no such thing.  Realistically, the only ports worth the name are Odessa and Mariupol.  Can you seriously see the Ukrainian Government leasing these to any other country?  In any case, how can Russia justify stating that anything military is "an unacceptable outcome to them?"  Soviet bases in East Germany and other places behind the Iron Curtain were "unacceptable" to the rest of the world, but that didn't stop them.  The Russian naval base at Sevastopol is "unacceptable" to a lot of people, but nobody has bombed it or otherwise tried to expel the Russians from it.

I think Russia sees us as a hostile power. 

Follow me here for a moment.  Armed warfare is one way to get your way in the world.  The western nations really don't have that option as it pertains to Russia, as with nukes it is just too risky.  So instead we (the USA) have been able to isolate and freeze Russia to some extent, we have the reserve currency which we can print, and buy a lot of influence with it, without really paying.   We intervene around the world when it has some benefit for us and this often harms Russia's allies.   Russia exists, and they are powerful and not going to just lay down and be sliced and diced without trying to prevent it, by whatever means they can. Frankly, I like our system of government better, but that is besides the point.

Slowly cutting Russia out more and more is what appears to be happening.  They can see it, and appear to be attempting to stem the bleeding with this move.  This could backfire, although it doesn't appear it will. Western nations will not risk a wide war over Ukraine, perhaps they will likely accept a partial loss, covertly arm Ukraine somewhat, and hope to weaken Russia while Ukraine is decimated in the process.  Although it goes without saying, I'll say it anyway.....this is only my opinion. 

Fathertime!   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:51:16 PM by fathertime »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541599
Total Topics: 20870
Most Online Today: 1369
Most Online Ever: 12701