It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Understanding Lyrics in Music Sung in English  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Journeyman

Understanding Lyrics in Music Sung in English
« on: August 12, 2007, 01:38:57 AM »
Dear Ladies,

May I ask your help?   All the Russian/Ukrainian women I know listen to at least some English/American music.  However, I am not sure if they understand the words.

Please tell me whether it is possible to understand lyrics in music when they are written in a poetic style, rather than in ordinary, prosaic language?  Certainly, such comprehension will require a good level of competency in English, plus perhaps some familiarity with Western culture and colloquial references.  How quickly can one begin to grasp lyrics in this way after immigrating? 

Can you understand this kind of poetic language in music as sometimes being especially evocative, and, of course, romantic?   Much depends upon the melody, etc., but, presumably, it is the two (words and music) together that is the key.

Does it help to have someone translate the words from English to Russian, or does the emotional quality of the lyrics become diminished or lost in the translation?

Thank you for your help.

Journeyman

Offline Lily

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Understanding Lyrics in Music Sung in English
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 01:52:44 AM »
Really appreciate the topic. Thank you!  :)  8)

Yes of course it is possible to understand. Moreover, understanding songs opens a door in the world that is never, or at the very least, seldom taught anywhere. I mean the realities of life, which ultimately made poets composing those lyrics.

The fact that lyrics has been put on music makes them easy and fun to learn and remember. Many lines are really sticky.

I remember old times when people tried to jot down the lyrics of favorite bands like Beatles, Boney M or Abba. Then they tried to translate and to understand what is meant. Sometimes people brought an unknown recording to the company of friends and told 'see what I got, can someone understand what do they sing? Or at least does anyone recognize what language it is?'  :D

Now this exercise is much more easier. If I hear a few words, I just google those short line, and this way I often get the whole song and likely the name of the singer.

It is a very entertaining and useful experience.
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline vwrw

• Each post of mine is expression of MHO, not a fact
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 03:47:54 AM »
One of VWRW's birthday presents from me was an iPod.   As we sit in the Caribbean together she has been downloading songs.    (About 225 so far and climbing daily) She tries for songs with clear English and even enjoys the music and clear lyrics of people like Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra.  

She does a search for the songs lyrics and has found sites on the internet where she has been able to make a word document with the lyrics of the songs she has downloaded so she can follow the lyrics to understand them better.

With some of the newer singers the English is often gibberish and hard to understand but she asks me to explain and I help her with it.  She makes side notes on her word document that help her understand it later.   All, in all she is turning it into a good learning tool for herself.

(Sorry, VWRW and I are sharing my laptop and I did not realize she was logged in and not me,  TG)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 03:59:47 AM by vwrw »
If you don't understand something, why the other person is the idiot?
~ A member of this forum.

Offline I/O

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 04:02:01 AM »
Turbo: Have you gotten some gender issue or.......................? Who is writing what under who's handle? Or who has got who by what handle? :P

I/O
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 04:07:18 AM by I/O »

Offline Turboguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 04:14:26 AM »
If she had me by my handle I/O my brain would have been mush and I would have been unable to write anything.   Usually we are logged into my account unless she wants to make a post but I guess we went to bed last night logged into her account and my eyes were not open yet.

By the way, really nice photo in your Avatar.   You make a nice looking couple. 

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541779
Total Topics: 20876
Most Online Today: 1591
Most Online Ever: 12701