It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Sending funds to loved ones in Ukraine under the new rules  (Read 11486 times)

Offline alex330

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Sending funds to loved ones in Ukraine under the new rules
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:57:42 AM »
I realize there are probably many threads on this subject already, but the laws in Ukraine have changed and we just experienced an issue so wanted to give members fair warning on what is currently occurring.

Every once in a while we send family back home in Ukraine funds via Western Union. They go to the local office, flash their passport and retrieve the funds. The other day MIL was contacted by the authorities informing her that all the money she had picked up from the Western Union location was to be considered income and she now owed taxes on it.

Just a thought for those with good intentions helping loved ones back home in Ukraine. Choose an alternate method of sending funds so they are not hit with taxes. We will be mailing over an international prepaid gift card, which we can reload here locally for her.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
Re: Sending funds to loved ones in Ukraine under the new rules
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »
Outrage.
Already costs too much for Westrn Union moneygrams.
Poroshenko helped himself just like the other 4.
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Sending funds to loved ones in Ukraine under the new rules
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 02:39:23 PM »
We will be mailing over an international prepaid gift card, which we can reload here locally for her.

Mail them a book and put the card inside it somewhere
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Muzh

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
Mail them a book and put the card inside it somewhere

GONE!!!
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline Anathema

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 03:29:49 PM »
Why not use something like PayPal?

Offline Noch1

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 03:37:56 PM »
You mean those poor scammers are going to have to pay taxes???
Poor buggers are going to have to insist on more, just to get by >:(
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 03:46:39 PM »
How do you think this came to the attention of the tax collectors?  It wasn't grandpa and grandma who were getting subsistence money!

When you have a 19 year old hottie getting $50,000 a year from overseas, it becomes a big issue if repeated again and again over time.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Boethius

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 05:17:48 PM »
LOL, jone. 

We have sent money to Ukraine recently.  No tax authorities came into the picture, at least, not yet, nor in the past.

I asked hubby about this as well, and he said as far as he knows, the law to tax these amounts was not passed.  But, he hasn't checked recently.  He asked if this occurred in Odessa.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline TagUrIt898

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 05:23:05 PM »
I hate to be too intrusive, but how much money are we talking about here?  I just recently sent P a small amount via MoneyGram and she had no issues. I'll be very curious to see the responses in this thread.

Tag

Offline Boethius

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 05:28:06 PM »
Small amounts.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline alex330

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 06:19:01 PM »
Yes, it occurred in Odessa. They are using your passport to track incoming funds as well as monitor bank accounts from my understanding. Paypal would deposit into her bank account, so same issue. We send a couple hundred dollars every few months to help out, not a lot of money for us here in the West, but a decent chunk for those struggling in Ukraine.

Offline alex330

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 06:27:16 PM »
I just recently sent P a small amount via MoneyGram and she had no issues. I'll be very curious to see the responses in this thread.

We have been doing so for years without issue.  They finally approached her for back taxes on the funds we have been sending. Not sure how far back they went.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 07:17:26 PM »

We have been doing so for years without issue.  They finally approached her for back taxes on the funds we have been sending. Not sure how far back they went.

Try getting a duplicate debit card on your US Bank (cannot get one in her name unless she can physically go into the US bank).  You can set the pin differently for each of your cards.  Send her the card.  As long as she uses the ATM's, she won't have to go into the bank.  Works for relatively small amounts of money at a time.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »
I realize there are probably many threads on this subject already, but the laws in Ukraine have changed and we just experienced an issue so wanted to give members fair warning on what is currently occurring.

Maybe your in laws are one of the unlucky ones while the majority slip through the cracks.  The teller they picked up from may get a cut from local tax authorities. Tell your in laws to pick up their money at another location. I Googled to try to find answers and found a thread back in 2003 of a gift tax having to be paid.

http://www.planet-love.com/smf/index.php?topic=14770.0;wap2
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline alex330

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »
Try getting a duplicate debit card on your US Bank (cannot get one in her name unless she can physically go into the US bank).  You can set the pin differently for each of your cards.  Send her the card.  As long as she uses the ATM's, she won't have to go into the bank.  Works for relatively small amounts of money at a time.

Good idea if you open an account in your name just for her and keep limited funds in the account. If added to your main account I would be leery of a lost/stolen card being cloned or a remote RFID reader used to steal your info.

Maybe your in laws are one of the unlucky ones while the majority slip through the cracks.  The teller they picked up from may get a cut from local tax authorities. Tell your in laws to pick up their money at another location. I Googled to try to find answers and found a thread back in 2003 of a gift tax having to be paid.

Quite possible, but this is a new law. We were told about the passport requirement for WU within the last six months or so. Ukraine is trying to recover as much as possible right now due to the economic situation and WU is an easy target many of the black markets use. Like jone mentioned above, think of all the men wiring money to women or scammers, all the programmers/techs that work under the table, steroid trafficking (Ukraine is home to the largest rings) and it gives the government a whole new tax base. The elderly MIL just happens to fall victim as well.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 02:54:56 PM »
Slightly off topic but a new rant on Western Union.

A couple years ago Western Union froze my account and returned a transfer for about $1000 being sent to my fiancé in UA.  When I inquired they told me that they are freezing all money transfers to UA that are above a limit due to the money laundering and US government regulations.  They would not tell me the threshold amount.  A subsequent attempt for a small amount also failed because my account was blocked.

Our son is in Israel and needs to buy a plane ticket back to kiev.  He has an appointment in Kiev in a few days and needs the money now.  I went to Western Union and sent him $600.  We carefully copied all the information from his UA passport, checked spelling and did everything we could think of to not have any hiccups.  The fee was $50 to send $600.

He called us and told us that they said there no money waiting for him at the WU office. we confirmed that he had the correct MTCN number, etc.  I checked with WU online and they indicated that the money had not been picked up yet.  The office in Israel would not give him a specific reason as to why the transaction is failing, other than to say there is no money waiting for him.

I have had it for the last time with Western Union!!!!!

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 03:50:17 PM »

One time one WU center didn't give my wife her money because her name was spelled wrong.
We just went to another office and they paid her.
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline TagUrIt898

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 04:05:10 PM »
I've heard both good and bad about WU and Moneygram.  I have no personal story to tell with WU, because I've never used their services before.  My very first time sending money was with Moneygram.  Initially I was a little dissuaded because I attempted to do the transfer online from my checking account.  The transaction was frozen and I was asked to call and speak with a representative.  I called and was asked a series of questions.  Who are you sending the funds to, etc.  What surprised me was that even after I called and underwent their mini-interview/interrogation they STILL declined to make the transfer. They said I would need to go to a physical location and complete the transaction.  I almost decided NOT to used their service, but I looked at the pros and cons of WU vs MG.  If I used WU I was told the recipient would have access to the funds within two hours of sending.  With MoneyGram the funds would be available in 10 minutes or less. Additionally, the fees were less expensive with MG and all you needed for identification was a drivers license.  I sound like a commercial for Moneygram.lol. I'm just sharing my experience.  I would most likely use them again.

Tag

Offline JayH

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »
Sending funds via WU is an expensive way to do it-maybe ok in a one-off emergency it is worth the cost. The current situation has been coming and warning issued some time ago about transfers like this- and similar transactions.

To repeat my comments from earlier threads on sending money( is it groundhog day?)
This is by far the simplest -easiest-safest way to do.
In Australia-- you can purchase a visa debit card for  $6.95  ( load & go) at Australia Post.
http://auspost.com.au/money-insurance/load-and-go-reloadable-visa-prepaid-card.html

This can be set up quite easily in recipients name etc I can add funds directly from bank account ( they appear in next working day)
Send card (mail no problem-- as it needs allocated pin to use)  .

This card can be used as a normal Visa Card for purchases--it can draw cash from ATM or over the counter at bank. Basically--it function is identical to your own bank issued card ( Visa debit card that is-- as it requires funds in account to be able to use).

The cost is 3%-- and no charge at other end from some banks.

This type of card is commonly available in UK and EU countries also.

Now- in the US of A--
http://usa.visa.com/personal/personal-cards/prepaid-cards/buy-online.jsp
http://prepaid-debit-cards-review.toptenreviews.com/

The same type of card is available in the US.

SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline BillyB

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 09:58:47 PM »
it gives the government a whole new tax base. The elderly MIL just happens to fall victim as well.

The Ukrainian government is going to piss off a lot of foreigners, foreigners they need to help pressure their governments to help Ukraine. I WU my MIL every month some money. She has not had a problem yet with tax authorities. If anybody is collecting money from a certain location and getting notified by tax authorities, they should be collecting their money from a different location next time.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 06:20:21 AM »
I doubt different locations will make any difference.

The tax people are not getting info about money arriving by referring to records kept at any one location.

I am sure that WU for all of Ukraine has to provide a central data base of transactions to the money authorities in Ukraine; same as WU provides for all countries.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline iceshaft07

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »
Hey y'all!

Last time I sent money, I sent $600 from my checking. It cost $12 to send. Western Union charges a greater amount for credit card transactions. So far, no issues sending Money to Odessa.

Offline Rick4G

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 08:12:32 AM »
I use MG because it is cheaper than WU for Ukraine.  I have several that I routinely send money to but usually small amounts like 40 or 50 bucks and i can do it by computer or even from smartphone  app.   Never had any issues although some bank branches are very picky about spelling  and matching passport spelling when it is picked up.

I used to give people pre-paid visa cards that i could fund from home but several of them no longer allow ATM transactions outside of USA.  Green dot, for example.  Yes, fees for MoneyGram are not cheap (5 bucks to send 50 but WU is 9) but using US based
debit cards is not either as there are foreign transaction fees and even ATM fees to consider.

Ukraine is always changing the rules.   First its you cannot take dollars then you can but only 100 maximum per day.  Citizens must have bank account to take MG then dont need... to cite some examples

I will ask my receivers if they know anything about this as i just sent money today.
$40 a week to someone may not seem like much to western people but to a college age student in Ukraine its more than they are going to make in virtually any job they can find, IF they can even find a job.

Offline TagUrIt898

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 03:14:51 PM »
The two times I've sent money to Polishka, I used MG as well. The amounts were small and I did the transactions in person at a Moneygram locations.  The second time I sent funds, it was even easier. I used a Moneygram machine at CVS (drug store) and it already had my information from the previous time I used the service. The fees weren't too bad and they give you a reference number to give to the recipient.  When P, went to pick the funds up all she need to provide was the reference number. No passport or even identification. That part concerns me a little, because of someone manages to get the reference number and use it before the intended recipient collects the funds, you're pretty much. S.O.L. 😝

Tag

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 08:53:04 AM »
Western Union vs MoneyGram, IMHO it's MoneyGram hands down. One can walk into WalMart and send money anywhere in the world (up to $999.00, I think) for $10 bucks in just a few minutes with limited info. I haven't sent any money since last Fall but I comparative shopped WU then and while they do seem to be attempting to compete with MG, they're not and it's still a no-brainer. WU is rife with policy and problems online, security and is still more expensive but, better than it use to be. Part of which is trying to send from a phone app or online. MG has those same problems online. I've found it more hassle free to just walk into Wally's, fill out the form and hand over the money.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541781
Total Topics: 20876
Most Online Today: 1588
Most Online Ever: 12701