It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Tips on good shopping i St Petersburg  (Read 4757 times)

Offline bjoer751

• Strange statue in Ventspils, LV
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Tips on good shopping i St Petersburg
« on: August 02, 2007, 12:57:54 PM »
Hi everyone,
I've been a member of the board for some time, and quite enjoy many of the discussions here. And most of the time, I find that people asking questions get some kind of good answer. So, I thought I'd give it a shot...

My fiancee (living in Russia) and I will go to St Petersburg in mid-september for a very short trip (3 days - to stretch my vacation days and to see each other as often as possible we try to plan short trips at least every other month). We've been there once before (went to an opera, all the places a tourist "should" visit, got mugged (her camera), and had a good time). This time we'll go to Peterhof one day, and plan to walk about in Piter the other two days.

The thing is, that her birthday is in august - and we've agreed that I'll send her a small gift on her birthday - and when we get to Piter, we'll go shopping something she wants/needs. (the idea of shopping together was my idea - we've done it a few times before, for shoes, and she still wonders if I don't find it tedious to follow her around 1000 shops... I don't - actually I think it's kind of fun)
Anyhow...

I know that she is looking for a new handbag, and since neither she nor I are familiar with the stores i Piter I thought I'd ask for advice here - on what might be a few good shops to go to?
And before anyone suggests the most expensive brands... I can go as far as $350-400 - but not higher. I'm a normal guy, living with a normal Swedish income. (I'm also in the middle of moving - paying double rents, and saving for our wedding next year...)
So, any advice will be very appreciated - by me and Sasha.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: Tips on good shopping i St Petersburg
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 04:03:23 PM »
got mugged (her camera),

What a coincidence, my fiancee got mugged too and her cell phone was stolen.

Near the Hermitage, there there are hotels that are 4-5 star and they have shops in the area that sell quality items. I wanted to buy a goose egg and checked out all the souvenir shops outside the city center but they did not have the quality eggs but the shops near the city center did and the eggs where not all that expensive compared to the lower quality eggs elsewhere.

Here's a thread where a poster named Phil posted. PM him since he lives there and he may be able to give some tips where to go and where to eat. Also there are pics of the egg I bought.
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=5066.0
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Wayne B

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 04:52:55 PM »
Billy, I wanted to buy an egg, but at Houston customs they confiscate them. You didn't have any problems ???

Offline GalinaF

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 06:59:23 PM »
I know that she is looking for a new handbag, and since neither she nor I are familiar with the stores i Piter I thought I'd ask for advice here - on what might be a few good shops to go to?

Where are you going to stay?

Offline bjoer751

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 08:17:10 PM »
Where are you going to stay?

We've booked a room at Абажуръ на Невском 23 (http://www.abat-jour.ru/), quite cheap and not big - but it's got great location and it seems nice enough.
Last time we stayed at hotel Moscow, but it felt very unpersonal - and also they treated Sasha sort of badly (they asked her for passport every time we came in to the hotel - to check so she had a room..., among other things) - and it's in the south-east end of Nevsky, too far away from the centre.

Offline Phil dAmore

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 11:59:03 PM »
In the past few years there has been an explosion of new malls constructed throughout St. Petersburg, many very close to the metro stations. 

Like any mall anywhere in the world, most of the shops cater towards women.  If it's handbags you want, go to any of these places: Grand Canyon, Mega, Mercury, or the soon-to-be-completed Atlantic City.

Prices are about what you would expect for the quality.  Be warned though:  I never met a woman who bought a new handbag that didn't then want the matching shoes to go with it....

Stay out of Gostiny Dvor on Nevsky.  Far too touristy and overpriced.

Peterhof is a good choice.  Take the bus from Metro Leninsky Prospect. It's faster than the hydrofoil and cheaper.

When you get back to Petersburg, consider a canal boat ride.  Always an enjoyable time, shop around and you can get a good rate on a boat.

Enjoy your stay!
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. . as you grow older, it will avoid you.-- Winston Churchill

Offline bjoer751

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 12:08:51 AM »
Thank's ever so much Phil!
Those we're exactly the answer I hoped for - and more.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 04:45:39 PM »
Billy, I wanted to buy an egg, but at Houston customs they confiscate them. You didn't have any problems ???

I had no problems when I entered the US through Washingtion D.C.  Are you sure Houston customs forbids egg shells? I understand eggs in it's entirety and other food products but egg shells can't be carrying any insects or disease that may destroy American crops. Keep in mind they make imitation goose eggs if you are worried it'll be confiscated or maybe you could have a real egg shipped to you.

If you're willing to buy the egg through the internet, here's a search I've done and maybe you might find one you like.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=russian+goose+egg&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

Here's a little history and pics.
http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/sandgirl/page2.html
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:48:47 PM by BillyB »
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Wayne B

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 07:55:58 AM »
Billy, it is Texas Fish and Wildlife...It says 'Any part or product such as skins, tusk, bone, feathers or eggs. Or products or articles manufactured from'  That is for international flights to Houston ???.  We have a local branch close to my work. I think that I will drop by there and ask them in person.  Thank you for the sites that you posted ;)

Offline Phil dAmore

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 01:01:27 PM »
Thank's ever so much Phil!
Those we're exactly the answer I hoped for - and more.

Hey, it's what we do!  Have a good time!

Don't worry about avoiding temptation. . as you grow older, it will avoid you.-- Winston Churchill

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541781
Total Topics: 20876
Most Online Today: 1647
Most Online Ever: 12701