It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: С Днем Победы!  (Read 44860 times)

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: С Днем Победы!
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2015, 06:30:22 PM »
Soviet citizens who were concentration camp guards for the Nazis were enlisted as gulag guards in the USSR.  Stalin said they "had good experience".

It is not a hidden fact.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline pitbull

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2015, 07:09:52 PM »
Soviet citizens who were concentration camp guards for the Nazis were enlisted as gulag guards in the USSR.  Stalin said they "had good experience".

It is not a hidden fact.

I am really curious about german Nazis that Soviet Union allegedly imported after the war. Research links
Be the person that your dog thinks you are

Offline Boethius

« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2015, 08:58:15 PM »
I can't provide links, but I remember reading about it in scholarly journals when I was working on my M.A.  My prof was a Czech economist who reputedly had worked for the CIA, and he pointed us to a lot of great resources, both in English and Russian, though the latter were almost always problematic at that time.  There was also a lot of material on German POW's who disappeared in the USSR.

Unlike those who landed in the U.S., the Germans in the USSR were not there voluntarily.  Most were forced to come with war reparations, when the Soviets dismantled factories and assembled them in the USSR.  The lamp posts on Khreshchatyk in Kyiv, for example, were made under the supervision of German engineers, with Krupp steel, from one of its repatriated factories.

Anecdotally, my better half knew the children of many of those German scientists.  They were married to Soviet women.  They were given apartments and stations in life that a Soviet citizen in their position would receive (i.e., low level bureaucracy nomenklatura).  At some point during the Brezhnev years, they were given the opportunity to return to the DDR, and almost all did so, despite having lived in the USSR for decades.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Ed S.

« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2015, 09:50:08 PM »
http://faculty.fordham.edu/siddiqi/writings/13_siddiqi_germans_in_russia_2009.pdf

Germans in Russia:
Cold War, Technology Transfer,
and National Identity
By Asif A. Siddiqi*

In the aftermath of World War II, the Soviet government captured and put to work
thousands of German scientists and engineers in support of domestic military projects.
Many were assigned to aid in the development of ballistic missiles but were
repatriated back to the German Democratic Republic in the early 1950s. This much-
 invoked but poorly understood chapter in the history of Soviet science brought into
relief a larger set of issues on the constitutive role of science and technology in the
articulation of a Soviet national identity during the early cold war. These factors,
which included a resurgence of postwar nationalism and the culture of extreme secrecy,
forced an unlikely outcome to the question of how best to make use of German
expertise: reframe the Germans as “less useful” and send them home. Here,
the intersection of cold war imperatives, technology transfer, and national identity
produced a condition in which the Germans’ ultimate fate had less to do with their
expertise (which was quite impressive) than the perception of their expertise. The
latter was easier to manipulate and eventually overshadowed the former.

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
There were very few people, cynics mostly, who weren't touched by the events surrounding May 9th.  I was fortunate to be in Russia during the run up to the remembrance.  Every family that I was with had family members who were lost.  Witnessing part of the remembrance, I too could feel the weight of history upon the shoulders of those who remain and their children and their children's children.  While the dead were remembered on this day, I find a national amnesia inherent in the Russian ability to forget that the greatest number of Russian deaths during the last century occurred in the Gulags and in the mass deportation and executions of whole subsets of society by the paranoid Stalin.

I find it incredible that many of the same attitudes that allowed Stalin to proceed with his pogroms are present in today's patriotic fervor that is sweeping Russia. 

The Russian people still see themselves the victims who overcame great adversity.  They see that in themselves today and it is being fueled by sanctions and vitriol in response to Russia's actions in Ukraine.   

But Russia stands alone.  If does not have a host of countries prepared to act as fodder for the canons of Russian aggression.  Instead the same countries that once were Russian lackeys now stand united against Russian aggression. After touring, again, a good part of the Russian underbelly, I saw a total lack of infrastructure coupled with a substandard standard of living.  It is true that Russia has great natural resources.  But it is also true that few of those resources are actually targeted at making Russia's economy comparable to that of its Western neighbors.  Instead we see those resources used to develop a military that can only be used for aggression.  Without infrastructure or a good standard of living, what will happen with an over zealous expansion of the armed forces?  History has taught us that lesson, again and again.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Boethius

« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2015, 10:28:37 PM »
http://faculty.fordham.edu/siddiqi/writings/13_siddiqi_germans_in_russia_2009.pdf

Germans in Russia:
Cold War, Technology Transfer,
and National Identity
By Asif A. Siddiqi*

In the aftermath of World War II, the Soviet government captured and put to work
thousands of German scientists and engineers in support of domestic military projects.
Many were assigned to aid in the development of ballistic missiles but were
repatriated back to the German Democratic Republic in the early 1950s. This much-
 invoked but poorly understood chapter in the history of Soviet science brought into
relief a larger set of issues on the constitutive role of science and technology in the
articulation of a Soviet national identity during the early cold war. These factors,
which included a resurgence of postwar nationalism and the culture of extreme secrecy,
forced an unlikely outcome to the question of how best to make use of German
expertise: reframe the Germans as “less useful” and send them home. Here,
the intersection of cold war imperatives, technology transfer, and national identity
produced a condition in which the Germans’ ultimate fate had less to do with their
expertise (which was quite impressive) than the perception of their expertise. The
latter was easier to manipulate and eventually overshadowed the former.

Thanks for that.  The Germans my husband knew left in the 1970's, not the 1950's. 

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #156 on: May 13, 2015, 10:36:33 PM »
Today John "Lurch" Kerry is back in Moscow soliciting Putin's help in Syria and nukes for Iran. I suspect the conversation will go something along the lines of "Listen, Vlad, if you'll help a bruddah out in Syria and Iran, I suspect we can forgive that little Ukrainian thingy while Barack is still in office"

Yep.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/return-to-pragmatism-in-russia-west-ties-kerry-putin-talks-hint-that-way/ar-BBjJXSX?ocid=iehp

Offline pitbull

« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2015, 05:03:29 AM »
I can't provide links, but I remember reading about it in scholarly journals when I was working on my M.A.  My prof was a Czech economist who reputedly had worked for the CIA, and he pointed us to a lot of great resources, both in English and Russian, though the latter were almost always problematic at that time.  There was also a lot of material on German POW's who disappeared in the USSR.

Unlike those who landed in the U.S., the Germans in the USSR were not there voluntarily.  Most were forced to come with war reparations, when the Soviets dismantled factories and assembled them in the USSR.  The lamp posts on Khreshchatyk in Kyiv, for example, were made under the supervision of German engineers, with Krupp steel, from one of its repatriated factories.

Anecdotally, my better half knew the children of many of those German scientists.  They were married to Soviet women.  They were given apartments and stations in life that a Soviet citizen in their position would receive (i.e., low level bureaucracy nomenklatura).  At some point during the Brezhnev years, they were given the opportunity to return to the DDR, and almost all did so, despite having lived in the USSR for decades.

Boethius,

This is not what I am talking about. Not "Germans", but "Nazis", or rather "Nazi war criminals".
It is a known fact that thousands of captured Germans, "repatriates" were working in the Soviet Union to help rebuild the country. My grandmother told us about them multiple times - they quality of their construction work was great btw.

The Lichtblau's book tells about a completely different story - how the US "awarded" clean and anonymous life in the US to file and rank Nazis, criminals of war,  those involved in senior levels of Nazi atrocities - heads od of concentration camp deaths squads, or those signing death warrants on people. Those who are international war criminals, like this scumbag who finally paid for his war crimes at 89
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/19/pennsylvania-man-8-arrested-on-charges-nazi-atrocities/

And much later, when the Nazis in the US were legally prosecuted,

"And, in some cases, the CIA had scrubbed the Nazis' files, Lichtblau says.
"They actively cleansed their records," Lichtblau says. "They realized that guys who had been involved at senior levels of Nazi atrocities would not pass through immigration at the INS — and they basically removed a lot of the Nazi material from their files."
You said that the Soviet Union did the same, and I asked for links and research. What you are talking about has nothing to do with the US "Nazi" story.

Be the person that your dog thinks you are

Offline Ed S.

« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2015, 08:08:52 PM »

Boethius,

This is not what I am talking about. Not "Germans", but "Nazis", or rather "Nazi war criminals".
It is a known fact that thousands of captured Germans, "repatriates" were working in the Soviet Union to help rebuild the country. My grandmother told us about them multiple times - they quality of their construction work was great btw.

The Lichtblau's book tells about a completely different story - how the US "awarded" clean and anonymous life in the US to file and rank Nazis, criminals of war,  those involved in senior levels of Nazi atrocities - heads od of concentration camp deaths squads, or those signing death warrants on people. Those who are international war criminals, like this scumbag who finally paid for his war crimes at 89
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/19/pennsylvania-man-8-arrested-on-charges-nazi-atrocities/

"They actively cleansed their records," Lichtblau says. "They realized that guys who had been involved at senior levels of Nazi atrocities would not pass through immigration at the INS — and they basically removed a lot of the Nazi material from their files."
You said that the Soviet Union did the same, and I asked for links and research. What you are talking about has nothing to do with the US "Nazi" story.

To be honest, you're probably correct on this. However, it is well known that the DDR was equally as loose with denazification as the West was when it came to military and intelligence. The Stasi was born out of ex-Gestapo and SS officers recruited by the SED, and all that was required was a pledge of loyalty.

Given how terrifyingly effective the Stasi were, and the Soviet's high regard for them, I don't really think they objected too much about it either. However, they were also smart enough to make sure that any Wehrmacht or Nazis they recruited weren't high ranking criminals, or at least kept hidden from public view. If the Volksarmee didn't recruit from Wehrmacht and even Waffen-SS officers, they'd have no officer corps.

Eventually even the West would stop using ex-Nazis, as eventually it became apparent that many of them were unreliable and had their own agenda.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2015, 12:54:28 PM »

Boethius,

This is all true.  However at least we do not have a major Museum which attempts to white-wash the history of these collaborators and fascists.  In fact the museum I am speaking of presents these type of persons as Hero's.

The following is a letter from a genuine Scholar, Dr. Per Anders Rudling, protesting this Museum in L'viv/L'vov.

excerpt
"The Center for the Study of the Liberation Movement and currently the director of the National Memorial “Lonsky Street Prison” Museum in Lviv. Zabilyi holds a Masters degree and has, to my knowledge no publications in peer reviewed journals. He has been central to the promotion and glorification of the OUN, the UPA, Stepan Bandera, and Roman Shukhevych. At the same time, he has actively obfuscated the OUN’s role in the Holocaust. His museum, housed in the facilities of an infamous Soviet prison where nearly 1,700 inmates were murdered by the NKVD prior to the evacuation of Lviv in June 1941 passes over in silence the massacre of local Jews carried out by the OUN militia at the same location only days later."

http://defendinghistory.com/dr-per-anders-rudlings-email-to-colleagues-of-3-october-2012-concerning-the-zabily-speaking-tour-in-north-america/43772
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:12:13 PM by AC »

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2015, 01:04:41 PM »
Other Academics who wrote a letter in support of Dr. Rudling, after some Canadian-Ukrainians accused him of "bullying" in regards to his protest letter over efforts at revisionist history.

excerpt

They have accused Dr. Rudling of lacking “common sense and courtesy,” of trying to suppress free speech, bullying, and defamation, even alleging that Dr. Rudling’s protest borders on what they call “hate speech.”

We, the undersigned, declare our solidarity with Dr. Rudling. We find his criticism plausible and extremely valuable. We also endorse his call for rethinking some aspects of the field of Ukrainian studies. We reject entirely any attempt to denounce Dr. Rudling, to exert pressure on him, and to obfuscate the issue by presenting Mr. Zabily and the organizers of his tour as victims.

Mr. Zabily has every right to free speech, but we, like Dr. Rudling, are deeply worried by a lecture tour that, willingly or not, can only end up conferring academic legitimacy on him and his history activism. This is especially disturbing as it is very likely that this added credibility will be instrumentalized in Ukraine’s public sphere.

Signatories (in alphabetical order):

Ab Imperio Quarterly (Ilya Gerasimov, Serguei Glebov, Alexander Kaplunivski, Marina Mogilner, Alexander Semyonov)

Tarik Cyril Amar, Department of History, Columbia University

Ian D. Armour, PhD, Department of Humanities, Faculty of Arts & Science, Grant MacEwan University, Edmonton, Alberta

Karyn Ball, Professor, University of Alberta

Omer Bartov, John P. Birkelund Distinguished Professor of European History, Department of History, Brown University

Ernst Berger, Univ. Prof. Dr. med., MUW, Klinik f. Kinder- u. Jugendpsychiatrie

Aleksandr Burakovskiy, PhD, writer and independent scholar, New York

Jeffrey Burds, Northeastern University

Johan Dietsch, Postdoctoral fellow, East European Studies, Lund University

Roman Dubasevych, PhD Candidate, University of Vienna

Evgeny Finkel, Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, The George Washington University

Mayhill Fowler, Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Toronto

Svitlana Frunchak, PhD candidate, University of Toronto

Kristian Gerner, Pofessor of History (emeritus), Lund Univesity

Andrew Gow, Professor of History, Director of Religious Studies, University of Alberta

Jan Grabowski, Professor/professeur titulaire, Department of History/Département d’histoire, University of Ottawa/Université d’Ottawa

Atina Grossmann, Professor of History, Cooper Union

John-Paul Himka, Professor of History, University of Alberta

Anna Holian, Arizona State University

Dovid Katz, PhD, editor, DefendingHistory.com

Emilian Kavalski, PhD, Senior Lecturer in Politics and International Relations, School of Humanities and Communication Arts, University of Western Sydney

Jeffrey Kopstein, Professor of Political Science, University of Toronto

Emil Langermann, Vienna

Olga Linkiewicz, Polish Academy of Science, New York University

Jared McBride, PhD Candidate, UCLA

Joanna Michlic, PhD, The HBI Director, Project on Families, Children, and the Holocaust, Brandeis University

Alexey Miller, Professor, Department of History, CEU, Leading Research Fellow, Russian Academy of Sciences

Srdja Pavlovic, University of Alberta, Edmonton

John E. Richardson, PhD, Department of Social Sciences, Loughborough University

Grzegorz Rossolinski-Liebe, Free University of Berlin

Clemens Ruthner, Assistant Professor (German & European Studies), Director of Research, School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultural Studies, Trinity College, Dublin

Alan Rutkowski, Emeritus Librarian, Victoria, BC, Canada

Steven Seegel, Associate Professor of History, University of Northern Colorado

Anton Shekhovtsov, PhD, Junior Visiting Fellow, Institut für die Wissenschaften vom Menschen, Vienna

Heidemarie Uhl, PhD, Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften, Institut für Kulturwissenschaften und Theatergeschichte

Stephanie Weismann, Doktoratskolleg Galizien, University of Vienna

Ruth Wodak, Distinguished Professor, Chair in Discourse Studies, Department of Linguistics and English Language, Lancaster University

Magdalena Zolkos, Senior Research Fellow, University of Western Sydney

Efraim Zuroff, PhD, director, Simon Wiesenthal Center Israel Office

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541778
Total Topics: 20876