It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: FSUW and Islam  (Read 6236 times)

Offline Icarus

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
FSUW and Islam
« on: July 17, 2007, 12:23:34 AM »
I would like to put this question out there, primarily to FSUW who may be on board.

How do FSUW feel about living in a Middle Eastern country. Im not thinking some where strictly religious like Iraq, Saudi Arabia, but more western, or liberal like UAE (Dubai, Abu Dahbi etc).

I am not Muslim, but the end of this year Im looking at taking a trip to Ukraine; following up on some corespondance and personal tours etc, but going through the UAE for work, with the expectations of moving to Dubai for a couple years.

Ive read in some posts how Islam is somewhat shunned, but I also know that Islam does exist in Eastern EU. Myself being a Christian, I have no prob living in a Moslem country, but with a Uk/Ru cultural upbringing, what difficulties or challenges might this present to a woman?

Thoughts...?
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I come to die, to discover that I had not lived.

Offline swindoom

• Opted-Out
Re: FSUW and Islam
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:52:42 AM »
I know alot of Russian women who will not have anything to do with muslim men, especially from the Middle East.
But I do know a woman, who is from Omsk, who now lives in Kuwait and loves it, although she is living with a christian English guy.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 01:17:11 AM »
I think it would be a good thing to take a close look at the expat lifestyle in UAE or Dubai.  Do you have first hand experience with this?

I know some folks that enjoyed it, others did not.  Have no first hand experience myself.

Have no idea if this could be good or bad for a budding relationship. 

Offline Icarus

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 01:39:33 AM »
Some interesting points there; I especially have to consider the expat lifestyle.

Some other points I should bring up;

1. EXpats generally associate together
2. You need a license to purchase alcohol
3. Dubai is a free trade zone; all the shopping you want at bargain rates
4. Automobiles are relatively cheap
5. Liberal outlook on Islamic policy; ie women do not have to walk behind the men, or eat in segregated areas
6. Expats make a good living
7. Cheap travel; emirates airlines
8. Expat clubs for newbies to learn the ropes etc

Its seem there are a lot of ingredients for a prosperous future. However...the religion is the main factor that I was and still am thinking about.

I will have to look into FSUW in Dubai. Sadly, you will find many working girls there. Arab men have a taste for Eu women, and enough money for many lifetimes.

Good thoughts guys.

Ick
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I come to die, to discover that I had not lived.

Offline I/O

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 03:47:05 AM »
I think it would be a good thing to take a close look at the expat lifestyle in UAE or Dubai. 

The Expat lifestyle versus the Local lifestyle in Dubai is like chalk and cheese IMO. Somehow or another the place does seem to cope with both in relative harmony.  I can't see it being a major issue for a Russian woman who is considering a guy from another country if they share similar religious ideals.

I/O

Offline Shadow

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 04:04:35 AM »
If she is in love with you a FSUW will follow you anywhere. The life you create together is much more important as the place. she may hate it there and tell you, but will endure it.
Regadring Dubai, from a keen observer I know that jobs are paid well, but do not expect stellar treatment unless they really need your skills. One they do not need you, expect to be kicked in the behind (if knives are not on sale).

No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Icarus

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 05:01:06 AM »
Good observations.

To extend the original question. How would a Uk/Ru women feel, hypothetically, marrying an Australian guy currently living in Australia, only to not move to his home country, but to a foreign nation.

What issues could this present? Naturally, there will be a whole new set of immigration laws to consider, and if we were to marry, then in which country to do so also bears importance.

Concerning religion, Im Christian not muslim, but living in a Islamic society might be overwhelming for her, but UAE is one of the more liberal muslim states.

Ick

Offline Shadow

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 05:12:16 AM »
Concerning religion, Im Christian not muslim, but living in a Islamic society might be overwhelming for her, but UAE is one of the more liberal muslim states.

Issues can be that the both of you are without a fried/relitive group. This will make the two of you bond stronger or drive you apart faster.
Regarding the 'liberal', understand that this is quite different from a female perspective. Women may be allowed to go out without the traditional headcloth, but will still be seen as prostitutes if they do. Also the society is very much based on women having a lower position and a more modest role. If your woman is independent and has her own job now, this will be a very big adjustment for her. Unless you can find activities for her as well, it might drive her crazy.
The implication is that she must try to find information about how the society works and see if she can adjust.

One more thing you should consider is the fact that she will have to go through a double adjustment. Once you return to Australia, there will be a new society and culture for her to learn.

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 05:41:42 AM »
Many FSU women live and get along just fine in Turkey, which is predominantly Muslim.  Our best friends live in Istanbul.  He is a Muslim Turk and she is a Christian Ukrainian, and there don't seem to be any problems at all.  Of course there are some significant differences between Turkey and other Muslim countries in the Middle East, but it's an example that I am familiar with.  Around 14% of the population of Crimea is Muslim Tatar and there are a fair amount of mixed marriages.  So if we're talking about it from strictly a religious perspective, I don't see a problem.  With regards to some of the more strict Islamic countries, any woman might have a problem with living under such restrictions.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 05:49:20 AM »
With regards to Turkey, they have an official separation between state and (Islamic) church since 1929.
As such especially in place like Istanbul, Izmir and the southwest coast the Muslims are extremely liberal and have often equal to more liberal views as Christians here. No comparison to Arabic Muslim countries possible.

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 05:52:38 AM »
Shadaw, I agree. That is why I qualified my statements and limited it to the idea of religion and FSUW marrying Muslims

Offline Mir

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 04:07:34 AM »
To some extent the liberal attitudes seen in Turkey will be present in Dubai as well.
However things are changing and trouble can find nonlocal/liberals more easily in Turkey/Dubai.
For an FSU woman married to a Australian it will not be a problem to live in Dubai, at least not at the moment.
And when the situation changes in a way that it is a problem then I seriously doubt that the Australian will be able to live there either.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 06:19:59 AM »
To some extent the liberal attitudes seen in Turkey will be present in Dubai as well.
I extract my views on Dubai from a woman (my sister who enjoyed some shopping sprees).
from this I would say that the extent of liberal attitudes in Turkey is a lot more than in Dubai for people who live there. Shopping customers are always welcome.  ;)

Offline Mir

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 01:16:57 PM »
Perhaps, still have look at the article; 'Turkey's Great Divide' by Andrew Purvis in 'Time' magazine of July 23 (I am not sure if you get the same edition in US as UK)

Offline Icarus

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 01:22:06 AM »
...then I seriously doubt that the Australian will be able to live there either.

If they are going to ax the aussies from living there, then they may as well boot out the brits, and the rest of them. Just guess what that will do to the economy.

Ick

Offline Mir

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 02:54:30 AM »
No body will ax any specific nationality but no right minded person (of any nationality) would like to live in Baghdad, Saudi or Tehran.
The problem is that the rise of Fanaticism is not always controlable and these fanatics don't care about the economy.

Offline Serebro

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 12:55:15 PM »

How do FSUW feel about living in a Middle Eastern country.

Ive read in some posts how Islam is somewhat shunned, but I also know that Islam does exist in Eastern EU. Myself being a Christian, I have no prob living in a Moslem country, but with a Uk/Ru cultural upbringing, what difficulties or challenges might this present to a woman?

Thoughts...?
As soon as I live in Kazan, Tatarstan(about 52% of the population are moslims and about 49% are orthodoxians) there are no difficulties for me! :D

Offline srsol

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 04:28:40 PM »
A hindrance here would be if a "mixed-marriage" couple had a child, then how is the child raised in a "mixed-religion" home?  Christianity and Islam are far different (duh) and would the wife succumb to the husband's demand of raising their child as a Muslim?  Just food for thought.   

Offline ecr844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 05:34:05 PM »
"Ick,"

Once upon a time <not all that long ago> I was looking into doing some contract work in Dubai. I got beat out by a South African... 8) You should do extensive research on this and be sure of the conditions in which you will be living. Yes Dubai is liberal in many ways, but it is a popular and transient spot frequented by many 'types' of muslims. Yes, I'm told that this place is quite popular since Beirut got dicey, and the 'forbidden items' blackmarket florishes there. Even the wahibbis enjoy the liquor from the black market and the prostitutes. One of the people who told me this was in fact a wahibbi and a 'Saudi'. Also, I've heard from unreliable sources that there are a fair amount of Russian Women who work there as well in various hotels and in the service industries. Other concerns as well are that soem employers may attempt to 'take' possesion of your passport for the duration of your employment, and beware of the pre-hospital medical care, and some other medical services as well...YMMV...
ECR844 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:37:59 PM by ecr844 »

Offline Serebro

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 01:20:54 PM »
srsol, it depends on the country and on the fact if the person is  religious or not. Here, in the place where I live you can see a lot of mixed couples and the level of divorces is the same as it is in one-religion marriages.
But I have several moslim friends from Lebanon and they are probably the last people on the Earth with whom I would like to build a family...

Offline vwrw

• Each post of mine is expression of MHO, not a fact
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 06:36:26 PM »
My own feelings are that I would not want to live in such a place.   For me one thing I would not like is that everyone wears arab style clothes and I would feel that I would stand out if I dressed the way I like to dress.
If you don't understand something, why the other person is the idiot?
~ A member of this forum.

Offline TigerPaws

• 16 years together & still very much in love
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 06:43:27 PM »
My own feelings are that I would not want to live in such a place.   For me one thing I would not like is that everyone wears arab style clothes and I would feel that I would stand out if I dressed the way I like to dress.
vwrw,
Believe me you would stand out no matter what you wear.  :devilish:

Are you getting a nice tan?

TigerPaws

Offline vwrw

• Each post of mine is expression of MHO, not a fact
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 07:32:33 PM »
Thank you very much for the nice words.   I am probably starting to look like people who live here.   I am sure you and Victoria have a wonderful life being able to live in places like this. 
If you don't understand something, why the other person is the idiot?
~ A member of this forum.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541778
Total Topics: 20876
Most Online Today: 1403