It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Face masks DO help the wearers  (Read 5302 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Face masks DO help the wearers
« on: April 23, 2020, 03:51:39 PM »
Note:  This may or may not be a change from a position that I posted some weeks ago . . . so don't bother searching it down.

- - - - - - - - -

I understand that the main reason for general public to wear face masks (of any type and construction) is to protect OTHER people.

However, I firmly believe that face masks CAN help protect the wearers.
I didn't say 100% . . . but masks cannot but help the wearer.
OK, so face masks don't filter out all the bacteria and viruses . . . but something is better than nothing.

I am sure that if two people are standing directly in front of a 3rd person who has a huge cough or sneeze . . . the person wearing a mask will be better off compared to the 2nd person wearing no sort of facial protection.

Yes, I know some particles can go into your eyes, ears, etc.
But still . . . you have got to be better off keeping some out of your nose and mouth.

- - - - - - -

http://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/mask#types-of-masks

Surgical face masks are fairly loose-fitting, disposable masks approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use as medical devices. Doctors, dentists, and nurses often wear them while treating patients.

These masks prevent large droplets of bodily fluids that may contain viruses or other germs from escaping via the nose and mouth.

They also protect against splashes and sprays from other people, such as those from sneezes and coughs.

But the average masks you can buy from a local drugstore aren’t enough to filter out viruses.

For that purpose, experts recommend special masks with fine mesh that can capture very small organisms. These also have to be worn correctly for them to work.

Masks worn over the face are also unable to protect you from getting airborne virus particles, from a cough or sneeze, into your eyes.

Respirators, also called N95 respirator masks, are designed to protect the wearer from small particles in the air, like viruses. They’re certified by the CDC and National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.

The name comes from the fact that they can filter 95 percent of airborne particles, according to the CDC. N95 masks are also often used when painting or handling potentially toxic materials.

Respirators are selected to fit your face. They must form a perfect seal so no gaps allow airborne viruses in. Healthcare workers use them to protect against airborne infectious diseases, such as tuberculosis and anthrax.

Unlike regular face masks, respirators protect against both large and small particles.

Overall, respirators are considered much more effective at preventing the flu virus than regular face masks.

Still, studies have found benefits to both types of masks.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Face masks DO help the wearers
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 04:14:00 PM »
Because of the chaos created by the sensationalism of this novel virus, almost every aspect of the principal subjects in this, and during this, pandemic became a case of chasing rabbits in a rabbit hole.

Face mask offer protection. The degree of protection depends in the construction and type of the mask. We were told in the onset wearing face mask, N95 or otherwise, won't help us avoid infection. Hell, despite the fact they didn't know how this virus actually transmit human-human at the time, how can they tell you what works and what doesn't? IMO, face masks offer equal opportunity protection. They were so scared that the masses will rush and buy all the certified N95 masks, even surgical masks, and cause massive shortages for the nurses and doctors about to face the anticipated influx of patients.

Then they tell you the virus travels 3 feet when a person sneezes, only to tell the public a bit later they now found out the virus can actually go airborne as far as two grocery lanes away and hover.

I remember telling BillyB at the onset of this when he said he was stocking up on face masks and was ridiculed on this board by the usual suspect, to do what he feels he believes he should to protect his lot.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 05:57:26 PM »
Everything I have read states that masks don't protect the wearer.   But they do protect those who have COVID from spreading the virus.  This is for surgical type masks, not N95 or FFP3 respirator type masks.  The reasons for lack of effectiveness vary, including the loose fit, the fact most people don't handle masks properly, and the fact that people still continue to touch their faces.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BillyB

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 09:02:09 PM »

The virus is so small, it can pass through the filter material of a mask. But we aren't coughing, sneezing, or breathing out viruses. We are coughing, sneezing and breathing out water droplets that the viruses ride on. The water droplets are much bigger than viruses and the filter material of a mask can catch most water droplets.

Some protection is better than no protection. A person sneezing in their mask does not prevent all the virus infected water droplets from escaping. If a non infected person has a mask on, their mask may stop the few water droplets that escaped from the infected person's mask. From the mouth of an infected person to the mouth of a non infected person, it's always better to have two barriers of filtration to stop virus infected water droplets than one.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 03:13:07 AM »
Problem is the reuse of disposable masks that have been collecting droplets here and there, internal and external.

At least give them a quick spray of alcohol and put them in a paper bag until reused or leave them under uvc lamp for an hour or so after use, outside and inside.  Even leaving in the sun and turning every now and again should help somewhat.

Offline ML

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 07:11:32 AM »
Let me repeat for all those who think that masks don't help SOMEWHAT the wearer.

Those of you wearing no mask, stand beside me while I am wearing ANY type of mask or face covering.

Now, have a third person stand directly in front of us and let loose with a huge sneeze or cough right into our faces.

I am betting you are going to feel a lot more disgusted (and endangered) at what you receive, than I will.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 07:47:00 AM »
Problem is the reuse of disposable masks that have been collecting droplets here and there, internal and external.

There are machines bought for hospitals that will disinfects N95 masks nearly instantly so they can be reused. For the homeowner that does not have a machine, they should buy multiple masks. Have 7 masks and number each 1 through seven and wear mask #1 on the first day and set it aside after use, hopefully where it can get sun or easily dry out and use #2 on the second day and so on.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Of course Face masks DO help the wearers
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 08:11:40 AM »
Of course they help, just not perfectly

Condoms help reduce the spread of sexual diseases just not perfectly
Wearing sunglasses will protect your eyes from flying debris but not
perfectly. (I use them to protect my eyes from dangerous umbrella drinks)

They aren't perfect but they are better than not using them.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline BC

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 08:17:15 AM »
Gotta be careful about not adding disclaimers to such posts 2tall.. might have folks suffocating themselves with condoms pulled down to their neck.

Offline 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 08:17:39 AM »
There are machines bought for hospitals that will disinfects N95 masks nearly instantly so they can be reused. For the homeowner that does not have a machine, they should buy multiple masks. Have 7 masks and number each 1 through seven and wear mask #1 on the first day and set it aside after use, hopefully where it can get sun or easily dry out and use #2 on the second day and so on.

Almost every hospital has an autoclave, that will do just fine.

BC's tip on spraying alcohol is a great help as well.

GQ's comments were spot on as well
FSUW don't do vague

Offline 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 08:20:25 AM »
Gotta be careful about not adding disclaimers to such posts 2tall.. might have folks suffocating themselves with condoms pulled down to their neck.

;D 

Sometimes it's best to let the herd thin itself.

FSUW don't do vague

Offline msmob

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 08:16:46 AM »
Let me repeat for all those who think that masks don't help SOMEWHAT the wearer.

Those of you wearing no mask, stand beside me while I am wearing ANY type of mask or face covering.

Now, have a third person stand directly in front of us and let loose with a huge sneeze or cough right into our faces.

I am betting you are going to feel a lot more disgusted (and endangered) at what you receive, than I will.

1/ IF I wasn't self-isolating, I'd not be wearing a mask 

2/ I'd not be near another person ( when I go out for my once a day constitutional with Mama)

3/ They do not stop the virus ( surgical / non filter [non-sealed] masks ) and you'd need to be wearing a full face visor

4/ Once damp they are more of a risk than not working a mask

5/ They give the wearer some bizarre sense of 'invulnerability'

6/ Removing or and disposal of  them ( requires special gloves ) - involves risk

FAR better to socially distance, wash your hands and STAY AT HOME ... 

Offline BillyB

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 10:01:29 AM »
FAR better to socially distance, wash your hands and STAY AT HOME ...

That's not what you told the passport control agent in Georgia who was wearing a mask. You told her masks were useless and she took it off after your comment.

The face shield is used to help prevent the virus from landing on the eyes. Goggles work to. On your point #6, special gloves are not required to take off a mask. We are not dealing with poisons or radioactive material. The mask can be taken off with bare hands, without touching the face. The hands must be washed thoroughly after handling the mask. The mask can be reused if dried and set out long enough for the viruses to die/become inactive.

Offline 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Of course face masks help the wearers
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 10:49:02 AM »

Link between air pollution and coronavirus mortality in Italy could be possible
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200406100824.htm

Scientists in Italy find coronavirus on air pollution particles
http://www.timesofisrael.com/scientists-in-italy-find-coronavirus-on-air-pollution-particles/

Coronavirus detected on particles of air pollution
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/24/coronavirus-detected-particles-air-pollution
FSUW don't do vague

Offline msmob

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 01:54:13 AM »
That's not what you told the passport control agent in Georgia who was wearing a mask. You told her masks were useless and she took it off after your comment.

She was wearing a surgical mask for her 'protection' ...  Surgical masks do NOT offer the user any protection from this virus ..it is your good-self that forgets what hes written ...

The face shield is used to help prevent the virus from landing on the eyes. Goggles work to. On your point #6, special gloves are not required to take off a mask. We are not dealing with poisons or radioactive material. The mask can be taken off with bare hands, without touching the face. The hands must be washed thoroughly after handling the mask. The mask can be reused if dried and set out long enough for the viruses to die/become inactive.

Removing the mask is more dangerous than walking around letting it collect any viruses will it was dampened by one's breath ..one is bringing in something potentially infected from outside to one's home..

Of course the mask is 'reusable' - it will be as useless at protecting you as before ..

You could always make from from your hair ..it would be as 'effective'..

Offline BillyB

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 09:06:44 AM »
Surgical masks do NOT offer the user any protection from this virus ..it is your good-self that forgets what hes written ...

I remember what you written but surgical masks do offer protection. Not as good as an N95 mask but something is always better than nothing. Medical experts now recommend going out with some face covering. Any material that filters air can catch some or most of the water droplets the virus rides on before it gets to your lungs.

Offline msmob

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 01:31:43 AM »
SOME nations are recommending masks some sort of material on the face, but it is a pointless exercise.

Remind us what you have posted re the size of the virus...

Proper masks and visors are in short supply and should go to those who are putting their lives on the line.

Offline BC

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 05:10:15 AM »
Moby,

If it reduces the amount of expelled droplets that's fine by me.  Someone else wearing a mask helps me and vice versa.

Offline msmob

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 05:23:13 AM »
There's the rub, BC.. it (only) makes you FEEL better ..   

Offline BC

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 05:40:11 AM »
A virus rarely flies alone.  It's usually attached to some droplet or other particle.

I wouldn't use a mask in the car or in a park but would use one in a store or when waiting in line to get in.  Otherwise, folks look at you strangely, move away or even chastise for not reducing exhaust.

Offline msmob

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 06:31:05 AM »
A virus rarely flies alone.  It's usually attached to some droplet or other particle.

Agreed, but most ( non sealed) masks simply do not work .. try wearing a mask on a cool night, breath out and if wearing glasses, 'wonder' at them steaming up ...

I wouldn't use a mask in the car or in a park but would use one in a store or when waiting in line to get in.  Otherwise, folks look at you strangely, move away or even chastise for not reducing exhaust.

I appreciate one must 'when in Rome ... ', esp. if it's become the socially accepted behaviour, but there are those more deserving of masks who do need to wear them and change them regularly ...  not just to 'stop' a Coronavirus.. 

Offline ML

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 07:56:18 AM »
I suspect I have going to have to repeat this message several times here on this board.

- - - - - - - -

Offline msmob

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2020, 09:00:12 AM »
I suspect I have going to have to repeat this message several times here on this board.

..and confirm ignorance ... fine ...

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2020, 09:11:06 AM »
FWIW....I wear a mask whenever I leave home, but mostly I have been staying home. Several outbreaks near me in packinghouse, factories, and nursing homes.
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Face masks DO help everyone except for Moby
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2020, 10:03:34 AM »
..and confirm ignorance ... fine ...

Excellent, it's nice to know you are an expert.

From the Mayo Clinic
COVID-19: How much protection do face masks offer?

Can face masks help prevent the spread of coronavirus disease 2019
(COVID-19)? Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures,
such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread
of the disease.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

This is from the CDC, but you should contact them and tell them
that they are wrong.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.
http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html#studies

How to make a face covering by the CDC and the US Surgeon General

From NPR
"There is increasing evidence that the virus can be spread by
presymptomatic and asymptomatic carriers."

"If I'm wearing a mask and someone sneezes on me, would
the mask offer some protection?"
http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/04/03/826996154/coronavirus-faqs-is-a-homemade-mask-effective-and-whats-the-best-way-to-wear-one

FSUW don't do vague

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541568
Total Topics: 20870
Most Online Today: 1917
Most Online Ever: 12701